Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: YSL--Rive Gauche

I love love love it, the classic-est frag in my regular rotation. Here's what i said the last time RG was accused of being generic old man stuff, and I still stand by it:

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Aveda Hair Products... Gillette Shaving Foam... Brut & Old Spice: these referents all place Rive Gauche in its niche as a classical kind of grooming smell, referred to once by Indie as RG's "retro chassis" and often shorthanded as "barbershop". I think this is the brilliance of it. It's unpretentious and unaffected (it reminds me of the vogue for "bedhead" hairstyles and "just-the-right-amount" of stubble), which sets it apart from the rest of the YSLs, which are by and large audacious, idiosyncratic extranvanganzas (paradoxically, YSL's website calls RG "unconventional" Pah!). This is just no-nonsense manly, not in a bland or generic way, just kind of classic. *much of the reason many men are embarassed by cologne (or being asked about cologne, see again Indie's possible Heritage sighting) is because were not supposed to seem "put-together" or "primped" or "preening" or any of those other things that women do for hours in front of full-length mirrors. Rive Gauche is the aesthete's answer to all that, encompassing that which is most sexy about that whole effortless, unmarked "conventional masculinity" and giving it an impeccable, glossy finish without seeming dandified or metrosexual. A masterpiece, the Levi's 501 of men's fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    Aveda Hair Products... Gillette Shaving Foam... Brut & Old Spice: these referents all place Rive Gauche in its niche as a classical kind of grooming smell, referred to once by Indie as RG's "retro chassis" and often shorthanded as "barbershop". I think this is the brilliance of it. It's unpretentious and unaffected (it reminds me of the vogue for "bedhead" hairstyles and "just-the-right-amount" of stubble), which sets it apart from the rest of the YSLs, which are by and large audacious, idiosyncratic extranvanganzas (paradoxically, YSL's website calls RG "unconventional" Pah!). This is just no-nonsense manly, not in a bland or generic way, just kind of classic. much of the reason many men are embarassed by cologne (or being asked about cologne, see again Indie's possible Heritage sighting) is because were not supposed to seem "put-together" or "primped" or "preening" or any of those other things that women do for hours in front of full-length mirrors. Rive Gauche is the aesthete's answer to all that, encompassing that which is most sexy about that whole effortless, unmarked "conventional masculinity" and giving it an impeccable, glossy finish without seeming dandified or metrosexual. A masterpiece, the Levi's 501 of men's fragrance.
    [/quote]

Oh you should definitely write something serious my dear friend... I love Rive Gauche and love your writing too!
    Now Rive Gauche has become my first choice. When I am not experimenting with other colognes, I ALWAYS wear this. It's soooo fresh for the summer and soooo warm for winter. It's just pure magic.
    It has a culinary character in it that makes me and people around want to keep smelling it.
    Don't forget my "many-compliments-in-a-day" record with this one!

Rive Gauche. So butt-ugly on me for the first 15 minutes or so. Almost gross. Then, somehow, all that fades and I am left with smooth, spicy, manly slickness. It lasts a long time on me. It fools me into believing it's no longer there, but then I move, and get another whiff. And I feel good wearing it.

In london its pretty much in all the stores, i did not like it at first but it really grew on me after a few wares. One lady i work with came over all strange and a bit sexy about it! she said it was very dirty sex smell?!!!!!!! oh well , ill keep on wearing it then! just go easy its strong, although my bottle says edt extreme.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?