Code of Conduct

Thread: Mechant Loup

Default Mechant Loup

I bought Mechant Loup recently over the internet. Is anyone else surprised how tame this fragrance is? The advertising said "Naughty Wolf", I'd call that false advertising. It's nice enough, I guess. I wear it occassionally. But it was kind of a disappointment.

Default Re: Mechant Loup

I too think it is a pretty lame fragrance. While L'artisan is an overall superb house as far as making fragrance goes, they are possibly even better at marketing. Dzing!=Circus?? Gimme a break! Hopefully you can swap it for something you will be able to enjoy more. Blind buys are usually up to no good like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jowcoffee
    I bought Mechant Loup recently over the internet. *Is anyone else surprised how tame this fragrance is? *The advertising said "Naughty Wolf", I'd call that false advertising. *It's nice enough, I guess. *I wear it occassionally. *But it was kind of a disappointment.
    this stuff is well put together as a "scent" but as a frag to wear it just sucks, im so glad i got rid of this bottle. its a very subtle distinction, what I just said, between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by jowcoffee
    I bought Mechant Loup recently over the internet. Is anyone else surprised how tame this fragrance is? The advertising said "Naughty Wolf", I'd call that false advertising. It's nice enough, I guess. I wear it occassionally. But it was kind of a disappointment.
    Many here have commented on this, so you are not alone. It is a tame, close to the skin, scent. Yes, the name is misleading.

I really don't like this one yet either, one of the few from L'Artisan that has left me cold...

I disagree with you guys about this one. I do see this as a big bad wolf smelling scent. On the cool fall winter/nights I've worn it, I have gotten a few reactions from girls/ women that seemed to reinforce this. I only had a sample but I wore the heck out of it til it was gone, and it was great. I really felt super masculine and a bit macho wearing it. I'm going to get a bottle when Fall rolls around.

To me, Mechant Loup is everything it is advertised as...

There is a damp feeling to the scent I just don't like, something juicy... Sorry for not describing it better. I know there are many followers of this scent here on Basenotes and that was why I got a sample, but it just wasn't my kind of fragrance (I'm definately saying it is a bad scent here).

Mechant Loup is one of the best L'Artisan in my opinion: if perfectly embodies the concept of "perfume as a voyage"!
    Wearing it is like taking a trip through the woods in a dewy morning of september, and deeply breathing the foggy air filled of the smell of moist soil and tree roots heated by flash of sunlight.
    Cannot see the naughty wolf yet? Look well and you'll find him hidden in the shadows of this juice, darting angry looks through the hazelnut shrubs and bewitch red riding hood with whispers of honey!
    You can really feel like this wearing it, specially in the fall!

I too was let down by it. It smells like a distant echo of Herrera for Men, with some nuts, a bit of woods and, eh, thats about it. You can smell the quality blending, but it did nothing for me. ho hum.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    There is a damp feeling to the scent I just don't like, something juicy... Sorry for not describing it better. I know there are many followers of this scent here on Basenotes and that was why I got a sample, but it just wasn't my kind of fragrance (I'm definately saying it is a bad scent here).

I completely agree with your assesment of the "damp" feel of this fragrance - it reminds me of moss. Moss growing in the shadows of tall trees in dark forests where all the light is filtered through the green canopy above. The other wetness that this reminds me of is sweat. Not stuck to polyester for 3 days and stinking to the heavens kind - but the kind that comes out when you sit in a sauna and your skin sweats. Another thing that this reminds me of, is - hold your breath - dog pee. When your shaggy dog hasn't had a bath for a bit and you are close to giving him his next shower, the smell of the dog deep in his fur - this reminds me of that. So all in all, the smell of a slightly dirty dog/furry animal, that has rolled in the moss of a cool and damp forest floor. Woods, urine like notes of honey and musk complete this one. I ADORE it. It has gotten me so many complements - infact - a colleague of mine thought it smelt so good that he asked me to point out where he could buy this. It was his first L'Artisan. This one is just brilliant in my opinion - a fresh, yet dirty, shaggy, musky and damp like a forest floor kind of scent. Love it.

Does this sounds like or smells like blind buy? Sometimes you get a good 1 sometimes you don't. I love the honey drydown in mechant loup but it fade too fast. Advertising is so powerful.. Give it a few more spins and try in different climate.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks it's tame. For the ones of you who love it, I see your points, I like it too, somewhat, I just think that the scent is very mild and gentlemanly, not wild and animalistic, which is what I was expecting.

If you think Mechant Loup is too subtle, then I'd suggest that you stay away from Bond's West Broadway, which to me smells like Mechant Loup in EDC strength.

I think this one is so nice. It makes me feel like I am wearing the perfect 'man's' cologne. It is not that annoying fresh stuff so it is indeed different but it is so intriguing. I think it gets a 10 from me. It is close to Tea for Two in terms of how much I like it.

I guess I have a slightly different taste than you all... :-/

It's not that I don't like it. It's just that I was expecting a monster, a snarling beast of a fragrance. What I got was a kindly gentleman.

Initially, it smelled ok but like all L'Artisan fragranes, it smells like collectings from an anal lavage of a billy goat. Not that I would know, but it is how I would imagine it to be. Plain dirty! In all fairness, I retested the entire L'Artisan line last week and for the love of Yaweh, I could not bring myself to like a single one. I suppose the patchouli patch it decent, I'll say that. Fare thee well.