Code of Conduct

Default 'Best Dressed Film'

I read an article some time ago in which top designers were asked which Film was the 'Best Dressed' in their opinion.

I cannot recall all the replies but Mr Armani chose Cary Grant in Notorious, Vivienne Westwood said The Red Shoes and others included Brideshead Revisited, Death in Venice and Top Hat among their Best Dressed movies.

What do you guys and gals think?

Trot

Default Re: 'Best Dressed Film'

The most elegant, best dressed, high style and debonair man that I have ever seen in a movie, is Zachary Scott, in MILDRED PIERCE. He played a fallen aristocrat with unerring taste in clothes, manner and gesture. As for women: two 'entrances' stand out in my mind; both were breathstopping. One is Vivien Leigh, standing in the doorway in her scarlet colored velvet gown, in Gone With the Wind. The other, is Audrey Hepburn, on the stairs, about to leave for the ball in My Fair Lady. But I've got to tell you: the wardrobe that Doris Day wore in PILLOW TALK, designed by Jean Louis, was off the planet beautiful. She wore clothes extremely well. Another super elegant woman was Lana Turner, in PEYTON PLACE. She could wear a tailored brown coat, and look like a queen. Ava Gardner was sumptuously dressed during some scenes, in THE BAREFOOT CONTESSA. And she had an absolutely perfect, body.

For me the following stand out-

Audrey Hepburn in her 'apres-ski' outfit at the start of Charade

Many of the scenes in The Red Shoes

In Brideshead Revisited the scenes in Venice I find very attractive, especially to contrast the clothes with those worn at Brideshead.

Trot

Nice topic!

Death in Venice certainly has a high rating in my stylish films list. Especially Silvana Mangano (Tadzioās mother) was rather strikingly dressed.

My Fair Lady also comes into mind with as reference points the opera (Poiret inspired dresses) and Ascot (black and white) scenes.

Le Temps Retrouvˇ is exquisite from beginning till end (and of course Catherine Deneuve is stunning as an overly ripe Odette de Crˇcy).

Elizabeth (with amongst others Cate Blanchett) is beautifully styled with a very acute sense of colour.

Rebel Without a Cause (1955) had a tremendous impact on youth culture, and I think an important part of the appeal came from the excellent wardrobe choices for the entire cast. James Dean's red leather jacket became a trademark of rebellion. In fact when I saw Brad Pitt in 'Fight Club', it strongly reminded me of James Dean in RWAC:

http://www.bradpittfan.com/pics/movies/mfi022a.jpg

'Rebel' may not have been the pinnacle of high fashion, but the wardrobes for James Dean, Nathalie Wood, and Sal Mineo were exactly right in every detail.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

MJH

One of the few instances I recall where the clothing in a film had an impact on me was Armani's wardrobe for Richard Gere and Lauren Hutton in American Gigolo. Coming as it did in 1980/81 (at the close of the Disco Era), the clothing in that movie was a revelation to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    Rebel Without a Cause (1955) had a tremendous impact on youth culture, and I think an important part of the appeal came from the excellent wardrobe choices for the entire cast. James Dean's red leather jacket became a trademark of rebellion. In fact when I saw Brad Pitt in 'Fight Club', it strongly reminded me of James Dean in RWAC:

http://www.bradpittfan.com/pics/movies/mfi022a.jpg

'Rebel' may not have been the pinnacle of high fashion, but the wardrobes for James Dean, Nathalie Wood, and Sal Mineo were exactly right in every detail.
    Oh, you're so right. That's why I singled out PEYTON PLACE. Same reason: the actors were dressed 'just so,' for the characters that they portrayed. This has not often been the case, with glamorous stars of the past. At certain points in their careers, they dressed like stars, and never mind what the characters they were playing, may have worn. It was refreshing to see a glamor girl like Lana Turner, wearing neat, tailored clothes that suited her role in PP. If we're going to talk about 'suitability,' many other films come to mind. As with 'Rebel,' the movie HUD, was excellently costumed. You could fairly smell the dust and grit from the range, on everyone in the film.

Must say Marlon Brando in The Wild One (1953).

http://www.imdb.com/gallery/mptv/112...th_key=0047677

That look is fantastic, I wish I could pull it of myself but I have a feeling I shouldn«t even try... Early Brando and James Dean
    were just unbelievably cool.

/mmm

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Must say Marlon Brando in The Wild One (1953).

That look is fantastic, I wish I could pull it of myself but I have a feeling I shouldn«t even try... Early Brando and James Dean
    were just unbelievably cool.

/mmm
    I love the The Wild One. It was in that film, that I first saw Marlon Brando. He just knocked me out. Critics often suggested that Brando copied James Dean's halting, mumbling, speaking style. Both of them were just amazing. They radiated, disinterest. :P

Didn«t they have the same method-acting coach?

/mmm

Gosh, I'm not sure if Dean and Brando shared the same coach. Didn't Brando use Lee Strasberg? I think so. Not sure about James Dean. ???

Martin Scorsese's The Age of Innocence (1993). One of the most detailed period drama's with Kubrick's Barry Lydon.

Wong Kar Wai's In the Mood for Love (2001). The movie is rather boring but stylisticly it's amazing.

Gatacca with Armani clothes, the rest of the movie is very good too.

Most leading ladies in Alfred Hitchcock movies.

Jean-Luc Godard's films from the 1960s always seem to have well-dressed casts. Anna Karenin in Une Femme est une femme or Jean Seberg & Jean-Paul Belmondo in A bout de souffle. Then Alphaville, Pierrot le Fou, Masculin-feminin. I quite like that sixties new wave thing. Though the films are sometimes bollocks, Godard's in particular.

Also I always wanted a parka like Han Solo from the Empire Strikes Back.

ocean's 11 and the talented mr. ripley

and i'm gonna cheat and just mention an actor but i think Jude Law is one of the best style icons of recent years. everything he wears looks so good on him and so effortless. pure elegance.

Here's a vote for Pierce Brosnan in both the Bond films and The Thomas Crown Affair

And of course, Sean Connery's James Bond films were high style, as well. He too is an amazingly elegant man.

Quote Originally Posted by mgarisbn
    And of course, Sean Connery's James Bond films were high style, as well. He too is an amazingly elegant man.
    Thinking of Sean Connery reminded me of the Untouchables - tutti Armani!

Trot

You said it, Trotsky . . . exceptionally dressed men in that film.

There are so many well dressed films. In my fashion's eye I love:

-Antonioni's Blow-up. The coolest of cool.
    -The padded and quilted jackets of Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet.
    -The military uniforms in Francesco Rosi's Bizet's Carmen.
    -Bogart in anything: Treasure of the Sierra Madre for casual, The Big Sleep for urban business day-wear, and Casablanca for evening to sunrise.
    -Alain Delon in Le Cercle Rouge and Un Flic. Films with subtle hints at how a man should dress (the police firearms instructor who says always carry a lighter or key-carrier in your suit coat pocket so that the weight will help it swing out of the way when you go for your gun.)
    -Nothing tops the glamour clothes on the men in Fellini's 8 and a half, but those in La Dolce Vita come close.
    -Speaking of Armani's film clothes, his wardrobe for James Caan in Thief must not be forgotten.

Kinda fun thread, but one must really try to get the best of the best since all films try to pick good mood and theatrically appropriate clothes.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    There are so many well dressed films. ŹIn my fashion's eye I love:

-Antonioni's Blow-up. ŹThe coolest of cool.
    -The padded and quilted jackets of Zeffirelli's Romeo and Juliet.
    -The military uniforms in Francesco Rosi's Bizet's Carmen.
    -Bogart in anything: Treasure of the Sierra Madre for casual, The Big Sleep for urban business day-wear, and Casablanca for evening to sunrise.
    -Alain Delon in Le Cercle Rouge and Un Flic. ŹFilms with subtle hints at how a man should dress (the police firearms instructor who says always carry a lighter or key-carrier in your suit coat pocket so that the weight will help it swing out of the way when you go for your gun.)
    -Nothing tops the glamour clothes on the men in Fellini's 8 and a half, but those in La Dolce Vita come close.
    -Speaking of Armani's film clothes, his wardrobe for James Caan in Thief must not be forgotten.

Kinda fun thread, but one must really try to get the best of the best since all films try to pick good mood and theatrically appropriate clothes.
    --Chris
    Beautifully elocuted. Trotsky really did come up with a challenging 'thread!' Whether one wants to emphasize beauty, or skill, or subtlety . . . everything must come together, for a film to be dressed 'well.' I have to think of Saint Laurent's costumes for Catherine Deneuve, in BELLE DE JOUR. For a dress she wore in a rape scene, YSL inserted strips of velcro, so that when the dress ripped off her body, the 'correct' shredding sounds, could be communicated to the audience. And I agree that the 'cad costuming' in 81/2 and La Dolce Vita . . . is oozing with the drop dead elegance that Europeans know how to create. The only man in American movies, who for me, reaches that apex of chic is Zachary Scott, in the movie Mildred Pierce. He was unbelievably sophisticated. Mr. Scott played a snide, aristocratic scounrel in the film. This helps. He held his cigarette close to his chest, which was just wickedly debonair. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    There are so many well dressed films. ŹIn my fashion's eye I love:

-Antonioni's Blow-up. ŹThe coolest of cool.

-Alain Delon in Le Cercle Rouge and Un Flic. ŹFilms with subtle hints at how a man should dress (the police firearms instructor who says always carry a lighter or key-carrier in your suit coat pocket so that the weight will help it swing out of the way when you go for your gun.)
    Chris,

Great choices. David Hemmings in Blow Up was for years my style icon. I suppose getting the chance to fool around with the young Jane Birkin was part of the appeal!

Fellini's films are great for style. If you are incredibly cynical and/or shallow it is possible to watch La Dolce Vita as a lifestyle advertisement

And don't forget Alain Delon in Plein Soleil of course. Riviera cool has never looked so good.

I think Thomas Crown Affair ...Pierce Brosnan wore some great suits and some nice casual clothes in it. Moreover, Antonio Banderas wears nice clothes in his films.

A very nice thread.

Why So Serious?

Boiler room
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

What about Cary Grant and Grace Kelly in To Catch A Thief? Simple elegance.

La Dolce Vita and A Single Man come to mind

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Excellent call, A Single Man directed by Tom Ford. Every one is impeccably dressed.

Last Year At Marienbad (1961)

P.S. Apparently was an influence on Lagerfeld's S/S 2011 Chanel Collection.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 6th October 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Divina Creatura (1975)
    American Psycho (2000)

All the lovely suits and coats and men's wear in The King's Speech made me want to dress in drag.

Bill & Teds...

...nuff' said.

May not be fashionable right now but can one really beat furry shorts?

Lana Turner and Van Heflin in Green Dolphin Street (1947)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Damn. Why didn't I think of that. One of my favorite movies, American Psycho. Not only are they impeccably dressed, but the American Psycho prefers Yves Saint Laurent's Pour Monsieur.

Cary Grant and Grace Kelly in To Catch A Thief. Understated elegance.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Chinatown, jack nicholson.

League of Gentlemen (1960)

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Alfie. Both original and re-make with the Dior man, Jude Law.

Sky fall. Tom ford suits nuff said. Tv show called white collar.