Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default some things that you should know about creed part

you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose,hey have rejected proposals to sell the company and the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts

1)the smell is unique..you will distinguish it at the time you smell it that it's creed

2)i don't say it is the best house not because i am not satisfied but because this is subjective.what i know is that it is one the top 5 list for sure..

3)creed never advertises.that means something

4)The perfumes sell because their complexity, finesse and depth make mass-marketed fragrances seem harsh, clumsy or inanely simplistic. “You can tell a Creed perfume immediately

5)one of the last houses that uses natural ingredients

name more than 1 or 2 other houses that have these accomplishments and i will change my mind,i promise

Default Re: some things that you should know about creed p

To be honest I have never seen advertisement from so many houses. I don't think that not advertising says anything at all. It doesn't prove that Creed is better in anyway. The eye of the beholder is where it matters. Ever person has their own tastes and that is where popularity comes in. I think Creed makes fragrances to be wildly popular even though it is still a niche house.

I think the fragrance speaks for itself and Creed just does not make the best smells for me. There are some from Creed in my Top 5 but not enough to make me love is quite as much as so many do.

I like a little bit from a lot of different houses.

I think that all niche houses create unique blends of notes that have strange and amazing qualities to them.

Natural ingredients don't mean anything but natural. Smells are smells. If it is good then who cares if the igredients are natural or synthetic. I want a good fragrance and that is all I care about.

So, to me Creed is overrated by many. I like the house but don't obssess over its few achievements. I have found great stuff from so many houses wether they be designer, niche, natural, old, new, sythetic or whatever. Good is good. I don't feel Creed overdoes good to make perfect scents.

EnvYuS

Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19

The way you wrote it it's not true. I've seen a lot of fragrances that state in their ingredients list the latin names of one or more plants. So using natural ingredients seems quite common with designer frags for me. But Envyus is right about the natural/artificial thing, so....

you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose,hey have rejected proposals to sell the company and *the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do *because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts

1)the smell is unique..you will distinguish it at the time you smell it that it's creed

2)i don't say it is the best house not because i am not satisfied but because this is subjective.what i know is that it is one the top 5 list for sure..

4)The perfumes sell because their complexity, finesse and depth make mass-marketed fragrances seem harsh, clumsy or inanely simplistic. “You can tell a Creed perfume immediately

name more than 1 or 2 other houses that have these accomplishments and i will change my mind,i promise
    antonio, I am a big Creed fan too. But you cant force anyone else to like something that you do. You think Creed is the best there is? Great! I think so too. But that doesnt mean that everyone else has to think the same way. The Dallas Mavericks are doing great in the NBA...but that doesnt mean that they are my favorite team, although they might be of many. Real Madrid have won the most champions league trophys in european club history .... I admire them, but they arent my favorite, although they have a large following.

Many basenoters recognise the contribution that Creed has made to the parfum industry, whether they think its the best out there and not. And thats good enough already !
    -

Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.

By the way, did you get straight F's in English class?
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose, *
    by whom???????? *are these the same people with American Idol who thought Kenny Rogers and Barry Manilow were legends?
    they have rejected proposals to sell the company and *the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do *because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts
    This is an opinion, like most here. *It isn't quantifiable. *However, I will vehemently disagree that their fragrances are instantly recognizable. *They're nice. *The older ones, maybe stand apart. *The new ones are nice. *They're both opinions and not something which can be measured. *

i'll agree they're probably in my top 5 or at least top 10 houses. *That's going to change if Olivier and Erwin don't find a pulse and create something original. *

Yet they have no problem letting you know all the celebrities that wear them on their own website!!!!!!! *That's not advertising, but it's on the dark side of the gray area.....it's free advertising to tout themselves. *
    they also have snob appeal. *in addition you listed all the celebrities that wear them. then you turn around and say that it's all about the fragrances. *you can't have it both ways.....which one is it?

One of the last, but not the only. *Also, I'll say this again......
    AMMMM I'll say it again too, and people did in the last post. *Frederic Malle, Villoresi, MPG, L'artisan, all stand above recent Creed scents in terms of creativity and are on par in terms of quality at the very least. *

To make it short, it's posts like these that make me want to despise what Creed is about and fancies themselves. *I wish I was mature enough to ingore this stuff. *

Dude, I would take all these "facts" about this house with a fistfull of salt. I´ve heard everything from treasure chests of Erolfa being found inside the sunken titanic (didn´t it launch in the 90´s to begin with?) to the ususal ramblings of all historical figures wearing their stuff. Still I´m yet to see any vintage bottles going on ebay, something found all the time with Guerlain, Patou etc...

I Like Creed also, have 7 bottles myself, but I base this appreciation on my personal opinion that some of them smell great (by no means all) + I got 6 at a cheap price, wouldn´t pay full price ever, just not worth it. As for the celebrity factor I honestly see that as a tacky side fact, couldn´t care less what retard Becks is wearing, he should have focused more on creating something nice instead of his sub.par crap of a juice.

Next we have the 2 latest releases, OV & OS which are both balancing very dangerously on blatant plagiarism, you can´t just take 2 best seller juices and tweak the up a notch by better ingredients, not kosher in my book.

These guys need to shape up and start putting out excellent stuff like Acier Aluminium, Royal Delight, Baie de Genievre and Santal Imperial again, til then I´ll remain sceptic.

And you Antonio need to take a class in critical analysis

MMM

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc
    Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?
    I have read that same fact in many articles including Forbes.

Original Vetiver and Original Santal were mainly creations of Erwin Creed, not Olivier...OV is pretty good, and give the young guy (Erwin) a break...hes trying to learn a trade, and has still some ways to go .. OV and OS are still better than lets say YSL or Hermes or Guerlains latest disasters.
    -

DUDE, IT IS NOT A FACT!!!!!!
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    DUDE IT IS NOT A FACT!!!!!!
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Deffinately agreed. Who decides who is the best?? Was there a test?

I don't see how that could possibly be any fact. Each person has preference and yours is towards Creed and old man Oliver but he is not the best. I don't think there could be such a statement towards any one nose in the entire world. Bias is one major issue along with personal tastes. That is no fact at all.

I did hear about Erwin's involvement in the two original smells created recently though. I'm not sure what to believe with Creed these days...

EnvYuS

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    [quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?

Original Vetiver and Original Santal were mainly creations of Erwin Creed, not Olivier...OV is pretty good, and give the young guy (Erwin) a break...hes trying to learn a trade, and has still some ways to go .. OV and OS are still better than lets say YSL or Hermes or Guerlains latest disasters.
    [/quote]

Well those "disasters" are all wonderful in my opinion. And if I liked OV I'd still get Mugler Cologne.

[quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?

[/quote]

Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are a few i can think of who, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

[quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?

[/quote]

Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are three i can think of that, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.[/quote]

Ropion, the creator of such "masterpieces" as Armani Black Code and Givenchy Very Irresistable? LOL :P
    -

[quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#11 date=1149285358][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?

[/quote]

Olivia Giacobetti, Jean-Claude Ellena and Dominique Ropion are three i can think of that, IMO, can run circles around O. Creed. And thats just off the top of my head.[/quote]

Ropion, the creator of such "masterpieces" as Armani Black Code and Givenchy Very Irresistable? LOL :P
    [/quote]

He also did Vetiver Extraordiaire and Carnal Flower.

^ I'd add Maurice Roucel (Rochas Man, new Haarlem)
    but Im not gonna comment on these alleged facts :-X

[quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#12 date=1149285557][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#11 date=1149285358][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?

[/quote]

Ropion, the creator of such "masterpieces" as Armani Black Code and Givenchy Very Irresistable? LOL *:P
    [/quote]

He also did Vetiver Extraordiaire and Carnal Flower.[/quote]

Ok, so those two are good frags. The rest of his creations are pretty average. Heres his resume:

Alexander McQueen MyQueen (2005, with Anne Flipo)
    Burberry Burberry London for women (2006)
    Cacharel Amor Amor (2003, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Calvin Klein Euphoria (2005, with Loc Dong & Carlos Benaim)
    Caron Aimez Moi (1996)
    Christian Dior Pure Poison (2004, with Carlos Benaïm & Olivier Polge)
    Escada Casual Friday (1999)
    Escada Sentiment Pour Homme (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Escada Sexy Graffiti (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flowers (2005)
    Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (2002)
    Giorgio Armani Armani Code for women (2006, with Carlos Benaim & Olivier Polge)
    Givenchy Amarige (1991)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible for women (with Sophie Labbe & Carlos Benaim)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible Sensual (2005)
    Givenchy Ysatis (1984)
    Givenchy Ysatis Iris
    Jennifer Lopez Live (2005)
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant (1996)
    Kenzo Jungle Tigre
    Krizia Krazy (1991)
    Lalique Le Parfum (2005)
    Lancome Tresor Eau de Printemps Sheer (2006)
    Maxims de Paris (1984)
    Nam Long Miss Saigon
    Ralph Lauren Safari (1990, with others)
    Thierry Mugler Alien (2005, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania (2005)
    Yardley Lace (1984)
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris Premieres Roses (2003, with Sophia Grojsman & Laurent Bruyere)

You decide between Creed and Ropion now.
    -

double post

Obviously it´s completely useless debating with you. BUT answer one question please, what sources do you have to support the history about this company except all the text that is featured on http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/ which they clearly have written themselves. Nowhere in my extensive collection of books on classical perfumery are they mentioned except a brief bit on GIT from the 80´s. Present me an independentt source confirming all their historical claims (again that does not use ANY of the text on that website or obvious promo material).
    I double dare you. You´ll be sorely dissapointed to find out there´s been plenty of revisionism going on in the 8th arrondisement.

MMM

personally id take safari over any creed any day of any week

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Obviously it´s completely useless debating with you. BUT answer one question please, what sources do you have to support the history about this company except all the text that is featured on http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/ which they clearly have written themselves. Nowhere in my extensive collection of books on classical perfumery are they mentioned except a brief bit on GIT from the 80´s. Present me an independentt source confirming all their historical claims (again that does not use ANY of the text on that website or obvious promo material).
    I double dare you. You´ll be sorely dissapointed to find out there´s been plenty of revisionism going on in the 8th arrondisement.

MMM
    I recently read this article on Forbes.com, October 11, 1999 :

"
    The Sweet Smell of Excess

NAPOLEON III WORE a scent that smelled like leather, and not just any old leather, either. Russian leather. Spain's Alfonso XIII wore a scent with a faint woody odor called Green Irish Tweed. Winston Churchill's personal perfume, dubbed Tabarome, smelled of tobacco. All these scents have one thing in common: They were made exclusively for their wearers by the House of Creed, which started doing this sort of thing for England's George III in 1760, and has kept on doing it straight through to such modern royalty as JFK and Marilyn Monroe.

If you regard most ordinary store-bought scents as nothing more than Brut by a fancier name, be advised: The House of Creed will infuse, say, the essence of hard disks, stale coffee and telephone wire into an exclusive perfume for any cyber-gazillionaire willing to shell out up to thirty grand and wait six months.

The deal is, Creed will brew up a batch of 10 liters. That's more perfume than anyone can wear in a lifetime, but you could hand out bottles to 300 friends. For five years, Creed promises not to sell the perfume to anyone else.

After that, your pool man can wear it--if he pays the $160 Creed charges for four ounces of Imperiale Millesime, the fragrance commissioned by Saudi King Faisal. It comes in a 22-karat gold-plated flask. All but two of Creed's 32 over-the-counter perfumes started as exclusives, including the Royal English Leather scent it made for George III.

If you're in the market for a Creed potion of your own, get in line. You'll have to wait months for an appointment with Olivier Creed, the current head of the house. Creed sits down with the client to create a kind of olfactory portrait.

"I'm like a psychoanalyst," muses the French-born Creed, 56, who started working for his father in the family business when he was 19. "I ask them about their hobbies and their loved places and then I try to create a scent that evokes these. Perfume should make you travel."

But don't think that just because you've got the time or the money, Olivier will put his impeccable nose at your disposal. He must deem you worthy. "Sometimes I say non!--it will be not a good thing for you to have your own fragrance," says Olivier in his Pepe-le-Pew English. "It's not only a question of snobbishness: Appreciating Creed requires education." Oh, yes, it's also a question of snobbishness.

Creed can afford to be as snooty as he wants to be. Though he has only enough time to make 15 custom-made perfumes a year, Olivier Creed says the company still generates $40 million in wholesale revenue annually and enjoys a profit margin of 12%, nearly double the industry norm. He owns it all.

Once he has determined what your tastes are--or what he insists they should be--Olivier and his 50 employees set to work in their laboratory in Ury, a town on the outskirts of Paris. The Creed family moved its London headquarters there in 1854. Paris was more convenient to Creed's principal client at the time, the Hapsburg Empress Sissi.

As you might expect, the House of Creed doesn't make its juice quite the way other perfumers do. Today most perfumes are made from ingredients macerated in synthetic alcohols, and very often the essences themselves are petroleum-based.

Creed doesn't use synthetic anything and infuses its ingredients by hand. Lemon verbena, cedar wood, peppermint and pink peppercorns are immersed in oils for months and then pressed by hand into pastes, called concrtes. If you think of peasant girls dancing on grapes to make wine, but with fingers instead of feet, you're not too far off. The pastes are then mixed with ethanol fermented from rare white beets that Creed distills itself.

Once the perfume has been made, it steeps for weeks, while Olivier periodically sniffs and tinkers, sniffs and tinkers. This is one of the reasons Creed fragrances take so long to make: As "chief of olfactory," Olivier possesses the only nose that passes judgment on a Creed potion.

When he is not in his laboratory--that's nearly half the year--Olivier Creed travels the world looking for rare and choice odoriferous things. The most expensive are the Florentine Iris and Bulgarian Rose, which cost $50,000 to $80,000 a kilogram. That's more than 30 times the price of a kilo of beluga malossol caviar, according to the FORBES Cost of Living Extremely Well Index (see p. 164).

Depending on what he packs into your fragrance, the price for 10 liters will range between $20,000 and $30,000. But if you're thinking of a variant of Churchill's Tabarome, the second most expensive Creed ever made, be prepared to spend more: Olivier uses only the best Cuban tobacco.

There is one more catch: In addition to your initial stock, you are required to purchase an additional 10 liters over a five-year period, which can add thousands to your overall cost. If you can't hack this, you might instead consider a custom-mixed fragrance, blended from any of the 238 fragrances Creed has. This mix will cost between $2,000 and $5,000 for up to 2 liters, which is yours to wear exclusively for one year only.

You can buy off-the-shelf Creed at the Creed stores in Paris and New York City, or Harrods, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys department stores. But there's a risk of running into someone who smells exactly like you.

"

-

[quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#13 date=1149285768][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#12 date=1149285557][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#11 date=1149285358][quote author=zztopp link=1149282074/0#7 date=1149284552][quote author=ajmc link=1149282074/0#4 date=1149283458]Oliver Creed is the greatest living nose....thats the best joke i have heard in quite awhile. A lot of these Creed "facts" is really just (a bunch of BS) hype.
    ?

[/quote]

[/quote]

He also did Vetiver Extraordiaire and Carnal Flower.[/quote]

Ok, so those two are good frags. The rest of his creations are pretty average. Heres his resume:

Alexander McQueen MyQueen (2005, with Anne Flipo)
    Burberry Burberry London for women (2006)
    Cacharel Amor Amor (2003, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Calvin Klein Euphoria (2005, with Loc Dong & Carlos Benaim)
    Caron Aimez Moi (1996)
    Christian Dior Pure Poison (2004, with Carlos Benaïm & Olivier Polge)
    Escada Casual Friday (1999)
    Escada Sentiment Pour Homme (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Escada Sexy Graffiti (2002, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flowers (2005)
    Frederic Malle Une Fleur de Cassie
    Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire (2002)
    Giorgio Armani Armani Code for women (2006, with Carlos Benaim & Olivier Polge)
    Givenchy Amarige (1991)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible for women (with Sophie Labbe & Carlos Benaim)
    Givenchy Very Irresistible Sensual (2005)
    Givenchy Ysatis (1984)
    Givenchy Ysatis Iris
    Jennifer Lopez Live (2005)
    Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant (1996)
    Kenzo Jungle Tigre
    Krizia Krazy (1991)
    Lalique Le Parfum (2005)
    Lancome Tresor Eau de Printemps Sheer (2006)
    Maxims de Paris (1984)
    Nam Long Miss Saigon
    Ralph Lauren Safari (1990, with others)
    Thierry Mugler Alien (2005, with Laurent Bruyere)
    Vivienne Westwood Anglomania (2005)
    Yardley Lace (1984)
    Yves Saint Laurent Paris Premieres Roses (2003, with Sophia Grojsman & Laurent Bruyere)

You decide between Creed and Ropion now.
    [/quote]

Hmmmm........ Ropion..

I agree JC, M. Roucel is another one.

A few more:

Lorenzo Villoresi, JP Guerlain, Jean Laporte, Chris Sheldrake, P. De Nicolai...*

* These are of course, just my opinion!

zztopp- do you really think that no Creed money went toward getting that puff piece into Forbes? They may not advertise per se, but Lord knows they lobby!

Basenotes Plus

IT'S OFFICIAL! CREED IS NO LONGER A NICHE HOUSE!
    Assuming that a very high price structure will unto itself create some exclusivity, and that Creed was at one time "exclusive" and therefore could be considered "niche", Creed is now so widely available and highly discounted that it can no longer be considered niche. Now, $150 bottles are routinely sold for $75-$90 at discount perfume stores all over the US and assumedly other countries. It is now therefore simply a slightly higher priced line than average designer frags and should be evaluated regarding its cost/quality value accordingly. In this light it probably deserves a somewhat higher evaluation than previously.

[quote author=MonkeyManMatt link=1149282074/15#17 date=1149286156]Obviously it´s completely useless debating with you. BUT answer one question please, what sources do you have to support the history about this company except all the text that is featured on http://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/site/ which they clearly have written themselves. Nowhere in my extensive collection of books on classical perfumery are they mentioned except a brief bit on GIT from the 80´s. Present me an independentt source confirming all their historical claims (again that does not use ANY of the text on that website or obvious promo material).

MMM

If you're in the market for a Creed potion of your own, get in line. You'll have to wait months for an appointment with Olivier Creed, the current head of the house. Creed sits down with the client to create a kind of olfactory portrait.

"I'm like a psychoanalyst," muses the French-born Creed, 56, who started working for his father in the family business when he was 19. "I ask them about their hobbies and their loved places and then I try to create a scent that evokes these. Perfume should make you travel."

But don't think that just because you've got the time or the money, Olivier will put his impeccable nose at your disposal. He must deem you worthy. "Sometimes I say non!--it will be not a good thing for you to have your own fragrance," says Olivier in his Pepe-le-Pew English. "It's not only a question of snobbishness: Appreciating Creed requires education." Oh, yes, it's also a question of snobbishness.

Creed can afford to be as snooty as he wants to be. Though he has only enough time to make 15 custom-made perfumes a year, Olivier Creed says the company still generates $40 million in wholesale revenue annually and enjoys a profit margin of 12%, nearly double the industry norm. He owns it all.

Once he has determined what your tastes are--or what he insists they should be--Olivier and his 50 employees set to work in their laboratory in Ury, a town on the outskirts of Paris. The Creed family moved its London headquarters there in 1854. Paris was more convenient to Creed's principal client at the time, the Hapsburg Empress Sissi.

As you might expect, the House of Creed doesn't make its juice quite the way other perfumers do. Today most perfumes are made from ingredients macerated in synthetic alcohols, and very often the essences themselves are petroleum-based.

Creed doesn't use synthetic anything and infuses its ingredients by hand. Lemon verbena, cedar wood, peppermint and pink peppercorns are immersed in oils for months and then pressed by hand into pastes, called concrtes. If you think of peasant girls dancing on grapes to make wine, but with fingers instead of feet, you're not too far off. The pastes are then mixed with ethanol fermented from rare white beets that Creed distills itself.

Once the perfume has been made, it steeps for weeks, while Olivier periodically sniffs and tinkers, sniffs and tinkers. This is one of the reasons Creed fragrances take so long to make: As "chief of olfactory," Olivier possesses the only nose that passes judgment on a Creed potion.

When he is not in his laboratory--that's nearly half the year--Olivier Creed travels the world looking for rare and choice odoriferous things. The most expensive are the Florentine Iris and Bulgarian Rose, which cost $50,000 to $80,000 a kilogram. That's more than 30 times the price of a kilo of beluga malossol caviar, according to the FORBES Cost of Living Extremely Well Index (see p. 164).

Depending on what he packs into your fragrance, the price for 10 liters will range between $20,000 and $30,000. But if you're thinking of a variant of Churchill's Tabarome, the second most expensive Creed ever made, be prepared to spend more: Olivier uses only the best Cuban tobacco.

There is one more catch: In addition to your initial stock, you are required to purchase an additional 10 liters over a five-year period, which can add thousands to your overall cost. If you can't hack this, you might instead consider a custom-mixed fragrance, blended from any of the 238 fragrances Creed has. This mix will cost between $2,000 and $5,000 for up to 2 liters, which is yours to wear exclusively for one year only.

You can buy off-the-shelf Creed at the Creed stores in Paris and New York City, or Harrods, Neiman Marcus, Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys department stores. But there's a risk of running into someone who smells exactly like you.

"

[/quote]

I would much rather have Lorenzo Villoresi make me my own personal fragrance. And not just because i think he is a better perfumer. From what i have read about him, he seems to be a very gracious, down to earth 'nice guy' and not a pompous and arrogant holier than thou snob like OC.

Not to mention, LV doesn't charge 20 to 30K. And he doesn't have to deem you "worthy" first.

OLIVER CREED IS A FREAKIN PRICK!!

*Just my humble opinion.

In the history of 20th century perfumery, Creed is but a footnote.

Let's all take a deep breath guy's. Some like Creed, some like other houses, some dudes, like myself,just like everything, lol! Oliver Creed sure isn't the best nose and some of the best noses have released something horrible now and then. Come on!

Creed a footnote! I don't think so.

They are a well respected house with a long history and one of the most copied in the world. I'm sure even designers for other houses appreciate Creed fragrences just like vintners for competing winerys appreciate wines from their competition.

How many GIT = CW, MI = Unforgivable, Himalaya = XS threads are there?

I am at a loss to figure out why there is so much negativity toward Creed? It's just a perfume house!

If you don't happen to like any of their creations, just say that you don't like Creed fragrences.

Quote Originally Posted by phersurf
    Himalaya = XS

It should be XS = Himalaya.

Yepp, the Paco was years ahead.

MMM

you should know that creed is still owned by the same peope and as a matter of fact olivier creed is considered to be the world's greatest living nose,hey have rejected proposals to sell the company and the house is now ruled by olivier creed.as far as the celebrity clients it is important for these houses to have them cause that means that they have them cause they are top of the top,not because they pay them..different to what someone might say about the fragrance of britney spears which is trash and made only for her to be more rich but when celebs buy creed they do because they seek for the best,the cream de la cream in the fragrance.that's why david beckham has creed,madonna david bowie and don't forget about some legens like jacky kenedy,winston churchill and grace kelly that ordered a special creed perfume which was made for them and later became open to anyone.....why did they choose creed?because it is the cream de la cream..some more facts

[blue]I have said it before, and I will say it again. Why is it when someone feels compelled to sing the praises of Creed, they ALWAYS sound like a Creed press release?

Creed heads tend to post some of the most banal, cliched, endlessly regurgitated, uninspired adversitising soundbites on the board and if this initiating post to this thread isn't a joke, it certainly has my vote for the worst instance of such posting.

You're going to tell us all something. Really! You're going to tell us "some things" we "should know about Creed". With all due respect, if you're trying to educate us on Creeds and their merits, you have a long long way to go. Sorry, but you sound just like everyone else who has nothing of substance to say on Creed.

If your going to post something that you dress up as knowledge or as something that you very presumptously believe we haven't considered or really understood, or even heard of before, then you should expect a certain amount of exasperation, perhaps even a little contempt. You've certainly have both from me. Futhermore, you might be really impressed by the fact that a bunch of celebrities buy Creed. You'll find, however, that most of us on the board have moved out of our adolescent phase of idol worship and have slightly more sophisticated criteria for determining the value of things. We tend not to cut and paste things we've read elsewhere and pass them of as revelatory ideas. Most of us make up our own mind on things. We're not followers.

Now if you could sing the merits of an individual Creed fragrance in the form of a review which didn't rehash what sounds like Creed advertising hype, I'll be the first one to stand up and say bravo, but until then, you're in a long line of many people who really say nothing when they say something about Creeds.

If you don't believe me, do a search for Creed threads and see just how much you sound like a sorry echo of all the Creed heads that have gone before you.

scentemental[/blue]