Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default worst fragrance of all time???

has this thread already been created? if not, i'd love to hear back about this.

for me: stetson and brut are neck and neck (pun intended).

Default Re: worst fragrance of all time???

Le Male :P ;D
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

My least favorite out of those that I am farmilliar with would be Kouros...

Emporio Armani City Glam
    Polo Sport comes close
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Old Spice. An absolutely wretched composition with no redeeming qualities whatsoever, in my opinion.

kouros and old spice, definitely! keep em coming...

I know that this is about men's fragrances, but I think that Amarige by Givenchy is the worst fragrance of all time. It's horrid.

lately>? there are SO many haha...corduroy, everlast, nautica voyage, reaction, chill, soul, just to name a few...there are, im sure, millions more...

Jovan Musk for Men

the most noxious stuff I've ever smelled. I think the only reason that I didn't pour it out was I just *might* engage in chemical warfare if someone really upset me. Good to have some hole cards.

So far the worst smelling frag for me has to be Bel Ami by Hermes...uggghh, disgusting stuff !
    -

lately>? there are SO many haha...corduroy, everlast, nautica voyage, reaction, chill, soul, just to name a few...there are, im sure, millions more...
    Kenneth Cole's Reaction? Now I realize this isnt one of the best Men's frags out there, but what it does to the ladies should at least keep it out of the "worst fragrances of all time" category. 8-)
    I'm a fresh scent junkie and proud of it!

Okay.......the very worst of all time. Even as a youngster I liked cologne so when birthdays would roll around my grandmother would get me whatever the pharmacy had to offer. Mexicali Musk for Men could give me an instant headache and dry heaves on one sniff. For the record, the bottle was shaped like a tequila bottle with a plastic worm inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Words
    Kenneth Cole's Reaction? *Now I realize this isnt one of the best Men's frags out there, but what it does to the ladies should at least keep it out of the "worst fragrances of all time" category. * 8-)
    I agree. pleasant and pleasing. good choice if you wear cologne not for yourself, but mainly for others (nothing wrong with that, I mean, that is its official function). If Im gonna be wearing & smelling something all day though, I'd like something with a bit more development or dimension to it. I certainly dont think its up there with worst ever. I think maybe ilnaso was mistaken, and thought this was the "Best Kool-Aid Flavor Ever" thread.

I'm affraid that Vetiver Extrodinair is rather putrid (smells like death, decay). But I just might give the nod to Drakkar... These two are the only ones that have made me sick to my stomach.

I gotta say, I'm really curious about Kouros and Salvador Dali... these seem to be some of the most hated.
    24, San Francisco, California USA

Quote Originally Posted by nicolastutor
    I'm affraid that Vetiver Extrodinair is rather putrid (smells like death, decay).
    BITE YOUR TONGUE... >

Just kidding. It happens to be one of my favorites. To each his own.

My vote for worst fragrance is Lacoste Style in Play*. Its probably not the worst, but IMO, its definitely in the top 10.

* It also has the honor of having one of the most moronic names ever!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Brut!

Worst ever: the one and only Joop I ever tried about 12 months ago: Joop Jump!
    Overly sweet, seemingly an oriental, cloying. It creates a sickening aura and is rather loud - a fly trap! I dumped the sample immediately, not to repeat the smell experience accidentally another time. This is the only scent which gave me the idea that here might be a surplus of a bad female cologne re-packaged for men to buy. I never want to try another Joop. There are positive reviews, though!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

The original Polo Green gets my vote. I'd rather wear Kouros than that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by teflondog
    The original Polo Green gets my vote. I'd rather wear Kouros than that stuff.

Enjoying both (originals!) myself - one after the other though ;D
    I would have added Brut to this wonderful pair, but the original is long gone!
    Last edited by narcus; 31st August 2007 at 10:09 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Kingdom.....UGH

If 'worst' means 'what the hell this suffocating mix is ', the very first which comes to mind is Iceberg Liquid.

I know there are guys who like it, but in my opinion, MPG Route du Vétiver is terrible. It smells like rotting vegetation.

RTbar

The worst fragrance I've ever smelled is oud Cuir d Arabie by Montale... ghastly

CK One
    A pathetic excuse of a fragrance

And Joop Jump is sickening

Thrax

Halston z-14

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=teflondog link=1149899546/15#17 date=1149916775]The original Polo Green gets my vote. I'd rather wear Kouros than that stuff.

Enjoying both (originals!) myself - one after the other ;D *I would have added Brut here, but the original is gone!
    [/quote]

I agree on all three--they are (and Brut was) great!

The worst I ever tried to wear was Hai Karate from the sixties. Putrid.

STYLE IN PLAY!!
    Worst trash ever...Period.

I also thought of Polo Sport because the topnotes are to puke off, but the basenotes are actually quite pleasant..Same goes for Kouros.

Can't say I love Eternity and Energise, either..

Armani City Glam, David Beckham's fragrance and Kenneth Cole New York all comes close to being some of the worst I know. :P

eau sauvage extreme v o m i ti v e :P :P :P :P :P
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007
    Kingdom.....UGH
    definitely up there...
    Let your nose be your pilot

I don't agree about Kingdom but then as you can tell it's in my top 5. However, I want to participate in this worst ever thread with Muscs Koublaï Khän by Serge Lutens. Upon spraying, I am taken back to many road trips where you have to stop at a nasty gas station. Yep, this smells like a filthy men's room complete with urinal cake and urin splashed on the floor and piles of dirty paper towels...overflowing the trash can. It's sweet like a cherry urinal cake and animal with urin (civet), oh, and sweat socks (dirty musk). This scent made me feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    The worst fragrance I've ever smelled is oud Cuir d Arabie by Montale... ghastly
    Yeah... this one gets my vote as well. It's the WORST!! Sorry, Montale :-[
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Le Male, It actually induces claustrophobia.
    m

Quote Originally Posted by yepyep
    I know that this is about men's fragrances, but I think that Amarige by Givenchy is the worst fragrance of all time. *It's horrid.
    YEP! I second Amarige too when it comes to ladies' fragrances! Annoying and piercing like a spike into the nose and sinuses and the brain!

But worse then even that one has got to be Hugo Boss No. 1!!!! (OMG this one instantly induces dry-heaves and vomiting)… On my wedding day my father decided to try a ‘new cologne’, well would you not believe it was this wretchedness!!! And, ohh he layers this on, THICK!!!! I thought I would die in the limo, for a whole hour that took us to get to the ceremony and then the limo driver got lost and only prolonged my misery!!!!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I must say Le Mâle is a no-no to me too : I find it both unbearable as a smell and as a choice, and am always led to grant very little esteem to those who wear it. Sorry in advance to the pro-s ! :-[

Davidoff Classic (1984)

OK... here's my Top 5.

-Kenneth Cole Black and Signature. I can't understand the mass appeal of the former, and the latter is the worst AdG ripoff. EVER.
    -Chaps by Ralph Lauren. The ultimate in drugstore swill... cow pies and old leather.
    -Any of the post-Procter & Gamble Hugo Boss or Lacoste fragrances. Now they all smell like another P&G product... Tide laundry detergent.
    -Hanae Mori HM in EdT. While the eau de parfum is divine, the eau de toilette's sick cloying white floral notes send this one to the list.
    -Acqua di Gio. Although a good, well-crafted scent, this deserves to be on the list because of excessive general population overuse, ranging from teenagers that outgrew Axe and Tag to lawyers who know better. AdG is to the United States what Le Male is to the European Union... I guess that's why i like Le Male and not AdG.

(Note: I would have put Kouros in the #1 spot as recently as a few days ago. But, now that the Great White Knight is a new fave of mine, it should be in the Top 5 Best Scents of All Time list.)
    Last edited by MFfan310; 1st September 2007 at 12:39 AM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    AdG is to the United States what Le Male is to the European Union
    Wow! It's that simple!!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Very little people wear cologne in my country so I don't have to worry about wearing mass market fragrances(at least in other countries) like Le Male, L'eau D'issey, Cool Water... provided I want to!

However, I do like Le Male... Trick is not to overapply.

Can't really say which is the worst fragrance of all time for me because there are too many screw ups in the fragrance world for me to list all of them :P

Quote Originally Posted by radix023
    Jovan Musk for Men

the most noxious stuff I've ever smelled. I think the only reason that I didn't pour it out was I just *might* engage in chemical warfare if someone really upset me. Good to have some hole cards.
    ;D I like that. I deliberately tried to annoy an obnoxious co-worker with too much cologne a few times, and that was great fun.

I also had Jovan musk, and I couldn't even remember where it came from. It must have been a gift. Anyway, I actually did dump it down the bathroom sink. The scent lasted a day or two. I have to say, for that purpose, it wasn't too bad!

I'm glad to see both really cheap and really expensive stuff in this thread!

Also add Hugo Boss #1
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

Top 5
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

Le Male

Oscar Pour Lui- vampire's breath!

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Agua Brava and Bandit!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Iceberg Fluid Man :P

I felt physically ill after smelling it.

any of the polo scents, dunhill scents, or any hugo boss scents. they are just horrid and cologney smelling. i cant detect any specific just in any of these scents......they just smell like bad mens cologne.
    Awesomeguy

There's so much choice, it's tough to pick the one.

One frightening thought when one considers*grandpa's manly favorite, OLD SPICE,*a powdery wreck of a concoction that came out in 1937 as a woman's frag and re-issued for jocks the following year, *is the possibility that in 40 years the men in rest homes *will be dousing themselves with our own tragically hip contribution to bad taste, *Le Male. *:P
    *Now THAT's scary. *Wonder if the octagenarians will be listening to rap, *too?

A*men is also frightening in any quantity except microscopic ones. *Imagine being stuck in an elevator with--naw, I don't want to give anybody nightmares.

Coty's redneck offerings are something else. *Say, *did anyone wear Stetson to a premiere of Brokeback Mountain?

Macho caricatures like Quorum rate high--or rather low.
    Unisex hip overpriced *exotic niche crap--well, I'm too much of a gentleman to name names, *besides I like the folks at Luckyscents.

I think the winner has to be somewhere in the unintentionally bizarre category.

My vote goes to Givenchy's Insense Ultramarine.

Cheers,

Mario 8-)
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

RTbar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani

One frightening thought when one considers grandpa's manly favorite, OLD SPICE, a powdery wreck of a concoction that came out in 1937 as a woman's frag and re-issued for jocks the following year, is the possibility that in 40 years the men in rest homes will be dousing themselves with our own tragically hip contribution to bad taste, Le Male. :P
    Now THAT's scary. Wonder if the octagenarians will be listening to rap, too?

A*men is also frightening in any quantity except microscopic ones. Imagine being stucik in an elevator with--naw, I don't want to give anybody nightmares.

Coty's redneck offerings are something else. Say, did anyone wear Stetson to a premiere of Brokeback Mountain?

Macho caricatures like Quorum rate high--or rather low.
    Unisex hip overpriced exotic niche crap--well, I'm too much of a gentleman to name names, besides I like the folks at Luckyscents.

I think the winner has to be somewhere in the unintentionally bizarre category.

My vote goes to Givenchy's Insense Ultramarine.

Cheers,

Mario 8-)
    ohh thats a good pick too

A*men is also frightening in any quantity except microscopic ones. *Imagine being stucik in an elevator with--naw, I don't want to give anybody nightmares.

Mario 8-)
    Totally agree on this one .. it can smoke out Al Qaeda members from their Kandahar hideouts :P
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    Iceberg Fluid Man :P

I was hoping someone else would mention Iceberg Fluid.

Years ago, I purchased a bottle of Iceberg Fluid blindly online because I'd read nice things about it. Over half of my collection has been purchased blindly (it was a fun gamble), and only two of those blind purchases (Iceberg Fluid and Paco Rabanne's Ultraviolet Man) were immediately regretted choices.

I eventually grew to really enjoy Ultraviolet Man. The same has yet to happen with Iceberg Fluid.

How bad does it smell? Allow me to explain.

Let's say that there was a mafia hit squad who really wanted to torture some guy, so they force-fed him oranges, limes and lemons (whole or cut-up, I don't care) until his stomach ruptured. They, they tied him to a good-sized weight and dumped him into a river.

Next... Let's say the rope happened to come loose over the course of a one-point-five-to-two weeks, and the body floated to the surface, citrus fruit and all. It just happened to be found by a member of the same mob, who, realizing the rather entertaining irony of his find, called the squad in again, and they all worked on stuffing the guy's decaying remains into a big currogated cardboard box, then took the whole mess out into some desert and buried it.

Okay... Six months go by, and the sand has shifted around a bit. A wandering nomad (?!) happens to stumble upon a strangely "weak" or "crunchy" area in the desert, and starts digging to satiate his curiosity regarding what is underneath him.

When he finally reaches the remains... the smell that hits him is probably fairly similar to the way that Iceberg Fluid smells to me.

Positively vile. Still, someday, I might just spray some on to see how my fiancee (who has still never smelled it) reacts to it.

A close runner-up is Dzing!. Luckily, I tried a sample and never bought it. I won't even go into my description of that.

A dishonourable mention goes out to OP Juice (Old Pee Juice). Ick.

Badger 8-)

I've purchased a few blindly that I've gotten rid of first chance I had. Polo Sport, and Azzaro Pure Vetiver were taken back to TJ Maxx the day after purchasing them. Lacoste Style in Play I unfortunatly had to hold on to for a couple of months before finding a purchaser. The one that actually made me sick and gets my vote for worst fragrance is Romance Silver.

Now I just need to dump the remainder of my swap list and I'll be happy.

Shiseido's Basala.
    Ugh. The horror, the horror.
    The stuff actually made me sick... Only recommended use is for chemical warfare, and with caution advised to the manipulator, at that.

I don't think there's ever a bad scent, just "different " or "doesn't work with my skin" but SL Miel de Bois was the only one I had to wash off my skin ASAP.

A*men is also frightening in any quantity except microscopic ones. Imagine being stucik in an elevator with--naw, I don't want to give anybody nightmares.

Someone wrote that scents are about memories. I kind of liked Dior Homme, tried it at least, and in a very clear moment I my memory warned: after a time it is rather like A*men. Sorry, from that moment I can't stand it.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Badger Kelley
    [quote author=Octothorpe link=1149899546/30#44 date=1149972930]Iceberg Fluid Man :P

I was hoping someone else would mention Iceberg Fluid.

[/quote]

It was me the first one to mention it, so we are now three

original santal
    xeryius rouge
    eau sauvage extreme
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

yessss, original santal, indeed. last night, i tried it for the first time, and it made me feel ill. i waited for the drydown to see if it would get any better, but the putrid odor was relentless. thankfully i only bought samples of this stuff.

i'd also like to agree with the a*men. one whiff of that, and my stomach turns. (though, strangely enough, i /do/ enjoy the shower gel version.)

I see some of you are trying to dethrone The King

For me Kouros is the best fragrance of all time - but then that is another thread altogether.

Worst fragrance of all time? Could not say.

But surely GIT is got to be up there and certainly the most overrated fragrance of all time.

yessss, original santal, indeed. last night, i tried it for the first time, and it made me feel ill. i waited for the drydown to see if it would get any better, but the putrid odor was relentless. thankfully i only bought samples of this stuff.

i couldn't wash it off its so heavy. what was he thinking? (my opinion of course, others like it)
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Said that I'm not at all a fan of any Boss scent, I think the worst I've ever smelled is Energize. Chemical weapons, fruity hair spray and battery acid (here's why the bottle shape) on rotten woods. It even sickens your throat while sniffing it! :P