Code of Conduct

Default Pour un Homme de Caron - Variations

ok..

I now have 4 bottles of this fine fragrance. 3 in the original bottle we're all accustomed with, 1 in the new bottle (200ml). I'm struggling, and in many cases, find it amusing, as each one is somewhat different.

Where would one begin..

The new bottle, bright light green as in most advertised pictures, smells of light lavender, vanilla, but creamy, as if it might contain some civet-like jicky character - very close-to-the-skin drydown, very subtle. It's warm, mild cinnamon-like spice in the background.

old bottle 1: sharp lavender, peppery, vanilla lurking in the background, but the sharpness stands out - bright green juice, but not as bright as the newer bottle.

old bottle 2: FLORAL! with a hint of lavender, vanilla faintly lurking in the background; very elegant - almost like, there was a bit of another caron scent thrown in the mix - bizarre.. Very pale green juice.

old bottle 3: To me, the closest to the original PuH; light pale juice, sharp lavender, bright vanilla, faint creamy like-like note in the aforementioned 'new bottle'.

Which one is real? Who knows... When each bottle is different, what is real, what isn't - perhaps this is what makes this house one of the best. Each one has a welcome place in my collection, and equally appreciated. It is the work of the blender that makes these concoctions, and what the heck for each batch being a little bit different. If this were a signature scent of mine, I'd appreciate this variance - I suppose much like creed varies; albeit to a much lesser extent.

Overcome By Fumes

Default Re: Pour un Homme de Caron - Variations

I just have one of the old bottles. Curious that they changed the name from "Pour Un Homme" to "Pour Un Homme de Caron".

Have you tried Impact? I'm wondering whether it is a significant variation on the PUH theme.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    I just have one of the old bottles. Curious that they changed the name from "Pour Un Homme" to "Pour Un Homme de Caron".

Have you tried Impact? I'm wondering whether it is a significant variation on the PUH theme.

Doc, no, I haven't, I'd like to though. Seems anything from this house cant be beat. I love quality fragrances, Caron walks on water..

Thank you for this post!
    I have worn PuH for about 30 years (I started very young : ) ) and always noticed this about it. It's a mystery to me. I've seen a variety of colors: pale amber, light blue/lavender (I believe for the after shave?), and the bright green. I always ended up using the green version and have never come across any that I detected as a fake. Another mystery is how inexpensive it always is and I think this will deter duplicators anyway. The only time I smelled the pale amber one was a tester that had already turned.
    I wonder how a house like Caron could possibly use a different recipe for each batch and perhaps the differences are simply because of the age of the bottles?
    I'm not sure what you mean when referring to the "old bottle." Do you man a taller, narrower one (something like the old GV) vs. the shorter, squarish looking one? For as long as I remember, all I've bought has come in the shorter, square bottle. However, I've noticed the label, cap, and the box have occasionally changed.
    Anyway, what a masterpiece! I'm always proud to be wearing this classic. It's also my comfort scent when I need one.
    RM