Code of Conduct

Default Pleated Pants A Good Idea??

just wondering what everybodys opinion was on 'pleats', particulary pleated khakis. i just bought a pair of dockers classis fit pleated khakis, but I'm having second thoughts since pleats seem to be a lil unpopular these days. on ralph lauren's web site the following was said:

Do you recommend flat-front or pleated trousers?

Though the late nineties saw pleats all but disappear from pants the way they did during the WWII when fabric rationing demanded it, the forgiving folds are now back¸you once again have a difficult choice. As a rule, flat-front pants have a sleeker, cleaner silhouette, but this means they conceal no flaws. If you have a little extra up front, pleats will ensure that the pants fall straight down, instead of hugging your stomach unflatteringly. Just make sure there are two pleats¸the smaller one on the outside will take the heat off the larger, front pleat which should remain flat and closed. When pleats pucker open, you╬re too big for your britches. (Or, if you prefer, they╬re too small for you.) At that point, rather than disguising any girth you╬re trying to hide, the pleats are accentuating it. Try moving up a waist size, because even the best-made clothes need to fit well to flatter you. One last thing: generally you want your pleated pants cuffed. That doubled material at the bottom of the leg provides the extra weight that╬ll always ensure your pleats hang straight down.

what do you guys think?

Default Re: Pleated Pants A Good Idea??

I don't like pleated pants, full stop. I saw them for the first time in my life when I came to the States and went shopping for a suit and hated them from day one.

cheers,
    maksidrom

I hate them too - but like the website said they might look better on certain body types. But a pant with a flat front should fit bigger guys too if it's well-cut. I'm a fairly big guy but don't really have a belly and flat-front pants are all I have and I like they way they look. But I also wear all my shirts untucked.

I'll start with a pedantic point. When the article says '2' it really means 4 pleats - ie 2 on each side! We call that a 'double pleat' over here and it is the double pleat that is considered very old hat. A single pleat look is preferred, giving a leaner line and not requiring the re-viled turn up or cuff to make it work.

Having said that, I prefer the flat front. I feel the pleated look will make a come-back but it needs a longer rest - especially with the trend towards a 'boot-cut' trouser. This style cannot work with pleats.

The Dockers look is not currently in favour in Britain. It still has a following, but a small one.

Trot

I do like pleated pants, they just look better on me. I agree with trot on the double/single pleat issue. I prefer single pleat trousers.

I love Levi's Sta-Prest pants with the crease hard as a rock.

From what I've heard pleates actually draw attention to your stomach area because the creases draw the eye in a vertical direction up from the thigh to the stomach, not really the best for those guys who are trying to hide their pot belly. Really I see very little use for them, and flat fronts just look cooler. 8)

when done right, pleats can look very elegant and classy. forget the trends. pleats are a classic style.

with that said, the only pants i have that are pleated are on my ralph lauren purple label suit. they are a far cry from the sloppy pleats you see on khakis and more casual pants. i generally only wear pleats on more formal occasions.

i'm also not a fan of single pleats. double is the way to go. when i think see single pleats it reminds of an 80's/early 90's attempt to update the pleated look. it just ends up looking outdated, wheareas doubles are always classic.

Pleats are a blessing for men with larger builds, like my father. However for stick men like myself they are useless and look outdated, so I opt for flat fronts.

I think on some men they look good. Though, overall, I shudder when I see them. I tried a pair of pleated pants on once and thought they looked foul on me. They add all that extra fabric that bulges out and looks most boxy and unflattering. As it happens, I am very slim, I weigh about 130 or around there lbs., very low body fat, and putting pleats on me often looks ridiculous. If I were to wear them, they would have to be well done and very subtle. I think they usually look best on larger men, or should be very discreet. Depends. Some guys can pull them off, but on the whole I dislike them.

Flat fronts forever!

Regards,
    Steve

I always thought pleats made men look fat, but reading this thread has convinced that the men who wear them are fat to begin with! I like slim fitting, flat fronts on a man. I like to see his figure, especially his bum! We women feel cheated by the hanging-crotch, baggy gangbanger look that is so popular with younger men. I am praying the fashion pendulum swings the other way soon and we will be seeing them in stretch Lycra bicycle type trousers! "Show us what you got, baby!!" ;D

SC, CA, NV- Who knows where I'll be next?

From my point of view, I have several points of view
    With casual pants I would never think of even trying them. Clean lines rule in this case.
    I do have a couple of suits with pleated pants that give varied impressions. The first is what I call my Cheetta suit. It has double pleats which are very small and give me a streamlined appearance but with the formality of typical pleats. Then I have what I call my elephant suit. It has triple pleats with the center pleat on each side very large. It gives the impresson of being conservative, solid and when the jacket is in place, an air of wisdom. Each look has its uses. It also adds variety. In all I think pleats should be used for more formal effect.

Flat-fronted trousers have a more elegant look than their pleated version. If one was to wear a pleated trouser/pant at all, then make sure it has only 1 (yes, not more than one) pleat.

My preference is for a snugger fit with no turn-ups.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Guys in pleated pants is never good. Just not flattering to any build, not that I've seen.

But I'm sure I wear tons of crap guys wince at, so...

Anyway, before I go, I just have to get this off my chest:

The only things worse than pleated pants on a man?
    Jean shorts
    Big Johnson t-shirts
    Tevas (the flip flop Tevas are acceptable, but the strappy ones are not)
    Tapered leg pants or jeans
    Gold chains, or pretty much any necklace--also those puka shell necklaces, but gold chains are the WORST
    Bracelets (WHY are so many guys wearing jewelry these days?)
    Mock turtlenecks

Quote Originally Posted by gooderin
    Guys in pleated pants is never good. Just not flattering to any build, not that I've seen.

But I'm sure I wear tons of crap guys wince at, so...

Anyway, before I go, I just have to get this off my chest:

The only things worse than pleated pants on a man?
    Jean shorts
    Big Johnson t-shirts
    Tevas (the flip flop Tevas are acceptable, but the strappy ones are not)
    Tapered leg pants or jeans
    Gold chains, or pretty much any necklace--also those puka shell necklaces, but gold chains are the WORST
    Bracelets (WHY are so many guys wearing jewelry these days?)
    Mock turtlenecks

Ooooh, but John Wayne wore a slave bracelet and OMG, the hottest thing on the planet!
    Please, spritz responsibly.