Code of Conduct

Default I wore Tsar all week this week

....New Tsar...

Then tonight I sprayed some vintage. What a disgrace, they removed everything that smells expensive. I hadn't used my old/vintage Tsar in a while and I could smell even from the nozzle, the sharp animal aromatic animal, right from the bottle - conversely, I had just used my bottle of new 'Tsar', and couldn't detect a thing from the sprayer. Sad.. If you see old Tsar, SNATCH IT! The compliments I get from the original, rampant, plus, its great to wear. A truely amazing fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I wore Tsar all week this week

I completely agree. I wore Tsar as my signature scent in college (early 90's), and was completely disappointed when I recently picked up a bottle in the new packaging. It's a total shame.

#

I was going to get a bottle of Tsar this weekend. What does the new vs vintage packaging look like?
    Based on your comments I definately want to get the vintage.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mason
    I was going to get a bottle of Tsar this weekend. What does the new vs vintage packaging look like?
    Based on your comments I definately want to get the vintage.
    This is what the original bottle (the good stuff) looks like:

Here is the new packaging:

I got it, its the wood.. The wood they used in the vintage was too expensive, its a rich exotic, not too far off from Armani Prive Bois d'Encens.. I'd suspect the top aromatic notes (which put Tsar on the map) were also of a much higher caliber.

On this issue, like a nut, I've posted a 'question' to the VCA Parfums website asking them to speak to the change. Stay tuned 8-)
    Shall we not get it from the horse's mouth? :

One more note of comment, not only have they removed all of the expensive essence from the scent, they removed it's romance. Smelling them back to back, it's the vintage which induces mental imagery. And who the hell doesn't want to proceed down any corridor smelling like anything but aromatic exotic wood oil with the rarest of plants?

I find that the new one lasts longer on me than the old one...

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I own a small bottle of vintage Tsar EdT, and haven`t even smelled the new one. 8-)

I had the vintage After Shave too, but I got rid of it since I don`t care about a-shaves at all, for some reason.

francois

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    On this issue, like a nut, I've posted a 'question' to the VCA Parfums website asking them to speak to the change. Stay tuned 8-)
    I did that about three years ago (when the new packaging appeared, actually) and the rep told me the juice didn't change at all.

I think the juice in the older (vintage) bottles you have has evolved with time and maturation and seems different than the new one.

Juice did not change. Same same.

Quote Originally Posted by francois
    [quote author=Ric link=1147475276/0#4 date=1147482023]On this issue, like a nut, I've posted a 'question' to the VCA Parfums website asking them to speak to the change. Stay tuned 8-)
    I did that about three years ago (when the new packaging appeared, actually) and the rep told me the juice didn't change at all.

I think the juice in the older (vintage) bottles you have has evolved with time and maturation and seems different than the new one.[/quote]

Francois, good to hear from you man, hope all is well in beautiful Montreal. I must disagree - The juice is much much differenent. And regarding longevity, the back to back sample I did last night - this morning, the vintage was alive and clear (even after a shower), and absolutely no trace of the new.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Vavoom
    Juice did not change. Same same.
    KV, sorry dude! Try them back to back! :'(

Post Thanks / Like

looked for it today...in one of the perfume shops in my city, they have still the "origininals'...

But, I know, already said it here, that they have changed YSL Kouros, Cacharel...a few years ago, BUT, can"t it be that our taste and skin changes in time so we thinking that the scent has changed ??
    To me, in the 80ies, Jacomo de Jacomo was one of my signature scents, and now, it smell completely different on me...

I wonder :-/

francois

[quote author=francois link=1147475276/0#8 date=1147534358][quote author=Ric link=1147475276/0#4 date=1147482023]On this issue, like a nut, I've posted a 'question' to the VCA Parfums website asking them to speak to the change. Stay tuned 8-)

I think the juice in the older (vintage) bottles you have has evolved with time and maturation and seems different than the new one.[/quote]

Francois, good to hear from you man, hope all is well in beautiful Montreal. I must disagree - The juice is much much differenent. And regarding longevity, the back to back sample I did last night - this morning, the vintage was alive and clear (even after a shower), and absolutely no trace of the new. [/quote]
    Hi Ric.
    Actually, I'm from Quebec City, not Montreal.
    I was just reporting what the rep told me.
    However, last year I tested both vintage juice and new one, and didn't notice any difference.
    A case of wishful thinking?

Best regards,
    François

I recently picked up a new bottle of TSAR and noticed no difference at all. Same great stuff - maybe better longevity!
    Peace ~ Markymark

Hey guys,
    How are you doing today.
    I just bought my first bottle of Tsar today from a local retailer in Beijing, China.
    At first I thought it could resemble Gucci Nobile or Drakkar Noir, but after trying it home for the first time, my view changed. Tsar is lighter than Nobile and less harsh than Drakkar, especially without a mossy note. To me, Tsar is easier to wear as an unobtrusive scent when I'm teaching everywhere.
    Got no idea of whether it performs during cold days, but for a steaming hot summer here in Beijing, it is quite a staple.
    I don't feel it is like old school scent, I can easily wear its class.
    A 1.7 oz bottle costs me 30 USD, quite fair in China as you got no where to find it.

Awaiting to hear more from you guys.

Nice time.

Hi Edulis - I recently wore Tsar at a graduation and recieved nice compliments. *Hope you continue to enjoy it. *Take care!
    Peace ~ Markymark

Post Thanks / Like

I also bought the new Tsar and the juice is the same from the old one... I'm enjoying it a lot. It's a nice refreshing fragrance with a spicy / sandalwoody drydown mixed with some patchouli and maybe moss...
    Tsar is in my versatile fragrances top 5!
    I just don't get the relation people do with YSL Jazz... For me, Jazz is much more powdery and formal, a confusion of notes that makes the fragrance thick and even cloying...

Dear Marky, Thanks.

I feel Tsar is easier to wear is because it is less harsh compare with Nobile and Drakkar. I can't judge what the dry down is, just thought about woody notes, but not sure what exactly it is. I can't determine the sandalwood for the dry down. So, to me Tsar is different from Nobile and Drakkar Noir(more sandalwood and moss, wet and raw).

Also I found it is a light fragrance, contrary to my stereotype idea about it. Also, I Tsar's dry down reminds me of a scent named "Lapidus Homme" which I sampled 2 years ago in Beijing and nowadays just unavailable, have you got that thought? Or maybe you'd like to try sometime.

The tempurature here today is 28 C, quite good for Tsar I think.

Keep well and in touch.

Good description calling it wet and raw! I would add earthy to it. The sandalwood and moss are lovely. Ya got to love the name: TSAR. An opulent scent IMO with an awesome dry down. I have never smelled Lapidus. Oh well, enjoy the weather you're having!

BTW, I usually do 4/5 hits of TSAR, two neck and two to the chest - spritz on wrist. Good to go all day.

Long live the understated TSAR!
    Peace ~ Markymark

Marky,
    I think you are more adequately applied than I do. I dare not do 4/5 spritzs as it is in Beijing, people around seem to treat you as an ET if you do that much, also for most men here in Beijing don't use scent at all. Only a portion of business people, foreigners and some fassionable guys wear scent. So, you can easily wear Acqa Di Gio without further embarrassment and worry of encoutering other Gios.

I normally spray 2 on my back (not neck), that is all for a day time though I know it is not enough. Then the aroma would linger for 5 hours until I can hardly detect myself.

Then reason I don't spray on chest is that I worry it may harm my breath system and I had such problem before with other scents, namely Kouros, Ralf Lauren Polo and even Drakkar Noir, if I dare to spray on chest or even on my arms. So I think I got a weak breath system. Even the scents like CK One and Eternity may leave me a sore throat, that is why I seldom use Eternity which I think is good to smell from others not from myself. I can't stand the aldehyde from the CK Eternity.

Where are you from Marky?

Fun. :-?

Tsar (new bottle) lasts on my skin ca. one hour only. Such a pity...

Quote Originally Posted by RCavs
    I also bought the new Tsar and the juice is the same from the old one...
    RCavs, dude ;D Try them back to back! you'll be searching for vintage, trust.... Wonderful stuff.. 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by edulis
    Hey guys,
    How are you doing today.
    I just bought my first bottle of Tsar today from a local retailer in Beijing, China.
    At first I thought it could resemble Gucci Nobile or Drakkar Noir, but after trying it home for the first time, my view changed. Tsar is lighter than Nobile and less harsh than Drakkar, especially without a mossy note. To me, Tsar is easier to wear as an unobtrusive scent when I'm teaching everywhere.
    Got no idea of whether it performs during cold days, but for a steaming hot summer here in Beijing, it is quite a staple.
    I don't feel it is like old school scent, I can easily wear its class.
    A 1.7 oz bottle costs me 30 USD, quite fair in China as you got no where to find it.

Awaiting to hear more from you guys.

Nice time.

edulis, Interesting post, and welcome to Basenotes if you haven't been welcomed already. Interesting Tsar would be rare in Bejing, was it the old or new bottle you had found?

Hi Ric,
    Thanks for the warm welcome, my bottle is new, pity?
    I didn't decide to buy when the old bottle still available in Beijng in 2002, but no trace after that.
    Fot now, you can only search Tsar out on internet from Macau, not from mainland, and that is the reason I call it a rare scent here.

Do you like Al pacino? He is my idol. I still can't determine whether as you said the new one is an underquenching, but to me, it lasts 5 hours on my skin with only 2 spritz. I think that is quite reasonable compare with other scents for men.

I am from Beijing, and where are you from Ric?

Gah! I passed a bottle going for cheap! Now I regret not testing it! :'(

Hi Ric,
    Thanks for the warm welcome, my bottle is new, pity?
    I didn't decide to buy when the old bottle still available in Beijng in 2002, but no trace after that.
    Fot now, you can only search Tsar out on internet from Macau, not from mainland, and that is the reason I call it a rare scent here.

Do you like Al pacino? He is my idol. I still can't determine whether as you said the new one is an underquenching, but to me, it lasts 5 hours on my skin with only 2 spritz. I think that is quite reasonable compare with other scents for men.

I am from Beijing, and where are you from Ric?

Hi edulis, 'underquenching', interesting descriptive I've found that 'new' tsar would be more refreshing, however the original really has the nice rich essences that make this scent classic and expensive smelling. I'm from Toronto, nice city 8-), when you say you cannot search for it in mainland China, would that imply you can not purchase it from that region if it were available?

Hi Ric,
    Thanks for reply, and Toronto is must be a fancy place although I've never been there before. Canada is considered a perfect place to live by Asians.

I can't search for it means it is not available in China, and the day I was so lucky to encounter Tsar at one of my trusted vendor's, and with only a little hesitation, I bought it. The chance like so is so thin, as you may not know, people in China don't know much about scents, they only know Dior, Chanel and even Kenzo, not more than that. In that sense, vendors only buy in the scents made by "big names" without facing risk of being stacked with the stock.

I think the vendor still holds 2 or 3 bottles of Tsar, but no body else seems to even give a look to it on the shelf.
    There is no Creed, Geir, A men or things like that in China at all.
    What a pitty to a junkie like me.

I was looking for Lagerfeld man last Nov in Hongkong, but I couldn't spot it. And I remember that I didn't see anything like Tsar or Creed in Hongkong. Stores like Sasa even had no idea of Lagerfeld or Creed.

Ps. Sasa is a very famous chain store system in Hongkong, and most Hongkong people like to buy scents and cosmetics there at a more reasonable price and for a larger variety.
    Beijing is nothing even to compare with Hongkong, you will be amazed of how narrow the selection here if you are here one day.

....New Tsar...

Then tonight I sprayed some vintage. What a disgrace, they removed everything that smells expensive. I hadn't used my old/vintage Tsar in a while and I could smell even from the nozzle, the sharp animal aromatic animal, right from the bottle - conversely, I had just used my bottle of new 'Tsar', and couldn't detect a thing from the sprayer. Sad.. If you see old Tsar, SNATCH IT! The compliments I get from the original, rampant, plus, its great to wear. A truely amazing fragrance.
    How old is your v'tage bottle? The differnece you detect may be the natural ascention of the mid- and basenotes that happens with older bottles of fragrance.

There is no Nose....

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

ok all this talk has got me curious, because I've got a new bottle of tsar that I picked up for like 5$ off another basenoter and I really dont like the stuff at alll... it smells like a generic, late 70's early 80's mens cologne. maybe I just dont get it becaues im young... I haven't used the bottle for months now since I got it so so I am going to go spray some on myself again tonight after I post this and try and figure it out. I will come with my conclusions tommorow

Don't worry you'll never get it...YOU'RE TOO YOUNG!

Get ahold of things, czesc, you won't understand frag compositions until you understand...FRAG COMPOSITIONS!

Question for you is would you eat caviar unless it was Beluga???

Guerlain made a scent in commemoration of it...do try it when you're along the Champs-Elysees!

Or perhaps you know better because you wear Van Cleef earringS!???

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

czesc
    Hi,
    Awaiting to seeing your conclusion man, hope you would do a change of your opinion.
    Tsar is not as old as what you depicted, and time is not a problem for a good thing. For example, Creed products, do you think those classic items are old fassioned?

Also, personal tastes are always changing, not that stable. So, give yourself more time and chance to try this out.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

To me, Tsar is a light and woodsy scent, good for summer here in Bj.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

czesc
    Hi,
    Awaiting to seeing your conclusion man, hope you would do a change of your opinion.
    Tsar is not as old as what you depicted, and time is not a problem for a good thing. For example, Creed products, do you think those classic items are old fassioned?

Also, personal tastes are always changing, not that stable. So, give yourself more time and chance to try this out.

Hope you enjoy yourself.

To me, Tsar is a light and woodsy scent, good for summer here in Bj.
    well its the next day and im back! lol, unfortunatley I have not changed my mind about Tsar, not that I dont think it is reasonably well put together, I just think it immediatley brings about images of "old man cologne" for me and would for most people in my age group. all of my friends whom I have shown it to in the past said something to that effect. I sniffed it this time both on myself and on a smelling strip just to make double-sure. its a good cologne objectively speaking, dont get me wrong - just not for me. one last possibility, perhaps my bottle has gone bad? I did purchase it off another basenoter so I do not know how long he had it either, and it does faintly ressemble the smell of an Eau Sauvage that I had that went bad after many years... but I am 80% sure this is not the case. I've got my eyes on a few of the vintage bottles on ebay, perhaps I will buy one if it is cheap enough so I can compare.

to answer your question edulis, usually I am not fond of old fashioned colognes such as ysl pour homme, chanel pour monsieur, aramis and tsar, I am only 23 years old and I guess the concepts are just lost on me, however since you mentioned creed, there are many creeds which I am very fond of, including one which I believe was made in the 1800's. Royal English Leather is one of my favourite fragrances if not my #1 favourite. I also really like Erolfa which some people may consider to be in the vein of "old man colognes" as well. I agree, but I believe this is one of the few in that group that I can wear.

My tastes probably will change overtime, I have found they have changed with some fragrances already, so I will put my bottle of tsar back in storage and maybe check back with it in another 2-3 years

Hey,
    Good to read your conclusion.
    I got Tsar, and I got other scents for 365 days of a year, and I believe that whatever you use, just make yourself happy.
    No matter how much you get from Tsar, doesnot matter at all. Stick to what you like better.
    Also, I don't suggest buying another Vintage just for trial.
    Also, I found no assoiciation between Eau Savage and Tsar, they are totally different. Maybe Tsar is compared to Drakkar Noir in some aspects, still got a huge distance.

Wish you fun.