Code of Conduct

Default Hanae Mori - Need more like it!

Howdy all,

I got a decant of HM a few weeks back and man do I love this stuff. It is definitely going to be one of the mainstays of my summertime fair. I am still lacking for a backup scent or two, however, to compliment and use as a change of pace. The biggest problem is that the lighter, fresher, citrusy scents lack staying power on me. The only one, aside from HM, that I've tried and gotten good longevity from was Creed's Imperial Millisime (sp). Rive Gauche has ok lasting time.

So I did a cross reference on Sephora for other fragrances that fit in the same category as HM. A couple caught my eye, so any experiences with the following?

Fresh Canabis Sental
    Zirh Corduroy
    Vera Wang
    Jean Paul Gaultier

Suggest others if you would, but please include a description of the scents within. I don't someone to write "Varvatos", which I already love and adore, and not tell me what to expect out of it.

Default Re: Hanae Mori - Need more like it!

I like HM too but... Ok, to be honest with you, HM smells like woman's perfume to me. I gave my sampler to my sister, and it smells just right on her. Also, one of my lady friends wears it too. I love the scent though.

But, if you don't want to check out the womens section, I'd go for Vera Wang. I love that stuff. But it's pretty short lived. You will be reapplying this all day. Plus, when I first got Vera Wang, I thought it smelled womanly, Like HM.

JPG lasts forever, but it smells really cloying to me. No one I know likes it, and I think the heat would make it worse. If you want that one, pick up some perry ellis 360 white at tj maxx or marshels for like 10 bucks. smells exacly the same.

They say Sean Jean's Unforgivable is a Imperial Millisime clone.

Oh, well. Good luck.

24, San Francisco, California USA

i love love love vera wang! nicolastutor is right that the longevity is poor, but it's a wonderful scent nevertheless.

I absolutely agree with nicolastutor, HM smells too feminine (must be the jasmine note)

I would suggest you try L'instant Guerlain for men (it is in the same vein as HM)

and just the other day I tried a scent called Cologne by Ferre (bergamotto marino) man this stuff smelled awesome, and it is unisex (a man can pull this off really)!!!

and it was 50% off (17 50 ml), the one who wrote the review put it perfect - here's the link
    http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...6/1824738.html

Quote Originally Posted by perfectscent
    I absolutely agree with nicolastutor, HM smells too feminine (must be the jasmine note)

I would suggest you try L'instant Guerlain for men (it is in the same vein as HM)

and just the other day I tried a scent called Cologne by Ferre (bergamotto marino) man this stuff smelled awesome, and it is unisex (a man can pull this off really)!!!

and it was 50% off (17 50 ml), some lady who wrote the review put it perfect - here's the link

http://nowsmellthis.blogharbor.com/b...6/1824738.html
    I will agree that L'instant is in the same vein. I tried this for the first time today and it shares some similarities with HM. However L'instant for me lasted about a half hour. I would suggest Dior Homme which is also similar in a way and the longevity is extra long!

Dior Homme is a good alternative to HM. They're both kind of similar in some ways, yet very different in the end. HM has a bitter orange/Grand Marnier quality, while Dior Homme has sage and lavender. They both contain alot of iris I think.

HM is one of my all time faves. I bought Dior Homme because it's in the same vein, but very original as well.

I kind of wish Hanae Mori would release a fresh summer version.

The Ferre review on "Now Smell This" wasn't written by a woman but by our very own Marlen (definitely a guy!). I think if it's really marked down, I am going to get a bottle!

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    The Ferre review on "Now Smell This" wasn't written by a woman but by our very own Marlen (definitely a guy!). *I think if it's really marked down, I am going to get a bottle!

oops, my bad!

(correction made)

Dior Homme is no more masculine than HM. I like their recommedation of Cannabis Santal. It is news to me that they carry that. If I were you I would find a source other than Sephora, because Sephora has extremely limited selection and I doubt their automated cross-reference system is very helpful. Also, if you're looking for a backup or changeup, you might want something that is different than HM not similar. Check out some of the recommendations for good summer scents, there have been a lot of those threads floating around lately. Other than that. I would like to give you props for having the balls to pull off HM in the summer time. I think that would be pretty tough. I do it with A*Men though, so I guess we're both soldiers.

Of those you mentioned, I'd get Fresh Cannabis Santal. I have it on today and it's still 'there' since 7 AM. I'm not familiar with HM and I see in the Directory that there are three HMs :-??

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

Try Rochas Man. Almost an exact copy of HM except they throw in coffee note that's really nice. Cheaper than HM and the bottle doubles as a sex toy (for women that is)!

V for Valentino smells a lot like HM too though I haven't bought it yet.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I agree with the recommendations of Dior Homme. If price isn't an issue, then may I also suggest Musc Ravageur. They're all along the same lines as HM.

BTW, have you tried HM EDP? I much prefer it to the EDT.

I'm pretty suprised to see HM being compared to Dior Homme. I find HM to be very sweet, although not as sickeningly sweet at A*Man, and Dior Homme to have a more masculine bent to it. Definately not sweet and more appropriate for an everyday upscale scent.