Code of Conduct

Default is creed still the best in terms of quality or...

All Creed fragrances are created using ingredients of the highest quality..so that makes creed the one and only in the perfume industry that still uses natural ingredients or they are more?can you name some?is creed the best in terms of quality or things have changed?please justify your opinion

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: is creed still the best in terms of quality or

I would say NO! I don't see how they were ever the best in terms of quality.

To me, quality is a well rounded fragrance made to meet your qualifications. Natural ingreedients don't necessarily make it smell any better and I don't think Creed uses all that many natural things. Synthetic doesn't mean bad as is commonly assumed. It is just not a natural ingreedient.

I say no because natural ingreedients do not creat a better blend of notes.

EnvYuS

EDIT!!!: Look down!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH dcampen. That made my day. I couldn't have put it better!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

All Creed fragrances are created using ingredients of the highest quality..
    Where did you hear this fairy tale?
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Generally I find creeds to be the best I know. Its just my opinion but they just seem better compositions to me; never cluttered and always coherent. They seem to me to have a sniff of quality about them. Maybe I'm victim to the hype, but I don't think so. They each have something special. I like some more than others of course but the only one I dislike is original santal.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fan of Creed because I like most of their fragrences. I like the Creed note.

I do feel they're one of the best houses based purely because of the way they smell. But there are other houses that are of equal quality.

That's it. I don't care about what sort of ingredients they use. I don't care about their history (although it makes a cool strory). And I'm not impressed with their price.

I admire Frederic Malle because they let the perfumers use whatever ingredients they want and then set the price of the final product according to the cost of the ingredients used.

But Creed's Angelique encens is lovely.

Post Thanks / Like

"Quality" can mean several things. If you are asking whether they use the BEST ingredients the answer is maybe not. For example, I read that only three companies use the best French jasmine in their frags: Chanel, Guerlain and Patou. If you are asking about quality in terms of the most highly regarded, the answer here on Basenotes is generally not. Serge Lutens, Frederic Malle, Lorenzo Villoresi and others are usually more highly rated..

Post Thanks / Like

I am oblivious to hype, but I have been a fan of Creed ever since I encountered them 2 years ago. To my nose, they just smell awesome...Orange Spice, SMW, BdP, Imperial, REL, GIT and Tabarome all are unique creations and standard bearers of their time of release. Recent releases like Original Vetiver are fabulous and extremely well made creations too.

In terms of quality, I think Bond No.9 and F. Malle creations come close ... but both of these are recently initiated houses and have yet to establish their reputation/legendary status. Serge Lutens and Annick Goutal are also world class, but I havent sampled a lot of their frags.
    -

I've been on basenotes for about a 2 months or so and I read more about creed than just about any other house. I think in terms of this question you'll find that there are just about as many people think creed is a hack filled p.r. creation as find it god's gift to fragrance and many in between. I happen to fall into the middle there. I think the premise of your question is a bit off though. Natural ingredients are a claim to fame for more houses than creed. It doesn't however dictate quality. I've been rampaging through scents and houses lately and have noticed that every house that has coherency has it's own aesthetic and the reaction of people around here and people in general differs.
    I think the best way to get to know a house is to sample heavily and make some observations. I have certainly come to some opinions about different houses. My personal favorite is Guerlain closely followed by Lutens.
    My admiration for the House of Guerlain is based on the innate sense of luxury and creativity present in their work. I personally feel that Guerlain's aesthetic is bound in the idea of creating a mood or personality in a fragrance. Each one has a unique life of its own. I've read may times that you don't choose a classic Guerlain it chooses you. This level of creative construction utilizes anything available including sheer chance if you know the story of Shalimar. Guerlain uses both natural and synthetic ingredients to create the best statement much as chanel did when combining natural and synthetic stones for jewelry. They create as vision dictates and the result to me is always admirable if not for me wearable.
    I think just about everyone has a different opinion on "best" house questions. It's much like comparing authors. Everyone has a different set of values for judgement. What you most admire will generally dictate your opinion of "best".
    So sample as much as you can and find out what dictates quality for you.
    m

Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19
    All Creed fragrances are created using ingredients of the highest quality..so that makes creed the one and only in the perfume industry that still uses natural ingredients or they are more?
    My dear chap, the assertion that Creed is best in terms of quality is utter poppycock, "best" is subjective, you should endeavour to sample a great deal of fragrances before you can make any conclusive statement.
    Let your nose be your pilot

Post Thanks / Like

*I spent a lot of money and even more time acquiring and wearing almost all of the Creeds designated as either masculine or unisex, and even some of those designated as feminine. *After all of that expense and effort, how many Creeds do I have in my wardrobe? *Answer: Zero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    *I spent a lot of money and even more time acquiring and wearing almost all of the Creeds designated as either masculine or unisex, and even some of those designated as feminine. *After all of that expense and effort, how many Creeds do I have in my wardrobe? *Answer: Zero. *
    Were you robbed ? :P
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    [quote author=Rockford link=1149195394/0#10 date=1149209421]*I spent a lot of money and even more time acquiring and wearing almost all of the Creeds designated as either masculine or unisex, and even some of those designated as feminine. *After all of that expense and effort, how many Creeds do I have in my wardrobe? *Answer: Zero. *
    Were you robbed ? *:P[/quote]
    No, I didn't like them and I didn't want them, so I sold them or swapped them away. *

creed makes some nice smellies. i like a lot of their frags.

but as others have said, there's no reason to believe that they are the "best quality".

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Post Thanks / Like

Their vintage line is with Villoresi and Malle but their newer creations are nice. *That's about it. *That being said I do wear them quite a bit as they're safe and pretty well made. *They're not even close to the top of elite best made scents in the last 20 years. *If I had to rank them in order, Malle is leaps and bounds above the rest in terms of quality of ingredients and quality overall, followed by Villoresi, MPG and possibly Lutens.

Thrax

I much prefer L'Artisan or Lutens to Creed by a fuckin landslide.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    Their vintage line is with Villoresi and Malle but their newer creations are nice. *That's about it. *That being said I do wear them quite a bit as they're safe and pretty well made. *They're not even close to the top of elite best made scents in the last 20 years. *If I had to rank them in order, Malle is leaps and bounds above the rest in terms of quality of ingredients and quality overall, followed by Villoresi, MPG and possibly Lutens. *

Malle has like, what, 6 frags total ? Lets see how well they maintain their quality over the next 20 years (let alone 200).
    -

creed the best ? actually i have to say that i dont find anything special in them there are many interesting and superior housebrands as lutens ,malle,villoresi,diptyque,montale,santa maria novella,definitely better

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=Paul G. link=1149195394/0#14 date=1149217015]Their vintage line is with Villoresi and Malle but their newer creations are nice. *That's about it. *That being said I do wear them quite a bit as they're safe and pretty well made. *They're not even close to the top of elite best made scents in the last 20 years. *If I had to rank them in order, Malle is leaps and bounds above the rest in terms of quality of ingredients and quality overall, followed by Villoresi, MPG and possibly Lutens. *

Malle has like, what, 6 frags total ? Lets see how well they maintain their quality over the next 20 years (let alone 200). [/quote]

Malle has a total of 15 frags. Creed's heritage is indeed impressive, but to one that doesn't care for their scents, it means next to nothing. I'd personally much rather own every Malle scent than every Creed scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm totally with Paul G. here, although I'd like to add SMN to his list.

SMW is the only Creed I truly enjoy wearing.

The only Creed that I like is Vintage Tabarome.

I don't see how Creeds are of any better quality than Penhaligon's, Boucheron, Guerlain etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to find a Creed which I really really sincerely in my heart of hearts like.

Post Thanks / Like

What would the number of frags in a company's line have to do with their quality?

What would the number of frags in a company's line have to do with their quality?
    I think he is suggesting that because of Creed's long history and many offerings we should overlook the fact that they are not really very good.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    we should overlook the fact that they are not really very good.
    This is getting a little out of hand.

Creed is no better or no worse than any other fragrence house! Why? Because it's all a matter of personal taste. It's subjective people!

Where is this "FACT" that Creed is not very good? I've never seen it. Is the a FAQ somewhere that I'm not aware of? So, am I deluding myself that the 5 Creeds I own are as good or better than anything else in my collection? Please tell me, oh seer of all "facts" pertaining to fragrences!

Seriously, when people state their opinion as fact as above it's a subtle way of saying "my tastes are better than yours" and insulting those that disagree.

Post Thanks / Like

Malle has like, what, 6 frags total ? Lets see how well they maintain their quality over the next 20 years (let alone 200).
    they have 15

guys i think you are mistaken.we should not forget the fact that creed was one of the first fragrance houses.we should not forget that creed has a celebrity clientele behind it without any commercials or advertisment.we should not forget that kings and queens used to wear creed fragrances.we should not forget that they use natural ingredients and finally we should not forget that some of it's fragrances have a unique smell and a long staying power.what else do you need?

Post Thanks / Like

BDP still rocks!

Post Thanks / Like

Though in the field of IT, but I work in the wine industry, at a winery the wines of which have won some of the most prestigious prizes in the world. So I know some about competitions, about different tastes, quarrels, but also I know that there is a kind of general acceptance of which producers are better than others.
    What came to my mind is, why there are no fragrance competitions? Or acually there are, just my knowledge is limited? It's maybe stupid question with an obvious answer: please enlighten me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by antonio_montana19
    guys i think you are mistaken.
    way to start off a post with a positive tone. *

we should not forget the fact that creed was one of the first fragrance houses.
    how does that make them the best quality? *it's not the same people running the house as 200 years ago, unless they have ponce de leon on staff. *ford was the first mass produced automobile....how are they doing lately in terms of quality??

we should not forget that creed has a celebrity clientele behind it without any commercials or advertisment.
    what does that have to do with quality? *by that rationale, unforgivable by diddy should be on this list too. *also gendarme is supposed to be quite popular with the celebs. *also chalk one up to jessica simpson, britney spears, elizabeth taylor and any other no talent hack who has their own fragrance(s). * basing an arguement on the fact that celebrities wear it is a stretch. *

we should not forget that kings and queens used to wear creed fragrances.
    I really don't care what the Prince of Wales wears let alone what King George wore 200 years ago. *Why should I care....seriously? *So....some people who were heads of state because their parents and preceeding generations were upwardly mobile and violent liked wore Creed.......Yippee!!

we should not forget that they use natural ingredients and finally we should not forget that some of it's fragrances have a unique smell and a long staying power.what else do you need?
    they're not the only house that uses natural notes. In addition, some of the notes the claim to use are illegal if used naturally. They do not use all natural notes. Predominantly natural, yes. All natural, no. As for what I need......I'd be happy to answer that. Wision, creativity, direction and balls. *The modern creations from this house lack all of the above. *The vintage line is mind blowing. *The modern stuff is nice. *There's a huge difference between the two. *

Post Thanks / Like

Paul- Elizabeth Taylor a "no talent hack"? Didn't she win two Academy Awards for best actress?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    Paul- Elizabeth Taylor a "no talent hack"? Didn't she win two Academy Awards for best actress?
    ok i will admit to a glaring error on that one.......sorry i was all fired up and meant from a perfume standpoint. you're 100% right on this one. my bad :-X

Post Thanks / Like

I knew you knew!

Post Thanks / Like

I think Creeds claim to fame is the "infusion technique" of creating their frags, a technique largely abandoned by many parfum houses.

My point about Malle was that it is a recently initiated house - it may have come out with a few good frags, but Creed has been at the very top for a long time, and can be correctly classified as a "legendary" parfum house. Also, there is no imminent danger of them losing their touch big time like Guerlain et al, unless people fear that Erwin Creed might not uphold the high quality of the frags (well there is a learning curve to it ) :-X
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul G.
    [quote author=zztopp link=1149195394/15#16 date=1149229013]

they have 15[/quote]

Ok then, 15. I have tried samples of most of them. Except for Carnal Flower and C. Bigarade, nothing else appeals to me from that house, hence I consider Creed superior. I wont be putting any Malles in my refrigerator anytime soon.

Just a matter of personal taste i guess.
    -

Post Thanks / Like

Just a matter of personal taste i guess.

That's what it's all about

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I spent a lot of money and even more time acquiring and wearing almost all of the Creeds designated as either masculine or unisex, and even some of those designated as feminine. After all of that expense and effort, how many Creeds do I have in my wardrobe? Answer: Zero.
    I could call your wardrobe my wishlist - almost: Bois du Portugal is missing
    Last edited by narcus; 21st February 2008 at 01:09 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

It all comes down to individual taste. I think there are some hits & some misses with Creed for my taste. The ones I like: BdP, SMW, GIT, REL, Erolfa.

Lots of supporters on the board, with opinions regarding Creed ranging from messianic to abysmal.

If I had to choose a "messianic" brand for myself it would probably be YSL but I think they have misses too (well, they have three-star frags for me - Kouros).

I do like that they have been around a long time and have a wide variety of frags. And for a niche, they are "widely" available. There are a lot of people on the board or on eBay who do decants.

I am jittery about the reports on the board about quality control (one batch is outstanding, while another goes bad within a couple months of buying it) as well as the number of knock-offs.
    K
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]MisterK / Vicomte de K / K[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio[/FONT]

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

I judge quality by the juice in the bottle, not the name on the bottle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi
    That doesnt mean she was anygood! ;D

: :P