Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 65
  1. #1

    Default some things that you should know about creed part

    you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose,hey have rejected proposals to sell the company and the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts

    1)the smell is unique..you will distinguish it at the time you smell it that it's creed

    2)i don't say it is the best house not because i am not satisfied but because this is subjective.what i know is that it is one the top 5 list for sure..

    3)creed never advertises.that means something

    4)The perfumes sell because their complexity, finesse and depth make mass-marketed fragrances seem harsh, clumsy or inanely simplistic. “You can tell a Creed perfume immediately

    5)one of the last houses that uses natural ingredients

    name more than 1 or 2 other houses that have these accomplishments and i will change my mind,i promise

  2. #2

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    To be honest I have never seen advertisement from so many houses. I don't think that not advertising says anything at all. It doesn't prove that Creed is better in anyway. The eye of the beholder is where it matters. Ever person has their own tastes and that is where popularity comes in. I think Creed makes fragrances to be wildly popular even though it is still a niche house.

    I think the fragrance speaks for itself and Creed just does not make the best smells for me. There are some from Creed in my Top 5 but not enough to make me love is quite as much as so many do.

    I like a little bit from a lot of different houses.

    I think that all niche houses create unique blends of notes that have strange and amazing qualities to them.

    Natural ingredients don't mean anything but natural. Smells are smells. If it is good then who cares if the igredients are natural or synthetic. I want a good fragrance and that is all I care about.

    So, to me Creed is overrated by many. I like the house but don't obssess over its few achievements. I have found great stuff from so many houses wether they be designer, niche, natural, old, new, sythetic or whatever. Good is good. I don't feel Creed overdoes good to make perfect scents.

    EnvYuS

  3. #3

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19
    5)one of the last houses that uses natural ingredients

    The way you wrote it it's not true. I've seen a lot of fragrances that state in their ingredients list the latin names of one or more plants. So using natural ingredients seems quite common with designer frags for me. But Envyus is right about the natural/artificial thing, so....

  4. #4

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19
    you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose,hey have rejected proposals to sell the company and *the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do *because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts

    1)the smell is unique..you will distinguish it at the time you smell it that it's creed

    2)i don't say it is the best house not because i am not satisfied but because this is subjective.what i know is that it is one the top 5 list for sure..

    3)creed never advertises.that means something

    4)The perfumes sell because their complexity, finesse and depth make mass-marketed fragrances seem harsh, clumsy or inanely simplistic. “You can tell a Creed perfume immediately

    5)one of the last houses that uses natural ingredients

    name more than 1 or 2 other houses that have these accomplishments and i will change my mind,i promise
    antonio, I am a big Creed fan too. But you cant force anyone else to like something that you do. You think Creed is the best there is? Great! I think so too. But that doesnt mean that everyone else has to think the same way. The Dallas Mavericks are doing great in the NBA...but that doesnt mean that they are my favorite team, although they might be of many. Real Madrid have won the most champions league trophys in european club history .... I admire them, but they arent my favorite, although they have a large following.

    Many basenoters recognise the contribution that Creed has made to the parfum industry, whether they think its the best out there and not. And thats good enough already !
    -

  5. #5

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.

    By the way, did you get straight F's in English class?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  6. #6

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19
    you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose, *
    by whom???????? *are these the same people with American Idol who thought Kenny Rogers and Barry Manilow were legends?
    they have rejected proposals to sell the company and *the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do *because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts
    1)the smell is unique..you will distinguish it at the time you smell it that it's creed
    This is an opinion, like most here. *It isn't quantifiable. *However, I will vehemently disagree that their fragrances are instantly recognizable. *They're nice. *The older ones, maybe stand apart. *The new ones are nice. *They're both opinions and not something which can be measured. *

    2)i don't say it is the best house not because i am not satisfied but because this is subjective.what i know is that it is one the top 5 list for sure..
    i'll agree they're probably in my top 5 or at least top 10 houses. *That's going to change if Olivier and Erwin don't find a pulse and create something original. *


    3)creed never advertises.that means something
    Yet they have no problem letting you know all the celebrities that wear them on their own website!!!!!!! *That's not advertising, but it's on the dark side of the gray area.....it's free advertising to tout themselves. *
    4)The perfumes sell because their complexity, finesse and depth make mass-marketed fragrances seem harsh, clumsy or inanely simplistic. “You can tell a Creed perfume immediately
    they also have snob appeal. *in addition you listed all the celebrities that wear them. then you turn around and say that it's all about the fragrances. *you can't have it both ways.....which one is it?

    5)one of the last houses that uses natural ingredients
    One of the last, but not the only. *Also, I'll say this again......
    name more than 1 or 2 other houses that have these accomplishments and i will change my mind,i promise
    AMMMM I'll say it again too, and people did in the last post. *Frederic Malle, Villoresi, MPG, L'artisan, all stand above recent Creed scents in terms of creativity and are on par in terms of quality at the very least. *

    To make it short, it's posts like these that make me want to despise what Creed is about and fancies themselves. *I wish I was mature enough to ingore this stuff. *

  7. #7

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Dude, I would take all these "facts" about this house with a fistfull of salt. I´ve heard everything from treasure chests of Erolfa being found inside the sunken titanic (didn´t it launch in the 90´s to begin with?) to the ususal ramblings of all historical figures wearing their stuff. Still I´m yet to see any vintage bottles going on ebay, something found all the time with Guerlain, Patou etc...

    I Like Creed also, have 7 bottles myself, but I base this appreciation on my personal opinion that some of them smell great (by no means all) + I got 6 at a cheap price, wouldn´t pay full price ever, just not worth it. As for the celebrity factor I honestly see that as a tacky side fact, couldn´t care less what retard Becks is wearing, he should have focused more on creating something nice instead of his sub.par crap of a juice.

    Next we have the 2 latest releases, OV & OS which are both balancing very dangerously on blatant plagiarism, you can´t just take 2 best seller juices and tweak the up a notch by better ingredients, not kosher in my book.

    These guys need to shape up and start putting out excellent stuff like Acier Aluminium, Royal Delight, Baie de Genievre and Santal Imperial again, til then I´ll remain sceptic.

    And you Antonio need to take a class in critical analysis

    MMM

  8. #8

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.

    Original Vetiver and Original Santal were mainly creations of Erwin Creed, not Olivier...OV is pretty good, and give the young guy (Erwin) a break...hes trying to learn a trade, and has still some ways to go .. OV and OS are still better than lets say YSL or Hermes or Guerlains latest disasters.
    -

  9. #9

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    DUDE, IT IS NOT A FACT!!!!!!
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

  10. #10

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    DUDE IT IS NOT A FACT!!!!!!
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Deffinately agreed. Who decides who is the best?? Was there a test?

    I don't see how that could possibly be any fact. Each person has preference and yours is towards Creed and old man Oliver but he is not the best. I don't think there could be such a statement towards any one nose in the entire world. Bias is one major issue along with personal tastes. That is no fact at all.

    I did hear about Erwin's involvement in the two original smells created recently though. I'm not sure what to believe with Creed these days...

    EnvYuS

  11. #11

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    [quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.

    Original Vetiver and Original Santal were mainly creations of Erwin Creed, not Olivier...OV is pretty good, and give the young guy (Erwin) a break...hes trying to learn a trade, and has still some ways to go .. OV and OS are still better than lets say YSL or Hermes or Guerlains latest disasters.
    [/quote]

    Well those "disasters" are all wonderful in my opinion. And if I liked OV I'd still get Mugler Cologne.

  12. #12

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    [quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.


    [/quote]

    Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are a few i can think of who, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  13. #13

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    [quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.


    [/quote]

    Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are three i can think of that, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.[/quote]

    Ropion, the creator of such "masterpieces" as Armani Black Code and Givenchy Very Irresistable? LOL :P
    -

  14. #14

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    [quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#11 date=1149285358][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.


    [/quote]

    Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are three i can think of that, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.[/quote]

    Ropion, the creator of such "masterpieces" as Armani Black Code and Givenchy Very Irresistable? LOL :P
    [/quote]

    He also did Vetiver Extraordiaire and Carnal Flower.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  15. #15

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    ^ I'd add Maurice Roucel (Rochas Man, new Haarlem)
    but Im not gonna comment on these alleged facts :-X

  16. #16

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    [quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#12 date=1149285557][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#11 date=1149285358][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.


    [/quote]

    Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are three i can think of that, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.[/quote]

    Ropion, the creator of such "masterpieces" as Armani Black Code and Givenchy Very Irresistable? LOL *:P
    [/quote]

    He also did Vetiver Extraordiaire and Carnal Flower.[/quote]

    Ok, so those two are good frags. The rest of his creations are pretty average. Heres his resume:

    Alexander McQueen MyQueen (2005, with Anne Flipo)
    Burberry Burberry London for women (2006)
    Cacharel Amor Amor (2003, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Calvin Klein Euphoria (2005, with Loc Dong & Carlos Benaim)
    Caron Aimez Moi (1996)
    Christian Dior Pure Poison (2004, with Carlos Benaïm & Olivier Polge)
    Escada Casual Friday (1999)
    Escada Sentiment Pour Homme (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Escada Sexy Graffiti (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flowers (2005)
    Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (2002)
    Giorgio Armani Armani Code for women (2006, with Carlos Benaim & Olivier Polge)
    Givenchy Amarige (1991)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible for women (with Sophie Labbe & Carlos Benaim)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible Sensual (2005)
    Givenchy Ysatis (1984)
    Givenchy Ysatis Iris
    Jennifer Lopez Live (2005)
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant (1996)
    Kenzo Jungle Tigre
    Krizia Krazy (1991)
    Lalique Le Parfum (2005)
    Lancome Tresor Eau de Printemps Sheer (2006)
    Maxims de Paris (1984)
    Nam Long Miss Saigon
    Ralph Lauren Safari (1990, with others)
    Thierry Mugler Alien (2005, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania (2005)
    Yardley Lace (1984)
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris Premieres Roses (2003, with Sophia Grojsman & Laurent Bruyere)

    You decide between Creed and Ropion now.
    -

  17. #17

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    double post

  18. #18

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Obviously it´s completely useless debating with you. BUT answer one question please, what sources do you have to support the history about this company except all the text that is featured on http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/ which they clearly have written themselves. Nowhere in my extensive collection of books on classical perfumery are they mentioned except a brief bit on GIT from the 80´s. Present me an independentt source confirming all their historical claims (again that does not use ANY of the text on that website or obvious promo material).
    I double dare you. You´ll be sorely dissapointed to find out there´s been plenty of revisionism going on in the 8th arrondisement.

    MMM

  19. #19

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    personally id take safari over any creed any day of any week

  20. #20

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Obviously it´s completely useless debating with you. BUT answer one question please, what sources do you have to support the history about this company except all the text that is featured on http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/ which they clearly have written themselves. Nowhere in my extensive collection of books on classical perfumery are they mentioned except a brief bit on GIT from the 80´s. Present me an independentt source confirming all their historical claims (again that does not use ANY of the text on that website or obvious promo material).
    I double dare you. You´ll be sorely dissapointed to find out there´s been plenty of revisionism going on in the 8th arrondisement.

    MMM
    I recently read this article on Forbes.com, October 11, 1999 :

    "
    The Sweet Smell of Excess


    NAPOLEON III WORE a scent that smelled like leather, and not just any old leather, either. Russian leather. Spain's Alfonso XIII wore a scent with a faint woody odor called Green Irish Tweed. Winston Churchill's personal perfume, dubbed Tabarome, smelled of tobacco. All these scents have one thing in common: They were made exclusively for their wearers by the House of Creed, which started doing this sort of thing for England's George III in 1760, and has kept on doing it straight through to such modern royalty as JFK and Marilyn Monroe.


    If you regard most ordinary store-bought scents as nothing more than Brut by a fancier name, be advised: The House of Creed will infuse, say, the essence of hard disks, stale coffee and telephone wire into an exclusive perfume for any cyber-gazillionaire willing to shell out up to thirty grand and wait six months.


    The deal is, Creed will brew up a batch of 10 liters. That's more perfume than anyone can wear in a lifetime, but you could hand out bottles to 300 friends. For five years, Creed promises not to sell the perfume to anyone else.


    After that, your pool man can wear it--if he pays the $160 Creed charges for four ounces of Imperiale Millesime, the fragrance commissioned by Saudi King Faisal. It comes in a 22-karat gold-plated flask. All but two of Creed's 32 over-the-counter perfumes started as exclusives, including the Royal English Leather scent it made for George III.


    If you're in the market for a Creed potion of your own, get in line. You'll have to wait months for an appointment with Olivier Creed, the current head of the house. Creed sits down with the client to create a kind of olfactory portrait.


    "I'm like a psychoanalyst," muses the French-born Creed, 56, who started working for his father in the family business when he was 19. "I ask them about their hobbies and their loved places and then I try to create a scent that evokes these. Perfume should make you travel."


    But don't think that just because you've got the time or the money, Olivier will put his impeccable nose at your disposal. He must deem you worthy. "Sometimes I say non!--it will be not a good thing for you to have your own fragrance," says Olivier in his Pepe-le-Pew English. "It's not only a question of snobbishness: Appreciating Creed requires education." Oh, yes, it's also a question of snobbishness.


    Creed can afford to be as snooty as he wants to be. Though he has only enough time to make 15 custom-made perfumes a year, Olivier Creed says the company still generates $40 million in wholesale revenue annually and enjoys a profit margin of 12%, nearly double the industry norm. He owns it all.


    Once he has determined what your tastes are--or what he insists they should be--Olivier and his 50 employees set to work in their laboratory in Ury, a town on the outskirts of Paris. The Creed family moved its London headquarters there in 1854. Paris was more convenient to Creed's principal client at the time, the Hapsburg Empress Sissi.


    As you might expect, the House of Creed doesn't make its juice quite the way other perfumers do. Today most perfumes are made from ingredients macerated in synthetic alcohols, and very often the essences themselves are petroleum-based.


    Creed doesn't use synthetic anything and infuses its ingredients by hand. Lemon verbena, cedar wood, peppermint and pink peppercorns are immersed in oils for months and then pressed by hand into pastes, called concrtes. If you think of peasant girls dancing on grapes to make wine, but with fingers instead of feet, you're not too far off. The pastes are then mixed with ethanol fermented from rare white beets that Creed distills itself.


    Once the perfume has been made, it steeps for weeks, while Olivier periodically sniffs and tinkers, sniffs and tinkers. This is one of the reasons Creed fragrances take so long to make: As "chief of olfactory," Olivier possesses the only nose that passes judgment on a Creed potion.


    When he is not in his laboratory--that's nearly half the year--Olivier Creed travels the world looking for rare and choice odoriferous things. The most expensive are the Florentine Iris and Bulgarian Rose, which cost $50,000 to $80,000 a kilogram. That's more than 30 times the price of a kilo of beluga malossol caviar, according to the FORBES Cost of Living Extremely Well Index (see p. 164).


    Depending on what he packs into your fragrance, the price for 10 liters will range between $20,000 and $30,000. But if you're thinking of a variant of Churchill's Tabarome, the second most expensive Creed ever made, be prepared to spend more: Olivier uses only the best Cuban tobacco.


    There is one more catch: In addition to your initial stock, you are required to purchase an additional 10 liters over a five-year period, which can add thousands to your overall cost. If you can't hack this, you might instead consider a custom-mixed fragrance, blended from any of the 238 fragrances Creed has. This mix will cost between $2,000 and $5,000 for up to 2 liters, which is yours to wear exclusively for one year only.


    You can buy off-the-shelf Creed at the Creed stores in Paris and New York City, or Harrods, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys department stores. But there's a risk of running into someone who smells exactly like you.

    "

    -

  21. #21

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    [quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#13 date=1149285768][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#12 date=1149285557][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#11 date=1149285358][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.


    [/quote]

    Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are three i can think of that, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.[/quote]

    Ropion, the creator of such "masterpieces" as Armani Black Code and Givenchy Very Irresistable? LOL :P
    [/quote]

    He also did Vetiver Extraordiaire and Carnal Flower.[/quote]

    Ok, so those two are good frags. The rest of his creations are pretty average. Heres his resume:

    Alexander McQueen MyQueen (2005, with Anne Flipo)
    Burberry Burberry London for women (2006)
    Cacharel Amor Amor (2003, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Calvin Klein Euphoria (2005, with Loc Dong & Carlos Benaim)
    Caron Aimez Moi (1996)
    Christian Dior Pure Poison (2004, with Carlos Benaïm & Olivier Polge)
    Escada Casual Friday (1999)
    Escada Sentiment Pour Homme (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Escada Sexy Graffiti (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flowers (2005)
    Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (2002)
    Giorgio Armani Armani Code for women (2006, with Carlos Benaim & Olivier Polge)
    Givenchy Amarige (1991)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible for women (with Sophie Labbe & Carlos Benaim)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible Sensual (2005)
    Givenchy Ysatis (1984)
    Givenchy Ysatis Iris
    Jennifer Lopez Live (2005)
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant (1996)
    Kenzo Jungle Tigre
    Krizia Krazy (1991)
    Lalique Le Parfum (2005)
    Lancome Tresor Eau de Printemps Sheer (2006)
    Maxims de Paris (1984)
    Nam Long Miss Saigon
    Ralph Lauren Safari (1990, with others)
    Thierry Mugler Alien (2005, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania (2005)
    Yardley Lace (1984)
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris Premieres Roses (2003, with Sophia Grojsman & Laurent Bruyere)

    You decide between Creed and Ropion now.
    [/quote]

    Hmmmm........ Ropion..


    I agree JC, M. Roucel is another one.

    A few more:

    Lorenzo Villoresi, JP Guerlain, Jean Laporte, Chris Sheldrake, P. De Nicolai...*








    * These are of course, just my opinion!
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  22. #22

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    zztopp- do you really think that no Creed money went toward getting that puff piece into Forbes? They may not advertise per se, but Lord knows they lobby!

  23. #23

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    IT'S OFFICIAL! CREED IS NO LONGER A NICHE HOUSE!
    Assuming that a very high price structure will unto itself create some exclusivity, and that Creed was at one time "exclusive" and therefore could be considered "niche", Creed is now so widely available and highly discounted that it can no longer be considered niche. Now, $150 bottles are routinely sold for $75-$90 at discount perfume stores all over the US and assumedly other countries. It is now therefore simply a slightly higher priced line than average designer frags and should be evaluated regarding its cost/quality value accordingly. In this light it probably deserves a somewhat higher evaluation than previously.

  24. #24

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    [quote author=MonkeyManMatt link=1149282074/15#17 date=1149286156]Obviously it´s completely useless debating with you. BUT answer one question please, what sources do you have to support the history about this company except all the text that is featured on http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/ which they clearly have written themselves. Nowhere in my extensive collection of books on classical perfumery are they mentioned except a brief bit on GIT from the 80´s. Present me an independentt source confirming all their historical claims (again that does not use ANY of the text on that website or obvious promo material).
    I double dare you. You´ll be sorely dissapointed to find out there´s been plenty of revisionism going on in the 8th arrondisement.

    MMM


    If you're in the market for a Creed potion of your own, get in line. You'll have to wait months for an appointment with Olivier Creed, the current head of the house. Creed sits down with the client to create a kind of olfactory portrait.


    "I'm like a psychoanalyst," muses the French-born Creed, 56, who started working for his father in the family business when he was 19. "I ask them about their hobbies and their loved places and then I try to create a scent that evokes these. Perfume should make you travel."


    But don't think that just because you've got the time or the money, Olivier will put his impeccable nose at your disposal. He must deem you worthy. "Sometimes I say non!--it will be not a good thing for you to have your own fragrance," says Olivier in his Pepe-le-Pew English. "It's not only a question of snobbishness: Appreciating Creed requires education." Oh, yes, it's also a question of snobbishness.


    Creed can afford to be as snooty as he wants to be. Though he has only enough time to make 15 custom-made perfumes a year, Olivier Creed says the company still generates $40 million in wholesale revenue annually and enjoys a profit margin of 12%, nearly double the industry norm. He owns it all.


    Once he has determined what your tastes are--or what he insists they should be--Olivier and his 50 employees set to work in their laboratory in Ury, a town on the outskirts of Paris. The Creed family moved its London headquarters there in 1854. Paris was more convenient to Creed's principal client at the time, the Hapsburg Empress Sissi.


    As you might expect, the House of Creed doesn't make its juice quite the way other perfumers do. Today most perfumes are made from ingredients macerated in synthetic alcohols, and very often the essences themselves are petroleum-based.


    Creed doesn't use synthetic anything and infuses its ingredients by hand. Lemon verbena, cedar wood, peppermint and pink peppercorns are immersed in oils for months and then pressed by hand into pastes, called concrtes. If you think of peasant girls dancing on grapes to make wine, but with fingers instead of feet, you're not too far off. The pastes are then mixed with ethanol fermented from rare white beets that Creed distills itself.


    Once the perfume has been made, it steeps for weeks, while Olivier periodically sniffs and tinkers, sniffs and tinkers. This is one of the reasons Creed fragrances take so long to make: As "chief of olfactory," Olivier possesses the only nose that passes judgment on a Creed potion.


    When he is not in his laboratory--that's nearly half the year--Olivier Creed travels the world looking for rare and choice odoriferous things. The most expensive are the Florentine Iris and Bulgarian Rose, which cost $50,000 to $80,000 a kilogram. That's more than 30 times the price of a kilo of beluga malossol caviar, according to the FORBES Cost of Living Extremely Well Index (see p. 164).


    Depending on what he packs into your fragrance, the price for 10 liters will range between $20,000 and $30,000. But if you're thinking of a variant of Churchill's Tabarome, the second most expensive Creed ever made, be prepared to spend more: Olivier uses only the best Cuban tobacco.


    There is one more catch: In addition to your initial stock, you are required to purchase an additional 10 liters over a five-year period, which can add thousands to your overall cost. If you can't hack this, you might instead consider a custom-mixed fragrance, blended from any of the 238 fragrances Creed has. This mix will cost between $2,000 and $5,000 for up to 2 liters, which is yours to wear exclusively for one year only.


    You can buy off-the-shelf Creed at the Creed stores in Paris and New York City, or Harrods, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys department stores. But there's a risk of running into someone who smells exactly like you.

    "

    [/quote]



    I would much rather have Lorenzo Villoresi make me my own personal fragrance. And not just because i think he is a better perfumer. From what i have read about him, he seems to be a very gracious, down to earth 'nice guy' and not a pompous and arrogant holier than thou snob like OC.


    Not to mention, LV doesn't charge 20 to 30K. And he doesn't have to deem you "worthy" first.


    OLIVER CREED IS A FREAKIN PRICK!!
    *















































    *Just my humble opinion.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  25. #25

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    In the history of 20th century perfumery, Creed is but a footnote.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

  26. #26

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Let's all take a deep breath guy's. Some like Creed, some like other houses, some dudes, like myself,just like everything, lol! Oliver Creed sure isn't the best nose and some of the best noses have released something horrible now and then. Come on!

  27. #27

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Creed a footnote! I don't think so.

    They are a well respected house with a long history and one of the most copied in the world. I'm sure even designers for other houses appreciate Creed fragrences just like vintners for competing winerys appreciate wines from their competition.

    How many GIT = CW, MI = Unforgivable, Himalaya = XS threads are there?

    I am at a loss to figure out why there is so much negativity toward Creed? It's just a perfume house!

    If you don't happen to like any of their creations, just say that you don't like Creed fragrences.


  28. #28

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by phersurf
    Himalaya = XS

    It should be XS = Himalaya.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

    "I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

  29. #29

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Yepp, the Paco was years ahead.

    MMM

  30. #30

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19
    you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose,hey have rejected proposals to sell the company and the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts

    1)the smell is unique..you will distinguish it at the time you smell it that it's creed

    2)i don't say it is the best house not because i am not satisfied but because this is subjective.what i know is that it is one the top 5 list for sure..

    3)creed never advertises.that means something

    4)The perfumes sell because their complexity, finesse and depth make mass-marketed fragrances seem harsh, clumsy or inanely simplistic. “You can tell a Creed perfume immediately

    5)one of the last houses that uses natural ingredients

    name more than 1 or 2 other houses that have these accomplishments and i will change my mind,i promise

    [blue]I have said it before, and I will say it again. Why is it when someone feels compelled to sing the praises of Creed, they ALWAYS sound like a Creed press release?

    Creed heads tend to post some of the most banal, cliched, endlessly regurgitated, uninspired adversitising soundbites on the board and if this initiating post to this thread isn't a joke, it certainly has my vote for the worst instance of such posting.

    You're going to tell us all something. Really! You're going to tell us "some things" we "should know about Creed". With all due respect, if you're trying to educate us on Creeds and their merits, you have a long long way to go. Sorry, but you sound just like everyone else who has nothing of substance to say on Creed.

    If your going to post something that you dress up as knowledge or as something that you very presumptously believe we haven't considered or really understood, or even heard of before, then you should expect a certain amount of exasperation, perhaps even a little contempt. You've certainly have both from me. Futhermore, you might be really impressed by the fact that a bunch of celebrities buy Creed. You'll find, however, that most of us on the board have moved out of our adolescent phase of idol worship and have slightly more sophisticated criteria for determining the value of things. We tend not to cut and paste things we've read elsewhere and pass them of as revelatory ideas. Most of us make up our own mind on things. We're not followers.

    Now if you could sing the merits of an individual Creed fragrance in the form of a review which didn't rehash what sounds like Creed advertising hype, I'll be the first one to stand up and say bravo, but until then, you're in a long line of many people who really say nothing when they say something about Creeds.

    If you don't believe me, do a search for Creed threads and see just how much you sound like a sorry echo of all the Creed heads that have gone before you.

    scentemental[/blue]



  31. #31

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by scentemental

    [blue]I have said it before and I will say it again. Why is it when someone feels compelled to sing the praises of Creed, they ALWAYS sound like a Creed press release.

    Creed heads tend to produce some of the most banal, cliched, heard-it-all before, rejurgitated, uninspired adversitising soundbites on the board.

    With all due respect, if you're trying to educate us on Creeds and their merits my friend, you have a long way to go. Sorry but you sound just like everyone else who has nothing of substance to say on Creed.

    Please don't take this as a personal attack, but if your going to post something that you dress up as knowledge and something that you very presumptously believe we haven't consider or really understood, or even heard before, then you should expect a certain amount of exasperation, perhaps even a little contempt.

    Now if you could sing the merits of a Creed in the form of a review which didn't rehash what sounds like Creed advertising hype, I'll be the first one to stand up and say bravo, but until then your in a long line of many people who really say nothing when they say something about Creeds.

    If you don't believe me, do a search for Creed threads and see just how much you sound like an echo of all the Creed heads that have gone before you.

    scentemental[/blue]

    Seems like the tide is turning .. I am beginning to see a lot of "Malle head" threads now !
    -

  32. #32

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    [quote author=phersurf link=1149282074/15#26 date=1149290548]
    Himalaya = XS

    It should be XS = Himalaya. [/quote]
    I still don't get this one though I've seen a few people say it.

    There are distinctly different to my nose, with only marginal similarities.


  33. #33

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by phersurf
    I am at a loss to figure out why there is so much negativity toward Creed? It's just a perfume house!

    If you don't happen to like any of their creations, just say that you don't like Creed fragrences.

    [blue]A lot of my negativity, at least, comes from the fact that it almost seems impossible for those who "love" Creeds to do anything else but talk about Creed as a house and not sound like anything else but part of their advertising/propaganda arm. From these kinds of posters, you very rarely get discussion of the fragrances as fragrances, and if you do the discussion almost always drifts back immediately to the cliches that we've heard countless times before about Creed the house being this and that. If there were more discussion of the fragrances and their merits, with out the banal advertising hype, discussion of Creeds would not attract such negativity.

    There is also an assumption that many of us who attack the hype surrounding Creed don't like Creeds. That's not true. I happen to like and appreciate a lot of them; although, as a style of perfumery, they're not really my cup of tea.

    The fact that I don't necessarily "love" Creeds does not necessarily disqualify me from discussing them. Indeed, I've found that the only compelling reviews of Creed fragrances I've ever read on the board have been from people who are not Creed heads and who usually like one or two Creeds and can say something intelligent, unique, and informative on the fragrances they like and why they appreciate them. BTW, such reviewers never feel compelled to hype Creed as a house. Sorry, but I can't say the same for those who "love" Creed and who seem to be more obssessed with the image, history, the celebrity, the tradition, natural ingredients and so on and so on ad infinitum, rather than with the fragrances. The intiating post to this thread is a classic case in point.

    scentemental[/blue]


  34. #34

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by phersurf
    Creed a footnote! I don't think so.

    They are a well respected house with a long history and one of the most copied in the world. I'm sure even designers for other houses appreciate Creed fragrences just like vintners for competing winerys appreciate wines from their competition.

    How many GIT = CW, MI = Unforgivable, *Himalaya = XS threads are there?

    I am at a loss to figure out why there is so much negativity toward Creed? It's just a perfume house!

    If you don't happen to like any of their creations, just say that you don't like Creed fragrences.
    Let me clarify that I'm not making any judgements on the quality of Creed fragrances. When I say that Creed is "but a footnote" in the history of 20th century perfumery, I mean that their role in this context has been a very modest one.

    It's a fact that companies like Guerlain, Coty, Caron, Chanel, and later Estée Lauder were of great importance to the industry, for various reasons. They brought innovation to the world of perfumery on different levels, from manufacturing to advertisement and marketing. Creed is a different story. They are a small house with a big following. Good for them. But despite their nice success in business, they still remain rather insignificant to the industry as a whole. They were not involved in innovations, made no revolutionary contributions, nor were they ever responsible for a particularly original take on fragrance in artistic terms.

    In the grand scheme of things, Olivier Creed is just one of many perfumers. Purely based on his accomplishments in the industry over the past decades, he deserves no more praise than any of his talented colleagues. I see no reason to single out Creed as the company that sets the standard for everyone else. They make a good product, but so do many others. I think that Thierry Mugler's Angel , to name an example, had a far bigger impact on perfumery than anything Creed ever made - regardless of how good some of their fragrances actually are. So yes, a footnote, and definitely not a separate chapter.

    And Forbes magazine? With the lot of us here on Basenotes, we're much better informed.
    [font=verdana][url=http://del.icio.us/scentedpages][b]my bookmarks on del.icio.us[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=http://www.nstperfume.com/perfume-books/][b]my book reviews on NST[/b][/url][/font]
    [font=verdana][url=www.scentedpages.com][b]ScentedPages.com[/b][/url][/font]

  35. #35

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    I've been flying a lot lately, so pardon the airline analogy, but it seems apt. To me Creed is like Economy Plus. It's not quite First Class, but it's not plain old Economy either. I like some of their frags, but also think there's nothing really earth-shaking about them. They're friendly, easy-to-wear, and when I need a scent that I feel won't offend anyone, I reach for the Creeds. They're expensive and seem to be well-made, yet they also seem to be made to appeal to many people and not just those of us who like fragrance and are more likely to buy oddball or groundbreaking scents. That is, they're nice, but rarely do they inspire me in any way. (Oddly, the least popular ones are the ones I seem to like best.)

    All that said, their obsession with famous people really cheapens their image, IMO. I find the name-dropping pathetic. I also think that their bottles and sprayers are junk. They just feel cheap and don't match the image of "quality" that Creed is trying to create with their marketing. And whenever they or one of their fans mentions the "natural ingredients," a big red flag goes up for me. That subject has been covered extensively in other threads, so there's no need to belabor it here. These things make it less likely for me to buy Creed outright - I tend to opt for decants so that I am not paying for Creed's marketing, PR, and packaging.

    When posters mention these things, it diminishes the quality of their post IMO. It also makes me less likely to reach for Creed, as it leaves a bad taste in my mouth about the house, their marketing, and those who parrot that marketing.

  36. #36

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    In the history of 20th century perfumery, Creed is but a footnote.

    [blue]Marcello,

    I 'm sure you already understand the irony of how your comment will not register with many of those to whom it is directed. If one has read nothing else but Creed advertising hype and if one is a Creed head who is dedicated to repeating blindly what one has gleaned about Creed from such paragons of fairness in advertising and journalism such as Forbes, then the fact that for people who really know something about the art, the history, and the production of perfumes and fragrances Creed truly is--as you rightly say--"but a footnote" will utimately mean nothing.

    Olivier Creed "the world's greatest living nose"? Give me a break. Creed as a house by its very nature is a anachronism. Simple formulas using mostly natural ingredients to produce simple effects. A house base that pretty much runs through all their fragrances. Very original and very innovative. Not. What many people fail to understand is that in terms of the huge achievements of modern perfumery, Olivier Creed is, relativley speaking, little more than an amateur with lots of money mixing essential oils, while the great perfumers such as François Coty, Ernest Beaux, Earnest Daltroff, Jean Carles, Edmond Roundnitska, Jean Paul Guerlain, Jean Kerleo, to name a few, have produced monuments of originality through the intersection of chemistry and art and have defined the direction of modern perfumery and its perfumes. If one honestly doesn't know who these perfumers are and if one honestly doesn't know their creations, on what possible basis can one claim that "Olivier Creed is the world's greatest living nose". Sophia Grojsman with the creation of Trésor in 1990 basically out of 4 aromachemicals has had more influence on the direction of modern perfumery than Olivier Creed could ever hope to have and as yet hasn't had in the slightest. Olivier Creed might be a legend in his own mind and in the minds of Creed acolytes, certainly, but in the big bad and real world of perfumery and its history and its momentous achievements in the field of aromachemistry, he is irrelevant. That's right, irrelevant. A footnote is being generous. A truer measure of Olivier Creed's influence and centrality to modern perfumery would be to say a footnote to a footnote. Trust me, when students at all the great perfume schools study to be a perfumer, they don't study Creeds as part of their training. They start by trying to match the perfumes and fragrances of the truly great modern noses as a way of being intiated into the complex, modern art of perfumery. Creeds don't even rate a look in these schools. Modern perfumery has moved away from 18th century modes of production and conceptions. Like I said, Creed is an anachronism and is irrelevant to present and the future development of the art of perfumery. Olivier Creed "the world's greatest living nose"? Not even close. This whole thread is a joke, right?

    scentemental[/blue]


  37. #37

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    I LOVE CREED!

    BUT...

    I can also respect the opinion of someone who thinks I am CRAZY
    Even though I'd think they were NUTZ
    ;D

    The fact is that if everyone liked the same stuff...life would be sooooo uninteresting.
    CREED RULES! But Parfumerie-Generale RULES a wee bit more IMO!
    ;D ;D ;D


  38. #38

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [quote author=Marcello link=1149282074/15#24 date=1149289155]In the history of 20th century perfumery, Creed is but a footnote.

    [blue]Marcello,

    I hope you can see the irony of how your comment will not register with many of those to whom it is intend. If you've read nothing else but Creed advertising hype and if you're a Creed head who is dedicated to repeating blindly what you've gleaned about Creed from such paragons of fairness in advertising and journalism such as Forbes, then the fact that among people who really know something about the art and history of production of perfumery Creed truly is--as you rightly say--"but a footnote" will utimately mean nothing.

    Olivier Creed one of the greatest noses ever? Give me a break. Creed as a house by its very nature is a anachronism. Simple formulas using mostly natural ingredients to produce simple effects. A house base that pretty much runs through all their fragrances. Very original and very innovative. Not. What many people fail to understand is that in terms of the huge achievements of modern perfumery, Olivier Creed is, relativley speaking, little more than an amateur with lots of money mixing essential oils, while the great perfumers such as Francois Coty, Ernest Beaux, Earnest Daltroff, Edmond Roundnitska, Jean Paul Guerlain, Jean Kerleo, to name a few, have produced monuments of originality through the intersection of chemistry and art and have defined the direction of modern perfumery and its perfumes. If one honestly doesn't know who these perfumers are and if one honestly doesn't know their creations, on what possible basis can one claim that Olivier Creed is one of the century's great noses. A legend in his own mind and in the mind of Creed acolytes, certainly, but in the big bad real world of perfumery and its history and its momentous achievements, he's irrelevant. That's right, irrelevant. A footnote is being generous. A truer measure of Olivier Creed's influence and centrality to modern perfumery would be to say a footnote to a footnote. Trust me, when students at all the great perfume schools study to be a perfumer, they don't study Creeds as part of their training. They start by trying to match the perfumes and fragrances of the truly great noses as a way of being intiated into the complex, modern art of perfumery. Creeds don't even rate a look in these schools. Modern perfumery has moved away from 18th century modes of production and conceptions. Like I said, Creed is an anachronism and anachronisms are never relevant to the present or the future. A footnote. Yes, indeed.

    scentemental[/blue][/quote]

    Yes you are right. The Niche house parfumers arent taught in the top perfumery schools. You wont see any MPG, Annick Goutal and F. Malle perfumers work being taught as case studies too.

    Also, most of the perfumers work being looked at in these schools are from the 17th and 18th century...and Olivier Creed certainly wasnt alive during that time ! And yes, Creed wasnt that involved in the way the industry evolved to include chic marketing etc.

    As for ground breaking fragrances, I think Royal English Leather (1780) and Orange Spice (1950 - the era of heavy musk frags) were pretty groundbreaking for their time.
    -

  39. #39

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    In the months that I've been a member of BN I've read alot of posts about Creed. As Scentemental eloquently stated, most of the Creed posts on here typically mention a specific fragrance, then quickly digress into an advertisement for the House of Creed and it's history.

    I bought MI after Unforgiveable because I read how much better MI was, and I figured if I like Unforgiveable, I'll really like MI. Maybe it's my untrained nose, but I couldn't tell the difference, they both smell great, and last about the same time on my skin. I want MI to smell better cause it cost me twice what Unforgiveable did, but that's how it goes.

    I see the allure of Creed being it's product positioning, niche house, high end fragrances, but not out of reach of many consumers. A similar analogy would be the car industry, where car manufacturers such as Cadillac, Lexus, Infinity, Volkswagon market to people who can't afford or refuse to pay the prices for Mercedes, Porche, and BMW. Try and tell a Cadillac owner their car is car is basically a Chevy and watch them freak, or a Lexus their car is really a Toyota.

    People seem to want to maintain the status of Creed as in their eyes it places them at a level above the typical AdG or DG PH wearer, and not so far below some of the real niche houses.

  40. #40

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    IT'S OFFICIAL! CREED IS NO LONGER A NICHE HOUSE!
    Assuming that a very high price structure will unto itself create some exclusivity, and that Creed was at one time "exclusive" and therefore could be considered "niche", Creed is now so widely available and highly discounted that it can no longer be considered niche. Now, $150 bottles are routinely sold for $75-$90 at discount perfume stores all over the US and assumedly other countries. It is now therefore simply a slightly higher priced line than average designer frags and should be evaluated regarding its cost/quality value accordingly. In this light it probably deserves a somewhat higher evaluation than previously.
    Well, I can buy Annick Goutal frags online for about $40 and Serge Lutens and L'Artisan for around $80-$85 (all niche houses) - its only a matter of time before F. Malle frags become better known and they too will be available online for non-retail prices too.
    -

  41. #41

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Can't we all just get along

  42. #42

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    i quite like vintage tabarome and if anyone could point me in the direction of an easier to find and cheaper smellalike i'd be grateful.

  43. #43

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    The rest of his creations are pretty average.

    Alexander McQueen MyQueen (2005, with Anne Flipo)
    Burberry Burberry London for women (2006)
    Cacharel Amor Amor (2003, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Calvin Klein Euphoria (2005, with Loc Dong & Carlos Benaim)
    Caron Aimez Moi (1996)
    Christian Dior Pure Poison (2004, with Carlos Benaïm & Olivier Polge)
    Escada Casual Friday (1999)
    Escada Sentiment Pour Homme (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Escada Sexy Graffiti (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flowers (2005)
    Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (2002)
    Giorgio Armani Armani Code for women (2006, with Carlos Benaim & Olivier Polge)
    Givenchy Amarige (1991)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible for women (with Sophie Labbe & Carlos Benaim)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible Sensual (2005)
    Givenchy Ysatis (1984)
    Givenchy Ysatis Iris
    Jennifer Lopez Live (2005)
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant (1996)
    Kenzo Jungle Tigre
    Krizia Krazy (1991)
    Lalique Le Parfum (2005)
    Lancome Tresor Eau de Printemps Sheer (2006)
    Maxims de Paris (1984)
    Nam Long Miss Saigon
    Ralph Lauren Safari (1990, with others)
    Thierry Mugler Alien (2005, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania (2005)
    Yardley Lace (1984)
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris Premieres Roses (2003, with Sophia Grojsman & Laurent Bruyere)

    You decide between Creed and Ropion now.

    [blue]I am not interested in the rather sterile argument about whether Ropion/Malle is better than the house of Creed, but I will point out one thing.

    Ysatis is considered by lead perfumers and those in the industry to be a thoroughly original modern interpretation of the traditional chypre accord that opens many posssibilities for the further development of other fragrances. In this sense, it's a benchmark fragrance in the history of fragrances of the twentieth century. It is this fragrance on which Ropion's reputation is primarily based. The trouble when you get into slanging matches about which house is better than which or which perfumer is better than another perfumer is the that focus is taken away from the fragrances. You have confined one of the most respected fragrances of the last 30 years to mediocrity on the bases of what? On the basis of a cursory look at a list of fragrances.

    Again, why can't Creed "lovers" say anything constructive and original about Creed fragrances themselves? Why do you feel compelled to attack a respected nose as a way of insisting Creed fragrances are better than all others. Plus, I find it comical your making a concession to Ropion because he only has two great fragrances under his belt. With all due respect, how many great fragrances do you, or I for that matter, have under out belts?

    Somebody's got to lift the level of rational, informative, informed discussion on this board. I haven't seen it, and I don't see it coming from those who feel a burning need to defend the House of Creed as a house at all costs.

    scentemental[/blue]






  44. #44

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    I smell an awful lot of incense burning lately around the heads of Creed and family. Nothing new, just the same I always read on their sample material and the Creed website. There is obviously little that could be verified and much that sounds like fairyland (4711 did that in the 19th century, and in their case a lot of it was proven to be wrong!) Surprising: the vehement activity of new members!

    Am I the only one considering the possibility of sudden attempts to brainwash basenotes' long term members? After all, Creed have had a taste of their own for what is good or bad in marketing.

    I am not a Malle head, but I am impressed by Edition Malle! I happen to love one Creed cologne, would consider wearing a second, and acknowledge the quality of a third. That has not changed since 2004.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  45. #45

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    I too cannot understand how this discussion of Creed became a rant against Malle and these so-called "Malle Heads" (Where are these people anyway? They must be a silent minority or something. Do they have weekly meetings somewhere? Does liking a fragrance, or even a house, now condemn one to being a parrot of that house's marketing and PR? It seems we have to be able to distinguish between those who mindlessly repeat a house's claims and those who just happen to like a house and its works.).

    Attacks like that do seem to be about taking the easy way out, as in: "Hey, I can't make an argument based on the merits of Creed's fragrances themselves, so I'll bash something else." Or maybe: "If I can't build the biggest building, I'll tear someone else's down." I don't get that mentality.

    I also don't get why Malle was singled out. Surely there are better targets.

    And really, none of this would be at issue if there weren't people making grandiose and unprovable claims about Creed as a house (again, not their fragrances). It's just a perfume house folks. I don't see these same sorts of wildly hyperbolic claims being made about other houses.

  46. #46

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    *Do they have weekly meetings somewhere? *Does liking a fragrance, or even a house, now condemn one to being a parrot of that house's marketing and PR? **
    ixnay on the ecretsay eetingsmay!!!!! :-X

  47. #47

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Very interesting to see a newbie come in here and try to school us on the house of Creed...
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  48. #48

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    I don't know how I found this thread but it's entertaining. I run with all kinds of big powerful boys and girls in Hollywood, and they wear A LOT of perfume. I can tell you that very few of them I know are wearing Creed perfumes. From my years spent in Paris it was always made clear to me that Creed as a house was considered second rate, if that. I see that Marcello and Scentemental covered some of this in depth earlier in this thread (brilliant writing btw). It has been my experience that they often smell good, but as whole fragrances the Creeds pale in comparison with hundreds of others. Just my two cents. It seems like a great site. I hope to spend more time around here if time allows.
    Last edited by Grind; 21st March 2008 at 07:35 AM.

  49. #49

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    It's Good Friday and it's early morning, I'm drinking coffee and fancied a good read. This thread has been a bit like a mini-civil war.

    For my part, I think a lot of the tension surrounding the Creed issue is people who are insecure buying into the name hoping that it will give them some cachet in their lives. Does it make them a bigger and better, new improved person if they own Creed?

    I've had a wander through the Creed sections of the big department stores and have tried most of the ones I'd heard about. I think Bois De Portugal is over-rated by quite some way, Irish Tweed I do quite like and Original Satal I like too. But not to the point where the fragrances have grabbed me and said that I have to have them.

    I've noticed this is other areas of life too. I'm a photographer and find that you'll get camera snobs getting all worked up in a lather about some obscure lens, where really it doesn't matter because a brilliant photographer will produce brilliant images with a standard lens.

    In fragrances as in other areas in life, I buy what does the job. There are many off the shelf fragrances I buy which I buy because they simply smell great on me or I just feel great wearing them.

    All this stuff about heritage is wonderful, but ultimately meaningless except for anoraks. And talking about Heritage, I'd rather wear that (and indeed do) than certain Creeds, just simply because it's a beautifully blended scent. And if we are going to talk about houses I prefer Guerlain or Hermes on the whole to Creed, but I am not going to get uptight about it. Just because I like those houses doesn't mean I'd never wear Creed.

    I also like Penhaligons, another old fine perfumery, particularly Endymion, which if it lasted longer I would certainly buy by the bucket load.

    Ultimately folks, this is supposed to be something we can talk about which brings us pleasure, we're not talking about the rivalry between football teams here...

  50. #50
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,224

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

    Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS View Post
    To be honest I have never seen advertisement from so many houses. I don't think that not advertising says anything at all. It doesn't prove that Creed is better in anyway. The eye of the beholder is where it matters. Ever person has their own tastes and that is where popularity comes in. I think Creed makes fragrances to be wildly popular even though it is still a niche house.

    I think the fragrance speaks for itself and Creed just does not make the best smells for me. There are some from Creed in my Top 5 but not enough to make me love is quite as much as so many do.

    I like a little bit from a lot of different houses.

    I think that all niche houses create unique blends of notes that have strange and amazing qualities to them.

    Natural ingredients don't mean anything but natural. Smells are smells. If it is good then who cares if the igredients are natural or synthetic. I want a good fragrance and that is all I care about.

    So, to me Creed is overrated by many. I like the house but don't obssess over its few achievements. I have found great stuff from so many houses wether they be designer, niche, natural, old, new, sythetic or whatever. Good is good. I don't feel Creed overdoes good to make perfect scents.

    EnvYuS
    I agree..... I would find it rather weird for someone to fall in love with a house since that would mean enjoying ALL or at least a significant number of their creations, which i find to be even more incredible. I think the variations provided are for the different tastes from different individuals. I can only fall in love with a scent, but never the house. So far ive personally not favoured more than 3 scents from a single house or label. And unless that house or label happens to only produce 2-3 frags, like the male range from guy laroche for eg. I quite like DN from guy L but still find it hard to hold a single label or house in such high regard.
    EnvYuS provides an easier to rationalise perspective. In fact "The eye of the beholder is where it matters" should be enuff said...

    I have totally nothing against creed, though i feel some actually get a feel-good sense of novelty which could explain the house obsession. I believe many can say that creed use the best ingedients but as to whether they actually find the scent appealing is a total diff picture altogether, I'll be honest, if i had spent over 200 on a bottle of niche and found it to be not my liking, i would have some fear of being mocked at or teased for not knowing how to appreciate the ingredients used. Ive noticed some rude comments like "are u kidding me?" over a niche frag that an individual just did not enjoy regardless of its many diehard fans. I really felt bad for that individual but since i had no reason to intefere, i just watched as they teased that member one after another. they can use the finest essence in the world, but if they are smelling like a no-no, i wouldnt continue praising it. I would acknowledge the effort or expense, but not necessarily praise.
    Last edited by MFJ; 28th July 2008 at 07:16 PM.

  51. #51

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Funniest thread in a while It seems like the quote tags were a little weird back in 2006.

    It's cool to be passionate about out favorite perfumes... but sometimes we forget to enjoy one scent a time, to enjoy a scent as an abstraction. Forget noses, forget advertisement, forget label.

    In the end it all comes down to how much a cologne is able to squeeze your guts (in a good way). Everything else is... well, a footnote
    Last edited by irish; 28th July 2008 at 07:42 PM.

  52. #52

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Five years ago Creed was my favorite house hands down. My favorite perfumer though was the original Creed who made Vintage Tabarome and Royal English Leather. The vintage Creeds are some of the most well crafted scents to date and yes ORIGINAL in the way the Beatles are the most innovative rock band ever. Now their creations may not seem original but they did it before anyone else had a clue. As for newer Creed creations, I'm getting bored and frustrated. They are now in my top ten as far as houses go but one can't ignore Ellena's work along with Il Profumo (a very overlooked house) scents designed by Silvano Casoli, or the works of Lorenso Villoresmi, or Pierre Guillaume. Then of course there are the Godfathers like Maurice Roucel and Edward Roudnitska and one can't put aside Olivia Giacobetti. Oh poor Coty hasn't even been whispered either (the man not the abomination of a company). So to single out THE greatest nose is a difficult thing. An impossible thing, I didn't even bring up Chris Sheldrake or Jacques Poige yet. There are others who should be listed here as well (LaPorte etc.) the point is it's a wonderful thing that there are so many legends alive and at work.

    As for who wears what, exclusivity is one thing good taste is another. A friend of mine who is a multi-millionaire under 30, wears Aqua Velva. Much respect to THE VELVA of course but I think I made my point . . .

    Cheers,
    Al
    Last edited by anak; 28th July 2008 at 07:50 PM.

  53. #53

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19 View Post
    3)creed never advertises.that means something
    This is not true. Their website has an archive of recent advertizing
    Last edited by surreality; 28th July 2008 at 11:30 PM.

  54. #54

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Spain's Alfonso XIII wore a scent with a faint woody odor called Green Irish Tweed
    That's from Forbes?! They need a new fact checker.

    Green Irish Tweed was created in 1985. Spain's Alphonso XIII died on February 28th, 1941.

    Typical, though.

    I've heard that Olivier Creed invented the internet and was the original bass player for the Beatles, too.

  55. #55
    dpak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve
    Posts
    664

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    This is not true. Their website has an archive of recent advertizing
    Perhaps I'm being naive, but those all appear to be from articles or mentions in magazines, not ads.

    I'm still baffled (and often amused) by the slavish following or knee jerk hatred of Creed. Please, keep it up!
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?



  56. #56

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    Perhaps I'm being naive, but those all appear to be from articles or mentions in magazines, not ads.

    I'm still baffled (and often amused) by the slavish following or knee jerk hatred of Creed. Please, keep it up!
    I think a picture, a blurb, and a price are more akin to being advertising than they are to being an article.

  57. #57

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Gotta love senseless necroposting ..
    -

  58. #58
    Hoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    959
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    What? You woulda preferred another, new thread on this crap? At least it's resurrected and not another new one.
    Brent

    Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."


  59. #59
    Hoos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    959
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    That's from Forbes?! They need a new fact checker.

    Green Irish Tweed was created in 1985. Spain's Alphonso XIII died on February 28th, 1941.

    Typical, though.

    I've heard that Olivier Creed invented the internet and was the original bass player for the Beatles, too.
    Actually, Green Irish Tweed (non-Creed) has been around for a long time as a scent name. I've seen perfume bottles in other stores from long before Creed's launch of it in 1985.

    So, Alphonso may very well have worn a Green Irish Tweed scent. It just wasn't Creed's.
    Brent

    Catherine Deneuve: "You should put scent where you like to be kissed."


  60. #60

    Default Re: some things that you should know about creed part

    Quote Originally Posted by T. Rex, Esq. View Post
    That's from Forbes?! They need a new fact checker.

    Green Irish Tweed was created in 1985. Spain's Alphonso XIII died on February 28th, 1941.

    Typical, though.

    I've heard that Olivier Creed invented the internet and was the original bass player for the Beatles, too.
    I am not a Creed fanatic but, in their defense, many Creeds were originally commissioned as bespoke fragrances by people such as Alphonso XIII. It is only after their death or the end of other contractual arrangements that Creed is able to offer these fragrances to the general public. It is not as simple as 'fact checking' dates.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Similar Threads

  1. Creed Blending
    By evogel in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 28th May 2012, 07:28 AM
  2. Creed Vetiver (1948) VS Creed Original vetiver
    By Dry_Martini in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 15th April 2012, 01:21 AM
  3. For my 1,000th post - a little perspective on Creed
    By TwoRoads in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 19th March 2008, 07:43 PM
  4. Wanna Know if Your Creed is a Fake?
    By Stuffman in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 27th March 2006, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •