Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default When you're tired of subtlety

You know, some days I wake up and think, "My smeller needs a holiday - it's been working too damned hard lately trying to detect the most miniscule subtleties and infra-notes in all these fancy schmancy niche frags that I've been "spritzing" oh so dantily on my pulse points. It's time for a NOSE-CATION. A virtual punch in the nose with a straight forward technicolor beast of a scent that takes no thinking to enjoy. An olfactory fight club. Forget the first class seat on Air France, we're gonna ride the bus to snort town today, boys".

Today was just such a day, after an aphabet soup week of CDG's and L'AP's and MPG's, I slammed on some good old GUCCI POUR HOMME - and I mean lots of it.

The dogs have gone outside. The family has vanished. I am left bathing in all my hamster-cage glory as I ice down the beer and wait for the Daytona 500 to appear. It's one hell of a day in manville.

So what do you fellas slap on your bad selves when you need to prove that you can smell any damned way you please? - and smile when you say that, Pilgrim.

Default Re: When you're tired of subtlety

Bel Ami , my friend.., Bel Ami This one kicks ass! ( Jean Claude Elena , sniff and learn! )

Quote Originally Posted by eric
    Bel Ami , my friend.., Bel Ami * This one kicks ass! * ( Jean Claude Elena , sniff and learn! )
    You mean, "Bel ami, MON AMI..."

Yuk, Yuk. Sometimes I just Kill myself. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Angel Men, baby. It's a maximum-strength olfactory sensation.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

isn't doing this sort of.....obnoxious? If I 'slap' on a lot of envy, I start sneezing and feel alergic. What's the point of wasting good cologne, it's not like you'd go out in public like that, and if you did, you're a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by BusinessWallet
    isn't doing this sort of.....obnoxious? If I 'slap' on a lot of envy, I start sneezing and feel alergic. What's the point of wasting good cologne, it's not like you'd go out in public like that, and if you did, you're a jerk.
    You've completely missed sqboy1's point.

Envy
    JHL
    Visit
    Santal Noble

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist
    [quote author=BusinessWallet link=1140359677/0#4 date=1140361785]isn't doing this sort of.....obnoxious? If I 'slap' on a lot of envy, I start sneezing and feel alergic. What's the point of wasting good cologne, it's not like you'd go out in public like that, and if you did, you're a jerk.
    You've completely missed sqboy1's point.

Envy
    JHL
    Visit
    Santal Noble[/quote]

Yea, I really like Envy, too. The Gucci frags, IMHO, are all very, very good. Been wanting to try Santal Noble as well - does it have longevity? That seems to be my biggest problem in the winter with dry skin.

And Business Wallette - Easy there, pardner. My home on Sunday afternoon isn't usually a public place. 'Specially when the dogs and family are elsewhere. [smiley=beer.gif]

Yours Truly,
    STINKY

Quote Originally Posted by sqboy1
    [quote author=eric link=1140359677/0#1 date=1140360002]Bel Ami , my friend.., Bel Ami This one kicks ass! ( Jean Claude Elena , sniff and learn! )
    You mean, "Bel ami, MON AMI..."

Yuk, Yuk. Sometimes I just Kill myself. [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif][/quote]

LOL!

Trussardi Uomo
    Tuscany per Uomo Forte
    One Man Show
    Sung Homme
    Jules
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme

How do you like them cookies, sheriff?

Jeff

*Been wanting to try Santal Noble as well - does it have longevity?
    SN is one of the longest lasting frags I own. I think many here will attest to its longevity. Easily lasts at least 8 hours on my skin. Big sillage too.

And to give you an idea of what "longevity" and "sillage" means on me, I normally spray 2-5 sprays on various body and clothing parts - no more than 6 for any frag I own.

Serpent

Kingdom, baby. Kingdom.

tired of subtlety? BULGARI BLU except, I am tiring of that too quickly

ROCHAS LUI bought for those days

CARON ACACIOSA extrait - as a last resort! It's for women and the strongest I know
    of. If that is not perceived by anybody in the same room immediately, he/she must
    be brought to the nearest hospital immediately!!

'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Guerlain Vetiver makes me nearly euphoric. It's not the sillage monster like A*Men, but it is so sensual (clean and earthy) to me. I even spritz the back of my hand everytime before I go to bed and I sleep well.
    Peace ~ Markymark

the one and only * Kouros

Gucci Pour Homme, too, sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    the one and only * Kourus

Oh LORD! All bow to the mighty KOUROS

Now we're talking beast. Wondered how long it would take to come down to this.

...what this word SUBTLETY ?

Regards,
    SixCats!

Givenchy Gentleman does the job for me.

[quote author=foetidus link=1140359677/0#13 date=1140378590]the one and only * Kourus

Oh LORD! *All bow to the mighty KOUROS

Now we're talking beast. *Wondered how long it would take to come down to this.[/quote]

There were two things that came to mind as soon as I saw the title of this thread, Kouros and Antaeus. And with further thought, Trussardi Uomo, Yatagan and Bois du Portugal joined the list (though I cant say I would personally ever wear the last two...).

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats
    ...what this word SUBTLETY ?

Regards,
    SixCats!
    LOL Six, i wonder about that too. Most of my frags are heady and spicy, it's the only way to go imo.

That being said, when i need that one glorious punch to the nose, i spray a few squirts of Opium PH EDP to the chest. AHHHH!!!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

To SixCats: Tom! High Five, Man!! Sublety CAN be over-rated!!

The Brash and Bold, as follow:

Kingdom
    Cigar Aficionado
    Fendi Uomo
    Jacomo de Jacomo
    Black Cashmere
    Trussardi Uomo (tried a smidge of a sample!)

Ang more to discover, I'm sure!!

;D ;D ;D

Oh, i forgot to mention Basala, Santos Concentree. Masterpieces!

Trussardi Uomo is a great one too.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    CARON *ACACIOSA extrait - as a last resort! *It's for women and the strongest *I know
    *of. If that is not perceived by anybody in the same room immediately, he/she must
    *be brought to the nearest hospital immediately!! *
    ;D ;D ;D

L'Anarchiste or Musk Ravageur...
    At least it's enouth bathing in Fumerie Turque, isn't it? ;D

Look, if your goal is to vanquish subtlety, then go to your local drugstore and pick up a bottle of Brut, or Jade East or Dana's English Leather and put some REAL stank on it.

Griff
    Griff

I am ALWAYS tired of subtlety.

Hmmm...Yatagan for instance...

In fact, all of my top 10ers are strong enough, at least...

Some say "less is more", I say "too much is not enough."

In general, Idon't go for subtle frags either. I usually go for Gucci PH, Azzaro Visit, or Michael Kors. I've tried this with M7 also and gotten headaches....

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    I am ALWAYS tired of subtlety.

Yatagan? Subtle? Surely you jest! With all that potent celery sillage wafting six feet behind you?

On me Yatagan is about as subtle as trying to board a flight with a two foot scimitar poking out of your carry on bag.

Griff

Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Griff
    Look, if your goal is to vanquish subtlety, then go to your local drugstore and pick up a bottle of Brut, or Jade East or Dana's English Leather and put some REAL stank on it.

Griff
    For crying out loud, Griff. We do have some sense of decorum around here!

Egads man!! [smiley=shocked.gif]

No subtlety? Sounds like a job for:

Give a few liberal dashes of that and add a can of Natural Light, throw on a wife beater and boil up some hotdogs.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    No subtlety? *Sounds like a job for:

Give a few liberal dashes of that and add a can of Natural Light, throw on a wife beater and boil up some hotdogs. *
    Omygodomygodomygodomygodomygodomygodomygod........ ..........................

I bet this group of miscreants (basenoters) could throw one hell of a wild party - if the ventillation was adequate!

Serpent

Yatagan? Subtle? Surely you jest! * With all that potent celery sillage wafting six feet behind you?

On me Yatagan is about as subtle as trying to board a flight with a two foot scimitar poking out of your carry on bag.
    Strangely enough, on me, Yatagan is quite subtle. On friend once smelled it and said, "It's light and clean." No lie! Yatagan! It smells very much like clean earth on me after a half-hour or so, very ginseng-like. Animalic notes don't stand much chance on me - I must have some sort of grim reaper thing going on...

Good thread.
    I usually wear fragrance in very subtle amounts - less than a spray of most frags - but there are times when I can pile on the juice in private and really get the full experience of a fragrance. At those times I enjoy...

MPG's Eau des Îles
    Patou Pour Homme
    Bel Ami
    A*Men
    Or some sample I have been meaning to really try out...

Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Gucci PH
    Guerlain Derby
    Givenchy Gentleman
    and my newly purchased 5ml sample of Chanel Egoiste (which is no longer avilable in Australia)

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

oh yea!
    It would be something from Editions like Musc Ravageur, Noir Epices, hmmm.

Although I am also in lust with Tam Dao at the moment.

Well, I`m not so subtle usually wearing my fragrances.

But when I want to be a hard-stinker, I choose some of those
    Kouros YSL
    Route du Vetiver MPG
    some Aoud by Montale (Aoud cuir d`Arabie do the best!)
    some REAL Indian or Arabian ATTAR
    some BPAL - oh, my god, that stinks too far!!!!!!
    Cuir d`Espagne SMN
    Paco Rabanne por homme
    etc-etc-etc
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Sigh. I confess. Subtlety and me don't get along too good. I've tried, really I have but as a "friend" once said to me, "You really don't leave anything to the imagination, do you?"

I took it as an offhanded compliment that I recall every morning when I (over) spritz my self into an unavoidable and unsubtle scent statement. "Good morning world! It's a Kouros kinda day, donchyathink?"

Besides, if a fragrance sits too close to the skin, then others have to get uncomfortably close in order to appreciate it and I just don't enjoy that type of intimacy like I used to.

Griff

Griff

10 sprays of Kurous, 10 sprays of Salvador Dali pour homme, and 10 sprays of Platinum Egoiste, women, men, and skunks all faint when I walk into a room they are so overwhelmed by my presence.

If BANDIT doesn't kill the people in the room, it'll definitely make a great moth repellant!

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    If BANDIT doesn't kill the people in the room, it'll definitely make a great moth repellant!
    LOL!

And another vote for my favorite anti-sweet nasal decongestant, Jacomo de Jacomo. *

I'd also second Salvador Dali PH, *but beware of using it when the moon is full, the howling of the wolves may keep you awake all night . . .
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Yes, Kouros is the truth, the way, and the light...

We sleep 'scandinavian', ie. with eiderdown comforters, as many Europeans do, and occasionally I sprinkle cushions, bedcover and sheets with that plastic bottle, drugstore version of

BRUT !

I bet there is no fresher smelling bedroom within 100 miles' distance ! BTW, the regular version of Brut (clear glass, yellow liquid) ist still very nice, although, after they had to change the formula it can never be the original again.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

[quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1140359677/15#23 date=1140391241]I am ALWAYS tired of subtlety.

Yatagan? Subtle? Surely you jest! * With all that potent celery sillage wafting six feet behind you?

Griff

[/quote]

Griff, I guess you misunderstood because of my unclear comment...

I DON`T find Yatagan subtle at all. I meant that to be one of the scents against subtlety.
    Like I said, all of my top 10 frags seem to be quite potent, and last time I made that list here (few days ago) Yatagan was No.5.

Azzaro is the way, baby! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Griff, I guess you misunderstood because of my unclear comment...

I DON`T find Yatagan subtle at all. I meant that to be one of the scents against subtlety.
    Like I said, all of my top 10 frags seem to be quite potent, and last time I made that list here (few days ago) Yatagan was No.5.
    Thanks Pigeon Murder ("Poisoning Pigeons in the Park&quot. For a minute I thought we were both loosing our minds (and our noses).

"Oh that? Why Mr. TSA man... that's just my Yatagan..."
    Griff

KOUROS - and you can p*ss off, world!!

Sometimes I am even afraid to use it "against myself".

Mic.

Canoe!.......GAG! *I can't believe I wore that crap as a teenager and no, I would not wear it now even to 'yell' at "sublety ;D.

Now I'd choose this one.

Rive Gauche for Men by YSL. *Anyone else think it's a male version of Opium(for women) as I do?

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Blog Entries

[quote author=Griff link=1140359677/15#22 date=1140390717]Look, if your goal is to vanquish subtlety, then go to your local drugstore and pick up a bottle of Brut, or Jade East or Dana's English Leather and put some REAL stank on it.

Griff
    For crying out loud, Griff. *We do have some sense of decorum around here!

Egads man!! [smiley=shocked.gif][/quote]

Oi! You stop picking on my Dana EL *> I think this range is brilliant and especially love the Dana English Leather Spiced which is alll yummy gingerbread spice on my hot skin - sillage for MILES!!! *;D

Cool Water, Escape & Aqua di Gio have to be the most headache inducing, nausea increasing rank bunch of men's **** I know!! All with their fresh whiff of 'groin' *shudders. Why don't you pick on some of them!!!

:P

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

In terms of what smell I'd want to put on, I'd probably follow you guys with Bandit edt or Route du Vetiver, but to really answer the question, damn, when I'm going all out in my space and clearing my space, I pick a splash bottle.

The smell means less here. For me it's the tip of the bottle, turning the bottle upside down on my hand even, and then rubbing the stuff wherever I feel like itching the scratch. I do this with splash bottles of Molinard's Vetiver and Acqua di Parma Colonia original. Maybe the latter makes me smell like more of a lightweight compared to you power users, but I've got it in a giant bottle and it's fantastic and long lasting when splashed on. When my hands are still damp with these I run them through my hair and for the rest of the day I sing step-aside-let-the-man-go-through.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Aqua Di Gio. 2 squirts lasts all day, 10 clears the train, 20 brings in the HazMat team.

These days when I feel like getting down with my bad self, I'll use one of the following:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label
    Bond No. 9 Great Jones

In the days of my youth, however, it would have been:

Pierre Cardin
    Kouros
    Herrera for Men

The latter, in particular, has sillage measurable in megawatts and longevity in the order of glacial epochs....

I use M7 when I want to slap someone with my fragrance. It has a distinct smell about it that makes me feel like yelling I am a man and I will not wear something sweet or clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    Canoe!.......GAG! *I can't believe I wore that crap as a teenager and no, I would not wear it now even to 'yell' at "sublety ;D.
    My 82 yr. old step-dad has had the same bottle of Canoe for literally decades. I could swear that the last time he wore this, i was a child.

Hey, Canoe isn't bad at all, I salivated over this scent in the 80's, I think it was just the growing pains that we associated with it, that's all.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by kilted
    10 sprays of Kurous, 10 sprays of Salvador Dali pour homme, and 10 sprays of Platinum Egoiste, women, men, and skunks all faint when I walk into a room they are so overwhelmed by my presence.
    Oh... that's why it's since yesterday I can detect this stinky smell... Maybe I cand sniff your presence from here... ;D ;D ;D

Hey, what about Tabaróme, 1875 style?

I am not a fan of subtle scents, personally.
    But when I want to wear something bold, I go with Azzaro Visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis
    These days when I feel like getting down with my bad self, I'll use one of the following:

Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Purple Label
    Bond No. 9 Great Jones

And I want your phone number.....

~ 3rd Man
    ~ L'Anarchiste
    ~ Tabaróme original
    ~ Body Kouros
    ~ Rive Gauche Pour Homme

And, when I'm wearing a 3-piece suit and want to smell extra stuffy, I'll throw on some Héritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Octothorpe
    ~ 3rd Man
    ~ L'Anarchiste
    ~ Tabaróme original
    ~ Body Kouros
    ~ Rive Gauche Pour Homme

And, when I'm wearing a 3-piece suit and want to smell extra stuffy, I'll throw on some Héritage. *
    There we go.......so send your no., too!

I was thinking of heavy orientals when I first answered this thread. But today I packed on a lot of Paco XS and would definately say this fits the bill too.

I´d say anything Villoresi. Especially Incensi - darn nice though - cinnamon action.

MMM