Code of Conduct

Default Trip to San Francisco

Living as I do in a relatively small, culturally isolated city in Montana, the only fragrances available are things like Tommy Hilfiger, Kenneth Cole - typical department store fare. No Creeds, YSL, Guerlain, Chanel, Dior, and certainly no niche scents. So, my experience has come primarily from the good folks here at Basenotes who have generously provided me with decants, samples, and recommendations.

I was fortunate enough to spend a few days in San Francisco earlier this week. I stayed in the center of downtown - only a block to the Powell St. cable car which goes straight to Fisherman's Wharf. I walked all over downtown, dined at the Wharf and in Chinatown. Total cultural overload. I probably looked like an idiot hick as I walked around wide-eyed and smiling at the realization of just being in the that incredible town.

One block away from my hotel was Sephora where I was able to sample Kouros, Envy, B*Men, and Lolita Lempicka. I thought the Kouros was very nice and nothing like what I expected after reading comments from this forum. I enjoyed Envy very much as well, and the B*men was also nice. The Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin, though really struck me. I guess I was expecting a more pronounced anise scent, but it was softer and I found it very comforting, not overpowering at all. At L'Occitane, I was able to sample the new Eau des Baux. The cypress and vanilla were predominant to my nose and I liked it very much. It didn't seem to last very long on me, though.

At the 5-story Nordstrom's across the street from Sephora, I slowly ambled past the fragrance counter, and an SA told me he had the greatest fragrance ever devised and grabbed a bottle of Geir. Thanks to you folks I could honestly say, "I've already got it and I love it." Not missing a beat he said that I simply must try the new Geir deodorant which, he said, unlike others will not cause cancer. Then he and his partner demonstrated that Geir, uniquely, was 100% natural, by shaking the bottle and pointing at the bubbles saying, "See all the natural oils in there?" I am wondering if they just make this stuff up or if it comes from sales literature.

Not surprisingly, I had a marvelous time, and one that was enhanced by the Basenotes community. "Better living through perfumery." Thanks, Basenotes!

Default Re: Trip to San Francisco

That my friend must have been a great experience. I lived near San Francisco in the 80's and loved it every time I went to the city. There are a couple of active BN members, living there, if you could have posted before you went there, you could have met them.

One in particular JaimeB who is very knowledgeable and who you would have enjoyed meeting.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Default Re: Trip to San Francisco

Sounds awesome. I'm from Cali originally also so I gotta go back and check out the SF frag scene too!!!