Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 52 of 52
  1. #1

    Default radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    thats right... theres already a bylaw being formulated in my nation's capital (ottawa, canada) to ban fragrance use (perfume, cologne, fabric softeners/deodorant YES DEODORANT) in public places such as office buildings, gvt buildings, public transit and restaurants/nightclubs/theatres you name it. So far it is not decided whether it will be implemented but they have decided to implement a 3 year public education problem on the ills of scented products. After this 3 year programme they will asses whether they need to implement the by law, and I really dont see the public voluntarily walking around smelling like farm animals over the next three years so pretty much its just a matter of time before my wardrobe becomes illegal. actually, I blame this on those lower class fat ladies and welfare assisted stay at home moms who wear floral patterns and have weird haircuts and walk around malls smelling like 10 pounds of fabric softener as 16 litres of "body mist" at a time while their kids turn schoolbuses aroudn the nation into virtual drycleaning machines. maybe we should just make those kind of people illegal.

  2. #2

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    thats right... theres already a bylaw being formulated in my nation's capital (ottawa, canada) to ban fragrance use (perfume, cologne, fabric softeners/deodorant YES DEODORANT) in public places such as office buildings, gvt buildings, public transit and restaurants/nightclubs/theatres you name it. So far it is not decided whether it will be implemented but they have decided to implement a 3 year public education problem on the ills of scented products. After this 3 year programme they will asses whether they need to implement the by law, and I really dont see the public voluntarily walking around smelling like farm animals over the next three years so pretty much its just a matter of time before my wardrobe becomes illegal. actually, I blame this on those lower class fat ladies and welfare assisted stay at home moms who wear floral patterns and have weird haircuts and walk around malls smelling like 10 pounds of fabric softener as 16 litres of "body mist" at a time while their kids turn schoolbuses aroudn the nation into virtual drycleaning machines. maybe we should just make those kind of people illegal.
    Lol, so Canada's about to become the smelliest country, EH ? :P
    -

  3. #3

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    You can't be serious.

  4. #4

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    You can't be serious.
    im completley serious, unfortunatley its an article in a physical newspaper so I cant link it for you... but im serious. there's already alot of "no fragrance zone" signs around places here...

  5. #5

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=Motecuzoma link=1149882044/0#2 date=1149884036]You can't be serious.
    im completley serious, unfortunatley its an article in a physical newspaper so I cant link it for you... but im serious. there's already alot of "no fragrance zone" signs around places here...[/quote]

    I've been looking for places to expatriate myself to, and it looks like Canada just took itself off my list. So sad...


    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben


    My Wardrobe

  6. #6

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    [quote author=czesc link=1149882044/0#3 date=1149888586][quote author=Motecuzoma link=1149882044/0#2 date=1149884036]You can't be serious.
    im completley serious, unfortunatley its an article in a physical newspaper so I cant link it for you... but im serious. there's already alot of "no fragrance zone" signs around places here...[/quote]

    I've been looking for places to expatriate myself to, and it looks like Canada just took itself off my list. So sad...


    -ben[/quote]

    im sorry I should really clarify this before the misunderstanding goes any further, the proposed law is a bylaw, which up here means a city law, it is not a federal law for the entire country... but... i fear it will just start the slippery slope

  7. #7

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    "the ills of scented products"??? how do they define this?

  8. #8

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=greyhueofdoubt link=1149882044/0#4 date=1149888886][quote author=czesc link=1149882044/0#3 date=1149888586][quote author=Motecuzoma link=1149882044/0#2 date=1149884036]You can't be serious.
    im completley serious, unfortunatley its an article in a physical newspaper so I cant link it for you... but im serious. there's already alot of "no fragrance zone" signs around places here...[/quote]

    I've been looking for places to expatriate myself to, and it looks like Canada just took itself off my list. So sad...


    -ben[/quote]

    im sorry I should really clarify this before the misunderstanding goes any further, the proposed law is a bylaw, which up here means a city law, it is not a federal law for the entire country... but... i fear it will just start the slippery slope[/quote]

    A slippery slope indeed...
    I guess there are two sides to this issue. On the one hand, I tend to dislike laws that deny privileges to people (essentially making up a new crime where there wasn't one before). On the other hand, this is an example of democratic freedom/public opinion/community action actually doing something. I guess I shouldn't be so offended just because the law happens to affect me.
    When my city passed smoking ordinances a few years ago, there were even protests. People thought that the world was coming to an end. In the long run, I think that the ordinance has had a positive effect on the city. However, I get a bad feeling when I think about all the OTHER little ordinances that special interest groups would like to see... There are people here who would like to ban the gay pride parade. There are people who would ban foreigners from the city. There are people who would ban 'offensive' radio stations. Somewhere in the mix of interests, there must be a balance. City councils have done some pretty stupid things in the past, and I don't put 100% of my trust in them. In situations like this, though, they might represent a voice of reason (unless they are being lobbied).

    As for the issue itself-
    I don't like crying children. I don't like loud car speakers. I don't like people setting off fireworks after midnight. I don't like tacky billboards. I don't like loud commercials. I don't like SUVs. I don't like seagulls. I don't like the smell of fried food that wafts out of fast food joints. I don't like football. I don't like junk food. I don't like cheap beer. I don't like barking dogs. I don't like Best Buy. I don't like the right-leaning free circular that gets sent to me all the time. I don't like snotty cashiers. I don't like long lines. I don't like people who chew gum loudly. I don't like frivolous homework assignments. I don't like the humidity. I don't like red traffic lights. I don't like safety pins as fashion accessories.

    But I would never, EVER even DREAM of passing laws/ordinances to protect me from these petty little distractions. Grin and bear it. Aside from serious and proven negative health effects (smoking), something ought not be banned because it bugs a few people. And I daresay that a crying child in a restaurant raises my blood pressure more than a few cigarettes would.

    That is all
    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben


    My Wardrobe

  9. #9

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by pas2iche
    "the ills of scented products"??? *how do they define this?
    the article states that alot of aromachemicals can be detrimental to the health of people around them, from allergic reactions, to lowering immune response to even inducing anaphalactic shock. apparently this has been proven which I actually don't contest (anything on this earth could possibly cause any of those reactions)... but like I said before I think they key is in moderation, I actually do become ill when I walk past a crowd of cheap body mist fanatics.

  10. #10

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    You can't be serious.
    Rediculous people trying to deny others of the fun parts of life. Who can enjoy life without being able to smell it?...

  11. #11

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    So they will ban deodorants too? Oh, I don't know where it's going - I'd rather smell a deodorant, even a cheap one, than someone's "natural" armpit aroma!

    Not cool.

  12. #12

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    I don't know that you are blaming the correct group of women.

    Some Feminists often dislike scents - sign of their wanting to be subservient to men.

    Radical Feminists really dislike them.

    Not very good looking Feminists HATE them - funny how they seem to get high powered government administation jobs everywhere. They figure that since they have that "I just got out of the bed and sucked a lemon" look, everyone else should have it to. It's so unfair that other less enlightened women should be happy and satisfied, whereas they, despite all their government (not business) success feel so empty.

    What I can't fathom is the ball-less, lefty liberal males who pander to their whims.
    Renato
    (Perhaps I'm extrapolating too much from what I've observed down here over the years.)


  13. #13

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I don't know that you are blaming the correct group of women.

    Some Feminists often dislike scents - sign of their wanting to be subservient to men.

    Radical Feminists really dislike them.

    Not very good looking Feminists HATE them - funny how they seem to get high powered government administation jobs everywhere. They figure that since they have that "I just got out of the bed and sucked a lemon" look, everyone else should have it to. It's so unfair that other less enlightened women should be happy and satisfied, whereas they, despite all their government (not business) success feel so empty.

    What I can't fathom is the ball-less, lefty liberal males who pander to their whims.
    Renato
    (Perhaps I'm extrapolating too much from what I've observed down here over the years.)
    how does low class body spray drenched floral pattern 80's haircut ladies possibly = feminists ?

  14. #14

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    how does low class body spray drenched floral pattern 80's haircut ladies possibly = feminists ?
    That's why you're blaming the wrong group of women.

    That group you cite have next to no power to bring about a change like this - even if they wanted to - which they obviously wouldn't.

    You've mistakenly assumed that because you don't like what they're wearing, that this is the motivation for the ban. I suggest this is far too simplistic a notion, and provided you with one of the usual culprit groups for such a move (and their motivation), though not being familiar with your town, I could well be wrong.
    Renato

  15. #15

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    there are other problems in our world/country/state/city and finally in ourselves to find solutions and ways to attend them.. and some radical groups thinking in this */*/%$(&&$$"$$%$"!% *


    if nobody cant stop that absurd war in Irak, try to ban scents its a joke * *;D *

  16. #16

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    I am totally bothered with this absurdity...might as well pass a law saying that Italian restaurants are not allowed to make cheese and garlic reek in their cooking!

    I'm really perturbed by the minority of people with odor sensitivity. They are pressing the fact that this is a disability and prevents their ability to function.

    The ironic thing with their disability is that they're still able to walk the streets despite the smoke and pollution, and still attend a barbecue without adverse effects.

    Should I find some bottled pollution and charred meat odors to wear?

    I've also read that there were some medical findings that those with a nasal sensitivity to odors, while many forms of olfactory stimuli may cause some or little physiological reaction to the person, it is primarily due to the mind's exaggerated response that any, if not all, strong or noticeable scents will make them ill.

    In a nutshell, these people with aversion to smells, are generally reacting from a psychosomatic response.

    But there are those who truly are disabled from this condition, where they aren't even able to make it out of the house without collapsing or without having to heavily drug themselves.

    I also have a problem with those who expect people to comply to some silly regulation because they refuse to take their allergy meds. > > > >
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  17. #17

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=czesc link=1149882044/0#13 date=1149917195]
    how does low class body spray drenched floral pattern 80's haircut ladies possibly = feminists ?
    That's why you're blaming the wrong group of women.

    That group you cite have next to no power to bring about a change like this - even if they wanted to - which they obviously wouldn't.

    You've mistakenly assumed that because you don't like what they're wearing, that this is the motivation for the ban. I suggest this is far too simplistic a notion, and provided you with one of the usual culprit groups for such a move (and their motivation), though not being familiar with your town, I could well be wrong.
    Renato[/quote]

    clearly the group that im blaming wears the most artificial scents... and overuses them... by definition of what they are ie: "low class body spray drenched floral pattern 80's haircut ladies"... and artificial aroma chemicals are apparently the most dangerous and are what is causing the ban on fragrances... i really dont see where you are going with this...

  18. #18

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    It's easy to generalize, I hate to see that. I know around here the people who are pushing for this type of stuff (and who were pusing to ban cigarettes on campus) are the people who actually have adverse reactions to ANY scent (quality or not). I wouldn't support a frag ban, because it just perpetuates the death of common sense and personal responsibility. But when I get a migraine, any scent, even the one that I put on myself that morning, makes me physically ill. I feel bad for people who have that reaction ALL the time. It can't be a pleasant way to go through life. :'(
    24, San Francisco, California USA

  19. #19

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by nicolastutor
    It's easy to generalize, I hate to see that. I know around here the people who are pushing for this type of stuff (and who were pusing to ban cigarettes on campus) are the people who actually have adverse reactions to ANY scent (quality or not). I wouldn't support a frag ban, because it just perpetuates the death of common sense and personal responsibility. But when I get a migraine, any scent, even the one that I put on myself that morning, makes me physically ill. I feel bad for people who have that reaction ALL the time. It can't be a pleasant way to go through life. :'(
    I think people should look for the cause of these sensitivities, which mainly stem from the injesting of chemicals through food preservatives and colourings and otherwise unhealthy lifestyles of (mainly) north americans. Basicly, no matter what any pharmaceutical industry brainwashed western doctor will tell you, the truth is unhealthy lifestyle = larger chance of developping sensitivities (whether they be chemical or food or otherwise), and often these sensitivities are VERY difficult to get rid of (although not impossible, as I myself have succesfully treated and cured some of my chemical sensitivities, yep even to perfume believe it or not!). So instead of just banning whatever we become sensitive to one item after another lets try to stop the cycle by being more healthy... food allergies are cropping up at an extremely excelerated rate lately as well... are we gonna start banning types of foods next? I say we ban food chemicals instead of aroma chemicals, would you rather we (as americans and canadians) go on eating deadly chemicals but not have a molecules floating in the air or ban all airborne aromachems and continue eating gram after gram of toxic waste?

  20. #20

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Someone wants to ban czesc from wearing scents? There is a god.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  21. #21

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    I don't know that you are blaming the correct group of women.

    Some Feminists often dislike scents - sign of their wanting to be subservient to men.

    Radical Feminists really dislike them.

    Not very good looking Feminists HATE them - funny how they seem to get high powered government administation jobs everywhere. They figure that since they have that "I just got out of the bed and sucked a lemon" look, everyone else should have it to. It's so unfair that other less enlightened women should be happy and satisfied, whereas they, despite all their government (not business) success feel so empty.

    What I can't fathom is the ball-less, lefty liberal males who pander to their whims.
    Renato
    (Perhaps I'm extrapolating too much from what I've observed down here over the years.)
    so the real solution is for ottawa to ban ugly women.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

  22. #22

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=Renato link=1149882044/0#14 date=1149919595][quote author=czesc link=1149882044/0#13 date=1149917195]
    how does low class body spray drenched floral pattern 80's haircut ladies possibly = feminists ?
    That's why you're blaming the wrong group of women.

    That group you cite have next to no power to bring about a change like this - even if they wanted to - which they obviously wouldn't.

    You've mistakenly assumed that because you don't like what they're wearing, that this is the motivation for the ban. I suggest this is far too simplistic a notion, and provided you with one of the usual culprit groups for such a move (and their motivation), though not being familiar with your town, I could well be wrong.
    Renato[/quote]

    clearly the group that im blaming wears the most artificial scents... and overuses them... by definition of what they are ie: "low class body spray drenched floral pattern 80's haircut ladies"... and artificial aroma chemicals are apparently the most dangerous and are what is causing the ban on fragrances... i really dont see where you are going with this...[/quote]
    As I said, you are blaming the wrong group.
    You are blaming the victims.
    Usually when one blames somebody it is the perpetrators.
    The notion that a small group wearing something cheap is cause for banning everyone wearing anything, does not follow, unless the perpetrators have another agenda.
    And they have apparently conned you into believing that artificial is bad and natural is good - always a good move this fool, divide and conquer business.
    Renato

  23. #23

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=nicolastutor link=1149882044/15#18 date=1149968381]It's easy to generalize, I hate to see that. I know around here the people who are pushing for this type of stuff (and who were pusing to ban cigarettes on campus) are the people who actually have adverse reactions to ANY scent (quality or not). I wouldn't support a frag ban, because it just perpetuates the death of common sense and personal responsibility. But when I get a migraine, any scent, even the one that I put on myself that morning, makes me physically ill. I feel bad for people who have that reaction ALL the time. It can't be a pleasant way to go through life. :'(
    I think people should look for the cause of these sensitivities, which mainly stem from the injesting of chemicals through food preservatives and colourings and otherwise unhealthy lifestyles of (mainly) north americans. Basicly, no matter what any pharmaceutical industry brainwashed western doctor will tell you, the truth is unhealthy lifestyle = larger chance of developping sensitivities (whether they be chemical or food or otherwise), and often these sensitivities are VERY difficult to get rid of (although not impossible, as I myself have succesfully treated and cured some of my chemical sensitivities, yep even to perfume believe it or not!). So instead of just banning whatever we become sensitive to one item after another lets try to stop the cycle by being more healthy... food allergies are cropping up at an extremely excelerated rate lately as well... are we gonna start banning types of foods next? I say we ban food chemicals instead of aroma chemicals, would you rather we (as americans and canadians) go on eating deadly chemicals but not have a molecules floating in the air or ban all airborne aromachems and continue eating gram after gram of toxic waste?[/quote]


    Yeah your right. I am a big supporter of organic food although that's just cause it tastes better. But I was thinking about this subject after I made my last post, and I think it would be much more effective to crack down on polution, which has caused a big increase in allergies in the US. I came to this conclusion:

    It's cheaper to go after the users (not the industry) of perfume and it pacifies both left and right wingers because big business doesn't suffer, and the environment is more "safe."

    Of course that would be an American perspective, I don't know how left and right people are in Canada.
    24, San Francisco, California USA

  24. #24

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    [quote author=czesc link=1149882044/0#3 date=1149888586][quote author=Motecuzoma link=1149882044/0#2 date=1149884036]You can't be serious.
    im completley serious, unfortunatley its an article in a physical newspaper so I cant link it for you... but im serious. there's already alot of "no fragrance zone" signs around places here...[/quote]

    I've been looking for places to expatriate myself to, and it looks like Canada just took itself off my list. So sad...


    -ben[/quote]

    Ha ... myself as well! There still is Australia though friend. It was always first on my list, although it's immigration laws are quite convoluted and drawn out.

    There truely are many more issues that need to be dealt with before something of this nature. What of car exhaust and every other human pollutants we willfully produce? They're friggin' carcinogens for crying out loud. What's that? Oh, people need their personal transportation? Sure, in many cases I suppose. But instead of dealing with the effect of this olfactory "sensitive" minority, let's first start with the cause. To mention one, as czesc stated in his last post: unhealthy lifestyles. To mention another: degradation of the ozone due to, again, human produced pollutants... where there are virtually NO meaningful laws, by-laws, mandates, and/or sanctions except in favor of corporations and their colossal profit margin. :-X What's the use.

    Just another one of our inane, frivolous political battles we're so famous for.


    Edit: Kind of beat me to it nicolastutor, good points

  25. #25

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Czesc, Just wanted to say, I really enjoy reading your posts and threads. You got a lot of balls writing the stuff you write. But don't ever go to a BN convention, I'm afraid you might get shot endlessly with Kouros.

  26. #26

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    Czesc, Just wanted to say, I really enjoy reading your posts and threads. You got a lot of balls writing the stuff you write. But don't ever go to a BN convention, I'm afraid you might get shot endlessly with Kouros.
    lol! thanks I can't wait till the basenotes convention (if there will ever be one lol) I'd love to go! I guess we won't be able to have it in toronto anymore if these anti scent bylaws manage to infest my neighbouring city as well

  27. #27

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    there is a lot of debate as to whether this sort of "sensitivity" to chemicals even exists.

    I do try to keep my scents at the office discrete, not overpowering since I share an office. Nobody who isn't fairly intimate can smell me: the only people who can smell my cologne is someone who gives me a hug (yes, it's that kind of office). However, if some chucklehead decides that in our office cologne and deoderant are verboten, I am going to douse myself in Kouros and tell them it's my natural, un-deoderised scent.

  28. #28

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by tmp
    there is a lot of debate as to whether this sort of "sensitivity" to chemicals even exists.

    I do try to keep my scents at the office discrete, not overpowering since I share an office. Nobody who isn't fairly intimate can smell me: the only people who can smell my cologne is someone who gives me a hug (yes, it's that kind of office). However, if some chucklehead decides that in our office cologne and deoderant are verboten, I am going to douse myself in Kouros and tell them it's my natural, un-deoderised scent.
    Hmmm...I've been looking for some kind of excuse to wear this at the office, I have the same problem as you at work.
    *********************



    Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

    "Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"


    ~My reviews~

    ~My Wardrobe~



    I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

  29. #29

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=nsamadi link=1149882044/15#25 date=1150007156]Czesc, Just wanted to say, I really enjoy reading your posts and threads. You got a lot of balls writing the stuff you write. But don't ever go to a BN convention, I'm afraid you might get shot endlessly with Kouros.
    lol! thanks I can't wait till the basenotes convention (if there will ever be one lol) I'd love to go! I guess we won't be able to have it in toronto anymore if these anti scent bylaws manage to infest my neighbouring city as well [/quote]

    Czesc, I don't necessarily agree with you, but I respect the fact that you speak your mind and don't shy away. I guess your posts are amusing at times and make this place a little more interesting but try not to go to far.

  30. #30

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by tmp
    there is a lot of debate as to whether this sort of "sensitivity" to chemicals even exists.
    .
    I keep asking myself if this thread is even real. This ''by-law'' issue is almost beyond comprehension. [smiley=lolk.gif]

  31. #31

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    [quote author=tmp link=1149882044/15#27 date=1150008740]there is a lot of debate as to whether this sort of "sensitivity" to chemicals even exists.
    .
    I keep asking myself if this thread is even real. This ''by-law'' issue is almost beyond comprehension. *[smiley=lolk.gif]
    [/quote]

    like I explained earlier, "by-laws" are municipal (city) laws that we have here in canada... i'm sure you have them in the united states as well (or wherever you are from I guess I shouldn't assume that you are from the US)... anyways... here are some basic examples of what a bylaw would be like in the united states...

    im assuming street parking times may differ from city to city even in the same state ?

    are there some states where smoking in bars is permissible in some towns and not others ? for example in NYC i know you can't smoke inside bars and nightclubs anymore but what about rural new york?

    those would be the equivilant of by laws...

  32. #32

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=Motecuzoma link=1149882044/15#29 date=1150025792][quote author=tmp link=1149882044/15#27 date=1150008740]there is a lot of debate as to whether this sort of "sensitivity" to chemicals even exists.
    .
    I keep asking myself if this thread is even real. This ''by-law'' issue is almost beyond comprehension. [smiley=lolk.gif]
    [/quote]

    like I explained earlier, "by-laws" are municipal (city) laws that we have here in canada... i'm sure you have them in the united states as well (or wherever you are from I guess I shouldn't assume that you are from the US)... anyways... here are some basic examples of what a bylaw would be like in the united states...

    im assuming street parking times may differ from city to city even in the same state ?

    are there some states where smoking in bars is permissible in some towns and not others ? for example in NYC i know you can't smoke inside bars and nightclubs anymore but what about rural new york?

    those would be the equivilant of by laws...[/quote]


    Oh, of course, of course. I'm well aware of what a by-law is, it's just the fact that there's some actual political push from something as, in my eyes, inocuous as a banning on fragrance that blows my mind. I just don't want to believe it ... this sort of issue speaks more on society and its so-called principles as opposed to the actual issue itself.

  33. #33

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Motecuzoma
    [quote author=czesc link=1149882044/30#30 date=1150049459][quote author=Motecuzoma link=1149882044/15#29 date=1150025792][quote author=tmp link=1149882044/15#27 date=1150008740]there is a lot of debate as to whether this sort of "sensitivity" to chemicals even exists.
    .
    I keep asking myself if this thread is even real. This ''by-law'' issue is almost beyond comprehension. *[smiley=lolk.gif]
    [/quote]

    like I explained earlier, "by-laws" are municipal (city) laws that we have here in canada... i'm sure you have them in the united states as well (or wherever you are from I guess I shouldn't assume that you are from the US)... anyways... here are some basic examples of what a bylaw would be like in the united states...

    im assuming street parking times may differ from city to city even in the same state ?

    are there some states where smoking in bars is permissible in some towns and not others ? for example in NYC i know you can't smoke inside bars and nightclubs anymore but what about rural new york?

    those would be the equivilant of by laws...[/quote]


    Oh, of course, of course. I'm well aware of what a by-law is, it's just the fact that there's some actual political push from something as, in my eyes, inocuous as a banning on fragrance that blows my mind. I just don't want to believe it ... this sort of issue speaks more on society and its so-called principles as opposed to the actual issue itself.
    [/quote]

    oh its completely insane... but ottawa is kinda known for that kinda thing... just a couple years ago we passed bylaws to make it legal for women to walk around topless in public because men could... not that im complaining

  34. #34

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    ^ Awesome! Come to think of it I think I heard a little something about that. Well, I may now have to re-evaluate the Canadian politicians! haha

  35. #35
    Overcome By Fumes
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    3,374

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Here's a link:

    http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/story/ot-sc...1.html?ref=rss


    You can bet that actual polluters of the air must be laughing their way to the bank.

  36. #36

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Here's a link:

    http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/story/ot-sc...1.html?ref=rss


    You can bet that actual polluters of the air must be laughing their way to the bank.
    Lot's of good links in that article, particularly the one about where the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating whether a student committed assault by wearing too much hair gel and deodorant to school - which strikes me as kind of funny - my ladyfriend likes watching Discovery Channel's Crime Stories - and most of them are about the all too numerous serial killers in Canada. I suppose it's good to get some scores on the board.

    I wonder if the RCMP would launch an investigation with equal vigour if someone complained about what the Queen or Prince Charles were wearing when they come to town?

    The really, really dumb thing in those links is the claim that all those allergies and asthma sensitivities are the result of exposure to artificial chemicals. I live in what is reputed to be the hay fever capital of the world - we spend a small fortune on anti hayfever and asthma medication - most of which arises from the natural pollens of the very natural native plants.
    Renato


  37. #37

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=docluv45 link=1149882044/30#34 date=1150091214]Here's a link:

    http://www.cbc.ca/ottawa/story/ot-sc...1.html?ref=rss


    You can bet that actual polluters of the air must be laughing their way to the bank.
    Lot's of good links in that article, particularly the one about the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are investigating whether a student committed assault by wearing too much hair gel and deodorant to school - which strikes me as kind of funny - my ladyfriend likes watching Discovery Channel's Crime Stories - and most of them are about serial killers in Canada.

    The really, really dumb thing in those links is the claim that all those allergies and asthma sensitivities are the result of exposure to artificial chemicals. I live in what is reputed to be the hay fever capital of the world - we spend a small fortune on anti hayfever and asthma medication - most of which arises from the natural pollens of the very natural native plants.
    Renato

    [/quote]

    well you're just proving their point then really... overexposure to anything (in your case plant pollens) in their case artificial chems floating around from too much fragrance use creates allergies/sensitivities...

  38. #38

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    OMG - and look at this link about the student who put on too much Aqua Velva http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/view...s_smells000419


  39. #39

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    well you're just proving their point then really... overexposure to anything (in your case plant pollens) in their case artificial chems floating around from too much fragrance use creates allergies/sensitivities...
    Hardly. Any exposure causes the reaction. 99% of hay fever is caused by the natural environment where I live.
    The notion that artificial is bad, natural is good, just doesn't hold water.
    Renato

  40. #40

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=czesc link=1149882044/30#36 date=1150136189]
    well you're just proving their point then really... overexposure to anything (in your case plant pollens) in their case artificial chems floating around from too much fragrance use creates allergies/sensitivities...
    Hardly. Any exposure causes the reaction. 99% of hay fever is caused by the natural environment where I live.
    The notion that artificial is bad, natural is good, just doesn't hold water.
    Renato[/quote]

    your drawing assumptions from nowhere because nowhere are they saying that "natural is good", theyre simply saying that artificial is bad. the issue is not whether fragrances cause sensitivities or not, thats been proven already. The issue is do we stop the entire population from wearing them because they affect such and such percentage of people.

  41. #41

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    My mom is very allergic to cats. If a cat owner walks into the room, my mom will get stuffed up and teary almost immediately (and without prior knowledge that the person owned a cat).

    Such and such a percentage of people are like my mom. Can we ban cats?

    I'm serious. A cat, while it is a living creature, is in the end mostly a luxury we choose to own. A cat is no more necessary to a good life than perfume or wine or red cars.

    I pose this as a rhetorical question, not to belittle cat owners.

    -ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben


    My Wardrobe

  42. #42

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    [quote author=Renato link=1149882044/30#38 date=1150137165][quote author=czesc link=1149882044/30#36 date=1150136189]
    well you're just proving their point then really... overexposure to anything (in your case plant pollens) in their case artificial chems floating around from too much fragrance use creates allergies/sensitivities...
    Hardly. Any exposure causes the reaction. 99% of hay fever is caused by the natural environment where I live.
    The notion that artificial is bad, natural is good, just doesn't hold water.
    Renato[/quote]

    your drawing assumptions from nowhere because nowhere are they saying that "natural is good", theyre simply saying that artificial is bad. the issue is not whether fragrances cause sensitivities or not, thats been proven already. The issue is do we stop the entire population from wearing them because they affect such and such percentage of people.[/quote]
    The article's sub link at
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/nationa...ent000620.html

    states "But that's not the way Betty Bridges sees it. She's a nurse from Virginia who suffers from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) and worries about the chemicals used to make scented products. She says the ingredients are no longer natural, but are made with carcinogens and irritants. "

    Where exactly do you see my "drawing assumptions from nowhere"?
    Renato

  43. #43

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=czesc link=1149882044/30#39 date=1150139756][quote author=Renato link=1149882044/30#38 date=1150137165][quote author=czesc link=1149882044/30#36 date=1150136189]
    well you're just proving their point then really... overexposure to anything (in your case plant pollens) in their case artificial chems floating around from too much fragrance use creates allergies/sensitivities...
    Hardly. Any exposure causes the reaction. 99% of hay fever is caused by the natural environment where I live.
    The notion that artificial is bad, natural is good, just doesn't hold water.
    Renato[/quote]

    your drawing assumptions from nowhere because nowhere are they saying that "natural is good", theyre simply saying that artificial is bad. the issue is not whether fragrances cause sensitivities or not, thats been proven already. The issue is do we stop the entire population from wearing them because they affect such and such percentage of people.[/quote]
    The article's sub link at
    http://www.cbc.ca/story/news/nationa...ent000620.html

    states "But that's not the way Betty Bridges sees it. She's a nurse from Virginia who suffers from Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) and worries about the chemicals used to make scented products. She says the ingredients are no longer natural, but are made with carcinogens and irritants. "

    Where exactly do you see my "drawing assumptions from nowhere"?
    Renato[/quote]

    what the heck does one nurse from virginia opinion in a Halifax newspaper story have to do with a municipal debate in ottawa.... you're not even linking the right story anyways. BUT what that nurse did happen to be talking about was that some of the new synthetic chems get absorbed by the skin and are stored in fat tissue and breastmilk... so I hope everyone pardons the bad joke here: but that does in fact seem to "hold water!" ha ha i love myself. anyways, you've been attacking my thread since the beginning by making no sense whatsoever.

  44. #44

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc
    ha ha i love myself. anyways, you've been attacking my thread since the beginning by making no sense whatsoever.
    this constant pointless antagonism is getting really tiresome. *if you insist on conducting yourself in this manner, i suggest you take it to pm. *

  45. #45

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents


  46. #46

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    yea I actually just noticed and read that after posting my long rant, sorry about that. I sent you a pm of it instead

  47. #47

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Things like this could only happen west of the Outaouais river.. I thought the language laws were bad. Does anyone know if this has something to do with all the Conservatives who recently moved into Ottawa trying to pull a Bush and distract us from some large-scale invasion by forcing us to debate perfume bans instead?

    What ever happened to the the mentality of the government having "no place in the bedrooms of the Nation"? I guess there is an upside... If we're legislating perfume we must not have any real problems, and we should be thankful for that.

  48. #48

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Giordano
    Things like this could only happen west of the Outaouais river.. I thought the language laws were bad. Does anyone know if this has something to do with all the Conservatives who recently moved into Ottawa trying to pull a Bush and distract us from some large-scale invasion by forcing us to debate perfume bans instead?
    Although legislation of perfumes, a political issue of sorts, is this thread's subject, further expansion of the discussion to broader political themes conflicts with Basenotes rules.

    #9: Avoid hot topics
    Posts/signatures that involve politics are expressly forbidden on this board.

    http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/art...ame=forumrules
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

  49. #49

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Giordano
    Things like this could only happen west of the Outaouais river.. I thought the language laws were bad. Does anyone know if this has something to do with all the Conservatives who recently moved into Ottawa trying to pull a Bush and distract us from some large-scale invasion by forcing us to debate perfume bans instead?

    What ever happened to the the mentality of the government having "no place in the bedrooms of the Nation"? I guess there is an upside... If we're legislating perfume we must not have any real problems, and we should be thankful for that.
    once again, you have to understand that fragrances would not be outlawed for "personal" "bedroom" use. Only in public places such as office buildings or pub. transit or restaurants etc...



  50. #50

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by czesc

    what the heck does one nurse from virginia opinion in a Halifax newspaper story have to do with a municipal debate in ottawa.... you're not even linking the right story anyways. BUT what that nurse did happen to be talking about was that some of the new synthetic chems get absorbed by the skin and are stored in fat tissue and breastmilk... so I hope everyone pardons the bad joke here: but that does in fact seem to "hold water!" ha ha i love myself. anyways, you've been attacking my thread since the beginning by making no sense whatsoever.
    Hmmm - this is interesting.
    Exactly where have I been attacking your thread?
    If you have some prejudice or antagonism towards me - and you don't want me on your threads, even when I'm at pains to agree with your basic propostion - feel free to express it.
    But kindly don't state that I'm attacking your thread, when plainly I've been supporting it all the way through.

    You claim I draw assumptions about natural vs synthetic from nowhere. I point out and paste where I got it from - in a report citing a "victim" and the fragrance industry group. You then claim that it has nothing to do with the debate in Ottawa. So if the content of that debate has no relevance to Ottawa - WHY are they trying to ban it in Ottawa - what is their stated premise other than chemical sensitivities?

    Have they REALLY and actually stated a premise somewhere that the city of Ottawa doesn't like lower class fat ladies and welfare assisted stay at home moms who wear floral patterns and have weird haircuts and walk around malls smelling like 10 pounds of fabric softener as 16 litres of "body mist" at a time, and that this is the reason they want to ban ALL fragrances?

    Please enlighten me, preferrably with a link to the latter premise.
    Renato

  51. #51

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=czesc link=1149882044/30#42 date=1150155463]

    what the heck does one nurse from virginia opinion in a Halifax newspaper story have to do with a municipal debate in ottawa.... you're not even linking the right story anyways. BUT what that nurse did happen to be talking about was that some of the new synthetic chems get absorbed by the skin and are stored in fat tissue and breastmilk... so I hope everyone pardons the bad joke here: but that does in fact seem to "hold water!" ha ha i love myself. anyways, you've been attacking my thread since the beginning by making no sense whatsoever.
    Hmmm - this is interesting.
    Exactly where have I been attacking your thread?
    If you have some prejudice or antagonism towards me - and you don't want me on your threads, even when I'm at pains to agree with your basic propostion - feel free to express it.
    But kindly don't state that I'm attacking your thread, when plainly I've been supporting it all the way through.

    You claim I draw assumptions about natural vs synthetic from nowhere. I point out and paste where I got it from - in a report citing a "victim" and the fragrance industry group. You then claim that it has nothing to do with the debate in Ottawa. So if the content of that debate has no relevance to Ottawa - WHY are they trying to ban it in Ottawa - what is their stated premise other than chemical sensitivities?

    Have they *REALLY and actually stated a premise somewhere that the city of Ottawa doesn't like lower class fat ladies and welfare assisted stay at home moms who wear floral patterns and have weird haircuts and walk around malls smelling like 10 pounds of fabric softener as 16 litres of "body mist" at a time, and that this is the reason they want to ban ALL fragrances?

    Please enlighten me, preferrably with a link to the latter premise.
    Renato
    [/quote]

    1. I had no prejudice of you, I don't know you. Your disagreeing with everything I say. I don't mind you being on my threads, in fact, I want you to be on them, just please read what I write first and argue with me on exact points I raise or talk about instead of arguments that can be loosely assosciated with the discussion at hand but dont focus on the core issue or ideas that I have put forward.

    2. No stated premise other than chemical sensitivities, there doesn't have to be another one.

    3. No they haven't and no its not.

    I'm not going to argue with you about any of this anymore, clearly we're not going to get anywhere with it other than getting eachother mad and making another czesc loves to argue thread for no reason that the whole board will hate. lets both drop it. no hard feelings. im extending an olive branch, hope you aren't chemically sensitive to it :P

  52. #52

    Default Re: radical groups in my city trying to ban scents

    i can't believe that the canadians do this . taliban and bin ladin did this in afgastan. should they repeat the try again...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000