Code of Conduct

Default Blind purchase: Yatagan

I'm NOT the sort of person who buys a fragrance without testing it. Money can be tight sometimes, so I don't like to waste it. Last month was good financially, therefore it was time for a treat. I got a bottle of Jicky EdP, which I'm very happy with it. It wasn't exactly an impulse buy though, since I had already tried the EdT three times on my skin, and the EdP twice. Jicky was a planned purchase.

But on that same day, I came across a bottle Yatagan. It was in an independent perfume shop in Amsterdam, where they sell other classics as well. Trouble was, they didn't have a tester. The box was sitting there on the shelve, wrapped in cello-tape, and I was just incredibly curious. What to do? I'd never tested Yatagan, and from the Basenotes reviews I recalled, this had to be the typical "love it or hate it" fragrance. The sort of thing you would definitely try beforehand. Sampling it on the spot was not possible. So the least I could have done was to go back home, compare prices, and see where I could get the better deal, since I intended to buy blind anyway. But I was too curious. So I got the bottle at a rather uneconomical 55 euro for 120 mL.

Man, this stuff is good! I feared it would be one of those ultra-potent and unwearable scents, but I'm surprised by how civilised its drydown really is. The notes are still hard to discern for me, but I constantly think of liquorice on a dry leather base. I wouldn't be surprised if some fragrances by Maitre Parfumeur & Gantier (think of Fraiche Badiane) were inspired by Yatagan - they seem to have a similar spicy quality, although not as dry. It's almost a shame that summer is on our doorstep, because I can't see myself wearing this on a warm day. But Yatagan is really something special.

Is there a brotherhood of Yatagan wearers out there?

Marcello

Default Re: Blind purchase: Yatagan

You mean you didn't know about the secret handshake?

lol...I love this one as well, and 3rd Man is just as well-crafted.

marlen

Overcome By Fumes

Plus you need to know the secret rhyme:

When I get on my yacht again
    I always wear Yatagan
    No matter who ya taggin'
    You will still smell great yet again.

Welcome to the fraternity!

[blue]

Put me down as a brother, brother.

What I find interesting about *Yatagan* is the hype surrounding it's supposed brutish nature. I have to agree with you Marcello, its drydown, to me at least, is the epitome of civility. The beast has indeed been tamed. Without doubt one of the most accomplished blendings in perfumery and, in this regard, very typically of Caron fragrances in general.

scentemental[/blue]

Thanks again for posting the secret rhyme, Duclov, I lost my copy when I lost the last wallet. The brotherhood doesn't get together often enough, gents. Not enough chances to raise the glasses and sing the rhyme like old times!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Welcome to the club!

Better late than never, huh?
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

I too love Yatagan.

But I concur: not many chances to wear it this summer. :-[ Last autumn I wore it several times and it was memorable, to say the least.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Yatagan, 3rd Man, and L'Anarchiste all seem to receive IMO unwarranted extreme reviews here. Sure the topnotes are a bit unusual (esp. L'Anarchiste and Yatagan) but the dry downs are very civil and easy-to-wear. Congrats on your risk paying off! Welcome to the club - of people who have found success and excitement in buying blind - I haven't joined the Yatagan club...yet.

I`m a great fan of Yatagan, no doubt about it. Mine was blind buy too, and I was very pleased: It`s absolutely great mixture of earthy, animalic, spicy and woodsy notes. Drydown is one of the best ever.

And no matter what some people may say, this IS extremely wearable - even in the summertime!!

Please gentlemen, don't do this to me! :'(
    I had already chalked this one off as a stinker, now I'm gonna have to try it again!
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

I adore Yatagan. It loves hot weather. A hidden olfactory dimension unveils itself when Yatagan is developing on the skin in hot weather. Yatagan is immortal.

I too, am a Yatagan fan. I wore it even as a teenager! I seem to remember it having better longevity though. Then again, it might have been because I would wear much more of it (remember, I said I was a teenager).
    I'm a little careful about when or where to wear it but to me, this is a power scent.
    If you like Yatagan, you'll probably like Aramis Devin too. To me, they're somewhat similar but AD is a bit gentler and kinder...
    Enjoy your precious find!
    RM

Wow. Thanks for all your wonderful comments! I agree with Renaisance Man that Yatagan's longevity is not spectacular. But you know what? I don't mind at all. I've reapplied it twice today, but the bottle is big enough to last me a very long time anyway. I'm testing it again tomorrow! Ohh... this scent is addictive.

great to be part of the club *
    Marcello

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance Man
    I too, am a Yatagan fan. I wore it even as a teenager! I seem to remember it having better longevity though. Then again, it might have been because I would wear much more of it (remember, I said I was a teenager).
    I'm a little careful about when or where to wear it but to me, this is a power scent.
    If you like Yatagan, you'll probably like Aramis Devin too. To me, they're somewhat similar but AD is a bit gentler and kinder...
    Enjoy your precious find!
    RM
    I had a chance to test Devin while in London, and yeah, I can see the similarities. They're both extremely "rustic" frags.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    I agree with Renaisance Man that Yatagan's longevity is not spectacular.
    These different thoughts about longevity won`t stop amazing me. :-?

Quote Originally Posted by PM
    These different thoughts about longevity won`t stop amazing me. *:-?
    Let me put it this way: I wore Jicky the day before, and I could still smell it 24 hours later. That's what I call spectacular longevity. In fact, wearing it made me rather self-conscious. However, when I asked several colleagues if my fragrance annoyed them, they said they hadn't even noticed it.

With Yatagan, it could very well be the opposite. Perhaps I get used to that scent very easily. In any case, longevity is not an important factor to me.

Well, I have very little to add, I can only agree to all the praise it has gotten. I only have a 10 ml decant of Yatagan, but as soon as I run out of it, I'll buy the full bottle - and it's bloody affordable too! I LOVE Yatagan.

My opinions:
    Longevity - Very good
    Masculinity - Moderate, but absolutely not offending
    Wearability - much easier to wear than many claim. I could wear it anytime.

Sign me up for the club!