Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Unforgivable

  1. #1

    Default Unforgivable

    When will Sean John stop? He has been ripping off other peoples work in music for a long time, now it is in fragrances that he wants to do the same? *Today I had recieved a 8ml decant of Unforgivable, I was hoping it will not smell too much like MI, so I sprayed the first spray on my hand and then * this is smells EXACTLY like the top notes of MI so much that I sprayed MI on my other hand it *was nearly 100% identical. *Unforgivable VERY QUICKLY hit the dry down and it smelt less like MI but it was still pretty close, Unforgivable to my nose has like a strong tea note or something similer to tea. *Unforgivable did not last on me it faded in 2 hours, I think MI has like strong mossy sweat note (in my opinion) and also has better sillage and lasts a bit longer.

    Next month Unforgivable will be released in the UK and I am pretty sure that every guy will be wearing it. *Now I will dread wearing MI even tho MI is more richer then Unforgivable and a BN can tell the difference but the general public would be thinking I am wearing Unforgivable just like many that would be.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  2. #2
    Basenotes Plus

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    6,709

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    When it first came out I posted that Unforgiveable seemed like a mixture of many other frags, as though trying to please everyone. I would not be surprised if other similarities could be found by those with the sharper noses here. It is not terrible stuff compared to some, but those with more refined tastes will probably not like it.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    I tested it again last Saturday, and yes it's too close to MI.

    The drydown is not quite as close as the openng, but yeah, its a rip.


  4. #4

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    Yeah. *It sucks.

    On a side note, last week I was browsing the jeans aisles at Marshalls, when I caught a whiff of what smelled like MI coming off of these really ghetto dudes in baggy clothes and Timberland boots...

    Great, now Unforgivable is going to become really popular amongst low-life idiots, and MI's golden reputation will be tarnished.

    Thanks Puffy, you f*ck-face.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    I love MI and I Love Unforgivable...the drydown on Unf. is very nice IMO

  6. #6

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    This month's GQ mag. comes with a "scratch-n-sniff" of this stuff... first thing that came to my mind was that it smelled like a copy of T&H 1805.

    -R

  7. #7

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    I don't know if anyone can remember, I made a post while back about a lady at work who wore this fragrances that smelt exactly like MI, when today she was wearing it again and it smelt just like Unforgivable. *Someone mentioned that it might be Cool Water for women.
    "...but I also can't prove that mushrooms could not be intergalactic spaceships spying on us." Daniel C. Dennett

    Top 5
    1.
    Heritage 2. Antaeus3.Kouros 4. Drakkar Noir 5. Montana PDH

  8. #8

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    What's MI? Can't figure this one out
    Thanks!

    * Was not too impressed with the Unforgiveable scent to have anything to declare at the moment, but it was pleasant.
    Ayala Moriel, Perfumer
    Ayala Moriel Parfums http://www.ayalamoriel.com/
    Visit my SmellyBlog: http://www.smellyblog.com/

  9. #9

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayala
    What's MI? Can't figure this one out
    Thanks!

    * Was not too impressed with the Unforgiveable scent to have anything to declare at the moment, but it was pleasant.
    http://www.basenotes.net/ID26121101.html

  10. #10

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    I am unimpressed by Unforgiveable and I love MI.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    I am unimpressed by Unforgiveable and I love MI.
    I havent tried Unforgivable but MI is also one of my favorites. So what you are saying is that these two arent that similar ?
    -

  12. #12

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    I keep reading here from a lot of Bnoters that they donít care about the brand of a fragrance, that if a scent smells good theyíll wear it, that they donít care about the label on the bottle.

    What Iíd like to know is this: all of you who are mad at P Diddy (what a name! seems more like a cartoon character name) because he cloned MI, is it because you find this imoral when you judge it by the standards set by the values in which you believe or is it because people will think that when youíre wearing Millesime Imperial from Creed (the prestigious house with such a long history and tradition, a house who provided and still provides for royal figures and celebrities, a house who charge so much for its perfumes) you are just wearing Unforgivable from P Diddy?

    I think that the main reason you are mad is that when youíll be wearing MI, the people around you will associate the fragrance with P Diddy and your ego doesnít want that. Thatís not a problem, but I think would be better for everyone here if we stoped pretending that the brand of a fragrance doesnít matter, that itís only the scent we care for and not the name on the bottle.

    I donít recall of Bond No 9 generating such negativity when some scents made by this house were described as very similar with some from Creed; I think this is because Bond No 9 is still an exclusive house, who charges the same as Creed for its fragrances and so your ego doesnít suffer so much if someone will confuse your Creed with a Bond.

    Also, people here admit that OV itís a clone of Mugler Cologne yet that doesnít seem to generate so much hostility towards Creed because he cloned a fragrance from another brand. All they say is: Yeah, Creed cloned Mugler Cologne, but he made it just a little better. Of course, nobody will be ashamed to wear OV because itís a Creed, even if it smells so similar to Mugler Cologne.

    Do you think that P Diddy went to David Apel and said to him: You know David what Iíd like from you? Iíd like you to create a clone of MI from Creed, because thatís my favorite scent and when the people will smell it I want them to believe that I am the one who designed it. That will be easy because Creed itís not a very well known brand and the fragrances made by it are very expensive and not many can afford them.?

    Letís pretend that MI wasnít created by Creed, but by Estee Lauder under the Sean John brand. Do you think that this scent (which is exactly like MI to microscopic details, but with a different name) would give you the same satisfaction as in the case of this scent being created by Creed? I think that the brand which makes a product alters our perceptions on the product. If a product itís made by a prestigious brand you will tend to increase its merits and view it as something more elevated then it really is. Also, if the exactly same product itís made by a mass market brand you will tend to diminish the merits of this product just because of the brand who made it.

    If a scent is good and you like it why do you care if somebody will confuse it with another one that it's cheaper? If it's just the scent that you care for and not the brand who made it why is it so important to you if others don't know that it's made by that or that brand? Would you be more confortable if the people around you would have the same knowledge about the perfume houses as Bnoters have and if they would know that you are wearing MI from Creed and not Unforgivable from Sean John?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    I keep reading here from a lot of Bnoters that they donít care about the brand of a fragrance, that if a scent smells good theyíll wear it, that they donít care about the label on the bottle.

    What Iíd like to know is this: all of you who are mad at P Diddy (what a name! seems more like a cartoon character name) because he cloned MI, is it because you find this imoral when you judge it by the standards set by the values in which you believe or is it because people will think that when youíre wearing Millesime Imperial from Creed (the prestigious house with such a long history and tradition, a house who provided and still provides for royal figures and celebrities, a house who charge so much for its perfumes) you are just wearing Unforgivable from P Diddy?

    I think that the main reason you are mad is that when youíll be wearing MI, the people around you will associate the fragrance with P Diddy and your ego doesnít want that. Thatís not a problem, but I think would be better for everyone here if we stoped pretending that the brand of a fragrance doesnít matter, that itís only the scent we care for and not the name on the bottle.

    I donít recall of Bond No 9 generating such negativity when some scents made by this house were described as very similar with some from Creed; I think this is because Bond No 9 is still an exclusive house, who charges the same as Creed for its fragrances and so your ego doesnít suffer so much if someone will confuse your Creed with a Bond.

    Also, people here admit that OV itís a clone of Mugler Cologne yet that doesnít seem to generate so much hostility towards Creed because he cloned a fragrance from another brand. All they say is: Yeah, Creed cloned Mugler Cologne, but he made it just a little better. Of course, nobody will be ashamed to wear OV because itís a Creed, even if it smells so similar to Mugler Cologne.

    Do you think that P Diddy went to David Apel and said to him: You know David what Iíd like from you? Iíd like you to create a clone of MI from Creed, because thatís my favorite scent and when the people will smell it I want them to believe that I am the one who designed it. That will be easy because Creed itís not a very well known brand and the fragrances made by it are very expensive and not many can afford them.?

    Letís pretend that MI wasnít created by Creed, but by Estee Lauder under the Sean John brand. Do you think that this scent (which is exactly like MI to microscopic details, but with a different name) would give you the same satisfaction as in the case of this scent being created by Creed? I think that the brand which makes a product alters our perceptions on the product. If a product itís made by a prestigious brand you will tend to increase itís merits and view it as something more elevated then it really is. Also, if the exactly same product itís made by a mass market brand you will tend to diminish the merits of this product just because of the brand who made it.

    If a scent is good and you like it why do you care if somebody will confuse it with another one that it's cheaper? If it's just the scent that you care for and not the brand who made it why is it so important to you if others don't know that it's made by that or that brand? Would you be more confortable if the people around you would have the same knoledge about the perfume houses as Bnoters have and if they would know that you are wearing MI from Creed and not Unforgivable from Sean John?
    Luca, in the case of Bond no.9, the chances of a similar Creed-like frag going mainstream was far less than Sean Diddys Unforgivable (which will become or is starting to become mainstream fast). Many people talk about CoolWater/Curve being similar to Creeds GIT, but apart from an initial similarity in the top notes (which fade away fast), GIT heads in a totally different more complex direction....which is the reason i still wear GIT. If I can find the exact same scent for less(and not some top-note copy scent), then I would shift to that scent...the house wont matter. If the only thing that MI shares with Unforgivable is some top note superficial similarity, then I will keep on wearing MI...otherwise, its bye bye Imperial, hello Unforgivable ! *;D
    -

  14. #14

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    Hmmm... I don't even know where to begin. *I guess I'll just be honest for starters. *Yes, it's *obviously important for me to like the actual SCENT...BUT I do care about the label on the bottle and the house and history all that jazz. *Sue me. *I know people have suspicions about Creed's integrity, so they might find the whole thing deliciously rich, but it's more than that.

    NO, I don't want somebody to think I'm wearing P-Diddy's scent!!!!!!!!

    What's wrong with that? *If it becomes really popular, it's going to ruin MI's ability to be its own thing, which it was FIRST.-- Since Unforgivable is aimed at the hip-hop crowd, which let's be honest is the biggest bunch of "me too" trend followers, bullsh*t swallowers there is, with all the nasty ass gold"grills" on teeth and everything. *Not my scene. *But if the smell of Unforgivable becomes synonymous with hip-hop culture circa 2006, then there is no point in me wearing MI--because it conveys something false, which it didn't before. *I don't wear Aqua di Gio. *Why? Because I hate the scent? No. *It's actually a pretty decent scent, BUT I hate the associations that this scent gives me. *It's a bunch of greased up p*ssy-patrolling pooon-weasels in vertical striped club shirts stumbling five abreast down a sidewalk after the bars close on a Saturday night in any f*cking city in the world. *I don't want to be associated with that aesthetic. *Nor do I want to be associated with P-Diddy's stupid toothpick in the mouth, unoriginal, manservant having, wanna-be thug culture.

    When a fragrance becomes popular enough to make it into the general conscience it no longer stands upon its own inherent qualities. *Polo, Aramis, Drakkar Noir, Eternity, Giorgio, Joop!, Kouros--these are all scents that have their own mythology, a reputation that precedes them and weighs heavily on any impression they may make, regardless of how they actually smell.

    There's more to it than the actual scent. *The associations are what make scent so intriguing in the first place-- The abstract associations as well as the explicit associations. *It's not just a smell, but it becomes a frame in space and time. *I just don't want people to smell my MI and associate me with the wanna be thug dumbass sitting behind them at the McDonalds drivethrough, who didn't have the decency to TURN DOWN HIS DAMN SUBWOOFERS while they were trying to order!

  15. #15

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    I think you misunderstood me Indie. I didnít said that itís wrong to care about the brand who made the scent. I care also about the brand which launches a scent. I donít know yet how MI or Unfogivable smell like because I havenít had the chance to try them. The criteria by which I decide to wear or not to wear a scent are 1. the inherent qualities of the scent, 2. its popularity (if itís very popular I wonít wear it even if itís a great scent) and 3. the brand who launches it (if Adidas or Gillette would come out with a great scent I still wonít wear it).

    What I wrote was addressed to those who claim that they donít care about the brand, the label on the bottle, the only thing that interests them being the scent.

    One more thing that Iím asking to myself, if itís so easy to clone an expensive scent, is if the retail prices set by Creed reflect the intrinsic qualities of the fragrance or is it just a marketing tactic in order to mentain the exclusivity of the brand by setting prohibitive prices for the general public.

    P.S: I also hate that cretin look of Diddy with the toothpick in his mouth. Does he thinks heís stylish? Or maybe his stylists make fun of him recommending to put a toothpick in his mouth to seem more sophisticated....

  16. #16

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    You know... I think I missed the point of Luca's thread initially. Now that i think about it, I think it has some relevance to the "pour hommes/pour femmes" thread...hmmm, something to think about for some people maybe.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Unforgivable

    Quote Originally Posted by Luca
    I think you misunderstood me Indie. I didnít said that itís wrong to care about the brand who made the scent. I care also about the brand which launches a scent. I donít know yet how MI or Unfogivable smell like because I havenít had the chance to try them. The criteria by which I decide to wear or not to wear a scent are 1. the inherent qualities of the scent, 2. his popularity (if itís very popular I wonít wear it even if itís a great scent) and 3. the brand who launches it (if Adidas or Gillette would come out with a great scent I still wonít wear it).

    What I wrote was addressed to those who claim that they donít care about the brand, the label on the bottle, the only thing that interests them being the scent.

    One more thing that Iím asking to myself, if itís so easy to clone an expensive scent, is if the retail prices set by Creed reflect the intrinsic qualities of the fragrance or is it just a marketing tactic in order to mentain the exclusivity of the brand by setting prohibitive prices for the general public?

    P.S: I also hate that cretin look of Diddy with the toothpick in his mouth. Does he thinks heís stylish? Or maybe his stylists make fun of him recommending to put a toothpick in his mouth to seem more sophisticated....
    Guilty as charged!

    I thought about your post and realized I had missed the point of it, because I was more interested in making my own points. When that occured to me, I tried to hurry up and say so, but you beat me to the punch!

    I'm dense sometimes!

Similar Threads

  1. If MI = Unforgivable then Unforgivable = ?
    By jenson in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 30th April 2008, 05:13 AM
  2. Just bought Unforgivable.....
    By gupts in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 20th October 2007, 02:34 AM
  3. New: Unforgivable by Sean Combs
    By cedriceccentric in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 27th January 2007, 03:48 AM
  4. Sean "Diddy" Combs launch of Unforgivable at Saks.
    By cedriceccentric in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 27th April 2006, 08:09 PM
  5. Sean Johnís first Unforgivable fragrance with Estť
    By whitechandoo in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 21st February 2006, 03:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000