Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 76
  1. #1

    Default Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Assuming we're mortal and time is limited . . .

    WHY THE HELL DO WE WEAR ANYTHING LESS THAN A 5 STAR FRAG?

    ( Granting, of course *that *"5 star ratings" *are completely subjective. *Someone, somewhere probably worships Acqua Velva )

    I have a few theories and I'd like your feedback:

    1. We hate our jobs. * Why wear a 5 star frag to a 1 star orifice--er, *office?

    2. Indecision. *Is Havana a 5 or a 4? Or a 4.5?

    3. Impulse buying. *We could have ordered a decant, *but nooooo, *we had to have the full bottle NOW! **And now we're stuck with it.

    4. Some 3-4 star ones are an absolute hoot, *eg; Quasar.

    5. Some 3-4 star ones are magical in certain weather, eg; Jacomo de Jacomo outdoors on *rainy days.

    6. Sloth. ** We'll blow our $ on readily avalable junk and then bewail the fact that *we can't find Nicole Miller for Men, *Antaeus, *Patou Prive, *Havana, *or other dicontinued gems.

    7. WE'RE SO FREAKING ADDICTED WE ACTUALLY BELIEVE *WE ARE "COLLECTORS"

    ------------------------------

    # 7 *is undoubtedly true for some, but not for me, *I don't collect frags, I wear them, and there's plenty of 5 star ones to 'fit my mood.'

    What do you think? *I've come to the conclusion that I do NOT have too many frags, *but I sure as hell have bought too many that I don't really like all that much. *

    So, I repeat, given that we're mortal, time is limited and life is precious

    WHAT THE HELL ARE WE DOING WEARING ANYTHING LESS THAN (what we consider) A 5 STAR FRAG?

    (sigh)

    thx in advance, it's rather puzzling . . .

    Mario :-?
    My Wardrobe

    Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

    Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

    My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    For the same reason we don't wear haute couture for the morning run or to the office or for taking out the garbage, I suppose. :
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

  3. #3

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Because a frag that smells like 2 stars today may be 5 stars tomorrow. As simple as that.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Well, for starters you listed a number of good reasons. I'll add some.

    -Opinions change. What is one day a 5 star is a 3 star the next day.
    -We have to test out fragrances in the first place that could be anywhere from 1-5 stars in order to hopefully find one of the elusive 5 star scents
    -5 star scents are usually mad pricey so one cannot always afford to own enough of them to create a solid rotation
    -I dunno about everyone else, but I'm pretty impulsive. I just grab what feels right whether it's 3 stars or 5 stars
    -People often feel compelled to give Kouros way too many "second: chances
    -The artistic nuances of a 5 star fragrance might not be fully appreciated when one is wildin' out up in da club
    -And last but not least, humans are simply moody little creatures who don't always make sense

  5. #5

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    Because a frag that smells like 2 stars today may be 5 stars tomorrow. As simple as that.
    But does this mean you would only wear it on the day you consider it as a 5-star fragrance?

  6. #6

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Every scent has its merits. Not every composition garners an extra star on every level I judge a fragrance on, but what means everything to me the most is how a certain accord or note just strikes the right feeling and makes the lightbulb go on in my head.

    The huge quantity (compared to the normal bloke's standards) in my collection is absolutely because of collective purposes, how one style of scent echoes the style of another, how one scent describes perfectly the mood that I'm in.

    Honestly, does one always feel that they're always in a 4-5 star element or moment? There's days when a scent will wear me if I'm not up to its grandeur.

    When I just want to disappear and create a "lack of presence" so to speak, I definitely wear Ungaro's Apparition Homme! ;D
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  7. #7

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    [quote author=Xen link=1150176314/0#2 date=1150178932]Because a frag that smells like 2 stars today may be 5 stars tomorrow. As simple as that.
    But does this mean you would only wear it on the day you consider it as a 5-star fragrance?[/quote]
    If it matches the mood, occasion, weather etc, and I feel like wearing it, I would consider it as a 5 star fragrance for that day and wear it. So yes, it's sort of like what you said but not that "mechanical".

  8. #8

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    I welcome this completely new subject and thread! Splendid thoughts, Mario!

    (a) My first answer (I am just beginning to ponder now) would be similar to your No. 1, and Tigrushka's haute couture argument: I do feel respect for all the 5*-ones! Our bathroom cabinet is kind of a holy shrine. I want to protect the 'treasures' from spiritual wear and tear. Nipping at the holy grail in a rush, at work, in the garden? - No, I am afraid that could destroy the magic.

    (b) 3-4 star frags: these deserve indeed five stars in certain situations, like the office, in a certain climate of the year, or under certain mental conditions, to name the most important.

    (c) Museum aspect/sentimental reasons: : there are perfumes I would hardly ever wear, in spite of thinking highly of them (rated five, but do not make me happy). A few feminines belong there. I respect them, I enjoy smelling a drop or two, but not for wearing. Some masculine frags also - I want to maybe use them as reference, long after I have taken them out of the wardrobe . That is different from being a collection addict. I have more than 8 Guerlains, and appreciate that house. I do not need 9 & 10, but if they fall into my lap, I shall add them to 'be complete' - ok addict here!

    (d) Being an auction and 'sales' addict does not help.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    I'm going with:


    6. Sloth. We'll blow our $ on readily avalable junk and then bewail the fact that we can't find Nicole Miller for Men, Antaeus, Patou Prive, Havana, or other dicontinued gems.

    Hell, I'm extremely lucky if I can find readily avalable junk in my area. I have to buy vertually everything blind. Recent blind purchases like Gucci Envy, Rive Gauche, Live Jazz, Azzoro Visit, and Angel Men seem exotic to me. I hate the midwest.


  10. #10

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Some of my scents smell like 5 star frags, but I rate them as 4 stars because of subpar sillage, development, or other miscellaneous reasons. But they still smell good.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    this is an interesting question, Id like to put forward an answer. lately I have actually been trying to get around to archiving my non 5 star bottles because really, I don't even wear them anymore at all since I've bought up alot of 5 stars I've always wanted. I think a reason that alot of us are still wearing our 3 stars is because we

    a) haven't found enough 5 stars to wear for the multitude of situations we put ourselves in
    b) feel bad about all the 80% full bottles of our pre enlightened collecting... and still continue to wear them
    c) wear the 3 stars for memories

  12. #12

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I support the emotional/situational 5stars theory:
    Many frags, even not being 5 stars rated, in some emotional state or in some situation or in some climate become perfect. I believe it's almost impossible to find the scent perfect for any state, specially for me, having endless eagerness of change and new knowledge.
    Moreover taste changes through the years and thus rating of a scent could change according to this.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    this is an interesting question, Id like to put forward an answer. lately I have actually been trying to get around to archiving my non 5 star bottles because really, I don't even wear them anymore at all since I've bought up alot of 5 stars I've always wanted. I think a reason that alot of us are still wearing our 3 stars is because we

    a) haven't found enough 5 stars to wear for the multitude of situations we put ourselves in
    b) feel bad about all the 80% full bottles of our pre enlightened collecting... and still continue to wear them
    c) wear the 3 stars for memories
    Seriously, czesc, after your holier-than-thou posts, do you really want to consider having anything hanging around in your arsenal, despite those pre-enlightenment/3-star givings, wouldn't you have the resources to actually have Guerlain or Creed create one for you? Perhaps Clive Christian can use you as a frame of inspiration???

    Gawd, even Paris Hilton would eat a Dunkin Doughnut!
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    I think it's rationalization in part. If you've spent for something, you have to use it (even if rarely) otherwise you made a mistake. As long as you keep it in rotation, it's not a mistake.

    on a side note, I've seen two references in the past few days to Antaeus being discontinued. But just yesterday I checked the Chanel site and it is listed. Can someone give me a pointer here, I'm a bit confused. (and Antaeus is on my 'to be acquired' list, so I'm concerned, too)

  15. #15

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    For me, the following reasons:

    - ratings are somewhat arbitrary. Any fragrance I buy, I obviously quite like to begin with (I don't buy blind) so whilst I rate my wardrobe from 3-5, pretty much all of them are IMO good
    - thus, the difference between 3 and 5 is not great
    - some "5"s are ones that must be kept for special occasions
    - some move up and down the rating ladder with mood, season, getting to know them
    - some might not get 5 because of poor longevity, but might still be gorgeous frags

    Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

    Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

  16. #16
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,708

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Mario- This is one of the best posts I have seen in a while. Once you realize what a true 5 star frag is, and Havana IS a 5 Star Frag, you want to find others at that level. It simply requires going through 200+ swaps/purchases to do so.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Why do I wear less than 5 star fragrances?

    For me the answer is simple, no matter how good it is, I'd get bored wearing Kiton all the time.

    So I save it for special occasions and make do with the three star ones like GIT and the MPG ones for more mundane occasions.
    Renato

  18. #18

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Different day... Different mood... Different choices!

    My reason is: I simply just LOVE VARIETY in my life

    ...and the truth is that at times you have to try, and in fact wear some of your not so hot picks in order to TRULY appreciate your HG status fragrances... But maybe that's just me

    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

    Salvador Dali

  19. #19

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    I wouldn`t never wear anything less than a 4 star fragrance. To me, wearing a 3 (not to mention less) star frag is murder.

    The line between 4 and 5 can be very thin, and I guess I need those a bit less exciting frag-days to feel something exceptional again.
    So, if 5 star fragrances are Kings and Queens, 4 star fragrances are Princes and Princesses.

    And you know, I`ve heard the two of the latter can be quite a sight for sore eyes, too.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Great topic! I just couldn't think of anything other than everything's relative in the frag world even our opinions on a certain frag today (wich might change over time). I also love variety , as Pm said.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I love this question. I was pondering this yesterday when I was picking out a scent to wear. I don't have a real great idea why. I believe this would be the same reason you don't eat your favorite foods everyday or only listen to the best songs on an album. Would it remain a 5 star if you used it everyday? I don't know if I would want to find out.
    Also, 5 star scents can also be specific (e.g. great in winter, summer, at the club).

  22. #22

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    I started out with an interest in fragrance, but no idea of what I actually liked. I bought quite a few bottles in the beginning that today I wish I hadn't bought. Now I think I understand my tastes better and make fewer mistakes in purchasing, but still I end up loosing interest in things that I liked at one time. I still occationally wear these for: variety, to use them up, or to just reevaluate them. I liked it enough to buy it at some point, right? Sometimes scents that get "downgraded" really just need a break and I eventually bring them back into rotation.

    I also have swapped 2-3 star frags (basically frags that I have lost interest in) for things I'm not sure I'll like, but I am willing to swap just to change things up. These new items often automatically get a 2-3 star rating and go immediately on the swap list. Even in these cases, I have never felt that I was worse off after the swap. At least I was rid of something I knew I didn't want and took a chance on something new.

    I think we rate scents on a scale rather than just like/don't like because there are shades of grey in how much you like something. Somethings are desirable, but not a favorite. As many have said, I'd get totally bored wearing only my 5 stars(I think I have 4-5 scents rated with 5 stars).

    As a final analogy - its like asking why bother with anyone except your very closest friends. Would you ALWAYS prefer to be with your best friends than any other acquaintance? I'm guessing not. I'd guess most people have a place in their life for a variety of types and levels of acquaintances and its not ALWAYS the right time or place for your best friend. Just my 2c

  23. #23

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    It is easy to reply to this question - at least for me:

    If we wear 5 star scents every day we would never have a "special" day.

    In fact I have been thinking about this question several times and I always come to this conclusion. Most days it is absolutely all right "just" to smell good - the 5 stars scents I save for special occations.

    Mic.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Wearing a scent is the only real way to get to know it in my opinion. A scent may be a two-star scent during the first wearing, but there is something that makes me intrigued, and I want to discover that more, so I wear it another time, and another. I have sometime wore scents that I really felt uncomfortable in (eg. Rive Gauche), thinking that I will still learn a lot from it. I have not made up my mind - not REALLY made up my mind - about any of my scents. I may start to think that one scent, which I initially loved, really is a bore (eg. Gaultier2), and another scent I will grow to love. One, two, three, four or five stars.? It's nothing constant.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Agitation reduces the ability to discern Stars....

  26. #26

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    in order for me to rate a fragrance 3/+ stars I must consider it to be worth wearing... I'm not sure if that answers your question.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

  27. #27

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    My reasons are blind buys and loss of passion for a certain type of smell. I am currently fazing them out to only allow the best but that is taking a lot of time...

  28. #28

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    OK, I'm gonna take the response Tig's gave and put a Chicago spin on it........just for fun!!

    To answer the question as to "Why would we wear a sub-five-star rated scent......?"

    Listen!! 'Ya can't be eatin' Filet Mignon and Prime Rib every dang day!! If 'ya don't get tired of it first, you'd be broke as a joke before 'ya knew it!! Know whatahmean?? Someday's 'ya gotta just have a turkey sandwich and a Diet Dr. Pepper and be happy with it!! Then....that fat steak (or lobster or whatever) tastes mighty good!! It's all about the mood, too. Sometimes 'ya just want "nice" as opposed to "mind-blowing."

    Helps you keep everything in perspective, I think.

    Besides, just because you can drive 55 MPH on the freeway doesn't mean you can do it all the time!!


  29. #29

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    I almost forgot - Marlen started something similar a while ago - lots of responses:
    http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...num=1147187491
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  30. #30

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Further to earlier...

    Life is full of distractions. Opportunities abound. For a Student, the prospect of arduous study is one choice among many. Passing Examinations with Laurel Leaves though, reveals the Study Option as the 5 Star choice.

    Stars are the places where our own shining Discrimination breaks through....

  31. #31

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    For the same reason we don't wear haute couture for the morning run
    We don't?

    Probably because I already know I really like the 5 star frag.

    I'm usually more interested in my 3 star frags than 4-5 star frags. There is something usually compelling about them that keeps them in the wardrobe, and then I endeavor to find out why. I think that is why Kouros has been sitting in my wardrobe for so long even though it is one of my "take it or leave it" frags. Same with Guerlain Vetiver.
    K
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

  32. #32

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    [quote author=tigrushka link=1150176314/0#1 date=1150177043]For the same reason we don't wear haute couture for the morning run
    We don't? [/quote]

    Well, do we? Do you? :-?

    (I generally prefer to speak for myself only instead of for the whole world and their dog but that "we" was right there in the title of this thread, so... )
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

  33. #33

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    ...I'm usually more interested in my 3 star frags than 4-5 star frags. There is something compelling about them ...
    K

    Very true - a reason of its own, not included in the seven above. Indecison (2) is different from the odd scent, bugging me to like it better 8-)
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  34. #34
    Basenotes Member Blue Zinnia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Money. Period. Not everyone here is well off.

  35. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    186
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Zinnia View Post
    Money. Period. Not everyone here is well off.
    It seems to me that being expensive is neither necessary nor sufficient to being a five-star perfume. There are actually some great perfumes which are very reasonably priced... Looked at from the opposite direction: plenty of exorbitantly priced niche offerings are disappointingly mediocre...

  36. #36
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,753

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I don't give much credence to fragrance ratings. I simply wear what I like.

  37. #37

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I think it goes a bit like this for me..........

    I buy a 5 star fragrance on day 1, it stays a five star fragrance. I then find something even nicer - a six star fragrance. I still have the 5 star fragrance and use it but less often than the six star. Continues until I have a '10 star' fragrance which, when it is recalibrated to a 5 star, makes the original 5 star a 1 star. I still like the 1 star so decide to use it for the office or other non-intimate occasions.

    Having said that I still do wear my absolute favourites to work at times.

    Go figure

  38. #38

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Because a frag that smells like 2 stars today may be 5 stars tomorrow. As simple as that.
    good answer!
    my current top five (always in transition)

    Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

  39. #39
    Basenotes Member Blue Zinnia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    75

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by sherapop View Post
    It seems to me that being expensive is neither necessary nor sufficient to being a five-star perfume. There are actually some great perfumes which are very reasonably priced...
    That's absolutely true, in terms of the market or of the middleclass consumer. But I'm on what is genteelly known as a fixed income (why they call it "fixed" when we're so often broke is an enigma ), so "reasonable" is not usually the same as feasible. To put it in perspective, this month Avon has a really good sale going on. The one-ounce Imari cologne is marked down from around $20 to $4.99, and the Mesmerize aftershave conditioner, normally around $10, is $2.99. Total with tax, less than nine bucks. Lunch for most here, perhaps, but it was a splurge I'd saved up for for three months. The Avon frag I really want, and have lusted after for many months . . . . "Today", their best scent in 30 years, usually priced between $25 and $30. . . .is probably still out of the question till this summer, if then. So. . . .can you see how a $40 or $50 pricetag on the "good stuff" looks from here? It's not always about what's reasonable; sometimes it's about what's possible.
    Last edited by Blue Zinnia; 30th October 2011 at 01:29 AM. Reason: typo

  40. #40

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I only wear frags that to me are 5 or near 5 starts. i have some so called 5 star scents by basenotes standards that i never wear and are collecting dust (made mistake of buying blind on impulse). id rather wear a "2-3 star frag" that i love that a 5 star frag that i dont like.

  41. #41

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    What a great topic.

    How about a little philosophical reason. If we haven't tried anything four-star, three-star or less, how would we come at a five-star definition? In other words, one always needs a reference point...

  42. #42

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than  5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    Because a frag that smells like 2 stars today may be 5 stars tomorrow. As simple as that.
    + 1

  43. #43

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I just think it takes time to know what 5 star frags are. If you have only sampled 5 scents, then the best one is 5 stars by default. If you've sampled a thousand, then maybe 50 make the criteria. If you take into account thing like changing tastes, current fascinations, etc., then you know these things are constantly changing.

    I also firmly believe that if you wear something enough, you will eventually get sick of it no matter how good it is.

  44. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    186
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I just think it takes time to know what 5 star frags are. If you have only sampled 5 scents, then the best one is 5 stars by default. If you've sampled a thousand, then maybe 50 make the criteria. If you take into account thing like changing tastes, current fascinations, etc., then you know these things are constantly changing.

    I also firmly believe that if you wear something enough, you will eventually get sick of it no matter how good it is.
    Those are interesting points. I gather that the OP (from five years ago!) was asking why we do not wear five stars by our own assessments. The way I rate perfumes, a three-star perfume is wearable but not a must have. One star means unwearable in my book, and two star usually means that I don't like it but think that it might have some redeeming quality. So, in my wardrobe, nearly everything is a three-, four- or five-star perfume, because anything which I really do not like I swap away or get rid of. The exceptions are bottles I acquired blind and have not fully evaluated or else have not yet figured out what to do with. There are also a few which simply baffle me, because other people have claimed that they are great, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

    So the question is: why do I not restrict myself to only the five-star perfumes in my collection, and one answer given above with which I agree is that different occasions, moods, weather, etc., call for different fragrances. Some of my favorite summer scents are failures on me in the winter, and vice versa. (My ratings are of the perfume worn in "optimum" conditions...)

    It's not so much that I'd get sick of something if I wore it all the time (that did not happen when Oscar was all that I wore for a few years...) but that I now am much more picky about what to wear when and where. So I agree that when one has limited experience, then one's single perfume ("signature scent") will be the best in one's collection and may even seem to be the greatest perfume in existence!

    Today I love Fracas but find it inappropriate for about 98% of all possible perfume-wearing situations. Among other potential problems, some five-star perfumes demand my undivided attention, which I may or may not be able to give. I cannot wear a masterpiece (five-star) or a swoon-worthy perfume when I want to actually get something done!

  45. #45
    AromiErotici
    Guest

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    A 5 star frag is a 5 star frag if I say it's a 5 star frag. I truly ( and I mean this sincerely ) could care less what others rate anything. I also take no offense when someone hates what I love. It's all good.

    Lesser frags have a place man. They should be occasion-appropriate.

  46. #46

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by fjord View Post
    What a great topic.

    How about a little philosophical reason. If we haven't tried anything four-star, three-star or less, how would we come at a five-star definition? In other words, one always needs a reference point...
    I agree on all counts, it's a great thread.

    You only really know 5 star after you've experienced 2,3, or 4.

    Once you've found your first 5 star fragrance, the search continues... and so on.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

  47. #47
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    640

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    My opinion changes daily so is a star rating.
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  48. #48

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    for me is because not every day is a 5 star fragrance day. i pick based on mood and occasion. some days, it feels like its a run in the mill day, so ill pick up a run in the mill scent, other days, its a special day, and i will feel like going all out with a special five star scent. i guess it all depends on our moods, we are emotional beings, and we don't always seek the same thing every day, and most of us don't want to limit ourselves to one signature scent.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I'm unclear on whose " 5 Star" rating we're talking about. Turin? Our own rating?

    If its our own rating, then speaking for myself, anything 3 or above I like enough to wear regularly. Five stars are just the ones I really love.

  50. #50

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I'm pretty sure Mario meant our own subjective 5 star fragrances.

  51. #51
    vita odorifera
    perfaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Lagos
    Posts
    7,584
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I'm unclear on whose " 5 Star" rating we're talking about. Turin? Our own rating?

    If its our own rating, then speaking for myself, anything 3 or above I like enough to wear regularly. Five stars are just the ones I really love.
    Agreed. I am fortunate to be able to afford to buy any frag i come across and like. However, i derive the same pleasure from Tabac Original as i do from Amouage Gold Men, and they are miles apart in the price and ingredient-quality spectrum. Naturally, one will be a star or two above the other, when rated for qualities other than satisfaction, since i am "supposed" to be relatively knowledgeable about frags.

    If a frag is, say, 3-stars or less (by my own rating) it means it doesn't tick all my boxes and also means it wont be part of my wardrobe in the first place or for long, since i wear only what i like a lot or love.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

    #BBOG!

  52. #52

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mario meant our own subjective 5 star fragrances.
    Got it. Well, we each have our own criteria for our star system. There are no absolutes. For me, three stars means I like it a fair amount. Less than three, I'm probably pissed that I bought it.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    In my case, a combination between motives 1., 4. and the fact my mood, tastes, preference, interests change very rapidly, and along with it, so does my rating of ANY particular fragrance

  54. #54

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I wear whatever suits my clothes

  55. #55

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Who is giving out these stars ? I go with my nose it sounds like utter snobbery to believe ratings even if God is giving them.

  56. #56

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I have a pretty wide range of fragrances. Some are better than others from a technical point of view but I still like the more run of the mill in some way or other.

    Plus, there is no way I am going to wear my best fragrances every day to the office, I would rather wear something nice but not top notch unless I have a specific purpose.

    Also, the awarding of stars is purely subjective and arbitrary anyway. Some people give Aventus five stars, I wouldn't give it one, so it takes all sorts.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

  57. #57

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    We don't.

    Hmmm, that's a bit pretentious.

    One doesn't

  58. #58

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    Is there any fragrance that can garner an overall 5 star rating without it wavering? If so, I want it.

  59. #59

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    I'm assuming you our own personal rating.

    Well my wardrobe is composed primarily of 4 stars with a fe 5 stars. The distinguishing star between them is simply my own personal appeal to them. So I could say my wardrobe consists of perfumes I LOVE and and a few I love exceptionally.

    So to answer your question, i don't wear anything less than 5 stars.

    for swap/sale:





  60. #60

    Default Re: Why do we wear less than *5 star frags?

    For the same reason I don't exclusively read Literature. I enjoy being entertained, and many of the books that entertain me are, critically-speaking, crap. I love my personally-rated 5 stars, but I also love the "lesser" fragrances. Sometimes they suit my mood, sometimes they are selected for a particular note or facet that I'm "craving", other times just because they entertain me in a way that suits that day. I'm not a snob, so a scent doesn't have to be "perfect" to warrant attention from me. (Not calling those of you who prefer to stick to the 5's a snob, btw - please take no offense)

    Then again, there's a limit. I don't own any "1 stars". I don't see the point. I have a few in my collection I'd rate at "3" or "4" - those are the ones I'm speaking about above. Owning a 1 star is like obtaining a poorly written romance novel I have no intention of ever reading. Why do it?

Similar Threads

  1. Does any Men wear Womens frags?
    By thisbekevinn in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 4th December 2010, 10:12 PM
  2. Choosing a one star (*) - which one to wear?
    By seattlelight in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 3rd June 2008, 09:58 AM
  3. Where to wear these Frags? (A*Men, Gucci PH, PE, RSM)
    By thisbekevinn in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 29th January 2007, 01:15 AM
  4. What Are The Best Frags for Formal Wear?
    By muchisgiven in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19th December 2006, 06:40 PM
  5. Frags you don't wear because everybody else is wearing them?
    By mentallo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 31st August 2006, 06:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000