Code of Conduct

Default Tell me about "New West" by Aramis

I just blindly bought a bottle off of ebay for dirt cheap and have read the reviews here but was wanting more information on what I can expect..........you know how we are here at Basenotes.

Default Re: Tell me about "New West" by Aramis

Hopefully, you'll enjoy it. Over the years, its been one my favorites. In fact, before finding Basenotes, it was one of only a couple scents that I owned. For me, it's both clean and refreshing, yet it has a depth that alot of "clean" summer fragrances don't have. Spicy from start to finish, but never in a cloying of overpowering way. Having said that, it is made by Aramis....too many sprays can get you in trouble!

Hope you like it.

Cheers,
    Jim

RTbar

you made an excellent choice! This scent is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. Its tought to classify, a part of me wants to call it a marine scent, and the other wants to call it an earthy, manly scent. Its fresh, yet bold, and has extremely good lasting power. It's sort of linear, but thats not nesecerialy a bad thing, as it retains its freshness the whole way through. To me, it smells like Issey Blue with Tobacco and more natural

It's a very unique scent, and it took me a while to really appreciate it...it's a spicy marine scent to my nose.

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    you made an excellent choice! This scent is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. Its tought to classify, a part of me wants to call it a marine scent, and the other wants to call it an earthy, manly scent. Its fresh, yet bold, and has extremely good lasting power. It's sort of linear, but thats not nesecerialy a bad thing, as it retains its freshness the whole way through. To me, it smells like Issey Blue with Tobacco and more natural
    It's been a while since I had this one, but I remember a fresh, cactus note in it. About Issey, blue, it's true, it made me think about New West again, although I'm not sure anymore if they are much alike.

I had been wondering about this one for a while myself. It seems every other Aramis I've tried, I've liked. The spicy/earthy/marine/cactus combo sounds intriguing. So, alright - you talked me into it! I just picked up a 50ml super cheap...figured for less than the cost of two drinks I might as well grab one.

It's not really a marine scent it's an herbal scent. Check it out...

Top Notes
    Calone, Bergamot, Geranium Leaf, Mint

Middle Notes
    Rosemary, Sage, Oregano, Lavender, Bay Leaf, Nutmeg, Juniper

Base Notes
    Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Moss, Musk

It's a heavy scent, good for Winter. It smells strongly of desert sage. Would be good to wear with jeans and a flannel shirt. This was made for a lumber jack!

ooops, my bad. Turns out Calone is a scent chemical used in marine fragrances. Check out the wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calone

Thanks guys!!!!!! I only gave $10.50 for a 3.4 oz bottle so it sounds like I have me a winner................... ;D

The Story:

The overwhelming success of New West for Men in the United States was failed to strike a chord in Europe despite the pioneering concept behind the fragrance. Indeed, New West for Men was the most marine of fragrances that ever existed. It is no longer produced, though it remains in the collective memory of connoisseurs. A typical American fragrance, New West for Men evokes the American West Coast with its athletic, surf-and-wave-loving youth. It was one of the most innovative perfumes in the past twenty years and initiated the use of marine notes in perfumes.

The Perfume Description:

New West for Men was composed after the women's version and features the same uniquely abundant marine notes.
    Lavender, mint and fresh spices blend with a fruity note of watermelon and convey modernity as they mingle with cedarwood and musk.

The Notes:

Top note : Adehydes, Marine Note, Lavender, Mint

Middle note : Juniperberry, Coriander, Water Melon, Pine Needle

Base note : Patchouli, Cedarwood, Oakmoss, Musk

If memory serves me correct, wasn't this the frag in ye olde days that the BN'ers fought in the great Aramis War to have reinstated in a mail campaign?
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

New West is lovely. I could do with a bottle of that right now!

Funny, everyone keeps saying it's a marine fragrance...what about the overdose of sage? I have had two bottles of this over the years and thought it smelled like wild sage that grows in the Southwest. It's the kind of smell that reminds me of the desert....NOT THE OCEAN.

I did have someone tell me I smelled like a whore while wearing it (lol).

Watermellon...definitely not.
    marine....not to me.

Just herbs, wood, patchouli.

Did I mention lots of wild sage?