Code of Conduct

Default Perfect Minimalist Wardrobe

Being new to Basenotes, I can't help but be flabbergasted by some of the gargantuan wardrobes fellow Bnoters own. *I have also seen a number of posts by people wanting to cut down on their 'drobes.

Which got me thinking (apologies if this has been covered in a previous thread) about the optimal wardrobe size.

The average person would say 1 or 2 frags is fine, but there is no way a Basenoter would accept that.

I think the right size for a good, easily controllable wardrobe would be 12.

You need 2 different frags for:
    *Summer Days (eg: Acqua di Gio & Cool Water)
    *Summer Nights * * (eg: Visit & Havana)
    *Winter Days * (eg: Gucci PH & Rive Gauche)
    *Winter Nights *(eg: Fahrenheit & M7)
    *and 2 classics that you can't do without (ur choice)

Then you need 1 for formal occasions. *(eg: Armani Code)
    and 1 for special times with the ladies * (eg: Givenchy Pi)

Is 12 OK or too much?
    (I have no experience with niche's so I went with I know)

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Perfect Minimalist Wardrobe

Twelve is fine if that suits your needs and budget. Some here are also "collectors", trying to obtain rare frags just as one would collect rare art, coins, wines etc. Others may initially start with the intention of having 10-15, but then read rave reviews of new releases or older frags and decide to get a sample or decant before investing in a bottle. BTW- A true frag minimalist would survive nicely on just Havana.

Yes, I also think 12 is a good number!

Ok let me think...

Two frags for

Summer days: L'eau par Kenzo, Chrome
    Summer nights: The dreamer, D&G ph
    Winter days: Boss bottled, Burberry Brit
    Winter nights: Rive gauche, Bulgari Black
    2 classics: Zino smells quite good, but I am too young I think
    Cool Water

formal: Bulgari ph

something girls like: JPG Le male

Overcome By Fumes

Beware! Snob rant ahead!

I'm sure I could get by with fewer fragrances than I now own. I could be fine with one or I know I went along fine for years only wearing some Old Spice on special occasions. But would I want to be like Raymond Babbitt (Rain Man), and have pepperoni pizza every Monday night? Perhaps have a wardrobe of two shirts for summer days, two for winter nights, etc? Sure I COULD. But there is more to life than "getting by". Almost anyone who can afford a little luxury in their lives indulges themselves somehow. Some of us like the fact that Ben and Jerry's makes lots of flavors besides the big three brown, white and pink ones. Each fragrance triggers different receptors, different feelings, different recollections. Sure many fragrances can be suited satisfactorily to a simple purpose, but each is unique and the human nose can appreciate the wonders of each if one cares to cultivate the sensitivity. Wearing fragrances should be an experience that enriches one's life in some way, not like picking up a schedule and saying, "Ah, summer evening, guess I should wear _____".

Just my n.s.h.o.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Beware! Snob rant ahead!

I'm sure I could get by with fewer fragrances than I now own. *I could be fine with one or I know I went along fine for years only wearing some Old Spice on special occasions. *But would I want to be like Raymond Babbitt (Rain Man), and have pepperoni pizza every Monday night? *Perhaps have a wardrobe of two shirts for summer days, two for winter nights, etc? *Sure I COULD. *But there is more to life than "getting by". *Almost anyone who can afford a little luxury in their lives indulges themselves somehow. * Some of us like the fact that Ben and Jerry's makes lots of flavors besides the big three brown, white and pink ones. *Each fragrance triggers different receptors, different feelings, different recollections. *Sure many fragrances can be suited satisfactorily to a simple purpose, but each is unique and the human nose can appreciate the wonders of each if one cares to cultivate the sensitivity. *Wearing fragrances should be an experience that enriches one's life in some way, not like picking up a schedule and saying, "Ah, summer evening, guess I should wear _____".

Just my n.s.h.o.
    Couldn't have said this better myself. Variety is the spice of life, and fragrances are very much an emotional thing for me. I have to follow a schedule and rules during my work week, so there's no schedule and rules when it comes to my fragrances. Like someone here said before, the hunt for great fragrances is what keep us going.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

To be honest, you could "just get by" with four fragrances: 1 informal summer, 1 formal summer, 1 informal winter, 1 formal winter. Hell, you could get by with just one that you wear only for special occasions. It's not really a question of what the basics should be, but what do you want? If I wasn't a poor college student and had gobs of money to spend, my collection would certainly be larger! But since money is an issue for me at this part of my life, I get by with a smaller collection.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

yOU NEED THIS:

*Summer Days :CREED BOIS DE CEDRAT AND MARE CREATIVE UNIVERSE *
    *Summer Nights : DIPTYQUE OYEDO AND *LITTLE ITALY BOND Nº 9 * *

*Winter Days: ARCUS AMOUAGE AND WALL STREET BOND Nº 9 *

*Winter Nights : CREED NEW TABAROME AND SPORTISSIMO GALIMARD

*and 2 classics :MONSIEUR GIVENCHY AND ARMANI POUR HOMME

and always a bottle of LAGUNA
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Yes I've often thought about cutting down my wardrobe to a smaller size (currently ~ 30)...

But every time I smell more fragrances, I want more!

I could throw out some old fragrances to make way for new ones, just to "keep the numbers down", but that would be cutting off my nose to spite my face. Sure I could throw out old bottles of Safari, Eternity, Issey, etc, but who knows when I might want to wear them, or maybe just sniff the bottle to bring back memories. There are a lot of redundant bottles in my collection, but why throw them out?

My solution is to have an active wardrobe with my current "rotation" of 10 or so fragrances. Then I keep my other 20 or so on the shelf below that, so I can look at them and sniff them from time to time!

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

i'm constantly approaching - but never reaching - my perfect 10.

my drobe is small but changes a lot.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Obviously nothing less than 100 would be sufficient.

Seriously, something like 12 would be way more than sufficient, but by that point the fragrance bug is fully embedded in the ol' cerebrum. The person would be beyond hope.
    K
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by Vicomte de K
    Obviously nothing less than 100 would be sufficient.

Seriously, something like 12 would be way more than sufficient, but by that point the fragrance bug is fully embedded in the ol' cerebrum. The person would be beyond hope.
    * K
    LOL! That is so true. By the time I purchased my 6th fragrance (Pino Silvestre) I became a lost cause.

Rompip, I totally concur with your 12 scent system. Now how the heck do I narrow my wardrobe to 12...? :-[
    Top 3: London Gentleman, Blackbeard's Delight, and Sex Panther. (It works 60% of the time, every time.)

I couldn't minimize my collection to 12 even if there was a gun pointed at my head...25 perhaps? My tastes and pleasures are as far and wide as the shelves at a Sephora.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Easy solution to that problem...
    Pick your 12 faves from your wardrobe and then give the other 68 to me.

I would want about 3 for each occasion. Only 2 would be too boring and I would go out and buy more. I like 3 because it gives more of a selection. I really like having overlaping frags that work for different situations. Versatility is always a good thing.

I would probably have some of the following for my minimalist drobe:

Summer Days: Cool Water, Live Jazz, Neroli Sauvage
    Summer Nights: D&G ph, The Dreamer, Geir

Winter Days: Fumerie Turque, Lolita Lempicka, Mechant Loup, Gucci ph
    Winter Nights: Tea for Two, Dior Homme, Musc Ravageur

Special Guest appearance by: Bois du Portugal!

EnvYuS

*Summer Days YSL PH, Caswell Massey No. 6
    *Summer Nights Monsieur Galimard, Gendarme V
    *Winter Days Dunhill for Men (1934), Habit Rouge
    *Winter Nights Cuiron, Ungaro I
    *and 2 classics that you can't do without: Azzaro Pour Homme, Eau Sauvage

Then you need 1 for formal occasions: Bois du Portugal
    and 1 for special times with the ladies Body Kouros
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

One could be even more a minimalist by living in a uni-climate without a real summer or winter. Alternatively there are places where there are only summer days and winter nights, but no summer nights or winter days. Come to think of it there are also places with no special occasions and no girls.
    Do you smell what I smell? Vive le Crystal Flaçon!

This is fun!

*Summer Days Annick Goutal Eau d'Hadrien, Hermes Eau d'Orange Vert
    *Summer Nights Diptyque Tam Dao, Caron Royal Bain
    *Winter Days Ormonde Jayne for Men, Parfums de Nicolai New York
    *Winter Nights Serge Lutens Chergui, L'Artisan Voleur de Roses
    *and 2 classics that you can't do without (ur choice) Caron Or et Noir, Guerlain Habit Rouge

Then you need 1 for formal occasions. Hermessence Poivre Samarkand
    and 1 for special times Ormonde Jayne Ta'if

That would be a pretty good minimalist wardrobe to have.

Sante.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

I think I could go for a minimalist wardrobe that looked something like this:

Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Antaeus
    Chanel Bois des Iles
    Chanel Cuir de Russie
    Caron L'Impact de Pour un Homme
    Caron Tabac Blond
    Czech & Speake Neroli
    Czech & Speake No. 88
    Clive Christian 1872 for Men
    Boucheron Jaipur Homme
    Diptyque Philosykos
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    Dior Homme
    Different Company Divine Bergamote
    Bulgari Black
    L'Artisan Parfumeur Voleur de Roses
    Mazzolari Vetiver

:-[ :-[ :-[ so im totally crazy i have almost 100 full or almost full bottles and i feel so unsatisfaid i would like more and more when i dream about all the frags im missing im desperate but i would have to win the lottery

I know!!! This hobby devours money!

I can only thank the good Lord that I'm unable to get access to Niche's, coz if I could, I think I'd be in real trouble.

summer days: Eau sauvage, Chanel pour monsieur (concentré)
    summer nights: Body Kouros, Fahrenheit summer
    winter days: M7 fresh, l'instant de guerlain
    winter nights: Dior Homme, Obsession
    classics: Antaeus, Azzaro PH

formal occasions: Kenzo PH fresh
    special times with the ladies: Egoiste
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

If I wanted, I reckon I could get away with: Bvlgari Thé Verte, Mania & EA Night He. Those 3 best reflect who I am; I'd say that those 3 are almost a second skin.

I don't know. There are times where I'd quite like to keep only 8 or so regular fragrances to use on a regular basis, and then a few 'personal' scents. Once I get hooked, I reckon that will soon change!

Extreme minimalism:

Spring & Summer: Guerlain's Vetiver.
    Fall & Winter: Cuiron.

Evenings out & Special Ocassions:

Spring & Summer: Monsieur de Givenchy.
    Fall & Winter: Dunhill (Original) for men.

Ewen if i dont have these, ill list the ones i would want to have.

*Summer Days:Live Jazz, Lacoste Pour Homme
    *Summer Nights:Terre d´Hermes, Bleecker Street
    *Winter Days:Dior Homme, Burberry Brit
    *Winter Nights:Tea for Two, Gucci Envy
    * 2 classics :Egoiste, Bois Farine

*formal occasions:Palais Jamais
    *special times:Santal Floris

I found this while browsing around and would love to get more opinions from newer members. I'm aiming for a super minimal wardrobe of 3 or 4 frags, but along the same lines as the categories suggested by the original poster.

Summer day: Guerlain Vetiver
    Summer night: Versace the Dreamer
    Winter day: Guerlain Vetiver (its versatile and always smells great!)
    Winter night: Dior Fahrenheit
    Casual/sporty: Cool water

Classic: Azzaro pour homme
    For the XX folks: L'eau d'Issey

S

I thought a perfect minimalist wardrobe would all consist of frags that are considered "all weather/all occasion" in that it may not excel at one particular use but is good for all situations. After much consideration the last few months, I consider my Prada IdI to be my "all-terrain frag" and I cannot imagine a social situation where I don't want to wear it. I love it so much I even spray it inside my leather briefcase....

Many people here would consider a powerhouse like "Coco" to be exclusively winter frags, but I've worn it in hot summers here - the secret is just to apply a lot less.

*Summer Days: Original Vetiver and Millesime Imperial
    *Summer Nights: Rose 31 and Silver Mountain Water
    *Winter Days: Rive Gauche and Encre Noire
    *Winter Nights: Black Aoud and Helmut Lang EDC
    *and 2 classics that you can't do without: Egoiste Concentree and Green Irish Tweed

That is just about everything in my wardrobe, I guess I am a minimalist.
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

Outside the world of Basenotes, a wardrobe of 12 would seem pretty "maximalist" for most people. 4 on the other hand, is perfectly normal.
    Here's what I'd recommend: (Choose one out of each category)

*Summer Days (SL Gris Clair, MDCI Invasion Barbare)
    *Summer Nights (Hermessence Vetiver Tonka, PG L'oiseau de Nuit/L'ombre Fauve)
    *Winter Days (Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, SL Chergui)
    *Winter Nights *(Amouage Homage/Red Aoud, Coromandel/Borneo 1834)
    *Can't Do Without: Dior Bois d'Argent, PG Cuir d'Iris/Knize Ten

Formal: You should get BdP/L'eau de Navigateur or some of the Floris/MPG offerings. For myself, I'd just go with Tobacco Vanille or Oud 27, but that's just me.
    Special (for time with the ladies): M. Micallef Vanille Aoud
    Special (for time with the girls): By Kilian Straight to Heaven
    Last edited by moltening; 18th May 2009 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moltening View Post
    *Summer Days (SL Gris Clair, MDCI Invasion Barbare)
    *Summer Nights (Hermessence Vetiver Tonka, PG L'oiseau de Nuit/L'ombre Fauve)
    *Winter Days (Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, SL Chergui)
    *Winter Nights *(Amouage Homage/Red Aoud, Coromandel/Borneo 1834)
    *Can't Do Without: Dior Bois d'Argent, PG Cuir d'Iris/Knize Ten

Formal: You should get BdP/L'eau de Navigateur or some of the Floris/MPG offerings. For myself, I'd just go with Tobacco Vanille or Oud 27, but that's just me.
    Special (for time with the ladies): M. Micallef Vanille Aoud
    Special (for time with the girls): By Kilian Straight to Heaven
    Moltening is a very Rich man...i can tell you that rompip.

Haha super old thread.

My target is pretty small too, oh bumper of this thread.

Spring/summer: Allure Sport, Erolfa, and possibly Platinum Egoiste or Tann Rokka
    Fall/Winter: Gucci PH, Envy, and possibly Fougere Bengale or Daim Blond

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Moltening is a very Rich man...i can tell you that rompip.
    Nah! Didn't mean to sound like a snob, but if I'm going to spend the rest of my life (or at least a very very long time with a dozen frags) -- they better be good!

Whilst I couldn't agree with docluv45 more, i'm still trying to get it down to 5 for my minimalist wardrobe. Purely because otherwise I end up overthinking things.

Warm weather:
    Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Guerlain Vetiver

Cool weather:
    Old Spice
    Currently to be decided

Formal:
    Dunhill 1934

Another go. Designer choices:

Summer: Rochas Man, Gucci PH II (John Varvatos Vintage is also a decent underrated choice)
    Winter: Dior Homme, Lolita Lempicka au Masculin, Cuiron/Knize Ten
    Casual/sporty: Chanel Allure Homme Sport

It's a really great idea that I'd like to implement as well. Is my wardrobe can cover different situations? Anything missing? Note that I live in a tropical country with hot and humid weather. Also, I have Paco XS PH on the way.
    Last edited by zliang; 18th May 2009 at 09:55 AM.

OK, guys, let`s be more of Basenoters than consumers
    I`d suggest to divide any wardrobe by means of families, like
    1 Chypre
    1 Citrus cologne
    1 Woody
    1 Oriental
    1 Fougere
    etc.
    And everyone could easily choose from those families the best likables. Someone would like to choose oriental cologne, oriental woody, oriental fougere, oriental chypre etc... Other will prefer green chypre, green cologne, green fougere, etc. Or you could stick with some note (like vetiver) and find yourself with Vetiver Oriental (SL), Vetiver (Guerlain), Route du Vetiver (MPG), Vetiver (Goutal), etc.
    You better know yourself and your tastes.

And so it`s possible to shorten any wardrobe down to 6-8 scents.
    I just refuse to do the cutting down as I cannot read the one and only favourite book for my whole life!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

12 is perfectly fine. I've topped out at 18 (roughly 9 spring/summer, 9 fall/winter) and I'm satisfied. If anything, I'm looking to refine/reduce my collection further.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    A true frag minimalist would survive nicely on just Havana.

Amen brother!
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    1 Chypre
    1 Citrus cologne
    1 Woody
    1 Oriental
    1 Fougere
    etc.
    the most minimalistic wardrobe:
    1. Chanel pour monsieur (chypre - citrus)
    2. Chanel Antaeus (woody - fougere)
    3. Chanel Egoiste (oriental)
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Where I live, the cost of each Chanel scent can get me 3-5 of many other designer scents.

Summer days: Cartier Declaration Essence
    Summer nights: Terre d´Hermes
    Winter days: YSL Rive Gauche
    Winter nights: Rochas Lui & l´instant Guerlain
    2 classics: Antaeus & Eau d´Hermes

Formal: Look above

Something girls like: Look above
    Last edited by sanatik; 18th May 2009 at 04:48 PM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

I haven't seen any women answer, but I'm answering anyway. (Many of them are unisex. Does that help?)

Right his minute, I'd choose the following. The interesting part is that I don't own so much as a decant of some of these. My purchasing priorities are clearly flawed.

*Summer Days:
    Jo Maline White Jasmine & Mint
    Parfumerie Generale L'Eau Rare Matale

*Summer Nights:
    CB I Hate Perfume Tea/Rose absolute
    Chanel No. 19 Parfum

*Winter Days:
    Bois 1920 Sushi Imperiale
    Bond No. 9 New Haarlem

*Winter Nights:
    Serge Lutens Daim Blond
    Serge Lutens Serge Noire

* Supposed to be classics, really free choice:
    CB I Hate Perfume Black Tea Accord
    Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate

But if I did it again in a month, I bet I'd have a very different list.

I could also happily wear any of these at pretty much any time. White Jasmine & Mint is a little daytime and sporty, and Serge Noire is a little dark and wintery, but I think I could wear even these in the "opposite" situation.

Crayfish

im starting to get into the minimalist thing myself...i think if i had just the following out of my drobe id be cool:

MKK by lutens
    Musk by LV
    Sandalwood by Trumper
    Bulgari PH

I have so many more, but these are the ones I always reach for, so....I have a similar issue to one of you above that when something new comes out, i tend to make impulse buys...i have really reined that in lately and trying to appreciate the bottles i own, no matter how long it takes...ive taken to buying smaller samples if i have a need.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Narrowing my wardrobe to 12 for the conditions and occasions you mention would be easy for me, but I don't see the reason.

I don't see fragrance as a utilitarian accessory to my grooming or fashion. It is a creative art.

What if someone created a "Perfect Minimalist Menu" for the right size for a good, easily controllable diet?

*Summer breakfast: Fresh fruit and yogurt or Mushroom and cheese omelet

*Summer lunch:Turkey and avocado sandwich or Seafood crepes

*Summer dinner: Chicken picata or Paella

Limiting my meal choices makes no more sense to me than limiting my fragrance choices.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

my minimalist wardrobe:

Summer days....Rive Gauche PH , Bvlgari Aqva,Vetiver Guerlain
    Summer nights...Rive Gauche PH or Platinum Egoiste
    Winter Days....Rive Gauche PH or Bvlgari Black
    Winter Nights...Rive Gauche PH or Burberry London
    Formal......maybe Drakkar Noir
    Classic.....Azzaro PH

nah....however....the more versatile...IMHO is Rive Gauche PH...i could live with this edt only

I think it's kinda funny that since this thread is so old (3 years!), the OP's thoughts of how 12 is more than enough no longer agrees with his 90+ bottle wardrobe. rompip, I bet you didn't expect to see this pop up again!

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    I think it's kinda funny that since this thread is so old (3 years!), the OP's thoughts of how 12 is more than enough no longer agrees with his 90+ bottle wardrobe. rompip, I bet you didn't expect to see this pop up again!
    hahahahah.....lol

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by zliang View Post
    Where I live, the cost of each Chanel scent can get me 3-5 of many other designer scents.
    which would justify 3 being perfect for you :P

likewise im naive to niche. I would love to trim mine down. Its not easy when on BN coz of new discoveries and rediscoveries. Like Zliang, i dont have the blessings of seasonal weather, so sometimes i end up buying for the sake of expansion - which has proven a silly thing to have done these past year and a half. id classify mine into

casual day - LDIssey Bvlgari Extreme, Bvlgari aqua, Eau Sauvage

work day - Cool water, Guerlain Vetiver, Fahrenheit

social night - Hermes Hiris, Gucci Envy,,Loewe Solo, NR for him

formal night - Bvlgari black, m7, Kouros

I think its really hard to default and categorize, esp when a gem or 2 of new scents are released , its really hard to hold back and stick to plan
    Last edited by MFJ; 19th May 2009 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    1 Chypre
    1 Citrus cologne
    1 Woody
    1 Oriental
    1 Fougere
    While that's a good way to collect and learn about the different families - when it comes to actually wearing the scents, I'd say go only for the families you like and have 1 from each.

Aromatic fougeres/Woods/Dry Woods/Leather/and oakmossy-classical-Chypres do not appeal. My wardrobe is basically from the 6 families opposite those that I quoted I didn't like, and I have 1 or 2 from each of the 6 family.

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    seems to me that Antaeus has more accented features of chypre cuir (labdanum, leather, cedre) than fougere.
    Otherwise the wardrobe is great!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GourmandHomme View Post
    While that's a good way to collect and learn about the different families - when it comes to actually wearing the scents, I'd say go only for the families you like and have 1 from each.

Aromatic fougeres/Woods/Dry Woods/Leather/and oakmossy-classical-Chypres do not appeal. My wardrobe is basically from the 6 families opposite those that I quoted I didn't like, and I have 1 or 2 from each of the 6 family.
    Yes, that`s a great way to reduce the wardrobe!
    To try all the families and take only those that appeal - and maybe not only one from the family.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I could (and do) live with:

Casual Day Yatagan

Work Day Blenheim Bouquet / English Fern / Trumpers Spanish Leather

Social Night Kouros / Aramis 900

Formal Night Knize Ten / C&S #88 / Floris #89

I tried this exercise and couldn't do it.

It was impossible. And indeed disturbing. There would be so many in my 'drobe that I would miss that I couldn't do it...

So I'm sticking to around a 100 and won't be shifted - and that's after deciding to downsize already.

Damn, I've just realised I still have a shopping list of quite a few which I still want... oh, God, I'm a hopeless case...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

It's all getting a bit complicated with the categories above so I'll keep it simple I could live with GIT and AdP Colonia for the rest of my life - worked for me for the last 10+ years just fine. Having said that, add . . .

Bergamote (TDC)
    Osmanthus (TDC) - perhaps a little odd in present company, but wouldn't want to be without it.
    Fou d'Absinthe
    Noir Epices
    Coromandel
    Vetiver Tonka
    Tabarome Millesime
    Daim Blond
    Musc Ravageur
    . . . and my yet to be found perfect Sandalwood.

But then there's L'Air & Dzongkha? Difficult.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 19th May 2009 at 10:13 AM.

I have found this quite an interesting exercise. The only problem is that my choices would change daily.

Summer Days
    Armani ~ Eau Pour Homme/Miller Harris ~ Noix de Tubereuse
    Summer Nights
    Czech & Speake ~ Cuba/Penhaligon's ~ Elixir
    Winter days
    Floris ~ No.89/Cartier ~ Pasha
    Winter Nights
    Lalique ~ Encre Noir/Dunhill ~ Edition
    2 Classics
    Christian Dior ~ Eau Sauvage/Acqua di Parma ~ Colonia

12 is fine for me but add zilion of samples which will guarantee more rotation and a "day off" from your collection
    docluv45 you came up with comparition scents to tshirts I add one from opposite view:
    people own 1 or 2 cars max for years so the question is: is driving the same car every morning boring you?
    maybe better rent one for day or two and than another one?
    you may narrow to 12 scents (30ml) and it will end so rapidly that wont even start boring you, maybe 100ml might

Summer: L'air, No.88, L'Instant, L'Eau D'Issey
    Winter..: Pi, Blv Black, Terre, M7
    Formal..: AdP Colonia, Polo Modern Reserve
    Comfy..: Tea for Two, Paul Smith Story
    Last edited by yrk; 19th May 2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzów