Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Smelled new L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe today

There was only a tester of the new Fou d'Absinthe ("Absinth-Crazy&quot from L'Artisan Parfumeur, but I got a couple of whiffs, first on paper and then on my skin. BTW, the name comes from the madness induced among drinkers of absinth liqueur back around the 1890's. The liqueur was flavored with anise and wormwood, the latter turning out to be poisonous and destroying brain cells. (Never mind what the alcohol was doing!) The new EdT smells like Pernod, a modern absinth taste-alike (without the poison), hence the name.

On the paper, the only thing I got at first was cedar or cypress... on the skin, first impression was more confused, didn't seem very strong, and couldn't detect anything beyond a vague coniferous scent, but much less straightforward than on the paper.

As the stuff warmed on my skin, though, it definitely developed a kind of anise/licorice/Pernod note, which seemed to me to be mixed with a little juniper berry. It was calling to mind a couple of Creeds: the Baie de Genièvre, and the Cyprès-Musc. Not too similar to either, but just a sense-impression. Even so, in the dry-down, there seems to be something of the Creed signature: a little dry, a little woody.

On the whole, not bad. I can still smell it, though much reduced, after about 2.5 hours.

Definitely worth a look, but if it had been in stock, I don't think I would have bought it today... So, I, too, will give it another look when it comes in stock at Neiman's in June.

Last edited by JaimeB; 26th October 2009 at 10:46 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Default Re: Smelled new L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe today

the name only is very cool.
    so does it make you mysterious, addictive, and did it give you mind-altering dreams?
    i just have to get this!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux
    the name only is very cool.
    so does it make you *mysterious, addictive, and did it give you mind-altering dreams?
    i just have to get this!
    In answer to your questions: Yes. No. I haven't been to sleep since I smelled it. I let my honey smell it after work, and the comment was, "It smells like Ajax cleanser." I had to marry somebody with no nose for scents...

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Sounds intriguing with that strange development and the aniseed/wormwood note that I adore. Pretty much everything in your description are keywords to things I like: woody, dry, wormwood, cedar, coniferous.

I'll keep my eyes out for this one.

BTW, sounds very unlike all other L'Artisan scents, doesn't it?

There was an article about Olivia Giacobetti's creations in a Belgian magazine, and Fou d'Absinthe is one of them (which confirms NowSmellThis' article). Yet I was almost sure I read somewhere that it was from someone else, but don't recall who.

The friendly and knowledgeable (!) SA at Barney's gave me a couple samples of this the other day, and Ive been wearing it the last few days. I like it a lot, but I don't detect much anise or wormwood or anything like that. Its herby and woody and the #1 most masculine L'Artisan I have found, but not terribly absinthy. Best projection of any L'Artisan too. Anybody else with new info?

I've had a sample of this from L'Artisan for a while. I wore it a couple of times and will agree it's one of the more masculine L'Artisan scents (in the traditional sense). I get some anise from it, probably more so than wormwood. It's not as bitter as other wormwoods I've smelled (including that schnapps from Sweden). I also agree with a lot of JaimeB's notes. There's a light woodsy quality that kind of reminded me of Gucci PH, only with the herbal quality of the anise/wormwood/whatever. Not a lot of development on me - beyond the topnotes burning off - just sort of a fading out over time. The dealbreaker for me was the longevity, which was close to nonexistent.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I've had a sample of this from L'Artisan for a while. *I wore it a couple of times and will agree it's one of the more masculine L'Artisan scents (in the traditional sense). I get some anise from it, probably more so than wormwood. *It's not as bitter as other wormwoods I've smelled (including that schnapps from Sweden). *I also agree with a lot of JaimeB's notes. *There's a light woodsy quality that kind of reminded me of Gucci PH, only with the herbal quality of the anise/wormwood/whatever. *Not a lot of development on me - beyond the topnotes burning off - just sort of a fading out over time. *The dealbreaker for me was the longevity, which was close to nonexistent. *

very traditional, very conventional frankly. It smells great, but its more "barbershop" than "bohemian dive". I was reminded a bit of Rive Gauche in this sense. Kind of disappointing actually. I'd like it a lot more if it had a different name, because twisted on mind-bending drugs this scent ain't.

Fou D'Absinthe seems very cool to me. It feels so much like Morning. Such a clean and 'unblemished' composition. The 'Wormwood/Anise' combination are beguiling in their 'Now you notice-Now you don't' effect.

To me, this fragrance seems a most perfect 'Barbershop' choice , where the stuffy connotations of the description are easily forgotten and replaced by an assured contemporary confidence.

Fou has ventured where Biche faltered and has profited from the risk in my opinion.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

The new EdT smells like Pernod, a modern absinth taste-alike (without the poison), hence the name.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________

To JaimeB: Was it an EDT? I thought, it's in EDP strenght only. And: thank you for your review :-) .

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggy

The new EdT smells like Pernod, a modern absinth taste-alike (without the poison), hence the name.

To JaimeB: Was it an EDT? I thought, it's in EDP strenght only. And: thank you for your review :-) .
    Yes, they say it's an EdP, but it's not especially long-lasting, which I would have expected from an EdP. Any way, in the AP pricing structure, it's the equivalent of the "Extrême" series, $90 US for the 50 ml., and $125 US for the 100 ml.

I want to give it another chance before I definitely decide against it. The truth is l'AP has a rep for scents that aren't very long-lasting, though some, like L'Eau de l'Artisan, are not too bad in this respect. We'll see, i guess...

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    [quote author=iggy link=1147738525/0#9 date=1149707183]

Yes, they say it's an EdP, but it's not especially long-lasting, which I would have expected from an EdP. Any way, in the AP pricing structure, it's the equivalent of the "Extrême" series, $90 US for the 50 ml., and $125 US for the 100 ml.

I want to give it another chance before I definitely decide against it. The truth is l'AP has a rep for scents that aren't very long-lasting, though some, like L'Eau de l'Artisan, are not too bad in this respect. We'll see, i guess...

[/quote]

But being as L'edL'A is following the mold of classical Eaux de Colognes, its batting in a weaker league. To be sure, L'Artisans' longevity is below par, thats just part of the deal, but thats a bigger liability when its sold as an EdP vs. as a modern heir to 4711.

wow, thats a lot of sports-related mixed metaphors