Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1

    Default YSL--Rive Gauche

    It's Barbasol shaving cream, only in an overpriced scent version. Oh my god, this is truly one of the worst scents I've ever worn. It smells exactly like shaving cream, musty soap, the back room of an old museum, ugh. I can't distinguish any individual note, they all blend into this antiquated smelling miasma that I can't wait to shower off. Does anyone actually like this scent?

  2. #2

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Quote Originally Posted by madgradrx
    It's Barbasol shaving cream, only in an overpriced scent version. Oh my god, this is truly one of the worst scents I've ever worn. It smells exactly like shaving cream, musty soap, the back room of an old museum, ugh. I can't distinguish any individual note, they all blend into this antiquated smelling miasma that I can't wait to shower off. Does anyone actually like this scent?
    My experience with this one was exactly as you describe. It does smell like a musty Barbasol edt, good thing it only lasted a few minutes on my skin!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  3. #3

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Love it, It's one of my faves! I think it's got a great mix of contemporary and classic. It's definitely not for the faint of heart

  4. #4

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I thought you schlocks claim it smells like Brut! Make up your minds. You guys need to learn the difference between cheap crappy and down and dirty.

  5. #5

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Its kind of retro with a modern twist, I kind of like it, after wearing it a couple of times.

  6. #6

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I don't have Brut, but I've smelled it, and Rive Gauche smells like a better quality Brut. Sorry to hear about your bad experience though, since RG is in my top 3 scents. I think it was made to fit the same time frame as the women's version, so it smells like a dirty 70's scent. It's one of the recent scents that I would classify as classic for that reason. Others winning this title are any Helmut Lang, By Man, and M7. The classic/contempory genre of scents is probably my favorite style of scents.

  7. #7

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I love this one too. Yeah its hard to distinguish individual notes but the overall effect is classy and masculine. I've got a lot of female compliments on Rive Gauche.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  8. #8

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    One of my favorites. Stong, long lasting and a classic smell that cant be forgotten about.

  9. #9

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Another fan here. I LOVE that star anise.

    Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  10. #10

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I love it also!

  11. #11

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Also, why do you not see this in dept. stores anymore? This is a classic also and I do not know why the only YSL scent to stay in a mall is kouros and not jazz or rive gauche? Makes me mad.

  12. #12

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Rive Gauche kicks more ass than a bar full of coked-up bikers.
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

  13. #13

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Well, sorry guys, I'm going to have to go against the grain on this one. Been wearing it all day, and it still stinks. Maybe it's just my body chemistry, but if anyone wants my bottle let me know...

  14. #14

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    Also, why do you not see this in dept. stores anymore? This is a classic also and I do not know why the only YSL scent to stay in a mall is kouros and not jazz or rive gauche? Makes me mad.
    I saw Jazz, Rive Gauche, and Kouros in Perfumania today, which blew me away.

  15. #15

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Quote Originally Posted by ironmics
    [quote author=ikkitosennomusha link=1121185612/0#10 date=1121197081]Also, why do you not see this in dept. stores anymore? This is a classic also and I do not know why the only YSL scent to stay in a mall is kouros and not jazz or rive gauche? Makes me mad.
    I saw Jazz, Rive Gauche, and Kouros in Perfumania today, which blew me away.[/quote]

    Perfumania is probably the ONLY place you will find them. Thats where i bought my Rive Gauche and Live Jazz.

    Jeff
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  16. #16

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Rive Gauche- my number one most complimented scent by a mile.

    Sometimes I put it away and forget about it for a while, and then when I break it out I am always pleasantly surprised. I totally get the 'barbasol' thing too, btw. And also it's 'dustiness' is a major reason why i like it. But its got alot more going on in it. You can't just spray it on and decide- you have to give it some full wearing. People will react favorably to it. But even besides that, I like it for myself. I just ran out of RG shower gel, which was one of the best shower gels ever. Just like RG, but with an amplified lavender note- very deep.

    I can see why people would dismiss RG, but many who have stuck with it were rewarded.

  17. #17

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I have the shower gel too and I love it!
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  18. #18

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I must admit I'm a little perplexed as to the negative reactions this one receives. At the same time I have to keep reminding myself that if we were all alike this would be a rather boring planet. I have to always factor in the "body chemistry" wildcard. Personally, I love it and reach for it often. It's a soft powdery scent with just a hint of spice. Granted, it is a somewhat linear scent but it's a linearity I can live with.

    Aaron

  19. #19

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Sorry, Mad, but you're in the minority here!

    Love this scent.

    Different strokes for different folks. We're all entitled to our opinion and no one is "right" or "wrong!" That's the beauty of the fragrance world.

  20. #20

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Another fan of Rive Gauche.

  21. #21
    Yvan
    Guest

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Quote Originally Posted by scenthound
    I thought you schlocks claim it smells like Brut! Make up your minds. You guys need to learn the difference between cheap crappy and down and dirty.
    Well, I found that the initial experience was cheap crappy, but the drydown is down and dirty, and in between was cheap and dirty.

  22. #22
    Why So Serious?
    HackerX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,402

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Guess i'm also one of the few. I really did not like this scent, i mean i like some retro smelling stuff, but this stuff was way to musty, so musty that it became nasty. But it could grow on me one day, who knows.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

  23. #23

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I'm made about the sillage of this scent on other people but cannot detect that wonderful smell when I'm wearing it myself which is why I barely wear it, but can't help admiring it on other people.

  24. #24

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I've grown over time to like Rive Gauche very much, though Zino is better if you get my drift.

  25. #25

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Awful stuff...
    Every year or so it seems I get a bug about trying some more recent/contemporary fragrances and I go on a stupid blind-buying excursion or two. On the last one I got Rive Gauche.
    It doesn't smell "retro" to me at all; I don't get how it's supposed to be a throwback to the classics or whatever.
    It smells thin and weak, feminine and entirely synthetic. People've said the smell reminds them of Barabasol shaving cream, but I don't get that at all. I like the smell of Barabasol. Rive Gauche smells like... I dunno. Cheap hair spray, maybe. Nothing but chemicals. It's easily the most synthetic fragrance I've ever smelled.
    Oh well, back to my 70's & 80's scents. (For another year or so...)

  26. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hong Kong, Paris, Singapore
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I think it's a stroke of genius.. maybe even if (perhaps) unintendedly so.
    I made a post on the old Basenotes about how it's very much like modern dance or chillout music with looped drums and electronic keyboards and even looped vocals... YES, is is linear. YES, it isn't constructed with the expected top, middle and base notes. YES, it doesn't smell super refined or classy..
    BUT it is MAGNETIC..... and it keeps repeating itself til you're HOOKED.
    I only slowly grew to like it ... testing it in the store, then walking away COMPLETELY unimpressed at the beginning. Then, finding myself drawn back to it again and again... as I caught whiffs of it wafting off my hands, wrists, arms....
    I finally gave in and bought it... and BOY was I taken by surprise!
    This fragrance hangs like a web around you.. it lures women (and men!) into your range without them knowing why... it's aldehydes are both salty and metallic and that is so surprsingly contrasted with the distilled lavender, patchouli and gaiac wood that it not only lures them into range, it also keeps them there (unless you don't have the conversation, face or muscles to further interest them - I guess!)
    It seems to have been 'styled' if that is the right word to fit into our very very modern lifestyles. It's sexy, masculine, a little two dimensional but it does the trick.

    I love wearing it.
    I love smelling it on someone else.
    I love the attention.
    I love the metal cannister.
    I love the throwaway feel of it.
    I love the Eau de Toilette
    I loved the limited Light Summer Edition they released last year
    I love the shower gel!
    I also love the refillable Haute Concentrate bottle...

    Voila... we are in the modern world

  27. #27

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Luca Turin just added a post about RG on his blog:

    "The Fougère (fern) fragrance types is to masculines roughly what Chypre (mossy woods in Michael Edwards’ classification) is to feminines. Together, they inaugurated abstraction in fragrances. Fougères started in 1882 with Paul Parquet’s superb, and long extinct, Fougère Royale (Houbigant), the first fragrance to use a synthetic in large amounts. Artistically, the best fougères are the so-called “aromatic” variety, typified by Azzaro Homme (1978), and Calvin (Calvin Klein 1981). Saint-Laurent used to make one in the seventies as well, and it was very good indeed, but it was discontinued. This Rive Gauche Pour Homme, released last year, is not a million miles away from the older one, only less soapy. It is strikingly refined and understated in a field populated by loud and exuberantly hairy-chested fragrances. What I like about it is that the drydown smells (there is no other way to describe it) salty: the readers who have tried the intriguing but largely useless salt substitute made with lemon rind powder and crushed pepper will know what I mean. In this case, the effect is achieved by a mixture of vetiver, something that smells like carrot seed, and a smoky note of guaiac wood. The overall effect is hale and clean while remaining suitably gray and aloof as all self-respecting fougères should be. The beautiful packaging, aptly, sends the same message."
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

  28. #28

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Flawless update of old classics along the lines of Azzaro PH.
    Extreme lasting power on me and leaving a masculine, sophisticated almost intellectual sillage in its tracks.
    Class act, like all YSL´s. Never had so much positive responses clubbing with any other fragrance, girls (and guys/gays ) seem to just go wild over its traditional masculinity, something very rare nowadays, at least in Northern Europe.
    10/10 Modern classic.

    MMM

  29. #29
    Dependent pluran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    6,873

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Quote Originally Posted by Scentsei
    Luca Turin just added a post about RG on his blog:

    "The Fougère (fern) fragrance types is to masculines roughly what Chypre (mossy woods in Michael Edwards’ classification) is to feminines. Together, they inaugurated abstraction in fragrances. Fougères started in 1882 with Paul Parquet’s superb, and long extinct, Fougère Royale (Houbigant), the first fragrance to use a synthetic in large amounts. Artistically, the best fougères are the so-called “aromatic” variety, typified by Azzaro Homme (1978), and Calvin (Calvin Klein 1981). Saint-Laurent used to make one in the seventies as well, and it was very good indeed, but it was discontinued. This Rive Gauche Pour Homme, released last year, is not a million miles away from the older one, only less soapy. It is strikingly refined and understated in a field populated by loud and exuberantly hairy-chested fragrances. What I like about it is that the drydown smells (there is no other way to describe it) salty: the readers who have tried the intriguing but largely useless salt substitute made with lemon rind powder and crushed pepper will know what I mean. In this case, the effect is achieved by a mixture of vetiver, something that smells like carrot seed, and a smoky note of guaiac wood. The overall effect is hale and clean while remaining suitably gray and aloof as all self-respecting fougères should be. The beautiful packaging, aptly, sends the same message."

    "...hale and clean...suitably gray and aloof..." good words.

    great stuff.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

    The entire universe is based upon your ability to conclude the new idea which is the summoning forth of the new life into the new space.




  30. #30

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    [quote author=ironmics link=1121185612/0#13 date=1121207781][quote author=ikkitosennomusha link=1121185612/0#10 date=1121197081]Also, why do you not see this in dept. stores anymore? This is a classic also and I do not know why the only YSL scent to stay in a mall is kouros and not jazz or rive gauche? Makes me mad.
    I saw Jazz, Rive Gauche, and Kouros in Perfumania today, which blew me away.[/quote]

    Perfumania is probably the ONLY place you will find them. Thats where i bought my Rive Gauche and Live Jazz.

    Jeff[/quote]

    And wouldn't you know it... Fort Wayne will be getting a Perfumania soon. Can't wait!
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

  31. #31

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    I love love love it, the classic-est frag in my regular rotation. Here's what i said the last time RG was accused of being generic old man stuff, and I still stand by it:

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Aveda Hair Products... Gillette Shaving Foam... Brut & Old Spice: these referents all place Rive Gauche in its niche as a classical kind of grooming smell, referred to once by Indie as RG's "retro chassis" and often shorthanded as "barbershop". I think this is the brilliance of it. It's unpretentious and unaffected (it reminds me of the vogue for "bedhead" hairstyles and "just-the-right-amount" of stubble), which sets it apart from the rest of the YSLs, which are by and large audacious, idiosyncratic extranvanganzas (paradoxically, YSL's website calls RG "unconventional" Pah!). This is just no-nonsense manly, not in a bland or generic way, just kind of classic. *much of the reason many men are embarassed by cologne (or being asked about cologne, see again Indie's possible Heritage sighting) is because were not supposed to seem "put-together" or "primped" or "preening" or any of those other things that women do for hours in front of full-length mirrors. Rive Gauche is the aesthete's answer to all that, encompassing that which is most sexy about that whole effortless, unmarked "conventional masculinity" and giving it an impeccable, glossy finish without seeming dandified or metrosexual. A masterpiece, the Levi's 501 of men's fragrance.

  32. #32

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Aveda Hair Products... Gillette Shaving Foam... Brut & Old Spice: these referents all place Rive Gauche in its niche as a classical kind of grooming smell, referred to once by Indie as RG's "retro chassis" and often shorthanded as "barbershop". I think this is the brilliance of it. It's unpretentious and unaffected (it reminds me of the vogue for "bedhead" hairstyles and "just-the-right-amount" of stubble), which sets it apart from the rest of the YSLs, which are by and large audacious, idiosyncratic extranvanganzas (paradoxically, YSL's website calls RG "unconventional" Pah!). This is just no-nonsense manly, not in a bland or generic way, just kind of classic. much of the reason many men are embarassed by cologne (or being asked about cologne, see again Indie's possible Heritage sighting) is because were not supposed to seem "put-together" or "primped" or "preening" or any of those other things that women do for hours in front of full-length mirrors. Rive Gauche is the aesthete's answer to all that, encompassing that which is most sexy about that whole effortless, unmarked "conventional masculinity" and giving it an impeccable, glossy finish without seeming dandified or metrosexual. A masterpiece, the Levi's 501 of men's fragrance.
    [/quote]


    Oh you should definitely write something serious my dear friend... I love Rive Gauche and love your writing too!
    Now Rive Gauche has become my first choice. When I am not experimenting with other colognes, I ALWAYS wear this. It's soooo fresh for the summer and soooo warm for winter. It's just pure magic.
    It has a culinary character in it that makes me and people around want to keep smelling it.
    Don't forget my "many-compliments-in-a-day" record with this one!

  33. #33

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    Rive Gauche. So butt-ugly on me for the first 15 minutes or so. Almost gross. Then, somehow, all that fades and I am left with smooth, spicy, manly slickness. It lasts a long time on me. It fools me into believing it's no longer there, but then I move, and get another whiff. And I feel good wearing it.

  34. #34

    Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

    In london its pretty much in all the stores, i did not like it at first but it really grew on me after a few wares. One lady i work with came over all strange and a bit sexy about it! she said it was very dirty sex smell?!!!!!!! oh well , ill keep on wearing it then! just go easy its strong, although my bottle says edt extreme.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Similar Threads

  1. YSL Rive Gauche, Azzaro Pour Homme, and Brut.
    By Hysteria in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 19th July 2012, 12:29 AM
  2. Azzaro Onyx or YSL Rive Gauche ?
    By ISmellGood in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 22nd November 2007, 01:18 PM
  3. Another YSL Rive Gauche PH believer here!!!!!!
    By abimanyu in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 30th September 2006, 03:27 AM
  4. YSL Rive Gauche bottle
    By ChrisW in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 1st May 2006, 12:28 PM
  5. YSL Rive gauche or Versace Black jeans?
    By Tanzfreak24 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 31st March 2006, 01:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •