Code of Conduct

Default Fou d'Absinthe: first impressions...

Today I received a 50 ml bottle of this in the mail, and excitedly opened the box, spritzed a couple of times on the arm and chest. It is a decidedly masculine scent, I think, with an icy blast at the beginning which quickly mellows to a sweet spiciness. After a few hours, the forest-y note (pine) kicks in, and from there fades to a pleasant finish. I like this scent very much, and can see how it could become someone's signature scent - it's that distinctive. It seems to be somewhat of a radical departure from most of L'Artisan's scents, in that there is nothing terribly discreet about it at all. It's an up-front, bold fragrance, and should be applied with a light touch. Admittedly, it's very hot right now, so it would probably be quite different in the cooler months. The absinthe note upon which this fragrance is based is expertly woven throughout the composition, and is more prominent at the beginning. This scent begs for the right person to pull it off - I just hope I can!

Default Re: Fou d'Absinthe: first impressions...

^Nice little review there.^

To me it came as a huge suprise that this was actually very traditional stuff. Classical Fougere scent, like an updated Azzaro PH or something like that...Very green and herbal with sappy wood notes.
    IMO this scent could have been released already years ago - there`s nothing modern or new to this scent. Very masculine blend, fairly long-lasting.

As usual, L`Artisan made a great decision of name (Fou d`Absinthe is one of the best names ever for fragrance).

I tried it 2 or 3 times over the last month and to my surprise, it left me totally cold. I love lots of other frags from l'Artisan Parfumeur: Tea For Two, Timbuktu, Dzing!, Méchant Loup, l'Eau de l'Artisan etc. But this one smells too synthetic, although that might just be the boozy note.

Here's my review, which I have yet to upload into the database:

Fou d’Absinth
    Heavily louched and with a generous cube of sugar on the straining spoon, L’Artisan’s rendering of this legendary elixir is a much more approachable concoction than its spirituous namesake. Absinth’s infamous bitter anise bite has been considerably tempered in Fou d’Absinthe, yielding a result which I find to be somewhat sweet, as green fragrances go. At the top there is a very brief alcoholic note, but one which reminds me more of rich eggnog than the brittle smack of Absinth. It has a pronounced herbal body throughout which, in keeping with the house’s reputation, smells unimpeachably natural. There are traces of spices which I think my nose found in Egoiste. FdA’s much advertised hot/cold sensation, presumably a kind of homage to the burn of a good stiff swig, recalls rather the cold/hot feeling of rinsing off shaving foam and splashing on aftershave. I find something strongly reminiscent of shaving in it (there’s a certain kinship with YSL’s Rive Gauche here). That’s actually the dominant scent-image I get from this particular L’Artisan, making FdA the most masculine but also most conventional fragrance I know of from this house. Rather than seeming illicit or hallucinogenic, FdA’s cocktail of cool herbs and warm spice struck me as rather well-behaved and gentlemanly. Quite “sober” in fact. It’s closer to the image of the prodigious, aspirational petit-bourgeois Jules Cheret than to the indulgent fallen-aristocrat/gonzo bohemian persona of Toulouse-Lautrec (If it’s the seedy decadence of Moulin Rouge you’re after, see rather L’Artisan’s Dzing!).

To be sure, FdA is an excellent fragrance - with the best projection I have found among L’Artisans- and were it released by any other house, I’d call it an unqualified triumph. It certainly is intoxicating – devastatingly handsome, remarkably refined and positively humming with quality- but just not in the way I was expecting. Given L’Artisan’s unique reputation for mind-bendingly evocative scents that play not just upon the nose but also the imagination and memory, I was hoping their interpretation of the Green Fairy would have been just a bit more psychoactive. “Crazy for Absinthe” is a bit too respectable; I wanted more visuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Here's my review, which I have yet to upload into the database:

Fou d’Absinth
    Heavily louched and with a generous cube of sugar on the straining spoon, L’Artisan’s rendering of this legendary elixir is a much more approachable concoction than its spirituous namesake. Absinth’s infamous bitter anise bite has been considerably tempered in Fou d’Absinthe, yielding a result which I find to be somewhat sweet, as green fragrances go. At the top there is a very brief alcoholic note, but one which reminds me more of rich eggnog than the brittle smack of Absinth. It has a pronounced herbal body throughout which, in keeping with the house’s reputation, smells unimpeachably natural. There are traces of spices which I think my nose found in Egoiste. FdA’s much advertised hot/cold sensation, presumably a kind of homage to the burn of a good stiff swig, recalls rather the cold/hot feeling of rinsing off shaving foam and splashing on aftershave. I find something strongly reminiscent of shaving in it (there’s a certain kinship with YSL’s Rive Gauche here). That’s actually the dominant scent-image I get from this particular L’Artisan, making FdA the most masculine but also most conventional fragrance I know of from this house. Rather than seeming illicit or hallucinogenic, FdA’s cocktail of cool herbs and warm spice struck me as rather well-behaved and gentlemanly. Quite “sober” in fact. It’s closer to the image of the prodigious, aspirational petit-bourgeois Jules Cheret than to the indulgent fallen-aristocrat/gonzo bohemian persona of Toulouse-Lautrec (If it’s the seedy decadence of Moulin Rouge you’re after, see rather L’Artisan’s Dzing!).

To be sure, FdA is an excellent fragrance - with the best projection I have found among L’Artisans- and were it released by any other house, I’d call it an unqualified triumph. It certainly is intoxicating – devastatingly handsome, remarkably refined and positively humming with quality- but just not in the way I was expecting. Given L’Artisan’s unique reputation for mind-bendingly evocative scents that play not just upon the nose but also the imagination and memory, I was hoping their interpretation of the Green Fairy would have been just a bit more psychoactive. “Crazy for Absinthe” is a bit too respectable; I wanted more visuals.
    Very nice review. I agree with much of this. I too found it a bit safer and more ordinary than I was expecting. I'd say it's one of the most masculine, if not the most masculine (in the traditional sense) of the L'Artisans. Maybe some of the older ones are in the same manliness ballpark - e.g., Navegar, L'Eau du Caporal. I didn't get THAT much sillage, but it is L'A, so compared to Mechant Loup, Dzing, Patchouli Patch, VdR...I guess it does have a good bit (though it's not there with L'Eau d'Navigateur for sillage). Longevity, as usual, was my main complaint. This one was gone way too soon.

I also wasn't sure where or when I would wear this. It felt melancholic to me, but without the avant-garde weirdness of a Noir Epices, which makes that one kind of fun to wear when I'm in an "I don't give a crap" mood. Fou also had a sterile quality that I found off-putting. I guess in the end, Fou d'Absinthe just left me cold.