Code of Conduct

Default Who wears hats these days?

Autumn is on our doorstep, the skies in the Northern hemisphere are slowly turning grey. While the wind blows colder each day, I wonder: who now wears hats?

Those beautiful traditional dress hats for men have gone out of fashion in the early sixties, and I guess women's hats have faced the same fate a little later. Some people still buy them, but they belong to a minority group. Are you one of them? If not, do you wear other types of headgear?
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

Default Re: Who wears hats these days?

I wish men's hats would make a comeback. I think they're stylish, but I'd feel funny wearing one.
    I do wear British style flat caps sometimes.
    Rick

Pimps and rap stars/ musicians still wear hats.
    Ashton Kucher does. I do. Doesn't make me any of the previous.. ok maybe the first one. If I find the right hat, I will wear it. Make a fshion statement.
    I'm looking for a fedora-type short-brimmed cool rude boy hat, can't find anywhere.

Gotham

I do - I live in the Southeast so I have two - a Panama hat for the summer months, it's amazing how cool it makes you feel when it catches whatever trace breeze may be stirring - and a wool felt for the winter - a perfect finishing touch and makes you stand out in crowds, especially when claiming your things from coat check at the theatre, opera, or symphony. Both are fedora styled...very traditional. I felt odd wearing them at first, but now it's a part of the wardrobe and routine.

Quote Originally Posted by gruffydd3
    I wish men's hats would make a comeback. I think they're stylish, but I'd feel funny wearing one.
    I do wear British style flat caps sometimes.
    Rick
    Snap!

Bates in Jermyn Street do some lovely ones

Trot

I'm not familiar with Bates, but I have several from James Lock and a couple from Barbour. I'll check to see if I can find any websites that sell Bates.
    Thanks,
    Rick

Bates Gentlemen's Hatter
    21A Jermyn Street
    London SW1Y 6HP

Tel 020 7734 2722

www.bates-hats.co.uk

Sometimes the site is hard to access

Trot

Wow what amazing hats! I'd love to wear a hat... maybe when I'm older. My missus wanted to buy me a Panama hat for my birthday and while I really like them for some reason they always make me think of old soaks drinking Singapore Slings in Raffles.

I am still only a young soak so perhaps not yet.

I think we should start a real hat revival. There must be a society somewhere for men who wear traditional hats: After all there are societies for cigar smokers and moustache growers, surely there will be one for hat fans.

Of course people still wear hats - the baseball cap has become the tribal headgear of Britain's cretins - and you see those arty dressed in black 80s style theatre people wearing little ethnic caps to cover their bald patches.

And at "society parties" there is always some fashion queen trying to catch the Tatler photographer's attention by poncing around in an elaborate hat.

Sikh turbans aren't strictly hats but they look great. And Samuel L Jackson always suited those Kangol fluffy caps. Pity no-one else did.

I have a friend who wears a fedora all winter. Like Renoles, he said he felt funny at first. Now he wears it everyday and everyone else is used to him wearing it now, so they don't stare anymore.

Maybe we should follow suit and just go for it.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by gruffydd3
    I have a friend who wears a fedora all winter. Like Renoles, he said he felt funny at first. Now he wears it everyday and everyone else is used to him wearing it now, so they don't stare anymore.

Maybe we should follow suit and just go for it.
    Rick
    Am I that friend?? I wear hats all winter long, and during fall and spring as well . . . even during the summer. I love hats. As for people staring . . . let them! Who cares? As a matter of fact, I like it if people stare, but I haven't noticed that they do. I always get compliments on my dress hats, most of which I buy at Saks Fifth Avenue. The only thing is: they destroy one's hair. You cannot worry about a hairdo and wear a hat . . . but, as Joan Crawford said: a woman without a hat is like a picture without a frame. I think hats do a great deal for a man's looks, as well. You need a half way decent profile, though. And wear your hats the right way: straight down on your forehead. I cannot stand it when I see a great looking hat sitting back on a person's head. :-X

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    Am I that friend?? I wear hats all winter long, and during fall and spring as well . . . even during the summer. I love hats. As for people staring . . . let them! Who cares? As a matter of fact, I like it if people stare, but I haven't noticed that they do. I always get compliments on my dress hats, most of which I buy at Saks Fifth Avenue. The only thing is: they destroy one's hair. You cannot worry about a hairdo and wear a hat . . . but, as Joan Crawford said: a woman without a hat is like a picture without a frame. I think hats do a great deal for a man's looks, as well. You need a half way decent profile, though. And wear your hats the right way: straight down on your forehead. I cannot stand it when I see a great looking hat sitting back on a person's head. :-X
    Well said.
    Rick

Why So Serious?

i always buy hat from big-it-up, very stylish :P
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

For the past ten years I have refused to bow to the dictates of others and have worn a hat daily. I am a Canadian in my fifties living in Norway. I have two concerns. First, protection from the cold. Second, protection from the sun. Fashion comes much later on the list.

The hat I choose varies with the temperature. If the temperature is below -10 C (+24 F) then I have a sheep skin hat that can keep my ears warm!

From -10 to +5 C (41 F) I use a flat cap with hidden ear-flaps to be used only if I am desperate.

From +5 to +25 C (77F) I use a wide-brimmed Stetson.

When the temperature gets to be over +25, then it is time to get out my Panama hat.

I only wear hats in summertime vacation in Spain or Portugal.

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I wear hats, but usually to look jaunty or stylish.

I think fedoras and "newsboy" caps are particuarly cute. I'll admit I don't wear them for any kind of functional purpose.

I wear hats quite a lot. In summer I wear wide straw hats and in winter thicker ones that complement my coat colour (usually beige or black). I agree about the hair, but it is worth the sacrifice and the odd stares from strangers. I feel good and feminine in my gloves and hats, and don't really care what the current trend is.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

I love hats and used to wear baseball cap-type hats but recently I've gotten into fashion hats such as fedoras.

I love hats and wear them daily. I'm not sure I always look completely in style, though... I have a small head, and it's far more difficult to get hats than it is to get drugs. We have ONE milliner left in Denmark, and even though her hats are wonderful, they are horrible expensive too. However, I recently bought a red hat from her - knowing very well that I'll have to eat rice for it the rest of the summer. It's worth it!

Forgot to say:

Of course I LOVE men in hats! [smiley=kiss.gif]

I wear hats sometimes. Among my favourites are porkpies and ascots. I like fedoras too, but I think other ones suit my head and face shape better. How did I discover this? Just spend some time in a hat shop and try EVERYTHING!!! I live in Vancouver, Canada, and my favourite hat shop here is Edie's Hats located on Granville Island. It's bloody awesome! By the way, I'm younger as well (in my 20's) and wish that hats were back in style. I don't care though, I still wear them.

A beret. In navy.
    Cordially,

Serge

I hated trucker caps back when they were the rage in my area (thanks to Ashton Kutcher). Now that nobody really wears them anymore, I went to the store and bought 5 Von Dutch trucker caps. Call me a hypocrite.

I wear a cap (does that count?) when I'm on holiday as the sun would burn me baldy noggin if I didn't :-/

I have a brown sheepskin aviator and a black fake fur cossack-style hat for cold days, I hate having cold ears.

I wear lots of hats in winter (in summer I can't stand anything on my head, in fact last summer I've completely shaved my hair) but my english vocabulary for hats isn't that good (my italian one isn't, neither!) so I can't describe them to you... :-[

I wear fashion hats as well. They look great, plus I don't have to worry as much about my hair. It's a shame that hats are out of style. Here's hoping for a comeback.

Coming into this discussion rather late! while Locke and Bates make lovely hats, the neophyte might want to try the range at M&S at the moment an absolute steal at 25.

I've always had hair that would result in instant hat-head that would require washing to get rid of. So generally, I only wear hats to cover up bad hair, bed-head, etc. and then the hat is on until the end of the day.

I`m wearing hat all the time. Especially in winter time it gets pretty damn cold without, since I don`t basically have any hair.

Some may think it is tasteless, but I actually do wear caps. And in my fav cap is this text: MOTHERTRUCKER. (Eh, I think it`s quite funny)

Quote Originally Posted by Trotsky
    Bates Gentlemen's Hatter<br>21A Jermyn Street<br>London SW1Y 6HP<br><br>Tel 020 7734 2722<br><br>http://www.bates-hats.co.uk<br><br>S...r>Sometimes the site is hard to access<br><br>Trot
    Egad Trotsky you hit the nail bang on the head!

Please read on for the "hat etiquette":

http://www.bcvc.net/hats/
    Let your nose be your pilot

I've got a fedora for the summer, its white and linen-y, I usually only wear it when I go out. would like to look into getting more. I also have one of those black gucci buckets.. but those have slid out of style quite hard haha

I wear these all the time
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

In Colorado, there seems to be a Beanie frenzy. Everyone wears a their snowboarding hats every day. I'm into the beanie hats with the lip. I own a nice blue one that I feel makes a better "everyday wear" hat than the beanies. I look like Dopey sometimes but I love the hat!!

Quote Originally Posted by levannah
    I wear hats quite a lot. In summer I wear wide *straw hats and in winter thicker ones that complement my coat colour (usually beige or black). I agree about the hair, but it is worth the sacrifice and the odd stares from strangers. *I feel good and feminine in my gloves and hats, and don't really care what the current trend is.

Amen, sister!

I cant stand hants! The only time I wear one is when im playing golf. Ive got a red Titleist and a white Titleist hat to keep the sun out of my eyes

People all over my university wear hats, and half the time they look really bad.

But for some odd reason, I always fall for a girl in a baseball hat :

I prefer sunglasses to keep the sun out of my eyes. But since my sunglasses broke recently, I need to find some new ones. Any recommended online vendors for designer sunglasses? Or should I just use eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman
    I prefer sunglasses to keep the sun out of my eyes. But since my sunglasses broke recently, I need to find some new ones. Any recommended online vendors for designer sunglasses? Or should I just use eBay.
    hey, mine broke last summer too! I think I dropped them too many times, the spring hinge kinda popped off. I couldn't find the screw.

I normally don't wear a hat because I like styling my hair. However, when my hair is long and I don't have time to get it cut, I wear a designer baseball cap style hat to keep it down. Also, in the winter, I wear a beanie type hat because it's cold. It's also quite stylish and I don't have to waste time with my hair.

Borsalino fedoras. Jack Abramoff wore one at his sentencing. Best hats there are.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Some people are not addicted to frags. Can you imagine that?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bottoni
    Some people are not addicted to frags. Can you imagine that?

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/
    Like that site.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault