Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Bitter, Bitterer, Bitterest

Went on a sniffing expedition today at Nordstrom and Neiman's.

At Neiman's I came across three "bitter" juices: Serge Lutens Douce Amère (French for "bittersweet&quot, L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe ("absinthe crazy&quot, and The Different Company Sel de Vétiver ("vetiver salt&quot. I arrange them here from sweetest of the bitters to bitterest of them.

Lutens, rich and creamy as always, an enveloping Eau de Parfum, with slight hints of anise and unknown smoky aromas, was elegant as always, and luxurious to boot.

L'Artisan was more upbeat, but more frankly bitter with absinthe and angelica, sweet and pungent spices; definitely drier than the Lutens, however.

And the bitterest, the quirkiest, was the Different Company Sel de Vétiver. A persistent pungent note under the vetiver (cardamom, patchouli, iris resinoid or lovage, or the combination?) make it mysterious, bitter, and seriously dry, even dark. Could even be somber.

The upshot is that I opted for the Fou d'Absinthe. I wasn't in the mood for the relative sweetness and lushness of the Lutens; I opted instead for the drier, more upbeat L'Artisan. What I really wanted was the Sel de Vétiver, but it's still only available in 100 ml, and the price point was more than I could justify right now. I hope it'll be out in 50 ml. soon, or my discretionary income will rise. We'll see which happens first.

Anyway, if you guys haven't smelled these three yet, run on out and sniff 'em! All three are pretty special, IMO.

Cheers!

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Bitter, Bitterer, Bitterest

Thanks for the short reviews. I'll be sure to check all of them out. And Sel de Vétiver, sounds intriguing--is it anything like Annick Goutal's Vetiver?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Foetidus,

I haven't smelled Annick Goutal's version of vetiver. The Nordstrom here carries her line, but for some reason not that one. I guess I have no basis for comparison. Would you describe hers as bitter?

I'd like to sniff it sometime... BTW, I love her Breton given name; it reminds me in a special way of La Douce France.

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    Foetidus,

I haven't smelled Annick Goutal's version of vetiver. The Nordstrom here carries her line, but for some reason not that one. I guess I have no basis for comparison. Would you describe hers as bitter?

I'd like to sniff it sometime... BTW, I love her Breton given name; it reminds me in a special way of La Douce France.

JaimeB,

"Annick" is a great name! I love it.

AG Vetiver has, to me, a strong iodine odor in the opening and this gradually reduces to a salty vibration added to the somewhat raw vetiver. *It's absolutely great, but it's quite transient, which shouldn't suprise anyone--her fragrances are not known for longevity. *I don't usually spend money on short lived fragrances, but AG Vetiver I had to have. I ordered my sample from Perfumebay, but it appears they are out of them now. I'd like to send a sample but I'm not equiped to do anything like that here in Taiwan.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    ...[snip]...
    JaimeB,

"Annick" is a great name! I love it.

AG Vetiver has, to me, a strong iodine odor in the opening and this gradually reduces to a salty vibration added to the somewhat raw vetiver. *It's absolutely great, but it's quite transient, which shouldn't suprise anyone--her fragrances are not known for longevity. *I don't usually spend money on short lived fragrances, but AG Vetiver I had to have. *I ordered my sample from Perfumebay, but it appears they are out of them now. *I'd like to send a sample but I'm not equiped to do anything like that here in Taiwan.

Have you smelled Montale Vétiver des Sables?

It, too, has a very salty note, but not very raw, rather softer than some other vetiver scents. Maisonstinky has samples, though I don't know if he's in a way to send them as far as Taiwan. Anyway, if you like unusual vetivers and you can find it, give it a sniff...

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB

It, too, has a very salty note, but not very raw, rather softer than some other vetiver scents. Maisonstinky has samples, though I don't know if he's in a way to send them as far as Taiwan. Anyway, if you like unusual vetivers and you can find it, give it a sniff...

Actually Jaimeb, I have been mailing these samples all over the world *. *Foetidus already has a sample of this waiting for him when he gets home. Is it in July when you are getting back Foetidus ?

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    [quote author=JaimeB link=1150499953/0#4 date=1150590287]

Actually Jaimeb, I have been mailing these samples all over the world *. *Foetidus already has a sample of this waiting for him when he gets home. Is it in July when you are getting back Foetidus ?

Vijay"Maisonstinky"[/quote]

Yup! in three weeks. Thanks for the samples--I can hardly wait.