Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Pour Homme, Pour Femme, who cares?

So I went a little shopping yesterday and that, besides summer polos, new shoes and pants, implies sniffing something new, something I haven not tried before - after all, what kind of shopping is it without new excitements?

Stepping into Designer Fragrances Outlet I quickly head over to their Pour Homme samples rack and start hunting. Alfred Dunhill? Hm, never tried before, will take all three of them. New Claiborne scent? Will try that as well.

Out of curiosity I move over to the Pour Femme rack. All the usual suspects - several Paris Hilton scents, Curve, Cartier and then... Fujiyama Homme? Since when the staff here cannot read French?

While checking out, I point the obvious discrepancy to the cashier. "Oh, no, a lot of women buy that fragrance," - she vigorously defends the placement - "you would be surprised how many!" Odd, I think, but I am sure she knows the public tastes better. Yet, I keep wondering how a woman would feel applying a fragrance from a bottle that clearly spells "for a man". Even more curiously, how am I, a man, should feel about such occurrence? Confused, I walk out of the store.

It is evening, having dropped off my friend I finally make it home. "Well, let me check out those samples!" - is the thought in my mind as I unpack the bags. I open Dunhill "Desire Blue" and smell the cap. Wow! Quite nice - some honeysuckle, amber, sea notes, light and pleasant, not bad at all! But... hm, so rather... feminine! Yet is is marketed as a male product. The feeling of confusion sets in again.

Perhaps I should be pleased to declare that the era of "roses for ladies, kerosene and horse shit for gentlemen" is over and the general public appears more receptive of fragrance deviation. But somehow the label 'pour homme' lingers at the back of my mind, reminding me of the 'proper usage'. Why bother, I ask? Who is it for? Someone could cannot smell what is in the bottle?

It seems we all want a simplicity, let someone decide for us. We will just read the label and apply accordingly: "Disney - for little Tom; Britney Spears - for you, darling; Kenneth Cole - for me!" - and everyone is happy. Or is it so?

Default Re: Pour Homme, Pour Femme, who cares?

yeah gender marketing is basically to make it feel easier for the meatheads who are intimidated by buying fragrances to begin with. For people who think its poncey even to sniff (And judge for themselves) before buying, I say the easiest thing is simply to bottle everything in the Full Choke flacon. Problem solved. Meatheads come in, come out, no muss, no fuss.

Oh and BTW, my girlfriend wears almost exclusively Pour Hommes.

If the fragrance that is now chanel #5 had "pour homme" tacked on the end of it....it would be considered a classic amounst men. Also, i pick any womens fragrance released in the past ten years and add "pour homme" to it and i bet TONS of men would buy it.
    Awesomeguy

Gender marketing is for the men who are men, and for the women who like it that way.
    Renato

P.S. - Do you know whose quotation I've ripped off?

No, Renato, I don't.

I am glad you're quoting, so I can freely say that I do not think these were words of wisdom!
    A man who is a man knows his position. More than maybe others he also knows what products he needs. I believe, life is the other way around: for weaker and younger persons labels are helpful to mark male territory for them. I use sun protection as most people. The label must simply say: ray protection = 10..25..50, whatever. A label that says 'Niv*** Sun Oil for Men' is no reason for me to buy or leave it. Not even, if 100 muscle studs jump off a cliff for that brand's commercials...
    (don't look for that one, I am just making it up 8-) )
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

A more updated quote:

"Gender marketing is for the men who are sheep, and for the companies who like it that way."

I really don't know and really don't care. If one is discerning he'll find out what he likes. Reasons for Pour Homme, Pour Femme? Marketing, Orwellian social conditioning, etc.

Just move away from the herd. There are no classifications in nature.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."

RW Emerson
    “....A perfume is a message in a bottle, not a smell, and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.” Luca Turin

www.perfumestheguide.com
    doublebasenotes.blogspot.com
    arabia.style.com/author/luca-turin/
    www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/23038/page/2
    www.scenthurdle.com
    www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/43464
    www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/3408
    www.nstperfume.com/the-blogroll
    www.yesterdaysperfume.com
    www.boisdejasmin.com
    www.monsieurguerlain.com
    www.graindemusc.blogspot.com
    www.sorceryofscent.blogspot.com

www.neroprofumo.blogspot.com
    www.yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.com
    tinyurl.com/q2eeycp

tinyurl.com/qd2nthg
    tinyurl.com/pl6ac9b

tinyurl.com/ozc553r
    tinyurl.com/7qwu86p

If the millions of men who wear Le Male knew that Gaultier used to design skirts for men, would they still wear it?

If the millions of men who wear A*Men knew that Mugler designs clothes bordering S&M clothing, would they still wear it?

If the millions of men found out that there was a floral note or ingredients that are used in womens scents, would they still wear it?

I wouldn't recommend at all any man to wear a scent if they're flora-phobic.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    A more updated quote:

"Gender marketing is for the men who are sheep, and for the companies who like it that way."

I'm just glad to have my Rive Gauche Pour Homme--It's exactly what it SHOULD be.

All this is nice but there is no way I want to hear comments like the following:

-"What are you wearing? Oh, my grandmother and Aunt Penelope wore that. What great memories of my childhood visiting them on Christams and eating the great cookies they baked all morning"
    - "My nece that had her sweet 16 party this weekend just discovered perfume and that is the one she wears"

Sorry, but maybe some Pour Femme fragrances are close to unisex or closer to Pour Hommes, but Pour Femme products are made to help women be feminine.

Are women's cosmetics and women's clothes also just marketing and thus suitable for men who are "comfortable with their masculinity" (or some other similiar modern day politically correct jiberish).

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    If the millions of men who wear Le Male knew that Gaultier used to design skirts for men, would they still wear it?

If the millions of men who wear A*Men knew that Mugler designs clothes bordering S&M clothing, would they still wear it?.....
    find out for yourself - http://www.jeanpaul-gaultier.com/ go to 'Le Beau Male'. Don't forget, they just make suggestions. It depends on your own values to either adopt such goals, simply get amused, or be utterly disgusted! 8-)
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I have always been confused about this. The gender marketing is problematic. If a woman is attracted to so called feminine smells and a man wants to attract a woman, why would he wear a so called masculine smell?

If we just wear scents to project an image of ourselves which we like then it's all up for grabs. Some days I feel like being "assertively masculine" and may wear vetiver or woody smells but most days I feel more balanced and prefer something different, often with roses like my bloved R de capucci.

"Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFromManhattan
    Sorry, but maybe some Pour Femme fragrances are close to unisex or closer to Pour Hommes, but Pour Femme products are made to help women be feminine.

Are women's cosmetics and women's clothes also just marketing and thus suitable for men who are "comfortable with their masculinity" (or some other similiar modern day politically correct jiberish).
    I guess that qualifies you for joining my flock. ;D
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by hirch duckfinder
    I have always been confused about this. The gender marketing is problematic. If a woman is attracted to so called feminine smells and a man wants to attract a woman, why would he wear a so called masculine smell?
    I'll explain it to you.

Observe groups of children at play. Most boys love climbing trees, playing with sticks etc (Male=Woods). Most girls love picking and playing with flowers(Female=Flowers).

Observe groups of adults at play. Most men don't chase masculine looking/smelling butch women. Most women don't try too hard with effeminate looking/smelling guys.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    No, Renato, I don't.

I am glad you're quoting, so I can freely say that I do not *think these were words of wisdom! *
    A man who is a man knows his position. More than maybe others he also knows what products he needs. I believe, life is the other way around: for weaker and younger persons labels are helpful to mark male territory for them. I use sun protection as most people. *The label must simply say: ray protection = *10..25..50, whatever. A label that says 'Niv*** Sun Oil for Men' *is no reason for me to buy or leave it. Not even, if 100 muscle studs jump off a cliff for that brand's commercials... *
    (don't look for that one, I am just making it up 8-) * )
    A man who is a man knows that when he buys Nivea moisturiser, it would be better if he bought the For Men version - unless he wishes to be judged as effeminate by numerous members of both sexes.

Oh, he can engage in as many stimulating conversations on the topic as he wishes - but it is irrelevant - numerous men and women will categorise him as being in the "odd/effeminate" category if he smells of the women's Nivea.

The world isn't as you would like it to be, nor as you would wish it to be, nor as you want it to be - it just is the way it is - full of strong gender specific preferences. These preferences aren't laws that have to be followed, but one would be unwise to pretend that they didn't exist, and that there are always zero negative consequences for ignoring them.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    [quote author=narcus link=1149519884/0#4 date=1149749945]No, Renato, I don't.

I am glad you're quoting, so I can freely say that I do not think these were words of wisdom!
    A man who is a man knows his position. More than maybe others he also knows what products he needs. I believe, life is the other way around: for weaker and younger persons labels are helpful to mark male territory for them. I use sun protection as most people. The label must simply say: ray protection = 10..25..50, whatever. A label that says 'Niv*** Sun Oil for Men' is no reason for me to buy or leave it. Not even, if 100 muscle studs jump off a cliff for that brand's commercials...
    (don't look for that one, I am just making it up 8-) )
    A man who is a man knows that when he buys Nivea moisturiser, it would be better if he bought the For Men version - unless he wishes to be judged as effeminate by numerous members of both sexes.

Oh, he can engage in as many stimulating conversations on the topic as he wishes - but it is irrelevant - numerous men and women will categorise him as being in the "odd/effeminate" category if he smells of the women's Nivea.

The world isn't as you would like it to be, nor as you would wish it to be, nor as you want it to be - it just is the way it is - full of strong gender specific preferences. These preferences aren't laws that have to be followed, but one would be unwise to pretend that they didn't exist, and that there are always zero negative consequences for ignoring them.
    Renato
    [/quote]

But my parents generation of men wouldn't buy nivea anything for fear of being classified as girly. It is because of progressive thinking that we can all talk about liking perfume. You may not wish to wear pour femmes, and that's fine but others should be able toi if they want.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

[quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1149519884/0#10 date=1149762688]

Renato[/quote]
    Yes.

There is no one I talk to, and I've brought this up to many people of different ages, that can understand how a man can wear a women's fragrance wihtout thinking that he would be effeminate or gay.

The guys I ask laugh about the people here that do so. The women I ask are the ones who are most adament - they think that the guys who do so have a masculinity problem and I hear comments like "hell no, why would I want to go out with a guy who smells like my sister".

Although I am 100% against wearing women's colognes (or doing anything feminine), I've actually defended the individuals here who do so, trying to tell the people I speak with that due to the passion hobbiests have for their hobbies, they have a different way of thinking than the general public and thus, it's a hobby thing, not a social thing.

[quote author=Renato link=1149519884/0#13 date=1149790094][quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1149519884/0#10 date=1149762688]

Renato[/quote]
    Yes.

There is no one I talk to, and I've brought this up to many people of different ages, that can understand how a man can wear a women's fragrance wihtout thinking that he would be effeminate or gay.

The guys I ask laugh about the people here that do so. The women I ask are the ones who are most adament - they think that the guys who do so have a masculinity problem and I hear comments like "hell no, why would I want to go out with a guy who smells like my sister".

Although I am 100% against wearing women's colognes (or doing anything feminine), I've actually defended the individuals here who do so, trying to tell the people I speak with that due to the passion hobbiests have for their hobbies, they have a different way of thinking than the general public and thus, it's a hobby thing, not a social thing.
    [/quote]

And there are people who think wearing ANY fragrance makes you effemenate or gay. They are wrong. Some people just follow marketing and think what they are told to think. These people are not innovators. They often have no consciousness that people in other parts of the world think differently. This is dangerous and needs to be challanged at every turn.

The smells I choose are not just about sexuality. They can express many aspects of personality or none.

reviews

And there are people who think wearing ANY fragrance makes you effemenate or gay. They are wrong. Some people just follow marketing and think what they are told to think. These people are not innovators. They often have no consciousness that people in other parts of the world think differently. This is dangerous and needs to be challanged at every turn.

The smells I choose are not just about sexuality. They can express many aspects of personality or none.
    I certainly agree with my musical colleague. A blind test could be arranged to see if people could identify scents as masculine or feminine. I think that if we went easy on the florals, you can be sure that scent-ignorant people would make loads of mistakes.

Just as many as if you did a blind wine-tasting test where people try to pick out the most expensive wine.

And I think it's safe to say that people here aren't really wearing scents to please the average mook anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    [quote author=hirch duckfinder link=1149519884/15#18 date=1149796027]

I certainly agree with my musical colleague. *A blind test could be arranged to see if people could identify scents as masculine or feminine. *I think that if we went easy on the florals, you can be sure that scent-ignorant people would make loads of mistakes.

Just as many as if you did a blind wine-tasting test where people try to pick out the most expensive wine. *

And I think it's safe to say that people here aren't really wearing scents to please the average mook anyway.[/quote]

YES!
    There's no freakin way I wear Z-14 thinking that chicks dig it. There's more to this hobby than that.

feminine/masculine frags are just as much a genre as fougere or citrus or chypre. It's just a way of giving you an idea of what you're getting. Those classifications can be way off, but then so are some people's first impressions of some frags.
    But then again, I've never really had a problem with mixing gender roles. I think that a woman in a suit with a loose tie and a few open buttons to be just as attractive as a guy in eyeliner or a tasteful lipstick.
    And let's not forget that fashion advertising is largely responsible for public perception of gender roles- can you imagine a guy wearing low-rise jeans 10 years ago?

-ben

edit- I should add that, although I stick mainly to 'masculine' frags, I consider that to be a result of my personal taste. It's no different than liking chocolate or not. I think I can say this with some confidence, since I like my favorite male frags on girls just as much as I like wearing them myself.
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

I wear alot of unisex frags, alot of "pour hommes" and maybe one or two that are marketed to women from time to time.

I think I'm in Renato's camp at the end of the day. I like the shorthand of gender conventions in general. I don't have something ridiculous to prove. I'm comfortable in being a man. I like the heritage of manhood, and smelling like a man. It doesn't make one a lug. Sure, most of the best fragrances IMO are unisex. I don't wear big manly scents EVERYday...but hey, I understand why some scents are released as "pour homme" and "pour femme"-- It's the designer's vision of what they want to represent man and woman. If Dior Homme is a bit feminine, so be it--I can see what they were trying to do. I just want to smell good (unisex) or manly (pour homme)-- I DON'T however want to smell like a woman under any circumstances.

But anyway, this argument is really close to the dead horse one. I'm just saying that personally, I don't get the violent anti-pour homme/femme sentiment on this issue. It's so hostile sometimes. Like, "how DARE some company try to tell me what to wear!?" Wear whatever the hell you like if it makes you happy (as some people can't stop saying at every chance)... I just happen to like wearing pants. I'm not on some ambiguous sexuality mindf*ck trip like some people might be...

Now granted, there are ALOT of scents that are hommes/femmes where you just scratch your head and wonder what they were smoking. So I don't want my comments to sound like I'm some guy with blinders on, who gets suckered in by marketing... but seriously, for whatever reason, people instinctively KNOW what's right. When I wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme and get attacked by women, I know all is right in my world.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    When I wear Rive Gauche Pour Homme and get attacked by women, I know all is right in my world.
    A bottle of this will be on my shopping list tommorow!!

[quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1149519884/15#17 date=1149794479][quote author=Renato link=1149519884/0#13 date=1149790094][quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1149519884/0#10 date=1149762688]

Renato[/quote]
    Yes.

The guys I ask laugh about the people here that do so. The women I ask are the ones who are most adament - they think that the guys who do so have a masculinity problem and I hear comments like "hell no, why would I want to go out with a guy who smells like my sister". *

[/quote]

[/quote]
    People thinking that any guys that wear fragrances are effiminate or gay are not in the mainstream. All during my lifetime, and that goes back to the 50's, I remember men's colognes like Old Spice and Skin Bracer in barber shops and drug stores. And this was before all the politically "correct" ideas of gender began in the 60's.

It's not as simple as just marketing saying "let's make this feminine and this is masculine". There had to be research and reasons that determined which fragrances made a woman smell feminie, a man smell masculine or a neutral fragrance that did neither (unisex). Obviously the idea is in line with Renato's statements about what boys and girls like.

Women liked soft and floral, men did not. It's not the marketing people who determined this, but is instinctive. Just like the girls with their motherly instinct who play with dolls and the boys who like construction sets.

It's correct to say that fragrances reflect aspects of personality for those who study them, like Basenoters. But how many guys in the general public are doing this at the ladies fragrance counter? *

There is a definite 'force' operating in Male fragrances which is that there are Gay Male users of Male frags (and Female ones as well). I think some of the more subtle homo-erotic adverts for Male frag's are testimony to te fact that marketers are aware of this.....
    I'm not saying that wearing frag's make a Man open to question RE his sexuality (I'm happily straight) but there is a degree of ambiguity that is perhaps played upon by the frag' manufacturers themselves (why cut off a potential market). Having said that there are frag's which I feel are obviously aimed at the Gay market (JPG and Joop). I think that anyone wearing them shouldn't be at all suprised if people pick up the wrong/right signal!
    As for men wearing female frag's. I guess it's a bit like a man loving to dress up in women's clothing. Men who do such and maintain a hetrosexuality probably do so for the love of the elegance of such items rather than to express some sexualy identity. Again, they shouldn't be surprised if people assume certain things as a result of their wearing a female frag'. Ironically a woman weraing a Male frag' (as many women in the perfume selling industry do), would not be open to questions about their sexuality to the same degree. Women CAN wear the pants!

I'm sure that gays are a factor to some fragrance companies and in the opinions of some here, but they aren't a factor in any of my opinions.

I'm sure that gays are a factor to some fragrance companies and in the opinions of some here, but they aren't a factor in any of my opinions.

Then good for you.
    Awesomeguy

[quote author=Renato link=1149519884/0#13 date=1149790094][quote author=MikeFromManhattan link=1149519884/0#10 date=1149762688]

Renato[/quote]
    Yes.

The guys I ask laugh about the people here that do so. The women I ask are the ones who are most adament - they think that the guys who do so have a masculinity problem and I hear comments like "hell no, why would I want to go out with a guy who smells like my sister".)

In the same breath, i would say why would i want to go out with some dumb c**t who thinks something like that. You sound like you have some real "winners" for friends. I'm glad i dont travel in your circle. *

Awesomeguy

[quote author=narcus link=1149519884/0#4 date=1149749945]No, Renato, I don't.

I am glad you're quoting, so I can freely say that I do not *think these were words of wisdom! *
    A man who is a man knows his position. More than maybe others he also knows what products he needs. I believe, life is the other way around: for weaker and younger persons labels are helpful to mark male territory for them. I use sun protection as most people. *The label must simply say: ray protection = *10..25..50, whatever. A label that says 'Niv*** Sun Oil for Men' *is no reason for me to buy or leave it. Not even, if 100 muscle studs jump off a cliff for that brand's commercials... *
    (don't look for that one, I am just making it up 8-) * )
    A man who is a man knows that when he buys Nivea moisturiser, it would be better if he bought the For Men version - unless he wishes to be judged as effeminate by numerous members of both sexes.)

Who cares if some dumbass who doesnt know me wants to "judge me as effeminate"?? Why should i care about that???

Awesomeguy

Renato

But my parents generation of men wouldn't buy nivea anything for fear of being classified as girly. It is because of progressive thinking that we can all talk about liking perfume. You may not wish to wear pour femmes, and that's fine but others should be able toi if they want.[/quote]

No one is saying that others shouldn't be able to wear what they want - of course they can.
    I'm just pointing out that
    a. There are very strong gender preferences, and
    b. The notion that people who have those strong gender preferences are either
    *i. * * Meatheads, or
    *ii. * *Brainwashed by companies, *or
    *iii. * Somehow unenlightened,
    are inaccurate flights of wishful thinking, and denials of reality.
    Renato