Code of Conduct

Default Czech & Speake NO.88: An original recipe?

I recently read somewhere that the No.88 fragrance from the venerable Czech & Speake outfit is in fact a replica of a little well known fragrance from a tailor based in Milan - Domenico Caraceni. Their fragrance producer is allegedly the same as the previous producer of the Czech & Speake product.

Here's the fragrance i'm referring to:

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/kosmet...oducts_id=1781

The notes do not match that of No.88 exactly, but i'm curious to know if anyone in our brotherhood of Czech & Speake fragrance lovers, has been priviledged to sample this quirky fragrance. Allegedly Caraceni did not complain of any plagiarism...Whatever our findings, No.88 still hails as my treasure island fragrance!

Magnnum
    Last edited by magnnum; 4th July 2006 at 08:16 PM.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Default Re: Czech & Speake NO.88: An original recipe?

No.88 may seem somewhat unique, but I have actually smelled Indian fragrance oils that are almost like it.
    Therefore it doesn't feel as dark or punkish to me, but more like an exotic Indian locale.

A fellow basenoter just kindly sent me a vial of Caraceni, and I fully confirm its similarity to No.88, I didn't know about the common supplier story.
    However, the two are not identical; I am not a great fan of No. 88 with its strange harsh floral note, but somehow Caraceni manages to cook the same recipe but in a way that doesn't shock my nostrils; perhaps there's a hint of bergamot, perhaps there is some moss or some animalic notes in the background; as a result, the scent becomes very wearable while losing nothing of its class.

no 88 smells exactly like trumpers rose shave cream to me

Thanks for resurrecting this post & your various replies. I guess I have to test drive this enigma...

Quote Originally Posted by Ombre
    No.88 may seem somewhat unique, but I have actually smelled Indian fragrance oils that are almost like it.
    Therefore it doesn't feel as dark or punkish to me, but more like an exotic Indian locale.
    I think your exactly right: To me this treasure is actually VERY Oriental in a way at least...It doesn`t smell that Chyprish to me at all.

There is nothing that smells more like dry, rich incense sticks. (sandalwood & rose)

It really does smell like walking into some ethical store which is filled up with incense and oils.

It`s perfect.

edit btw: check out that "...your exactly right..."

Wau, my english is on fire!!
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 5th July 2006 at 09:18 PM.

Blog Entries

This frag sounds very interesting to me... anybody know where I can sample it?

Michael Storer in Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer
    This frag sounds very interesting to me... anybody know where I can sample it?

Michael Storer in Los Angeles.
    You may have some joy with the following stockist:

Ron Robinson
    2500 So La Cienega Boulevard
    Los Angeles
    CA 90034
    Phone: +1 310 815 0606