Code of Conduct

Default a word in praise of shoddy longevity

My recent Envyus-like love-affair with L'Artisan has made me reconsider short-lasting frags. Let me explain:
    People often criticize fragrances for their short duration (think Armani Mania, Creed SMW or MI, Eau Sauavge or all L'Artisans) and while its a valid objection to raise, I've come to see it differently. In the Outside World, where men spray their signature in the morning an never think of it again, it makes sense. You want bang for your buck. But here within Basenotes, we have a different thing going on. Wearing as many different frags as we do (which could be considered indecisive, compulisve or schizophrenic elsewhere; I prefer to think of it as appreciating the variety of experience) makes a short-lasting frag a pleasure. I like to enjoy something for a couple hours, and then enjoy something else. When you have 50 frags in your wardrobe, isn't it really a waste to wear Gaultier2 or The Dreamer for 24+ hours when, in the same time, you could easily wear Mania, then SMW, then MI, then Eau Sauvage, then Dzing!, then Tea for Two, then Navegar and finally Patchouli Patch?

Default Re: a word in praise of shoddy longevity

I find myself generally in agreement with Joel_Cairo. I think when I started out I wanted frags to have a lot of duration. The "bang for the buck" argument held sway with me.

Now I have a ridiculous number of frags. It is on hot summer days that I have the opportunity to enjoy a number of them ... they just burn out. I think yesterday (or the day before) I wore Caron PUH, Acqua di Selva, Monsieur de Givenchy, Chrome, Kouros Cologne Sport, and Photo. Oi!

There are times (especially when working) that I'd prefer something with a longer life though. Reapplication can just get in the way of work.

I think with short-lived, linear frags switching between frags might be easier. I'm more inclined to enjoy the development of a non-linear frag and hope it lasts on my skin so I can appreciate it.
    *K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Kerr makes a good point. Unless one has some decants or samples, longevity is probably a good thing at work. But then again we all do, don't we?

I see exactly what your point is... it is a good one. It makes perfect sense.

I don't see how people would want to give up such amazing fragrances because they are short lived or don't last the entire day. That is a waste of some very amazing smells IMO. It would be wrong to judge them based on their longevity. I found a secret about L'Artisans and it is that you have to put your shirt on right after you spray and give another shot to the upper chest of the shirt. The scent will last so much longer.

I think that L'Artisans wear close to the skin so they feel like they are not there or they don't put out much sillage. It is unfortunate that such beautifully blended fragrances have this curse but that shouldn't stop us, who can see the beauty in fragrances more clearly from realizing their potential. They are "event Frags" because they are good for going to an event. That is the amount of time they will last.

I wouldn't wear more than one in one day like Joel_C might want to do but they are perfect for short daily things that have to be done. Take a shower and apply a new one to wear for the evening.

Longevity is nice but amazing fragrances should not be overlooked based soley on that fact that they are short lived! This is all in my humble opinion of course....

EnvYuS

I get your point, but I don't think it's a strategy that works for me. I'm too paranoid to re-apply because I may be experiencing olfactory fatigue. I had an event where I re-applied Chanel Pour Monsieur and things went badly and I continue to suspect that I was experiencing fatigue and was a chyprey storm.

That said, I do like and own Eau Sauvage even though it doesn't last and as a note, on me, Tea for Two goes the distance. I get a good 5-6 hours out of it.

Nothing wrong with being promiscuous and playing the field, but I want to decide when to break up--I don't want to be the one getting dumped.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Joel: *Have you experenced Timbuktu by L/a? *I have had a sample dab on the top of my hand yesterday and now again today. *It lasts at least for 12 hours on me and I am in 'lust' of it . *It's my first L/a so the others may not be long lasting but this wonderful and pleasing frag is and it's in my Top 5 as I await it's arrival next week.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Why So Serious?

Phil, I agree with your thoughts. *With a big wardrobe and a developed taste, i cannot see myself enjoy just one frag through a 24-hour period. *Whenever i wear a frag that is long lasting such as Le Male, Opium and A*men, i find myself urging for other thrills, thus i often spray a few others on my wrists, this way i can enjoy something else along with the main course. *Therefore, i guess this is the ideal situation where the short-lasting fragrances come in. *Also, i guess some niche houses have a different strategy to attract attention. *I think some of them made their frags short-lasting purposely, this way it bugs the sh*t out of people, it annoys them and makes them paranoid because they want to spray it more and more to experience what the scent is all about, it creates a sense of mysetery and curiosity around the wearer. *This is like reverse psychology, sometimes you desparately want the stuff that are intangible more, same goes with lasting power, the less it lasts the more you want to smell it and the more attention this particular frag is getting. *The ones that last very long you'd get sick of them quite fast and overwhelms you quickly. *Playing hard to get is effective somehow, even in the fragrance industry. *A true master doesn't just show you the way, he'd let your mind develop where soon enough you are able to see the path yourself.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Byerley
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I understand the premise, but for me personally, nothing is more frustrating than a scent that is gone in a few hours.

Like my new CM Greenbriar that is now on the Swap board. It's a great scent, FOR AN HOUR!! Then you can barely smell it. That doesn't cut it for me. I'd rather wear JOOP!!

The subtle stuff is starting to get on my nerves. For me, at least, there's no point.

I want my wife to be able to smell my cologne when I greet her in the evening, so 8 hour duration is a key for me.

Hm, I never thought of it that way. That's pretty good reasoning behind scents with poor longevity. However, when one applies more then one scent every few hours, shouldn't one shower and/or change his shirt? Wouldn't the previous scent get mixed in with the clothing or still be on your skin? I try to keep one scent a day because of this. Also, it is somewhat inconvenient to keep changing scents unless I carry all the fragrances around with me in a backpack or something haha.

Wouldn't carrying a card sprayed with G≤ enable one to switch it on/off? I think it's sad when a scent is gone to quickly (esp. when it's an expensive niche frag), I consider it a part of my outfit, and you don't always carry your collection with you to reapply something else. I'm happy enough to have day-to-day-variation rather than hour-to-hour.

I like the shorter lived frags too. For work I go with longer lasting fresh scents to get me through the day. By the time I get home, they are longer present, and I get to apply a new shorter lasting scent that last for me up to bedtime. Before going to bed, I wear a different scent that helps me sleep.

It's great to be able to wear 3 or more fragrances in one day, especially as your wardrobe gets larger.

Overall I like the idea. Two things that get me though are the fact that im never home to re-apply something new and I, sadly, do not have enough frags to even think of trying this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    However, when one applies more then one scent every few hours, shouldn't one shower and/or change his shirt? Wouldn't the previous scent get mixed in with the clothing or still be on your skin? I try to keep one scent a day because of this. Also, it is somewhat inconvenient to keep changing scents unless I carry all the fragrances around with me in a backpack or something haha.
    This would be my argument against this practice. While one's nose may not detect the scent any longer, it is not unreasonable to think the scent is still present in some amount, and that it may mix poorly with whatever scent is applied on top of it. For this reason, I like to wear only one scent per day, unless I am testing them out and have one on each arm or something.

I also agree it would be inconvenient for me to carry around multiple scents, even decants, and then find a place to apply them discreetly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW
    I understand the premise, but for me personally, nothing is more frustrating than a scent that is gone in a few hours.

The subtle stuff is starting to get on my nerves. For me, at least, there's no point.
    What he said.

I usually endure the openings of fragrances. I like the middle stages and the dry down of a fragrance the most, and I like them rich and complex and long lasting so that I'm constantly finding new subtleties. *The subleties are what intrigue, not the superficial and short lived. *

This is the same thing I was getting at with this thread

http://www.basenotes.net/community/Y...1148042209/1#1

but you have expressed it so much better.

Thanks. .
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Disagree strongly.
    Who's going to carry three of four different short lived fragrances to work every day in order to enjoy each for a couple of hours? Who's going to carry two or three short lived ones to a night club in order to enjoy them there?

I can see that if you are stuck at home on a freezing weekend with nothing much better to do, you might want to muck around with a few short lived ones to pass away the hours, but I wouldn't be buying or praising scents just for that.

The only use I've found for such useless short lasting scents is when I go shopping on Saturday afternoon - as I know I'll be having a shower later on before I go out Saturday night - no point applying and then washing off really good long lasting scents.
    Renato