Code of Conduct

Default Sleeping or NOT....Fragrances before bed time

Being fairly new to BN, and fragrances, I've built up a decent size collection, and enjoy wearing them through out the day, and evening. *

I'm typically a good sleeper, out once I hit the pillow, and waking up very infrequently throughout the night. I usually wake up feeling refreshed. *I've noticed that lately my sleep hasn't been as consistent as it had been. *I find myself waking up more often in middle of night, alot more dreams, and not always as refreshed as I had been. *Given that nothing in my life had changed significantly, same levels of stress, same level of exercise, consistent diet, I could only attibute the changes to my sleep patterns to my application of fragrances before bedtime.

I've done some experimenting, totally unscientific of course, but seem to have found that some scents seem to relax me more, and allow me to sleep equal to or better than if I wore none. *Others though, seem to be disruptive, and impact my sleep consistency and number of dreams I have. *

I've read a significant amount on the power of the olfactory sense, and it's direct link to emotions and memory. *I wonder if anyone else here has experienced similar results from wearing fragrances at bedtime. *Also which ones do you find most conducive to a good nights rest, and which ones are most distressful?

So far, I've figured out that Gendarme is as good as a sleeping pill and Lanvin Aperge, and Boss Bottled are dreamweavers. *I didn't smell either one before purchase, and haven't had any significant experiences since wearing them, but each time I've worn them before bed, I've had a night of very abstact dreams. *

If you have similar experiences I'd like to hear about them, so I know I'm not going insane....

Default Re: Sleeping or NOT....Fragrances before bed time

don't worry man you're not alone. I think the only thing you didn't get as many replies is that we have discussed this topic not so long ago, and being that you are fairly new I will use this opportunity to welcome you!

my two favorite fragrances to fall asleep to are

A*men (going to sleep was the only occasion I wore it, it smells dreamy, cotton candy, roasted almonds and musks, imagine xmas fair and there you are in the la la land)

another favorite of mine is

Tam Dao Diptyque (dark incense & sandalwood, a truly spiritual scent that makes you feel guarded and protected by the scent of ancient incense used through history to chase bad spirits away and as it slowly fades it turns into creamy sandalwood, peace)

Thanks, I'll do a search, and read through the older thread.

I tried perfuming my night gowns or spraying just a bit on my skin before bed - every time my sleep quality was lower than normal, I would wake up often in the middle of the night, have strange dreams and simply feel tired in the morning. Plenty of fresh, cold air in the bedroom is what works best - definitely no fragrance before bed for me.

strangely enough only the female frags have the power to make me go to sleep nicely, maybe its has to do with mom tucking me in bed when i was a kid?
    anyways i also get that from yardley's english lavander, wich i believe it's more of an unisex thing...

Timbuktu on the outer areas of my arms so it's near my nose when I recline 8-). It's just the most comforting frag I've found so far .

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Sometime's I'll give my body pillow a light spritz of Acier Aluminum... it really helps to calm me down and I usually have a great night's sleep that night. Too bad it's too expensive for more frequent applications...

I've found that levender helps me sleep. Citrus or Rosemary wakes me up. Musk makes for interesting dreams.....

^I find that any fragrance I like helps me sleep
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

I haven't found any effect upon sleeping based on my wearing frags. The heat on the other hand... ugh!
    Last edited by MisterK; 23rd June 2006 at 03:13 PM.
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

I love wearing a spritz of Guerlain Vetiver to bed. Very soothing to me.
    Peace ~ Markymark

I like to wear something smokey, especially in the winter.

I did experience a good night with Odeur 53, which is nowhere near smokey.
    I always thought Odeur 53 smelled like the night air during late winter or early fall here in Rock Hill, SC.
    But now that the Celanese cellulose/acetate plant closed down some time ago, the air here is more like Calamus, and less like Odeur 53

S

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine is perfect for wearing to bed!

royal scottish lavender

Acca Kappa White Moss
    Acqua di Parma
    L' Occitane Green Tea With Mint
    Eau Sauvage
    Armani Eau Pour Homme

Last night I sprayed Bleecker Street before bed time.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I used to spritz a bit of Gendarme on a freshly made bedsheets when guests were here as it effects that French laundry smell. I've associated it with sleep so I will sometimes use that before bed.

I don't usually wear a fragrance to bed but here lately I have been finding myself wear light citrus or aquatic scents to cool off the heat of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Trasker
    I used to spritz a bit of Gendarme on a freshly made bedsheets when guests were here as it effects that French laundry smell. I've associated it with sleep so I will sometimes use that before bed.
    That's a pretty clever idea!

I'm currently doing an experiment with M7 before bed. I had heard that agarwood, a big component of that, has relaxing qualities. Nothing conclusive yet, but I really enjoy that smell before nodding off, and I'm going to continue for awhile!

I used to reek of lavender and so did my house. Very relaxing and meditative. The best lavender shower gel is actually suave found at wally world. It is very cheap and smells great. What other lavenders are good?

I've been using M7 quite a bit recently as I've always been a trouble sleeper. Great results...always seems to knock my @ss right out!

Quote Originally Posted by PRBRT33
    I've been using M7 quite a bit recently as I've always been a trouble sleeper. Great results...always seems to knock my @ss right out!
    I never would have thought of M7 as a bedtime scent but just hearing the idea has me a bit intrigued and I can see the possibilities. It seems heavy for a hot summer night but I may try a tiny little bit of it soon. Still, there is nothing like a light Gendarme to take any mustiness out of a hot summer evening trying to fall asleep in the heat.

The Fragrant Mind by Valerie Ann Wormwood. Inexpensive and a must own.

I wear all kinds of stuff to bed. Just depends on how I'm feeling. I always have something on. Whatever feels right.

The more fragrances to choose from the better.
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd June 2006 at 11:03 PM.
    It's not getting what you want -- it's wanting what you've got.

Hmmm...maybe Body Kouros for sleeping or not

Any vetiver scent works well for slumber. Aromatherapy and all that. Go with Guerlain.

M7 is very warm and cuddly...it has certain notes that are actually sedatives, according to someone's review here. Good for cold nights.

I apply any of my fragrances to sleep.Throughout the night, Im conscious as not to rub my wrist on my pillow or blanket.This helps me determine longevity.I guess this can interfere with a good nights sleep.