Code of Conduct

Thread: Purple Label

Default Purple Label

This hasn't been talked about much lately. I had it a couple of years ago when it came out. I am trying to decide if it is worth the repurchase. I miss the mahogany note and the overall smell conveys refinement and character. What do you think? Is it too subtle?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Purple Label

While visiting New York city after Purple Label's launch, I decided to walk the 12 or 80 blocks, I forget how many, to buy it directly from the boutique.

I remembered Monogram and its amazing staying power so I thought Purple Label would be similiar as a higher-end Ralph Lauren fragrance.

But it was a let down. Immediate evaporation of the top notes within minutes and not much of a body to talk about for the remainder.

I'd try something else.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Post Thanks / Like

I've read a few members compare Purple Label to Bleeker Street by Bond No 9. Haven't tried Purple Label myself so I don't know how true this is.

I love it. I find it similar in character to Green Irish Tweed, although many of the notes are different - it's bright and sharp but with a bit of depth. It lasts for ages on me.

Post Thanks / Like

The sample I had was incredibly weak--smelled like water that had a leaf soaking in it. It lasted 10 minutes at the most. I suspected some quality control problems at the factory. I haven't had a chance to test it from another source since.

It seems the bottle I had 2 years ago projected very weak but I recall a friend smelling it on me. I still haven't bought that bottle of Kouros yet, maybe I should get that instead? Who knows.......

Quote Originally Posted by foetidus
    The sample I had was incredibly weak--smelled like water that had a leaf soaking in it. *It lasted 10 minutes at the most. *I suspected some quality control problems at the factory. *I haven't had a chance to test it from another source since.

This was my experience as well. A really boring scent IMO. I just didn't like it at all. Sad, because I was anticipating its release, but when I sampled it, I was like "That's all there is?" Not a classy enough scent for the whole Purple Label thing the were trying to convey. A real misfire.
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

" Wow that smells really nice...wait...where did it go?!"

I have no time for such fleeting scents. I need more bang for my buck.

This scent brings me more compliments than all of my frags put together. I quit counting a long time ago.
    This has great staying power...... on me. I also use the after shave balm.
    I'm not afraid to spray this scent. I watch guys at the mall as they spray their favorite scent....they spray 2 sprays.....The old reply to this is .....Why bother?
    This is one of my faves....... Gary

I have neglected this one lately. Great scent, very dry, woody. I don't have longevity problems with this one, just regular stayingpower.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Purple Label & Monogram

I still have a bottle (well half) of Ralph Lauren Monogram from the mid 80s. *I purchased it at Marshall Fields here in Chicago. *It is absolutely the perfect fragrance for me. *I love it and always get complements, even from strangers on the bus, when I wear it.

At first I thought Purple Label might be Monogram reincarnated because the liquid fragrance Monogram was (and still is) amethyst in color. *Apparently Purple Label has nothing to do with Monogram.

Are there many other guys (or gals!) out there who miss Monogram as I do? *If so, can we petition Ralph Lauren to bring it back! *Monograpm is in its own class. *Let's see if we can have it revived!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    [quote author=foetidus link=1147204925/0#4 date=1147250820]The sample I had was incredibly weak--smelled like water that had a leaf soaking in it. *It lasted 10 minutes at the most. *I suspected some quality control problems at the factory. *I haven't had a chance to test it from another source since.

This was my experience as well. *A really boring scent IMO. *I just didn't like it at all. *Sad, because I was anticipating its release, but when I sampled it, I was like "That's all there is?" *Not a classy enough scent for the whole Purple Label thing the were trying to convey. *A real misfire.[/quote]

I think of Purple Lable like Boss's Baldessarini of last year and Selection this year. Don't be fooled by the hooplah pumped up to be on par with Creed'$ $elf-promotion. Modern Ralph Laurens and Bosses will always be on the second to bottom shelf of the department stores, with only Kenneth Cole to look down upon.

Quote Originally Posted by ikkitosennomusha
    This hasn't been talked about much lately. I had it a couple of years ago when it came out. I am trying to decide if it is worth the repurchase. I miss the mahogany note and the overall smell conveys refinement and character. What do you think? Is it too subtle?
    I've got a nearly full 2.5 oz bottle. Care to buy/swap?

There is no Nose....