Code of Conduct

Default How old is your wardrobe?

The contents I mean ;D.

I have recently finished an autobiography by Wallis Simpson in which she of course comments on Edward's much-celebrated sense of style. In particular she noted that he never appeared to have a brand new suit of clothes. When she quizzed him on this he explained that he rarely bought a new suit but often had his old clothes slightly restyled/refurbished, many of which he had handed down to him (some by his Grandfather!) This is of course the way of the British Royals, the men in particular. I recall seeing a photo of the present Prince of Wales in Vogue a few years back. He was sporting a great-coat with huge collar that had belonged to his grandfather.

Of course with mens' style there is a certain timelessness which may not be so true with ladies fashion. In any case we are now bombarded by new styles and are tempted to start anew each season.

What do you people do? Do you retain favourite items for years? Do you chuck things out each season? What's the average age of your wardrobe?

Trot

Default Re: How old is your wardrobe?

I'd say it depends on the item and its quality. I have stuff i've worn for years and stuff that lasts a season. I invest more money in good-quality classics (suits, jackets, coats) that last a few seasons, but but trendier stuff isn't really worth the big splurge, unless I really fall in love with it.
    Some classic things (like Chanel suit) I imagine I will be able to wear in a decade from now, same goes for quality leather handbags (I have some vintage pieces from my Grandma and they're still in good form and terribly chic). I clear out a lot of stuff each season and donate to a charity if I haven't really worn it or I decide I won't wear it anymore. Usually I stick by a rule that for each new item in, one thing has to go, so I try to avoid clutter.
    Shoes are another matter, it is usually an irrational urge to get a new pair, and the more I have, the less I wear each pair so it automatically lasts longer. I get stuff like winter leather boots each year as they usually start showing wear&tear after a season, but classic evening heels usually last me for years. Same goes for really expensive high-quality shoes.
    'I am not difficult, I am definite!' - Hedy Lamarr

I also donate to charity twice a year. I spend the most on shoes, jeans and outer-wear , so these 3 categories contain my best quality stuff where certain items are almost 10 years old. I usually spend less on knitwear & shirts since I think many cheap brands look equally good. Unfortunately the quality is inferior, and H&M & Zara stuff seldomly lasts more than 1-2 years.
    Then there are things like cufflinks and ties that ll probably last a life time.

Stuff Ive had for ages:
    Timberland Boots - these just look better with age
    Clarks Wallabees
    Countless piques, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, Fred Perry, Ben Sherman etc.
    Most of my jeans (22 pairs at the moment...)
    My Barbour Beaufort jacket

MMM

Yeah, I think I have developed a 'look' over the years that doesn't need that much updating. It stems partly from the look proposed by people like Paul Weller of the Style Council in the early 80's (an updated 'Mod' style) and one which he has stuck to valiantly. One of my favourite items is a GianFranco Ferre nearly-black woolen winter jacket that I got in about 1987! Also one or two vintage Armani pieces.

I agree that accessories like cuff links and watches can last many, many years. On that front I have a Mandarina Duck wallet that I bought in Italy in 1986 and it is still perfect

I do also have a bit of a clear out each season - I always try to mke sure I have a photo of a particular item, if I am planning to dispose of it. Bit vain perhaps......

Trot

I noticed lately that most of my best stuff is usually the oldest stuff I have. It's also the least trendiest. If you buy high priced, timeless (but updated) looking clothes I think you can usually squeeze 5-10 years out of them depending on the item.

some of my oldest and best items include

RA.RE grey/black randomwashed jeans id say about 5 years now, still look excellent
    Energie 3/4 denim jacket/coat, very tailored, 3 buttons - 3 years old
    Ferre faux fur / chorduoroy coat, deep brown on the inside, dark dark green chord on the outside, 3 years
    Various versace suits and vests, 2-5 years
    armani suit, 2001, navy with pinstripes, almost pencil suit in shape
    Versace Tux - I think this is from the late 90's still looks amazing.
    alot of vintage sunglases, versace ysl etc from 70's 80's 90's
    a few dkny coats from circ. 2000 (when they still made nice stuff)
    some zip up hoodies of various marks from 1999-2000 era.
    a few vintage sears jackets and jackets from poland circa 1970's, super tailored/slim fitting (thanks pops)

(im 22 years old so keep that in mind most of this stuff seems pretty "old" to me maybe not you guys

- Tudor osterprince watch from the 60's (i think), smooth bezel, oyster band, roman dial, really rare, cool
    - Bulova super seville - not sure when these were produced im guessing late 70's early 80's theyre pretty much rolex presidents from 3 feet away until you can read the bulova sign
    - Vintage gucci watch (late 90's, somewhat in the style of a patek)
    - older cuff links 70's usually
    - I always carry around my cigarettes in a cigarette case, 1940's spring loaded dispenser, really neat.
    - cigarette holder from 70's.

I've found the best way to wear vintage gear is to mix and match original pieces with new pieces of a similar but updated style vintage accesories are where its at

Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    I noticed lately that most of my best stuff is usually the oldest stuff I have. It's also the least trendiest. If you buy high priced, timeless (but updated) looking clothes I think you can usually squeeze 5-10 years out of them depending on the item.

some of my oldest and best items include

RA.RE grey/black randomwashed jeans id say about 5 years now, still look excellent
    Energie 3/4 denim jacket/coat, very tailored, 3 buttons - 3 years old
    Ferre faux fur / chorduoroy coat, deep brown on the inside, dark dark green chord on the outside, 3 years
    Various versace suits and vests, 2-5 years
    armani suit, 2001, navy with pinstripes, almost pencil suit in shape
    Versace Tux - I think this is from the late 90's still looks amazing.
    alot of vintage sunglases, versace ysl etc from 70's 80's 90's
    a few dkny coats from circ. 2000 (when they still made nice stuff)
    some zip up hoodies of various marks from 1999-2000 era.
    a few vintage sears jackets and jackets from poland circa 1970's, super tailored/slim fitting (thanks pops)

(im 22 years old so keep that in mind most of this stuff seems pretty "old" to me maybe not you guys

- Tudor osterprince watch from the 60's (i think), smooth bezel, oyster band, roman dial, really rare, cool
    - Bulova super seville - not sure when these were produced im guessing late 70's early 80's theyre pretty much rolex presidents from 3 feet away until you can read the bulova sign
    - Vintage gucci watch (late 90's, somewhat in the style of a patek)
    - older cuff links 70's usually
    - I always carry around my cigarettes in a cigarette case, 1940's spring loaded dispenser, really neat.
    - cigarette holder from 70's.

I've found the best way to wear vintage gear is to mix and match original pieces with new pieces of a similar but updated style vintage accesories are where its at
    czesc, Wow! Cool or what!? I love the idea of vintage smoking accessories even though I no longer smoke.

Trot

I barely smoke anymore either, i actually quit for about 2 years in a row, now moved to a slightly more cosmopolitain city.. so occaisionally for the look

I am a keeper of all things I own. I really havn't changed my style at all in at least 5 years. I can date my Iron Maiden t-shirt to the 9th grade (it not has not sleeves and is barely big enough to fit). I am a simple dresser so I don't really have much expensive or special clothing. I wear jeans and t-shirts every day. I have the occasional flannel or nice long sleeve shirt but I am pretty bland. I really like the 90's style and if I could, I would have clothes dating all the way back to the Tommy Hill days and Jump suits where everywhere. High top shoes with baggy everything. My wardrobe is only 5 years old max and I'm going to update my jeans by getting rid of some and buying more because I'm always getting those holes at the seam of the back pockets. All of my jeans end up with huge holes in the butt. I need to update some stuff but for now it stays old and messy....