Code of Conduct

Default MUST HAVE SUMMER SCENTS: Signoricci

A popular scent that has been the topic of many threads here at Basenotes, Nina Ricci's SIGNORICCI is by far one of the most beautiful citrus scents I've encountered. A staple of mine when first discovered about 10 years ago, a bottle has always managed to be present in my wardrobe, and this summer I once again enjoyed the perfection of this timeless scent.

ImaginationPerfumery.com writes

Launched in 1965 by designer Nina Ricci, this masculine cologne for men has an attitude and personality like no other. The ingredients used to compose this fragrance like Haitian Vetiver and Exotic Woods make it an
    extraordinary, charming, captivating scent.

FRAGRANCE NOTES - Mandarin, Petitgrain, Sage, Alpine Lavender, Haitian Vetiver, Exotic Woods, Oak Moss.

Both Osmoz.com and Imagination list a different array of notes for this scent, but here's the lowdown. A citrus opening that doesn't remind me of bathroom cleaner, that gives way to a fresh herbal middle that is slightly green, ending in a light trail of white woods (I *think* birch or cedar and sandalwood) and vetiver that lasts and lasts and lasts.

To me this scent is a breath of quiet sophistication that no other fragrance manages to capture. As easily worn with shorts and sandals as with a business suit, I feel it is also extremely versatile...and considering that it was created 40 years ago, let me add one more adjective - timeless.

The scent has been rebottled, and is available at Imaginationperfumery.com for $42.99 for a 3.4 oz edt spray, and worth every penny.

How does this compare with scents like Creed MI or Annick Goutal's Hadrien?

Signoricci is primarily a citrus scent, but the warmer wood notes and vetiver in the base (and by the way, I'm not a vetiver fan, and here, the note is barely detectable as it merges harmoniously with the other basenotes) provide depth and fullness that other scents don't have. Where Eau d'Hadrien stops at being a lemon scent, and has trouble lasting on my skin, and Creed's citrus scents usually offer a complex millesime base, Signoricci is so much more, offering a more complete composition and a gentle, comforting warmth in the basenotes. Every time I wear it, I feel relaxed and comfortable.

What's the difference between Ricci Club and Signoricci?

Ricci Club was one of the first oceanic scents of the late 80's, and is much more about the fresher notes juxtaposed against a woodsy base. Though similar in composition, and close in the drydown, I find Ricci Club to be sweeter, perhaps due to the addition of grapefruit and marine in the topnotes and cinnamon in the middle. Signoricci is smoother and lighter.

marlen

Default Re: MUST HAVE SUMMER SCENTS: Signoricci

Erm, its nearly autumn [smiley=undecided.gif]

But I do love this one!

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    Erm, its nearly autumn [smiley=undecided.gif]

that's cause u live at the top of the world!!! (oh no, now I have Karen Carpenter in my head)

90F today in Osaka and steamy!

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    [quote author=CoL link=1124669351/0#1 date=1124669430]Erm, its nearly autumn [smiley=undecided.gif]

that's cause u live at the top of the world!!! (oh no, now I have Karen Carpenter in my head)

[/quote]
    Oh yes, looking (down) down on creation thats the only explanation I can find.....

Well its still 70 here, not for long I guess.

[quote author=scenteur7 link=1124669351/0#2 date=1124669819][quote author=CoL link=1124669351/0#1 date=1124669430]Erm, its nearly autumn [smiley=undecided.gif]

[/quote]
    Oh yes, looking (down) down on creation thats the only explanation I can find.....

Well its still 70 here, not for long I guess.[/quote]

LOL! Glad I'm not the only one who knows the rest of that lyric!

Oh!
    Note to UK Noters, there selling this NIB in Savers (chemist thingy) for £12:99 for a 100ml! WOO HOO!

Savers? I've never heard of it....they have an online site or anything, store locator? That's a great price and I want some!

Oh!
    Note to UK Noters, there selling this NIB in Savers (chemist thingy) for £12:99 for a 100ml! WOO HOO!
    Wow!! Savers here I come....

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo
    Savers? I've never heard of it....they have an online site or anything, store locator? That's a great price and I want some!
    No online store, its a drug store chain in the UK, bit like Superdrug but 1/4 of the price!

Heres a Yell.com list of the UK branches

http://search.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearch...mp;Submit.y=16

Talking about where ppl come from... I think I'll start a new thread

The cross Channel ferries stock it as well. I bought mine last year for £14.00.

Perhaps someone can clarify the difference between Signoricci and Signoricci2. I have read they are the same but I have a mini of S2 and a sample of S and much prefer the sample of Signoricci. The difference could be age , storage or lot but they are quite different to my nose (S2 is more citrus while S is grassier/woodier). Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    Perhaps someone can clarify the difference between Signoricci and Signoricci2. *I have read they are the same but I have a mini of S2 and a sample of S and much prefer the sample of Signoricci. *The difference could be age , storage or lot but they are quite different to my nose (S2 is more citrus while S is grassier/woodier). *Any thoughts?
    Check out the Directory - it gives an explanation - if you can follow it!

Trot

... it's the love that I've found, ever since you've been around ...

Any idea what frag Karen used to wear?

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzcut
    [quote author=CoL link=1124669351/0#5 date=1124670419]Oh yes, looking (down) down on creation thats the only explanation I can find.....

... it's the love that I've found, ever since you've been around ...

Any idea what frag Karen used to wear?[/quote]

ooooohhhhh! That's a great question! I'll look into it!

marlen

Quote Originally Posted by Setamp
    Perhaps someone can clarify the difference between Signoricci and Signoricci2. I have read they are the same but I have a mini of S2 and a sample of S and much prefer the sample of Signoricci. The difference could be age , storage or lot but they are quite different to my nose (S2 is more citrus while S is grassier/woodier). Any thoughts?
    [blue]Glad to oblige my friend.

All the contemporary renditions of the fragrance that go by the name of *Signoricci* are actually *Signoricci 2* reworked a little. The original *Signoricci 2* is a little more musky throughout the drydown with a wood note that has an interesting smokiness to it and which is a throw back to the original *Signoricci* fragrance of 1965); the reworked *Signoricci 2* (a.k.a. the contemporary *Signoricci*, which is slightly more citrusy and greener and more woodsy, as you note) is less musky, less smoky, throughout the drydown and heavier on the vetiver and sandalwood in the base; both are beautiful scents, and although the muskiness of *Signoricci 2* (original formulation) is a tad too animalic for me at the beginning, its drydown more than compensates and is far superior, more delicate, and far more original that the contemporary, reworked, *Signoricci*, but isn't this always the case with original and reworked renditions?

The history goes like this:

First there was the original Signoricci fragrance, *Signoricci* (1965)

Then there was *Signoricci 2* (1976)

When *Signoricci 2* was released the original 1965 version was renamed *Signoricci 1*.

When *Signoricci 1* was discontinued, *Signoricci 2* was renamed *Signoricci* and slightly reworked.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

scentemental[/blue]

Just snapped up a bottle at Savers - what an odd assortment of things they had - and as predicted it was only £12.99!
    Trot [smiley=grin.gif]

i have the new signoricci but don't wear it much lately as i live in a cool climate and don't use citruses much. excellent fragrance though. classy and good all-around. easily one of the best citruses out there. hard not to like this one. glad to own it. feels good to have it on.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html