Code of Conduct

Default Thread show/don't-show choice

Recently there has been a flood of new Basenoters joining the community. Consequently, there has been a big increase in the number of repetitive topics - "What do I wear for THIS occasion?" and "What do I wear for THAT occasion?" or "What do chicks dig?" or "What's your top TOP 5 scents?", ETCETERA! There's also the occasional questionable topic like "Scent during the short moment of orgasm" or "Going to the toilet. What fragrance?" or the topic that turns into a flame-fest and finally gets locked by a moderator (although these can sometimes be quite interesting and fun to "watch&quot.

Due to the nature of my addiction/obsession, I am compelled to click on these topics, even though I know the responses are going to bore or offend me. That "new" icon beckons me! Luckily, after a few unsatisfying viewings of the thread, I can usually resist torturing myself further and ignore the topic.

I propose a new feature - a check-box or "button" next to each topic that would allow me to remove it from my view.

I believe this would greatly enhance my BN experience! It would feel so satisfying to be able to snuff a topic out of existence (at least in my world). I would never again have to suffer the anxiety of wanting (needing) to respond "You are and idiot!" or "Read the damn FAQ!" or "Basenotes did not just fall off the potato truck; it's been around a while. How about attempting to use the SEARCH function before asking an uninspired, elementary question like that?!" yet having to restrain myself due to the rules of the board or, for the sake of civility. Seriously, I'd much rather ignore a topic or response than respond in a rude manor or want to respond in a rude manner but can't. But this is sometimes hard to do, given human nature and all. If I could just remove the topic from my view....

I believe this would also serve to curb the undesirable (repetitive, boring, questionable, etc.) topics as newbies and troublemakers quickly discover that their posts are being ignored. Basically, this would give me the ability to censor myself. Of course, detractors will respond "Just don't open the topic; you have a choice you know!" - please see reference to "addiction/obsession" above.

How would this work? In the main "Male Fragrance discussion" section for example, each topic could have a check-box or icon/button (or it could be inside the topic itself, although this would force me to open it at least once) that would allow me to "mark" the topic to "collapse" or disappear from view altogether. Somewhere on the main Male Fragrance discussion page or within my profile pages, another button or check-box could allow me to globally show/hide all the topics I had banished. Of course this show/hide capability would be within the context of each user/account; as much as I might like the ability to just delete Pigeon Murderer or Indie_Guy's topics whenever I please, I sure wouldn't want them doing that to mine!

Somehow I doubt this will happen but I think it's a great idea

What say you?

Default Re: Thread show/don't-show choice

I say nay. It is a good idea and you have proper reason to want to do this IMO. I am right there with you thinking the same thing about some of the rediculous topics that are so rudementary and boring. What would you do if you wanted to read the topic later for some reason?? How would you get it back if it is "snuffed out". That would cause a lot of problems for people who accidentaly delete threads that they wanted to read.

It is a clever Idea but I'm sure the response you'll get from an admin is to just not look at the threads and skip over them. Censor them with your own will power... something like that. I am all about listening to what everyone has to say wether they be new or old. Granted, I still dislike some members postings and threads but that is my own personal feelings towards that topic or member. I know that there are so many crazy threads like "top 5...name 'em" but you have to have some bad to balance out the gems you find. There have been some really interesting threads lately too. I think that they have been inspired by the increase in noobie threads too so maybe we should keep the noobie threads comming.

I think that Grant is already working on a solution to the increased number of new members. He is on top of it but because we don't always get some kind of update we don't really know what is going on. Sit tight...

Bruce^

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce...
    What would you do if you wanted to read the topic later for some reason?? How would you get it back if it is "snuffed out". That would cause a lot of problems for people who accidentaly delete threads that they wanted to read.

Bruce^
    Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    How would this work? In the main "Male Fragrance discussion" section for example, each topic could have a check-box or icon/button (or it could be inside the topic itself, although this would force me to open it at least once) that would allow me to "mark" the topic to "collapse" or disappear from view altogether. Somewhere on the main Male Fragrance discussion page or within my profile pages, another button or check-box could allow me to globally show/hide all the topics I had banished. Of course this show/hide capability would be within the context of each user/account; as much as I might like the ability to just delete Pigeon Murderer or Indie_Guy's topics whenever I please, I sure wouldn't want them doing that to mine!
    The thread would not be deleted, only hidden. One could "unhide" them at any time.

Basenotes Plus

I just made a suggestion on the Supporters board which, if enacted, should eliminate much of the problem by providing a true "newbie tutorial" with a dedicated chat FAQ as opposed to the expected corporate type FAQ. Right now the FAQ list is not accessible and many, thinking it is the usual corporate policy type stuff, would not click on it the way it is set up. A step by step series of hot links should eliminate this problem as well as swap/sell newbie issues. All newbies should be given the tutorial address in their welcome letter.