Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1. #1

    Default Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Just a quick though on this issue. *Do you have any thought of it that slight earthquake might occurs and your beautiful bottles fall from your wardrope and break in little tiny pieces, scents mixed and you find yourself sitting on the floor, wishing it didn't happen and about to faint soon.

    I'm thinking about it as nowadays there are many natural disasters haunting people around the world. *At least, I keep them in the drawer, not in the wardrope, I think it will help a bit. *Soon I will buy the air bubble to wrap them up, for anything can happen I think it worths the effort for being preventive.

    Have you ever thought about it? *Or you are 100% certain that your area will never have anything to do with earthquake? *
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  2. #2

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    An earthquake isn't going to happen in my country... at least for the next few milleniums

  3. #3

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    I have renters insurance and I think it applies to earthquakes.

    my insurance agent is an idiot though. When i was getting my insurance and stating my possessions, i half-jokingly said i owned 10,000 CDs when I only have about 1,500. But the agent started figuring out the premium for 10,000 CD's. When I told him that I didn't have that many, he said he had to go with that number-- he gave me some BS reason why that was what he had to do.

    I just paid my insurance for another year, and I realized that I should include my colognes as a collection. I'd be bummed if something happened to my wardrobe and my stupid insurance agent tried to debate my claim. I need to get my wardrobe insured.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    An earthquake destroying my collection I would look upon as God's will and I would stop collecting.
    Arte et labore

  5. #5

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    Or you are 100% certain that your area will never have anything to do with earthquake?
    I`m quite sure, yes.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Put them on the floor and they can't fall off the shelf! Then what would happen to them... the tip over?

    EnvYuS

  7. #7

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...


    Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    Have you ever thought about it? *
    No. *I'm thinking Indie Guy's insurance agent is an idiot. Maybe he should switch to State Farm or something.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    Just a quick though on this issue. Do you have any thought of it that slight earthquake might occurs and your beautiful bottles fall from your wardrope and break in little tiny pieces, scents mixed and you find yourself sitting on the floor, wishing it didn't happen and about to faint soon.

    I'm thinking about it as nowadays there are many natural disasters haunting people around the world. At least, I keep them in the drawer, not in the wardrope, I think it will help a bit. Soon I will buy the air bubble to wrap them up, for anything can happen I think it worths the effort for being preventive.

    Have you ever thought about it? Or you are 100% certain that your area will never have anything to do with earthquake?
    There are two cases: if all my beloved remain unhurt -and I myself add to that any living creature - then no loss of the frags would make any pain. If however people die, loose their homes, etc. then no loss of the frags would make any pain. But this is just me.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    There will never be an earthquake in Boston MA, but if there were a hurricane, I'd go to safety, and repurchase some later. It would hurt, but maybe I just have a well developed fight or flight response.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bottoni
    [quote author=KiatBkk link=1149413606/0#0 date=1149413605]Have you ever thought about it? *
    No. *I'm thinking Indie Guy's insurance agent is an idiot. Maybe he should switch to State Farm or something.
    [/quote]


    LOL! he IS State Farm. I used to have a great agent in Illinois, but when I moved to St. Louis, I had to get an agent in Missouri. I'm not too impressed with my new guy. He strikes me as having a George Jefferson mentality, and if I were to ever need to file a claim, I get the impression that I would get more of a roundabout than I would with my old agent. I should probably just switch agents, but I don't have a concrete reason for leaving, just a gut feeling.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Hi Sandy, yes, I know that frags are not that important. So, I only said, if there were a slight earthquake. Maybe I used inappropriate language but English is my second tongue.
    Current Top 5

    1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

  12. #12

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    I faced this type of situation during Katrina (so, obviously, no, I'm not worried about earthquakes). We are used to evacuating for hurricanes all the time, and you don't bring much with you when you do. I happened to grab two frags (neither one close to being my HG frag), thinking I would be back in the next day or two, as usual. I ended up having to go a few weeks not knowing if my house had flooded or was damaged because no one was allowed back into the city for quite a while. Honestly, I did think about my frags (and I felt guilty for doing so at the time) and I was upset about them because I do have a ton and I have spent a lot of years collecting them. Luckily, my house did not flood (a miracle) and despite the large number of trees in my yard, they all fell in just the right spots (not one fell on the roof) and no windows were blown out. My frags had not suffered any damage, other than sitting in a hot house for a few weeks.

    But, honestly, after having to consider that they really may all be gone, it didn't make me more than mildly upset because when a disaster that large occurs, it sort of puts things in perspective. My frags being destroyed would have been the least of my problems if my house had flooded.

    My sister lost her home and everything in it because of the flooding after Katrina. I've heard her cry over quite a few items, but never her perfumes.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Ted,

    I'd double check your insurance. A guy I've known since 4th grade is my insurance agent and he had to write in the earthquake protection after there was fairly large (ie it rattled my china cabinet) about 100 miles from here in Ottawa. Joel added it (for no cost) as the way it was written before, in this area, earthquakes are considered an infamous "act of god' by the insurance companies. Since Chicago is not on a major fault it is consequently not covered. With you being fairly close to the New Madrid fault, I'd look into it....especially if the guy is an idiot as you said.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    Hi Sandy, yes, I know that frags are not that important. So, I only said, if there were a slight earthquake. Maybe I used inappropriate language but English is my second tongue.
    All right English being my second language I understand you. Just be careful not to allow any of your hobbies overwhelm your thoughts or your life.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    [quote author=Bottoni link=1149413606/0#6 date=1149424539]
    [quote author=KiatBkk link=1149413606/0#0 date=1149413605]Have you ever thought about it?
    No. I'm thinking Indie Guy's insurance agent is an idiot. Maybe he should switch to State Farm or something.
    [/quote]


    LOL! he IS State Farm. I used to have a great agent in Illinois, but when I moved to St. Louis, I had to get an agent in Missouri. I'm not too impressed with my new guy. He strikes me as having a George Jefferson mentality, and if I were to ever need to file a claim, I get the impression that I would get more of a roundabout than I would with my old agent. I should probably just switch agents, but I don't have a concrete reason for leaving, just a gut feeling. [/quote]


    Hey Indie...if you're considering a swap, let me know. I can recommend someone really great.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    I have renters insurance and I think it applies to earthquakes.

    my insurance agent is an idiot though. *When i was getting my insurance and stating *my possessions, i half-jokingly said i owned 10,000 CDs when I only have about 1,500. *But the agent started figuring out the premium for 10,000 CD's. *When I told him that I didn't have that many, he said he had to go with that number-- he gave me some BS reason why that was what he had to do.
    Are you paying *a larger amount for your insurance for 10,000 CD's than you would if your insurance were only for 1,500 CD's?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    I live in SoCal, so yes, I do think of it. I usually decant a small amount that I keep out and handy: the bottles are in the box in a bottom drawer of my closet.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Earthquake, your juices collected for years...

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    Ted,

    I'd double check your insurance. *A guy I've known since 4th grade is my insurance agent and he had to write in the earthquake protection after there was fairly large (ie it rattled my china cabinet) about 100 miles from here in Ottawa. *Joel added it (for no cost) as the way it was written before, in this area, earthquakes are considered an infamous "act of god' by the insurance companies. * Since Chicago is not on a major fault it is consequently not covered. *With you being fairly close to the New Madrid fault, I'd look into it....especially if the guy is an idiot as you said. *

    That's a good point. I'm going to look into it. I do worry sometimes about being on the New Madrid fault. I remember when I was in high school, there was some seismologist who predicted a major earthquake in the St. Louis area on December 4th, I think. A ridiculous thing to try to predict. Nonetheless, people skipped school that day.

    It is something I think about sometimes.

    Yeah, I am somewhat dissatisfied with my agent; I just don't like the way he comes off.

    Also, one of the things that makes me mad is the stupid high deductible on my car insurance since I moved to downtown St. Louis, versus what I paid in small town Illinois. It makes me mad that I'm SOL if some hoodrat decides to smash my window out for some loose change. They already broke the spoiler off of my Celica, and I didn't feel like spending the money out of pocket to get it fixed. My agent told me my deductible is $500 whether my car is moving or not. Does this sound right? I'm no expert, but I thought there was sometimes a distinction.

    Meanwhile my brother who lives with me, had his window smashed in our parking lot and his insurance company Country Companies(the office was in Illinois, and his car was still registered in Illinois) paid for the whole thing. He even got his deductible recouped). They really took care of him. Meanwhile my agent basically told me that if I had my car broken into that it would be tough luck. I hate it.

    The ironic thing is that where I lived in Illinois was in Madison County, which is NOTORIOUS for it's lawsuit crazy ways. It's a frivolous lawsuit paradise. Personal injury, malpractice you name it (oh, I could tell you guys some REAL stories about Madison County--also, doctors are fleeing in exodus to other states because of the sky-high malpractice premiums)....and still my insurance premiums were much less than in St. Louis.

    So yeah, I am going to look into getting a different agent. I like State Farm in general, I just don't like my agent. I wonder if I could just switch to another State Farm agent.

    Who do you have Dr. Bubba? Send me an IM if you want and let me know who you have.

    Actually I'm thinking about building a big shelf for my drobe. Right now most of my stuff is on the floor in a big cardboard box. I would definitely want to have every assurance that my collection would be covered if an earthquake toppled such a shelf.

    I'm a procrastinator, but I think I should get around to looking for a different insurance agent. I'd like to remain with State Farm if I could, but it's not set in stone.


    Oh, and to answer your question Rockford, yes my premium is higher because of the "10,000 CD's " thing. It's not too bad, my renters insurance is reasonable--about $170 for a year. The stuff I'm most concerned about is my music equipment-guitars, keyboards, digital recording equipment etc. But i've blown a big wad on my colognes and I need to get them listed as assets. Of course we'll see what happens if the sh*t ever hits the fan and I need to file a claim.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •