Code of Conduct

Default Do you have a plan or goal for your wardrobe?

Do you have a plan or goal for your wardrobe?

In the beginning, my plan for my fragrance wardrobe was to find about five fragrances that I both liked and that worked well on my skin. *Later, I think I might have increased this to ten, and later to twenty.

After a year and a half, and after testing hundreds of fragrances, I now have five very special favorites for my regular rotation, and about two dozen others that I admire enough to wear once in a while. *And, of course, I am always testing new fragrances.

Lately, I have been thinking about having a new plan or goal for my wardrobe.

I would appreciate hearing some of your thoughts concerning your wardrobes, and any plans or goals that you might have for your wardrobes.

Default Re: Do you have a plan or goal for your wardrobe?

Or, if anyone would like to not ruin their interest in fragrance by having goals or plans, I would appreciate hearing that also.

One goal I have it mind is to have a frag. for every occasion (summer days, night, winter, formal, etc.)

Im not sure if I will ever be able to do this. Well, atleast for the moment. Maybe when I get out of university I could try.

The thing is, I have sooo many more goals in mind before I start thinking about the number of frags. I own.

At any given time, I have about 10 or 15 actual bottles of fragrance, and many more samples and decants. I keep my drobe small so that I don't spent too much money, but I swap pretty often in my quest to perfect it. It's been a very long time since i've actually bought a bottle.

I use the samples both for fun and to decide what I want to swap for next. I've done this long enough that I like every bottle that I own, so it's difficult to choose the one that I'll swap away next. And just to be safe, I usually spray some whatever I'm swapping out into a sample vial to keep around. It's even getting hard to find samples of frags that I'd take over any of my bottles. Does this mean I'm nearing my goal?

Really, I don't think there is a point in having more that 15 full bottles in a wardrobe. If you're going to have more frags than that, 10ml decants will do just fine. I know that if I were to add bottles to my collection at this point, there is absolutely no way i'd ever come close to using any of them up, especially since I apply quite lightly.

So the moral of the story is, I swap and do not buy. But I swap a lot and my wardrobe is never the same for long. I still consider it a goal (albeit probably an unattainable one) to find a perfect collection that I have no desire to change, but I know that even if I get to that point, my curiousity will get the best of me, and I'll still be a basenotes fiend.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I have to admitt that I have no plan at all. A couple of weeks ago I tried to categorize my collection into very subjective categories like: "Orientals Elixiers", "Gourmants", "The Spice Route", "Fresh, Green" and so on just to see if I should concentrate on a category in which I own only a few frags.

What should I say: Absolutely ridiculous idea and I failed misserably! I own just a few fresh "summer scents" and although the temperatures are rising I tend to buy still heavy orientals and I own a lot of them.

In the end I had to be aware (and I surlely knew it before but forgot it for a moment) that this hobby is about voluble things like memories, sound, vision. The only "use" frags have for me is to trigger all these sensations and to take for a walk without any destination.

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

I don't have a goal in the sense that if I reach a certain point I'll stop collecting, but I'd say I've basically reached a goal in that I'm more or less content with the fragrances I own. My recent love affair with Geir has been integral to the peace I feel with my wardrobe. I can wear Geir any time and anywhere with confidence so anything else is just a fun extra that I don't really need. I also quite like many of the other frags in my wardrobe, and I like lots of the samples I get, but right now I, like Live Jazz, am happier trading and sampling that actually buying. In the future when I have more money and have firmly decided on a few new ones that I've fallen in love with then I may spring for a couple of bottles. Until then though, I'm just going to enjoy what I have because I'm really happy with my modest collection at the moment. I can't see myself ever giving up the hunt though, as I'm ALWAYS down to try something new. Whether I buy anything or not is another question.

My goal is to have all my stuff worn to the liking of my nose and those around me.

I want about 15 -20 amazing favorties that I would rate at a 9 or above. I have a good foundation so far and I am aquiring new scents that meet the highest tests to proove their worth. I hope to have my set in 5 years and never have to get a new bottle of anything. We'll see how that goes...

EnvYuS

I don't really have any goals right now with the collection. I want to weed out the crap I have before I was actually interested in scents. Other than that, I'm just fine having a huge pile of samples to keep experimenting with. Out of my current wardrobe, there's 6 out of 16 that I can't live without and 5 more that really like and would always want at least a small decant on hand for.

So for the future...I dunno.

My current goal is to obtain hard to find fragrances. I like to collect 'rare' fragrances....otherwise it looses it's novelty and the fun of 'acquiring' unique fragrances. Ultimately though, I think I'll rest once I've reached a thousand fragrances on my wardrobe. It would be great to have a collection of the world's rarest and unique fragrances. I'm looking forward to going to Neiman Marcus and 'test' Creed's Feuille Verte tomorrow. If I llike it, I'm willing to pay 500 USD for the 8 oz bottle and leather flacon. I already have a list of "must haves' on an impending trip to Paris later on in the summer.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I don't have a goal. It's an ongoing hobby that makes me smile every day. I suppose I will only stop when I've sniffed every fragrance I find interesting, and own every one that that makes me say oooooooohh!
    Please, spritz responsibly.

A goal for a fragrance wardrobe is more like a restriction. I would rather get what pleases me as long as I can afford it and not care the size of my wardrobe or how it looks like

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My plan is to stop buying more fragrances, but it's a notable failure, sad to say. I just keep on sniffing and buying, sniffing and buying...

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Good topic. I have a lot of reconstruction to do and building. This is an expensive hobby, so my drobe isn't being put together as fast as I want it to. In my drobe now, there are a few that I can truely say that I like and that I don't have a problem with. Some may be short lived ,lack of sillage, too popular, not fit for the season ,etc. The building phase is in process so I'm optimistic. I have a top 5 but I don't own some of them so I'm working on installing them so I can display my top 7 or 10 like the other members.. First on my list to get is Fougeres marine. Fm, for sure a top 5, which will be installed soon.. Haven't forgot about ya vijay....