Code of Conduct

Default Disposable Clothing vs. Real Clothing

To clarify...disposable clothing to me is something that I will pick up relatively cheap and know that it will last for just the season. Examples of this for me, Tshirts and sweaters from say Tarjay or Limited, Old Navy, etc.... Real/Quality Clothing to me is the investment of good classic pieces that you will have for longer than a couple of seasons.

I honestly used to be a fashion snob only buying good high quality stuff...but then I started hanging out at the horse barn all the time and realized that I was ruining my clothes and no one cared what the hell I was wearing...my corporate days were over and so voila I started laying off and loaded up on disposable clothing.

Just wondering if anyone else kinda shares this thought.

Default Re: Disposable Clothing vs. Real Clothing

:-/ Well, what else were you, to do? If you're going to be around barns and such, what's the point of dressing for corporate business? I suppose you could have gone for high end tees, and all that, and super expensive boots, and accessories, but that seems excessive. Many of us have 'wardrobe' crises, as we . . . mature. I'm in the middle of one, right now. My passion has always been for clothes. Shopping used to be a full time job, between what I bought, ordered, 'held,' etc., for me or my sister. I loved it at the time, but at age 49, I'm now the proud owner of way too many very good pieces, some of which I no longer need. So, what's there, to do? Buy more good things, and add to the stock? Much as I love to shop, I buy very little anymore, because I just don't need it. Also, good things last a long, long time. About the worst thing that can happen to them, is an attack by moths. This is life, I suppose.

wait till H&M comes to you then you can get great disposable clothing and still be a snob. in fact I like it better when you have to get the cheap stuff only in EU, it will be sad to have it available to everyone in LA but it will be fun too

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_Slavik
    To clarify...disposable clothing to me is something that I will pick up relatively cheap and know that it will last for just the season. Examples of this for me, Tshirts and sweaters from say Tarjay or Limited, Old Navy, etc....
    I don't get this, I constantly see people talking about how clothing from Target or other low end retailers will only last a short period of time. I have clothing from Target, Express, and other low end retailers that is several years old, that I wear on a very regular basis, and that still looks great. In fact I can't think of a single piece of clothing that I have ever bough that only lasted a single season. In fact my dress shirts from Express seem to be holding up much better than my Perry Ellis dress shirts bought at almost the same time. When I think about the fact that my Costume National tshirts made from 100% cotton are supposed to only be hand washed and tshirts I get from Target can be tossed in the washer and then in the dryer with no ill effects it makes me wonder if the shirts from Target aren't actually better made.

While you will almost never find the quality of design or fit at a low end store that you can get by buying high end designer clothes I have seen no evidence that the quality of construction and durability are any better with a $500 shirt than they are with a $15 shirt, and my wardrobe ranges from Dolce & Gabbana to Dior Homme to Costume National to Wal-Mart.

So what is it that people like you are doing to mess up your cheap clothing so badly?

Quote Originally Posted by kilted
    I don't get this, I constantly see people talking about how clothing from Target or other low end retailers will only last a short period of time. I have clothing from Target, Express, and other low end retailers that is several years old, that I wear on a very regular basis, and that still looks great. In fact I can't think of a single piece of clothing that I have ever bough that only lasted a single season. In fact my dress shirts from Express seem to be holding up much better than my Perry Ellis dress shirts bought at almost the same time. When I think about the fact that my Costume National tshirts made from 100% cotton are supposed to only be hand washed and tshirts I get from Target can be tossed in the washer and then in the dryer with no ill effects it makes me wonder if the shirts from Target aren't actually better made.

While you will almost never find the quality of design or fit at a low end store that you can get by buying high end designer clothes I have seen no evidence that the quality of construction and durability are any better with a $500 shirt than they are with a $15 shirt, and my wardrobe ranges from Dolce & Gabbana to Dior Homme to Costume National to Wal-Mart.

So what is it that people like you are doing to mess up your cheap clothing so badly?
    I don't agree at all, all my high end dress shirts last beautifully with proper care and my low end stuff is crap, not that I have anymore.. i really just stopped buying it because of the constant need to replace, it actually became expensive!

Certain things I will expect more life out of ie. a nice sweater, dressy clothes, basically anything I don't wear a lot or year round.

It isn't necessarily an issue of more expensive things though. To argue that designer stuff is almost always unmatched as far as quality is concerned by cheaper stuff is rediculous. I mean if we're comparing Wal-Mart stuff vs. Armani perhaps, but there are a lot of places where you can get stuff that qualitywise matches or comes very close to designer stuff yet you don't pay the 600% markup because it has XXXXXXX's name on it.

There are plenty of stores which sell basic items at a quality similar to the top end stuff, for a whole lot less.

If you're into stuff like Velvet jackets, minkskin coats, etc. etc. then maybe a different story.

But to argue to me that the pair of Dolce and Gabbana jeans I saw at Holt Renfrew a while ago for $400 is of rediculously higher quality than the ones you buy at American Eagle or the Gap for 1/8th the price doesn't make any sense at all. 80% of the price you pay for those jeans is for the D and the G on the label (which will be obscured by your belt anyways!)

It's all about fit. Not having some big name on everything so you can scream out "I'M RICH!" to everyone you come across.

"Disposable" clothes just look cheap on me. They don't hang right, they don't move well, and they're usually cut too short for me. I don't feel good in them. But your philosophy works well for several of my friends, though, who are younger and, more significantly, thinner than I am. They can get away with Target, Old Navy, H&M, etc., and they always look so cute in this stuff. I love the *idea* of cheap clothing that I can toss, not have to be a slave to, but it just looks awful on me. Even when I was younger and thin cheap trendy clothing didn't look as good on me as the higher end stuff - probably because I'm tallish (5'8"). Now that I'm back in school full time, it doesn't really matter what I wear. I go around in jeans, sneakers, boots, tee shirts, sweaters & jackets. And I know I look like hell! When the time comes for me to look for a job I will have to shop for some new clothing and will splurge again on some good (relatively) clothes. I don't believe in wearing labels and "names" just to show off. I hate that, even when I have plenty of money I can't bring myself to wear stupid designer labels plastered all over my things.

Blog Entries

My wardrobe primarily consists of Old Navy, Gap, Target, & Wal-Mart. I don't have money for the higher-end stuff. Plus my weight fluctuates SO MUCH that it's pointless to buy something nice that I won't be able to fit in within a couple months. And then by the time I fit back into it, it's not in season. Maddening!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

i understand that old navy shirts rips easily or just doesn't last...........
    i shop from the 99 cent store....the local swapmeet...old navy...target...walmart...marc jacobs...ebay...helmut lang...H&M..etc
    whatever who cares...
    if you like that striped basic tee from gap get it...
    if you like that jacket from marc ...get it...
    there are no boundaries...
    and who cares on what you wear....as long as you look good in it...
    who cares what the tag is inside the article of clothing
    if the shirt you get from target rips after "a season"...too bad...

but of course investment shoppign is always better...
    quality over quantity...
    but there has to be a balance...
    unless you are darn filthy rich
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.