Code of Conduct

Default Royal English Leather by Creed

[smiley=creed.gif]
    Considering the paucity of reviews and comments on the board, I would really be interested in what you think of this Ur-Fragrance. I simply could not resist buying it at 40 Euros (a full tester), although this may be far too holy a grail to be approached by a perfume novice. Then again I'm a historian and used to starting ar the sources

My first impressions are that
    1. this is an overwhelming scent, in a positive way. It is incredibly concentrated and precise an eighteenth-century laser beam, if you will permit the anachronism.

2. The leather thing. I believe the last leather fragrance I smelled was Tabac Original, something worn by men in Germany all over the place, when I was a kid in the Seventies. REL is obviously another dimension. It does not smell like my leather jacket, briefcase or hiking trousers, but is vaguely reminiscent of the interior of a leatherlined luxury car(rriage).

3.However, my first association on smelling this wasn't leather at all but, brace yourself, the smell of PIER 1 Imports - that near/far east shop (there was one here in Germany in the seventies) offering oriental bric-a-brac and numerous (heady, extreme) aromatic oils, incense and whatnot. It's this orientalist "fantasy of India" association which, upon wearing REL, made me feel not so much like fox-hunting or quail shooting with the Windsors, but rather like living it up with the luxury love slaves of Delhi. I am not sure that wearing this I will not be hit upon - by leery white males in search of exotic erotica :P

4. Mind you that 1780 saw not only the creation on REL but the second Mysore war of the British in India (and is it not a coincidence that Olivier Creed is so fond of Mysore sandalwood - ah, everything is connected 8-)).

I will be studing this fragrance for some time, certainly, and would be most interested to hear wany of your associations, stories, factoids. does anybody happen to know the list of ingredients?

Best wishes from soccer-crazed Germany
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Royal English Leather by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    [smiley=creed.gif]
    Considering the paucity of reviews and comments on the board, I would really be interested in what you think of this Ur-Fragrance. I simply could not resist buying it at 40 Euros (a full tester), although this may be far too holy a grail to be approached by a perfume novice. Then again I'm a historian and used to starting ar the sources *

My first impressions are that
    1. this is an overwhelming scent, in a positive way. It is incredibly concentrated and precise an eighteenth-century laser beam, if you will permit the anachronism.

2. The leather thing. I believe the last leather fragrance I smelled was Tabac Original, something worn by men *in Germany all over the place, when I was a kid in the Seventies. REL is obviously another dimension. It does not smell like my leather jacket, briefcase or hiking trousers, but is vaguely reminiscent of the interior of a leatherlined luxury car(rriage).

3.However, my first association on smelling this wasn't leather at all but, brace yourself, the smell of PIER 1 Imports - that near/far east shop (there was one here in Germany in the seventies) offering oriental bric-a-brac and numerous (heady, extreme) aromatic oils, incense and whatnot. It's this orientalist "fantasy of India" association which, upon wearing REL, *made me feel not so much like fox-hunting or quail shooting with the Windsors, but rather like living it up with the luxury love slaves of Delhi. I am not sure that wearing this I will not be hit upon - by leery white males in search of exotic erotica *:P

4. Mind you that 1780 saw not only the creation on REL but the second Mysore war of the British in India (and is it not a coincidence that Olivier Creed is so fond of Mysore sandalwood - ah, everything is connected *8-)).

I will be studing this fragrance for some time, certainly, and would be most interested to hear wany of your associations, stories, factoids. does anybody happen to know the list of ingredients?

Best wishes from soccer-crazed Germany *
    I think what seperates this from alot of leathers is the sparing use of cade oil, as well as topnotes of mostly sweet orange instead of harsh citurs (lemon / bergamot)

its one of my all time favourites

An extreme favorite of mine too, good life. I disliked it at first, thinking it was all rotting animal with one carcas side exposed to the sun and the other decaying on wet ground. But I came to love it this winter! Yum.

Seriously it is very easy to wear. It lasts forever, presenting complexity at every turn, and it becomes happy-go-lucky with the mandarin good cheer late into the evening and through the night.

This is a really fun scent, not just a royal snooty snoot.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Do share more. You are an excellent writer. Great review! mm
    Peace ~ Markymark

My favorite world class leather swashbuckling scent.

Went through a 1/3oz decant in no time.

When Autumn comes round again . . .

Cheers,

Mario 8-)
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

REL doesn't last long on me, but it smells so damn good!!

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??