Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Ultimate love/hate thread

Those of us who have been collecting fragrances for more than a few years will eventually come across one or more fragrances that we love one day and hate the next. It may be love one year and hate the next, but you get the idea. For me, Must de Cartier is one. Sometimes I find it to be a fragrance that exudes class and other times it find it cloying. Creed Bois du Portugal is another. Which ones do you have a love/hate relationship with?

Default Re: Ultimate love/hate thread

Formidable Homme - but I'd categorize it more like a love/love less relationship.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

definitely Tuscan Leather, it can be sexy and macho and great, or mad screaming raspberry and wet ashtrays...

and quite a few classic daytime scents like eau sauvage, guerlain vetiver, azzaro ph etc. Sometimes they seem spot on and you walk out the door all zingy and full of business power, other times they smell hard and weird and unfriendly to me

With Tam Dao sometimes I would love the soft woody scent and other times the pickled cypress note would annoy the hell out of me. Ended up getting rid of it.

Prada Amber Intense.

Some days, it's among the greatest things I've ever smelled. On other days, the top notes linger way too long, especially on clothing, and something in those top notes starts to remind me of a bad aerosol deodorant, which I realize is a completely ridiculous association since the scent smells nothing like that! The base truly is one of the best things I've ever smelled. If I could find a scent that smelled like only the base of Amber Intense, I'd happily pay top dollar and would wear it all winter long!
    Anybody have a sample of Martin Margiela Untitled or Untitled L'Eau? I'm dying to smell these and I've got lots of great niche samples to swap!

"Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Sometimes I start hating my sotd I usually love just because I'm having a bad day and everything annoys me. It takes some time before I can start wearing that scent again.

Certain powerhouses and other heavier but still good, like G-Man by Gainsoboro, Quorum by Puig- while acknowledging that they are well-made fragrances, it is sometimes difficult for me to get beyond the initial blast of sharper notes and eventually enjoy their far more rewarding final development.

Pure Malt for me because some days it's the greatest designer fragrance (besides Dior Homme Intense) I've ever smelled then other days it smells like a Crown Royal hangover.

Current Fahrenheit. Sometimes the oily/petroleum comes through a tad much and would also categorize this as a love/love less but only on some days. So, its mostly a love.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Edition Blanche for me. Some days it will be my favorite among my collection, and others I will think it smells like a lemon-scented cleaning chemical.

Xeryus Rouge, got through half of a 90's bottle, fell out of love and swapped it away. Bought it again round 2008, wore it a couple times, found it cloying and gifted it away... Now I have the current reform and still can't take it sometimes, but will keep it to save myself from possibly repurchasing again LOL

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

Here are some that come to mind:

Creed - Royal Oud: In 2011-2012 I really didn't care for this fragrance but 2013-Present this became one of my favorite Creeds outside of the classics.

Creed - Cypres Musc: In 2013 I found this scent rather offensive and strange but as of 2015 I'm slowly having a change of heart to this scent.

Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather: 2010-2011 I ended up hating this one and thus stayed away from it for a few years. 2014-Present this is my second favorite from the Private Blend line.

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu: When this came out I didn't like it. By the end of last year it became one of my favorites from the Private Blend line.

Chanel Antaeus and Egoiste: 2009-2010 I found them repulsive and disgusting. Around 2013 these became one of my favorites from Chanel behind Coromandel and Sycomore.

Guerlain Tonka Imperiale: 2011 this was one of my favorite gourmands, very sweet and addicting to smell. By end of 2012 the sweetness ended up being very repulsive and headache inducing and ended up disliking it. By 2014 I started to appreciate this fragrance again and enough to get another decant of it for future uses.
    Last edited by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer; 24th January 2015 at 09:12 PM. Reason: More Examples

Narcisso Rodriguez for me. It's the patchouli that does it.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

yep patchouli does seem to have that delicate balance effect - I have that feeling with guerlian heritage - 90% of the time I love it but sometimes its just overbearing with the patchouli hit

Versace Dreamer.
    Currently wearing: Déclaration by Cartier

+1 for Fahrenheit

Also will add LaCoste Essential...sometimes smells so fresh and great, and other times the sweet accord along with the tomato leaf in this will turn my stomach.

Hanae Mori HM-great mentholated/candied lemon scent that sometimes is about the best smell ever and other times absolutely sickly and over the top.

Bleu de Chanel-most of the time when I spray this...the citrus burns off in 5-10mins and all I'm left with is strong incense on my skin which I can't stand. But every once in a great while if I spray light,(1-2sprays)I get a lovely and gentle scent that is well balanced and smells terrific.
    1 John 4:19 "We love Him because He first loved us."

Pure Malt. It's great 90% of the time for me, but sometimes it can become grating.
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Malle Une Fleur de Cassis. Some days it smells like a really sexy floral. Other days, it just smells like ass.

Kouros. It has a mind on its own.

Basenotes Plus

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Versace Dreamer.

Aramis

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by calzim View Post
    Aramis
    Yes, many of the old school powerhouses fall into this category.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    Yes, many of the old school powerhouses fall into this category.
    Not for me..

New Haarlem

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Opium Pour Homme edp. One day I like it, the next day it's too much. Tuscan Leather can fall into this category as well.

Dependent

Amouage Gold Man, it's one of the best scents in my collection but sometimes after a day of it's unrelenting power the civet can become a bit much.

This one's super-simple: A*Men. Love the smell (yes, even the tar note), but hate the fact that it's so loud and powerful that it's virtually impossible to wear 99% of the time. Even the Pure flanker series has nuclear sillage and longevity.

Fortunately, I have found a better, kinder, gentler alternative in the form of By Kilian's Intoxicated. Yeah, it costs a lot more, but it's smoother, more well-rounded, and a lot more wearable for daily use.
    "It always seems impossible until it's done." -Nelson Mandela

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Prada Amber Intense.

Some days, it's among the greatest things I've ever smelled. On other days, the top notes linger way too long, especially on clothing, and something in those top notes starts to remind me of a bad aerosol deodorant, which I realize is a completely ridiculous association since the scent smells nothing like that! The base truly is one of the best things I've ever smelled. If I could find a scent that smelled like only the base of Amber Intense, I'd happily pay top dollar and would wear it all winter long!
    Don't tell me this, brotato. PAPHI is next on my wish list.

Totally agree with bigbz about Hanae Mori HM.
    As far as one that hasn't been mentioned, Aventus was a real love/hate thing with me.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 27th January 2015 at 12:13 AM.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Understatesman

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310 View Post
    Fortunately, I have found a better, kinder, gentler alternative in the form of By Kilian's Intoxicated. Yeah, it costs a lot more, but it's smoother, more well-rounded, and a lot more wearable for daily use.
    HELL YEAH! Fellow Intoxicated fan here (and one of only 3 scents I choose to own). Love this stuff, and everyone I've come across does as well. Personally, I'm still getting used to the opening but the drydown after the first 40 minutes is paradise.

DHI

Gives me a headache but I do like the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by phase4 View Post
    DHI

Gives me a headache but I do like the scent.
    I get the same effect but with Lolita Lempicka Au Masculine. Loved this one in the beginning but lately I get massive headaches. A shame because I really enjoy this fragrance.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    Current Fahrenheit. Sometimes the oily/petroleum comes through a tad much and would also categorize this as a love/love less but only on some days. So, its mostly a love.
    agree on the dior - fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Chanel1 View Post
    Opium Pour Homme edp. One day I like it, the next day it's too much. Tuscan Leather can fall into this category as well.
    Opium pour Homme EdP is a great one provided you spray less. It can get cloying pretty fast and I've also experienced this.

Avignon: one day it's Gothic Cathedral in a bottle, next day it's cheap cedar and scorching chemical ISO E super all day long.

Cow Tipper Extraordinaire

Blog Entries

Another vote for Versace Dreamer. My first wearing was a couple of chest sprays an hour before bedtime. A few sleepless hours later I was in the shower scrubbing it off..
    These things cannot be long hidden: the Sun, the Moon, the Truth--Buddha

Tuscan Leather.

9 times out of 10 it is fantastic and one of the best I own.

But on that 10th time, when it catches me the wrong way, I almost cannot stand it.
    "I have to return some videotapes"