Code of Conduct

Default Frag houses and scent longevity?

Hi
    Which frag houses are known for long lasting scents and which ones are not.
    Ive heard that Ralph Loren frags dont last,while others like Versace do.

Any opinions?

Default Re: Frag houses and scent longevity?

Not that it's a fair way to categorize design houses, but I would add any Armani scent to the list of ones that just don't last. I'm going to have to agree with the Ralph LAUREN judgement though.

I know if i buy a YSL its gonna last!!!!

Also pretty much most frags from the 80's .

For me polo green lasts a week, so does original armani.

although it is very much down to application, skin type and even diet, however most modern day frags dont last a few hours on my skin.There are some diamonds in the rough though, ie michael kors, burberry brit, ted baker endurance.

This is the joy of modern day perfume, the enjoyment is for me is very much in the search.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by Markinlondon
    I know if i buy a YSL its gonna last!!!!

Also pretty much most frags from the 80's .

For me polo green lasts a week, so does original armani.

although it is very much down to application, skin type and even diet, however most modern day frags dont last a few hours on my skin.There are some diamonds in the rough though, ie michael kors, burberry brit, ted baker endurance.

This is the joy of modern day perfume, the enjoyment is for me is very much in the search.
    I will agree with you.
    80s fragrances will last ........... till you wash sometimes lol

But what is it - with the new stuff that are filling all these shelves ??? most of the time it does not last TRUE.

I must say most of the Oriental scent do last longer .

Good luck in your research

laurent
    Invisible Power

I'd have to say collectively, Serge Lutens has the most frags that are long lasting ... in my experience.

The shortest? Take out Santal Noble and MPG is my pick there.

Quote Originally Posted by laurent
    I will agree with you.
    80s fragrances will last ........... till you wash sometimes lol

But what is it - with the new stuff that are filling all these shelves ??? most of the time it does not last TRUE.

I must say most of the Oriental scent do last longer .

Good luck in your research

laurent

I am not sure laurent, is there a fashion of not smelling too strong? i am pretty sure most customers want a frag at least you can detect at a close sniff of the skin ? or are we all wrong?

on my london walkabouts i do spray a few, yesterday RL romance and cool water fizz. Both hardly detectable an hour later. After 3 hours gone.

I know some people on the forum have mentioned that sillage , longevity is not that important in the overall scheme of things.

However i wear a fragrance to smell good to other people first, then myself. Confidence, gravitas and stature.

If i spray on a frag and 3-5 hours later it is undetectible, i will not purchase it. I still ask my wife, colleagues, if they can smell it, if no then no buy!

I really believe most high street modern day fragrances, mens and womens, you are PURELY buying an IMAGE put out by the advertising of that company, not the smell of the juice.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Long:
    Creed
    Serge Lutens
    YSL
    Gucci

I don't know really a house or designer that has mostly short lived fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321
    I'd have to say collectively, Serge Lutens has the most frags that are long lasting ... in my experience.

Eau Des Iles last incredibly long on me. Go figure

Sam

For me, this is in general- there are a few exceptions to each house, but the shortest lasting for me are:

Creed
    L'artisan
    Comme des Garcons

Except for the Aqua Allegoria series, Guerlains fragrances all have pretty great longevity.

Givenchy Gentleman lasts very well
    Givenchy, Monsieur lasts very well for a citrus
    Eau de Rochas, homme lasts perfectly well for a citrus

On Guerlain, Chanel, and Hermes: the only thing that lasts is my disappointment about most of them being short lived! Guerlain, in particular seems to expect their fans to buy their perfumes, if available! Chanel's Cuir de Russie, as an EDP, is acceptable.
    Dior: no complaints with Eau Sauvage xtr, and the original ES is better than Chanels pour Monsieur concerning longevity (and it is correct, Armani Huomo is the better lasting alternative! Armani him: no complaints from my side either!

I do have a problem with Rive Gauche (regular versipon), but generally I can only confirm YSLs lasting quite well.

On Malle, Lutens, and Villoresi: even though they may not say 'EDP' - that's what you buy - and get! (OK - Bigarrade is notorious, and we all know why).
    I know two at least from ea. house, that last into the next day! And so does Polo, Knize, and almost also Quorum. More I cannot possibly wish.

L'Artisan - the experiences seem split. I am lucky with VdR, magnificent mileage! Passage d'E, just acceptable! I only know two Carons: very good! Dorsay, Tilleul: excellent!
    Boucheron: good!

I would need pages to enumerate the frags with poor lasting power (most of the Creeds on me) and the absolutly biggest disappointment lately: Clinique Happy for men!
    Last edited by narcus; 8th August 2006 at 01:53 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    ...but the shortest lasting for me are: Creed L'artisan Comme des Garcons
    - how about Avignon, do you have experience? smell-wise it's heaven for me, but if it won't last....
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    Long:
    Creed
    Serge Lutens
    YSL
    Gucci

I don't know really a house or designer that has mostly short lived fragrances.
    Are you kidding? Creed is long lived? Ive never gotten any more than 4 maybe 4 1/w hours out of mine.

Frederic Malle fragrances such as:

Carnal Flower
    Noir Epices
    Une Rose
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Musc Ravageur

All of the above has good longevity on me.*

Serge Lutens
    Guerlain
    Voluspa

"A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    - how about Avignon, do you have experience? smell-wise it's heaven for me, but if it won't last....
    Wish I could help you with Avignon, but have not tried it yet. Zagorsk on the other hand is very long lasting, while I have tried Ouarzazate and it was less than average lasting.

Some good suggestions on fragrances that last in previous posts. It's one of my pet peeves, purchasing a fragrance for $50 plus and not being able to smell it on my skin in an hour or two. Why bother?

Some other suggestions:

The original "calvin" if you can find it.
    Krizia Uomo
    GPG Le Male
    Drakkar Noir
    also Obsession lasts all day

Kind of relative this topic... but generally speaking and from my skin point of view:

Great longevity:

Aramis
    Fragonard
    Azzaro

Poor longevity:

Etro
    L'Artisan
    Santa Maria Novella
    Last edited by Sandalwood; 8th August 2006 at 10:23 PM.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Of the ones I have, L'Artisan and YSL are the longest lasting. My Timbuktu that I put on this AM is till 'smellable' after 12 hours

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Diptyque fragrances have very good longevity

Agree with YSL.
    Also with Guerlain (Vetiver for example)
    Also, Paul Smith (London and Extreme) are laster on me.

Caron
    Comme des Garçons
    Etro
    Gobin Daudé
    Lorenzo Villoresi
    Guerlain
    Serge Lutens

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood

Poor longevity:

Etro
    You've got to be kidding! For example Messe de Minuit (which is an EdC) lasts well into the next day, so do many other Etros.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321

Eau des Iles? Ambre Precieux? Jardin du Nil?

Shurely shome mishtake ;D

How are the Malle fragrances in general in terms of longevity? I've only tried the superb Musk Ravageur and that must be about the best scent i have longevity wise. Are many of the others the same?

Quote Originally Posted by sdmilne
    How are the Malle fragrances in general in terms of longevity? I've only tried the superb Musk Ravageur and that must be about the best scent i have longevity wise. Are many of the others the same?
    Cologne Bigarade was, in my experience, very short-lived and almost all top-note (citrussy); lasts about an hour or so. I've read that the Bigarade Concentrée is similar but perhaps more substantial and longer-lasting.

Noir Epices seemed to have fairly good staying power in my recollection; lingering with an incense-like quality.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

unfortunately i find that the scents i like the most have the least longevity

anything from the 80s will have lasting power, but honestly some of those are ones you *wish* would fade a little. ive applied halston z-14 (not quite 80s but close enough), drakkar, quorum, obsession, etc. and some of these just dont die, ive had to actually scrub them off on some occassions. if youve ever accidentally overapplied something like the above and been out somewhere with no way to wash it off you know what hell smells like.

havana lasts pretty long, and has great sillage. unfortunately its discontinued. tuscany, on the other hand, doesnt.
    ive had good luck with orientals like opium, envy, by, etc.

there are a few things you can do to make them last a while longer. i find that if i apply them on slightly damp skin, such as after a shower, they last longer.

same goes if you apply them on oilier skin. it is a known fact that fragrances last longer on oily skin than on dry skin. if you have a fragrance that doesnt last very long and you normally apply it to your chest/neck, try spraying towards the back of your neck instead where the skin is naturally oilier. it will last longer.

In my experience, frags from Aramis and Guerlain are immortal.