Code of Conduct

Default Angel Men Summer Flash- I tried it

A couple of days ago I was walking by a fragrance counter in a department store. When in this type of store I always have to proceed with caution as it's the kind of fragrance counter I've "graduated" from years ago. You know, the kind that never has anything good that a Basenoter would like--mostly Claibornes, Lacostes etc. So I have to do a quick strafing run past the counters looking quickly for anything of unusual interest, lest I linger too long and be accosted by Scylla/Charibdes-like salespeople... ( you know, the two ladies who are trying to sell competing scents and they both backstab each other with backhanded compliments-- The one, with ten thrashing arms (each arm holding a different spin off of Curve) and the other, a whirlpool of tiresome watery/ozonic scents (heh-heh, an inside joke)while you stand between them wishing you were somewhere else.

Well, I got nabbed. I looked too long and got pulled in by the SAs' tractor beams. I had to be polite and make nice while pretending to seriously evaluate Cool Water Summer Fizz and ...Chrome....again.

But as I was leaving, there it was! The Summer version of Angel Men. I asked about it and the SA's didn't even know what it was! There wasn't a tester, just four bottles in the glass case. They reluctantly opened one up and let me sniff it... uh, at first I was confused because it smelled like B*Men and there was kind of a musty, not so fresh note about it. Honestly a bit sweaty and funky on paper. But I sprayed some on the arm, and left. When I was walking out to my car, it smelled great. Very light, very much a washed out version of Angel, but wearable anywhere. Oh, and I almost forgot--the bottle is without a doubt, the BEST bottle I've ever seen. EVER. If i buy this, a large part of the reason is because of the cool bottle.

After ten minutes it smelled really nice. I got alot of patchouli and vetiver in it. Kind of the way Timbuktu smells after a long time--earthy and a bit like tarnished metal. The chocolate is there, but tuned down a bit. Very much a fairgrounds kind of smell--some cotton candy and stuff, but then also a very noticeable "seaweed" note to balance it. I thought the longevity was excellent for a summer scent.

I woke up today and almost bolted out the door to get it... but something funny happened. I was thirsty so I drank a chocolate protein shake... Now, my sweet tooth has been satisfied and I've lost the desire to run to the store for Angel Men Summer Flash! I was all ready to go, then I got my chocolate fix, and ...boom... maybe tomorrow...

Default Re: Angel Men Summer Flash- I tried it

I checked Von Maur yesterday... they didn't have it, but they were expecting it in soon. Maybe I'll try L.S. Ayres tomorrow and see.

But still, I can't wait to try it.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Is there supposed to be a summer version of B*Men, perchance?

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Well, I got nabbed. *I looked too long and got pulled in by the SAs' tractor beams. *I had to be polite and make nice while pretending to seriously evaluate Cool Water Summer Fizz and ...Chrome....again.
    Ef that man. I actually pointed my finger right at an SA the other day as she was spritzing Zenga Z in my trajectory "actually, I know that's one I don't like" I curtly said. She did seem affronted though, so I inquired about a Frag I knew they didn't carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1149805535/0#0 date=1149805535]
    Well, I got nabbed. *I looked too long and got pulled in by the SAs' tractor beams. *I had to be polite and make nice while pretending to seriously evaluate Cool Water Summer Fizz and ...Chrome....again.
    Ef that man. I actually pointed my finger right at an SA the other day as she was spritzing Zenga Z in my trajectory "actually, I know that's one I don't like" I curtly said. She did seem affronted though, so I inquired about a Frag I knew they didn't carry.[/quote]

LOL. I know what you mean. The SA asked me if I wanted to try the new Nautica Voyage and I did spout out "Oh, hell no. I HATE that stuff!" I felt bad, but I really can't stand the sh*t. Both that and Z Zegna are the most annoying fragrances I've ever smelled. They both really make me sick. I try really hard not to insult the SA's in any way when I put down certain scents. I usually try to let them know up front that I'm not a casual scent buyer--I tell them that I have a huge collection and that something REALLy has to stand out for me to consider it.

In response to the question about a summer version of B*Men... Nope. Actually I don't think Mugler really pushes B*Men anymore. I think it is considered a flop and I wouldn't "B" surprised to see it discontinued. When I went to the Thierry Mugler event at Nordstroms, they kind of hinted at how B*Men was kind of out there in limbo to fend for itself, and the real focus was on both Men's and Women's Angel and Mugler Cologne. Honestly, Angel Men Summer Flash is reminds me a little of the better parts of B*Men. It would be redundant to make a B*Men summer scent, probably.

But yeah, I'm with you Joel_Cairo--Z Zegna is sh*t!

Honestly, Angel Men Summer Flash is reminds me a little of the better parts of B*Men. It would be redundant to make a B*Men summer scent, probably.
    Hm, okay. I guess what I want to know now is if B*men is supposed to be a "light" version of A*Men. If that was its intent, shouldn't it be on par with Summer Flash? The notes do look completely different, but something in B*Men reminds me of Burberry Brit. Something yummy and delicious. Hm, anyways, so far I don't really like A*Men that much, B*Men I like, and I'll have to check out Summer Flash.

I checked this out yesterday myself and was shocked. Not bad, not bad at all.
    Gary

If someone had asked me to smell this in a "blind" test, I never would have related it to A*Men or B*Men. I am still trying to figure out if I like it and what other frags it smells like. It's not bad though, almost like a fraiche version of a seventies aromatic.

I own a bottle of this and have been wearing it alot. I'm actually wearing it today. I didn't think it was similar to B*Men at first but now that you mention it I do see some similarities. Kind of a light version of A*Men and B*Men mixed.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Angel Men Summer Flash- [smiley=lolk.gif]
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Do I have to try this for a 3rd time? I mostly get B*men out of this and I especially smell the vetiver. I get no chocolate whatsoever. I will have to make it a point to not pass go, not collect 200 and smell this first the next time I go.

I stand corrected. I tried Summer Flash again today and now agree with those who said it smells like a B*Men light. As I was never comfortable with the overpowering A*Men and not much more happy with B*Men, I think I may get a bottle of this stuff after all.

I tested it and wore it for a day, it was a hot and sunny day here and I can tell you that it wears very well!

I am very pleased with A*men SF, I must also add that I never was a fan of A*Men (at least I never wore it) but this stuff to me is more than just watered down original, it echoes A*men but it is a scent on its own, really.

I smelled fresh cotton linnen, wet dirt (patchouli), lemon zest and a hint of mint, chocolate? Nah... maybe just a tiny bit at the very beginning.

The scent stayed fresh and lasted all day. it is evening now and my arm still smells pleasant. Definately a SUMMER staple (if my budget would only allow )

I'm getting way too much mint when I wear it with a touch of chocolate. Doesn't seem to evolve much on me, just kinda fades away after a few hours. Not entirely bad, just doesn't seem to work well with my chemestry. Thankfully I didn't open the box and its going back tomorrow.

Nordstroms in downtown San Francisco has a tester of this right now but not the actual saleable product.

I really, really wanted to like this, but in the end I am glad I will be saving myself the $60, even though I love the bottle itself.

Take all the "dark" elements out of Angel and replace them with the all-too-common aquatic notes...and you have Summer Flash. It changes character frequently: one moment it smells like Angel and in the next moment, the watery notes take over. It doesn't have great lasting power, but in this case I think it is a blessing.

You could probably get a similar -- and better -- effect by simply using the Angel shower gel.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Which one is better? Hanae Mori Men or Angel Men Summer? I'm thinking of getting the H.M Men
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

HM is somewhat of a classic, but may be a little strong for summer use. The Flash is nice and would be better for this season, but will probably never reach the stature of HM.

I (finally) tried it, too, today.

When I was at the mall today (and man, it was packed due to Dad's Day), I went straight to the Men's Fragrance counter at L.S. Ayres. All of a sudden, next to the Everlast Original 1910 and the Azzaro Onyx, I saw Angel Men Summer Flash.

So, I immediately spritzed on the tester... and I noticed a powerful mint note emerge at first. Afterwards, it evolved into a light aquatic scent without the fake watermelon note that permeates so many Acqua di Gio wannabes. At the end, I noticed a dry woody vetiver/patchouli accord similar to Chanel's Coco Mademoiselle and Chance (but obviously, not as feminine). Oddly enough, I didn't notice a single similarity to the original Angel Men... but nonetheless, it's another winner from Thierry Mugler.

Of course, being the Mugler maniac I am, I bought a bottle on the spot (they were charging $59 for 3.4 oz). And, knowing how much I come into their store, the SAs threw in a bunch of samples ranging from Allure Homme Sport to John Varvatos.

P.S.: I also tried the new Jean Paul Gaultier Le Male Summer. If you already own Le Male, don't even bother with this one.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."