Code of Conduct

Default Montale reviews - I'm new at this, so be kind!

I recently received some Montale samples from "maisonstinky" here at Basenotes. Since there aren't many reviews in the Directory yet, I figured I'd take a shot at reviewing some frags here in a thread. As the subject line mentions, I'm pretty inexperienced at doing reviews like this, and my nose can only work with the notes it knows. So, feel free to add your comments, corrections, or additions. (BTW, I think "maisonstinky" may still be selling these samples for anyone who might be interested.)

Attar: A very interesting scent. It's intense and yet streamlined, not chaotic. To me it feels like there are only a few notes in the mix, but what is there is concentrated yet pleasant. I would say it is a dry sandalwood and spice fragrance, with oud richness. (To me, oud seems to add an "aura" to fragrances, like a wet cloud that gives them weight and density.) The rose in this scent doesn't strike me as strong or as being the same as the rose I’m used to in men’s scents. It adds a dry and almost herbal floral note to the mix, not the sweet rose that I am used to. I don't know I would have even guessed there is rose in this scent if it wasn't in the notes. Attar is a dry, smooth, focused, and intense sandalwood and spices scent with a floral touch. These few notes blend to create a scent that really is unlike anything else I can think of at the moment. Very good longevity and projection.

Black Aoud: I find this to be almost a leather scent, which I don't think Montale lists it as. Dark, moist, leather and deep rose. Very good longevity. A truly manly rose. I like it better than most of the others I've tried including: Voleur de Roses, Iquitos, Malle's Une Rose, and Ungaro III. The only other men’s “rose” scents I've liked as much were C&S no. 88 and Villoresi Musk. Good company to be in!

Fougeres Marine: This smells very familiar. I was thinking GIT, so I compared them side-by-side, and it's similar but different enough that it can't be what I am thinking of. I am beginning to think it's Cool Water that I am remembering as being similar, but I no longer have that to compare with this. Nevertheless, it's rich with mossy and marine notes (maybe lichen or something similar). It lasts a very long time and projects a lot. If someone likes GIT or Cool Water and wants a new alternative to those, this would be a great option. It’s classy and masculine, yet could be worn in many situations. BTW, my gf likes this one a lot, so it may be a lady-pleaser, for those who worry about that kind of thing!

Woods-Spices: Surprisingly sweet. For some reason I was expecting dry woods and spices. I do get maybe a touch of incense in this one, and the cardamom - a friendly spiciness. I also get lot of vanilla or tonka or possibly benzoin (I can never tell those apart). If someone were looking for a high quality, niche version of something like Pi, Opium, Le Male, or maybe Body Kouros, this would be a good option. Very nice, but a bit sweet for my tastes. Projects a lot for a while, then calms down. Good longevity.

Sandflowers: Reminds me of a beach. It's a marine scent, but in a beachier sense. It's not got the usual salty air note, but more of a kelp or seawater quality to it, with some light floral notes. It really does remind me of the beaches in So. California. An interesting take on an oceanic scent. Wears close to the skin and longevity is good, especially for a “marine” scent.

Greyland: I also revisited my sample of Greyland a few times over the past month. How it smells really depends on where I apply it. On the underside of my wrist, I get very little - a very light incense scent without much else going on. When I wear it on the topside of my arm, it's much richer, more complex, longer lasting, with incense, floral notes, and musk. In that case it seems to be somewhat reminiscent of Villoresi Musk. I find this wears pretty close to the skin and lasts well.

Oud Cuir d'Arabie: Once the medicinal quality of the aoud burns off, I get a wet, musky, animalic dark leather. Very rich and deep, long lasting, with decent sillage. I consider it my second leather "holy grail," the polar opposite of my other "holy grail" of leathers, Cuir Mauresque. While CM is bright, somewhat sweet, and brings to mind sunny days in an open-top convertible sports car, the Montale scent brings to mind dark dive bars, hanging out with bikers and getting into fights.

Default Re: Montale reviews - I'm new at this, so be kind!

Excellent reviews robyogi. I find the Montales very compelling. I haven't tried all the ones you reviewed but I like several of them. Oud Cuir d'Arabie is an awesome leather.
    "...The history of perfumery before this subdivision of niche was manufactured, both literally and imaginatively, is a long one, with thousands upon thousands of fragrances. The true fragrance lover takes each fragrance one at a time, and examines it preferably outside of the imaginatively manufactured categories and, in doing so, builds up a steady, informed basis for seasoned comparative judgments based on the sampling and information gathered from such sampling. This is why any one on the board who ever has anything particular interesting to say about fragrances as fragrances rather than as categorical constructs always has an abiding interest and passion for all kinds of fragrances and not just a narrow niche of fragrances. Conversely, the "niche whores," the more and more narrow their interests become, the more and more they mimic the ad copy of the very companies they worship. I know whose posts I like to read..."

“Perfume is decidedly not about two things: it isn’t about memory and it isn’t about sex. Perfume is about beauty and intellect,” .......... “A perfume is a message in a bottle—not a smell—and the message is written by the perfumer and read by the person who smells it.”

Book recommendations:

Perfumes: The A-Z Guide
    The Emperor of Scent
    The Perfect Scent
    Scent and Chemistry

Feeding the Monster: IFRA and the EU Parliament
    www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

-http://www.firstnerve.com/2013/06/feeding-monster-ifra-and-eu-parliament.html

Good reviews robyogi. Do your thing. I have to agree 100 percent about fougeres marine attracting attention. When I first tried fm it didn't impress me at all so I tried it again a few days later, very impressive. That salty marine scent makes a statement. A smell I cannot forget, to me, fougeres marine can be worn just about anytime, good sillage, and already women askin what is that smell, they're eyes roll to the back of their heads. An Impression that is unforgettable........... I have to have bottle of this! Fougeres marine

CHEERS ROBYOGI! They're great reviews!

I only tried three of those you've tried...Greyland is similar to Gucci PH, Fougeres Marine is CK Escape to me, and Woods-Spices was like a Chanel Allure to me. I think all Montales seem to have a richness and great lasting power. Since they're pricey I have to choose my picks carefully, and probably can only afford the 50 ml bottles directly from Montale.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    CHEERS ROBYOGI! *They're great reviews!

I only tried three of those you've tried...Greyland is similar to Gucci PH, Fougeres Marine is CK Escape to me, and Woods-Spices was like a Chanel Allure to me. *I think all Montales seem to have a richness and great lasting power. *Since they're pricey I have to choose my picks carefully, and probably can only afford the 50 ml bottles directly from Montale.
    All i can say iMaverick is try the samples first, as far as the prices, I take care of my basenote friends . Pm me or call me at (813) 657-6773

And yes Robyogi I agree with iMaverick great reviews,and please dont be shy about it.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I can't wait until I get my Montale samples from Vijay!!!

Excellent reviews, robyogi. You're a natural.

I received mine from Vijay last week and there are definitely gems among them.
    A few remind very strongly of other things out there.

For instance Sandflowers is a dead ringer for Aqua Motu by Comptoir Sud Pacifique, since I dislike that one to begin with, the price here seems way too high. The tin-can packaging further indicates a little too much plagiarism in this case.

Greyland is very similar to Declaration by Cartier but even stronger on the cumin which inevitably means strong BO-associations for many people - including me.

Orient Extréme is a VERY feminine floral, vital, fresh and insane longevity. Nice, but definitely not for guys.

Aoud Ambre - Albeit oud-based this one failed to impress me. Mainly beacuse the amber part seems a bit rushed, not the creamy, sweet, resinous character that one has come to expect from other brands in this price range - Lutens, L' Artisan etc. Pass on this one.

Now for some great ones: Patchouli Leaves is an earthy but not too dry take on this note with a very plesant slightly sweet base. Lasts forever but doesn´t project much, just like many other patchoulies. Definitely uni-sex if not masculine.

Ginger Musc - This one reminds me of a little of the Latest Gaultier (2), probably some cardamom in there. Not as strong and cloying as G2 though, and none of the amber bubble-gum stuff is present here, still reminiscent somehow. *I really like it, however I feel it might be a tad to feminine for long term wearing. Fresh, fizzy & clean but with a strong character, not so much ginger though funnily enough.

Aoud Lime - This was the second agarwood-based one I received, and it is IMO much better made than many of the company´s "regular" offerings, after all this is mainly an Oud-brand. It´s kind of hard to describe this one, but for people not very familiar with purer agarwoods the note is a woody, smokey but smooth one, found in for instance YSL´s M7. I think it smells a little of black cherry pulp in that one, and this is the case here also. It is however contrasted against a fresh citrus accord that lingers a very long time, creating a great balance. Wore this at a party friday night and was complimented many times - this leaves a killer sillage! Somewhat powdery & with strong and lasting fresh lime zest - very original overall impression - good stuff.

The general feeling of the brand is consistently high quality, a nice aesthetic & a well thought trough concept. Looking forward to hearing more about 'em, especially the oud-based ones. Take my word for one thing though, the ones labelled feminine here really ARE! Don´t be lured into the lovely descriptions of notes like I was, some of the female ones are truly & exclusively meant for the ladieees.

MMM

Congratulations, and thank you!
    Reviews of scents I know nothing about - written in a way that I get a good idea about most of them. Your comments certainly got me interested in some, and spare me the hunt for others.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Nice reviews robyogi,
    specially the one on Oud cuir d'arabie, one of my fav Montale. I look forward like to see from you reviews on two other favs of mine: Oud damascus (imho pretty wearable by a man) and Oud queen roses (absolutely intoxicating but very feminine too)!

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Sandflowers: Reminds me of a beach. *It's a marine scent, but in a beachier sense. *It's not got the usual salty air note, but more of a kelp or seawater quality to it, with some light floral notes. *It really does remind me of the beaches in So. California. *An interesting take on an oceanic scent. *Wears close to the skin and longevity is good, especially for a “marine” scent. *
    I agree 100%, my sample of Sandflowers is the most quickly disappearing of Vijay's treasures. The "qualitiest" smelling marine scent I have ever encountered, and one which I think will become a mainstay of replies to newbie's threads requesting something fresh and summery but distinctive.

Greyland was one I was excited to try, and Im happy I did. I like it better than the cedar/inceses with which it is often compared. I guess its kinda like a creed in that sense, generic perhaps, but excells in its class.

I also quite liked Amandes Orientales. With the almondness and the yumminess, I picture a mixture of Dior Homme Eau Noire (described by Indie as a big dessert) and Dior Homme Bois d'Argent (With the almond element), though i have yet to give a full-wearing to my samples of either (thanks scentemental , btw). I found Amandes Orientales less "hectic" than quasi-gourmand orientals (Brit, Dior Homme) tend to be, very smooth and rich. I quite liked it, but then again, I'm big into orientals. After a couple wearings, I sent it off to my fellow orientalist Gray_Swan to share the wealth. Should be a big seller 3 or 4 months from now.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Two so far not mentioned in this thread:

Oud Pur Oriental: Yemeni oud, frankincense, Egyptian balsam, labdanum (aka rockrose, aka gum cistus). Beautiful, smooth floral oriental suitable for men. I wish I could get this one now, but it's currently unavailable, because they're waiting on a flower harvest to get one of the necessary ingredients!

Royal Oud: Oud and citrus (grapefruit and kumquat), with andira wood and Indian spices.The citrus predominates at first, making the oud a little rough around the edges, but soon dries down to a beuatiful, smooth, fresh-yet-earthy scent. Heaven for the nose!

You guys have to try these too!

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I received a whole slew of Montale samples from Vijay. They were all intriquing and I wanted them all but my nose focused in on Greyland's intoxicating blend of sharp, resinous cedar, smokey incense and almost ethereal, very light citrus and cumin notes. Best of all, this stuff lasts all day (at least on my fair, dry skin). The drydown smooths out the sharp cedar and exposes a soft, semi-sweet aquatic note. Very surprising. I ordered a bottle which I received last week and am quickly working my way through it towards a second bottle.
    Griff

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    <snip>
    I also quite liked Amandes Orientales. With the almondness and the yumminess, I picture a mixture of Dior Homme Eau Noire (described by Indie as a big dessert) and Dior Homme Bois d'Argent (With the almond element), though i have yet to give a full-wearing to my samples of either (thanks scentemental , btw). I found Amandes Orientales less "hectic" than quasi-gourmand orientals (Brit, Dior Homme) tend to be, very smooth and rich. I quite liked it, but then again, I'm big into orientals. After a couple wearings, I sent it off to my fellow orientalist Gray_Swan to share the wealth. Should be a big seller 3 or 4 months from now.
    And, I want to thank you again for introducing me to such a wonderfully unusual fragrance, Joel(and thanks to Vijay from whom the sample originated!) *Of all the samples you sent *Amandes Orientales was by far my favorite. *At first smell it was not something I would imagine a fragrance to smell like. *But somehow it worked, and in a most amazing way I might add. *I'm not a huge lover of Gourmands. *But the smooth, full bodied aroma of this one is just intoxicating. *The almond yumminess is done with such finesse...it is not too sweet which is what keeps it from becoming cloying as so many fragrances with Almond can be, IMO. I don't usually enjoy almond in perfumes, but in this one I adore it! *I keep going back to the sample to dab a little on my wrist. *Amandes Orientales is such an addictive scent and my first exposure to Montale fragrances. *It has certainly wet my appetite for this House. *I fear a full bottle of AO is in my not too distant future as well as a sampling of all thier other offerings!

GraySwan

Yesterday arrived the bunch of samples that Vijay sent me,thank you again Vijay I am impressed with this line because i did not care for Montale until now
    At first i tried the Greyland,Griff has right,is pure class,very manly and longlasting,i plan to buy it.
    FougereMarines what suprise,is perfect for the Greece climate,very wearable for my work,is the second that check.
    Wood & Spices also is the third i am impressed,is sweet but i like it very much.
    Aoud Lime starts very strong,i detect safron at first,similar with CSP Safranier but if you can wait the drydown is amazing,i think the Aoud line is too heavy for my climate but i want to try the Oud cuir d Arabie.
    Anyone here must try this line guys,all are high quality,unique and very long lasting!

Thank you so much Vijay to help me to discover this line!

Giannis

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    Two so far not mentioned in this thread:

Oud Pur Oriental: Yemeni oud, frankincense, Egyptian balsam, labdanum (aka rockrose, aka gum cistus). Beautiful, smooth floral oriental suitable for men. I wish I could get this one now, but it's currently unavailable, because they're waiting on a flower harvest to get one of the necessary ingredients!

They are waiting on a flower harvest? Did the Montale people actually said that to you? :-?
    Well if that is the case, there won't be Oud Pur Oriental in stock for quite a long time. When the essence is taken from a flower it needs to macerate for several months to several years. There is no way the essence can be include straight after harvest into a perfume formula.

Quote Originally Posted by cedriceccentric
    [quote author=JaimeB link=1147060226/0#11 date=1147114541]Two so far not mentioned in this thread:

They are waiting on a flower harvest? Did the Montale people actually said that to you? :-?
    Well if that is the case, there won't be Oud Pur Oriental in stock for quite a long time. When the essence is taken from a flower it needs to macerate for several months to several years. There is no way the essence can be include straight after harvest into a perfume formula.
    [/quote]

Yes, that is what I was told by the distributor. It may be months * :-/. This is what he was told by Montale people, so he just conveyed that to me. And I was the one that told JaimeB about that. *It could be that they are waiting for the next batch of Essence, who knows *:-/.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

Hi All,

Thank you so much Vijay for the Montale samples. I love sandalwood and am always pleased when I find an excellant one. I tried Sandalsliver from montale and WoWser. This stuff imo was heavenly. Sweet but not too sweet. It was as if someone had just brewed some tea with sandalwood and put sugar and fresh cream in it. It is almost buttery in its richness to my nose. Great sillage. Lasted all day and into the next on me. I love trumpers sandalwood but I think this one may have it beat. It is not as confusing to my nose.

Patchouli leaves was very similar in charictar to sandalsliver in that it has a rich buttery creamyness for a patchouli. A sweetness but not to sweet. Manly but not in your face. It also has a nice gentle earthyness under everything else like the smell of just freshly turned dark loamy earth. You know the really dark stuff on the forest floor. Its the kind of smell that makes you want to bend down and run your hands through the soil just for the sheer pleasure of the feel and texture and rich smell. It almost " pings or tweeks" some of those ancient memories down deep in the primative brain stem.

Uncle Griff has summed up my thoughts on Greyland pretty succinctly so I shant attempt an improvement there as my efforts will surely fall way short of the mark. I will let wiser heads than mine prevail.

My intention is to reward Vijay by putting his children through college by depleting his stockroom as often as I can afford.

Thank you Vijay for the great samples and the great conversations we have had. Our lives on this site are richer for having known you sir. An absolute delight.

Rick/docpsycho
    For sale post

[url]http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169[/url]

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

I just finished talking to our friend Vijay. Some Montale samples will be on their way soon as well as a bottle of Soleil de Capri which I just smelled from an earlier sample he had sent me. He's also getting me a small bottle of Amouage's Dia for Men !

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maisonstinky
    [quote author=cedriceccentric link=1147060226/15#15 date=1147262245][quote author=JaimeB link=1147060226/0#11 date=1147114541]Two so far not mentioned in this thread:

[/quote]

Yes, that is what I was told by the distributor. It may be months * :-/. This is what he was told by Montale people, so he just conveyed that to me. And I was the one that told JaimeB about that. *It could be that they are waiting for the next batch of Essence, who knows *:-/.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"[/quote]
    Guys, I also called Aedes de Venustas on this, because they carry the Montale line as well, and they were out-of-stock, too. They also told me that the scent would not be back in stock very soon because of Montale's needing to wait for "an ingredient" that wasn't available yet. I suspect they're waiting for some exotic supplier of Cistus ladaniferus to come through. I hope it's quietly macerating even as we post... and I hope it's the absolute and not the flower that's getting ready!
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I tested two out last night. I have to say that I was quite impressed with how they smelled. I was not expecting so much to come out of those little vials but it was amazing!

Greyland: smells like a smokey inscense/tea heaven for about a half and hour and then fades into a more spicey mixture. It ends up smelling like the spices of Angeliques sous la Plouie but warmer. It is very good and I highly recomend this one as a starter to people getting into Montale like me.

Patchouli Leaves: Beautiful fragrance wrapped in vanilla, amber, muskyness, and those dry leaves. It smelled like a chocolate kingdom right off the bat with a spice of patchouli leaves in the backdrop. Then there was a warm blast of sweet aroma from the vanilla and amber combination. This one will give you a toothache if you are not careful. It is very sweet but sentual and warm. It is very good and I was totally suprised to smell what I did based on the title of this frag. Great, great stuff!!

I have 3 more to try and new reviews to come even though I'm terrible at it.

EnvYuS

Greyland is a favorite of mine right now--it seems to be very versatile, though I'm wondering if I'm the only one who picks out some leather on the drydown? I don't think I've read of any other comments regarding this.

I bought Sandalsliver last fall, and find it to be quite a potent scent, lasting well into the next day (just a spray or two will do it). It gets sort of creamy in the end, but not like say, Santal from Floris... they're very different fragrances.

Patchouli Leaves is probably one of the best patchouli scents I've smelled, and I'm not that big of a fan of the note in general. This one has be contemplating a purchase in the fall.

Blue Amber is one that I've sampled quite a bit lately. In some regards, it's not unlike other well crafted amber scents, but there's a fresh quality about it that keeps me sniffing away.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Vijay's Montale samples have just arrived and I am sampling
    Jasmin Full today.

What a gorgeous, creamy floral this one is!

It is quite intoxicating and makes me feel euphoric when I inhale
    it. (I will probably wear this on a hot summer's evening whilst
    sipping a glass of Pimms under a Linden tree. )

After the initial blast of jasmin -perhaps ten minutes or so later -
    orange blossom seems to creep in to soften the mix. That part is really
    magical. I can also detect the sweetness of the honeysuckle and feel
    like a soporific bee.

This perfume really is a sensual delight.
    I can't wait to try Amandes Oriental tomorrow.

A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

It's me again. Can't believe it but about half and hour into
    Jasmine Full and I am smelling Casaque (Jean d'Albret) - a
    perfume I have and love. Who knows what will happen next?
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

my reviews coming tonight....stay tuned

Stop everyone! STOP! You're breaking me here! Fine, I'll order some damn Montale samples. Btw, are there any BAD Montale fragrances? Seems like everyone is happy as can be with the offerings, almost sounds too good to be true.

Here's my humble attempt at reviewing....

GREYLAND - This is what initially attracted me to the Montale line. *The opening note is very citrusy with a burst of black pepper, spices and musky woods. *There is a note at the top that I wish wasn't there. *I don't know what it is but it really bothers me. *As soon as that note disappears, which is about a couple of hours for me, I find it perfectly balanced and almost sensual.

FOUGERES MARINES - Sea freshness, combined with fern, lavender, geranium, patchouli and oakmoss on a base of cool musk, says the description for this perfume. *Unfortunately, to my untrained nose, this smells very similar to Creed's Green Irish Tweed (which I already own) and Cool Water. *As much as possible, I like the fragrances in my collection to be distinctly different.

SOLEIL DE CAPRI - Now this is the crown jewel, at least of the samples I ordered from Vijay (Big Thanks! by the way). *Not being very savy, I will compare the opening notes as very similar to when you open a pack of Juicy Fruit gum. *Lucky for me, I like Juicy Fruit Gum. *:P *It is like just-out-of-the-shower fresh and clean. *For those of you who like your juice to be hot-and-heavy, I won't consider this as a sexy fragrance at all, but I really like it. *Stays close to skin and probably universally inoffensive. *Definitely bottle-worthy.

I still have three samples from Montale that I haven't tried. *I am looking forward to try them all.

Just wanted to add that the longevity of Patchouli Leaves is spectacular! Still lingering on my wrist after two showers etc....
    Maybe a niche fragrance for Renato to check out?

MMM

SOLEIL DE CAPRI - Now this is the crown jewel, at least of the samples I ordered from Vijay (Big Thanks! by the way). Not being very savy, I will compare the opening notes as very similar to when you open a pack of Juicy Fruit gum. Lucky for me, I like Juicy Fruit Gum. It is like just-out-of-the-shower fresh and clean. For those of you who like your juice to be hot-and-heavy, I won't consider this as a sexy fragrance at all, but I really like it. Stays close to skin and probably universally inoffensive. Definitely bottle-worthy.

I have that one on order right now.

If y'all havn't done any business with Vijay yet, you're missing doing business with a very savvy, likeable, retailer that goes "the extra mile" and he treat's BN's RIGHT! Service par Excellance!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [/URL]

Please excuse my tardiness.

Here are my impressions of the samples I received from Maisonstinky:

Firstly, I like how potent and long lasting the frags are. Just a few drops and you can smell it from a few feet away.

Full Jasmin: Very sweet and pleasant. Smells just like the flower itself, if you know what Jasmin smells like, and you love the scent, then this is the exact replica of the flower in a bottle. And it should be so, when the source of the scent is the flower itself. Naturally wonderful. I would definitely get this for my GF (when I have one). Jasmin is my favorite of all flowers due to its texture, softness and scent.

Oud Queen Roses: Same comments as above, but smells like the rose.

Fougeres Marine: I have smelled nothing quite like it, but I would be bold to say that it smells like a very mild version of Jean Pascal (it smelled great but didn't appeal to me). I definitely like this one. Great for summer evenings. You can smell the musky base topped with the greens. A very elegant frag.

Black Oud: I don't know what to make of this. It reminds me a lot of Ithir (a non-alcoholic all natural, perfume they sell in Egypt, Saudi Arabia). Black Oud has a middle eastern touch. I can definitely pick out the rose in it (as that's one of the main compositions of middle eastern scents). And the combination with musk makes it reminiscent of Ithir.

Vetiver Des Sables: I would probably be biased about this one as Vetiver seems to be my official note lately. Spicy yet fresh. That's how I can put it.

Surprisingly none of these had any citrusy notes that I could pick out. Which is a very welcome change from all the commercial frags that are loaded with citrus top notes.

Need to start saving up now.

My Montale Soleil de Capri and my Amouge Dia for Men arrived today. What a pair of wonderful juices!!! :-*

Vijay had sent me samples of both so it was one of my few non-blind purchases and I couldn't be happier with them or with Vijay's service.

Several women were "ooooohing" and "aaaaaahing" over my choices. Amouge's bottles are things of beauty in and of themselves and the fragrance is ethereal. The Montale SdC is a winner too and it comes in a locking can I am in BN Heaven :P.

Dan

[/URL]

Okay, long-promised reviews follow:

First, I did like the descriptions of two of the scents that are marketed as feminine and I was investigating as crossover and also, to potentially give as gifts..

Aoud Queen Roses- This is a luxuriant and heady scent. It just keeps booming along. You get fragrance fatigue and don't notice it as much after about 15 mins, but the sillage keeps going on.

Chypre Vanille - I like both Chypre and Vanille and so picked this. It is very nice, good sillage and longevity. There is another note prominent in the top and mid that I can't identify.

Unfortunately for my crossover plans, these are both very feminine to my nose and while I'd enjoy getting close to a lady wearing either one, I don't think I could pull off either one on me.

I'm note sure I've got the name exactly correct, but Greystone: This caused headache, so I can't really give a review. This is one of about 4 scents I've come across that I've had this reaction to.

Fougeres Marines - I tried to like this. The top and mid notes are nice and well designed. Good longevity and sillage as well. Unfortunately, I think that marine scents are simply not to my taste. Vijay also sent 'Mare' by Creative Universe and that confirmed it, I just don't get marine scents.

Sandflowers - Unlike the other Montales, this one doesn't come off strong on me. It might be that it is designed to be a more subtle scent. The second time I tried it (today) I can smell sand! What a creative idea! Overall, this is sweet and subtle. The sweetness is hard to place. It does not strike me as floral or citrus sweetness, I'd say a melon-type sweetness like honeydew, if anything. It's a nice scent I have no difficultly wearing, but it doesn't do much for me other than the creative difference of the sand element.

I'm going to plow on and cover some of the other stuff I've been sampling because I can't remember which ones Vijay sent along and which ones are from other places.

John Mac Steed - (blue tartan) - sweet, mild and innocuous. Longevity was ok, sillage was pretty much nonexistant. I don't have anything against it, but also nothing really for it.

Quimbaya - This is likeable, subtle (decent longevity, low sillage on me) there are some different notes in this that mark it apart, but I found it to be a sweet, but not terribly distinctive scent. I could take it or leave it.

Jean Pascal - This I really like. Good longevity, good sillage. It's a manly man scent. The depth of this really got me. It is one of the most nonlinear scents I've encountered. It goes from some typical cologne top notes to a middle that reminds me a bit of Aramis, to a smooth, genteel leather bottom. I went back to Vijay's site, to check the pricing and was stunned at how affordable this is ($35 for 4 oz). Cut an order last night.

The Amouage Gold I tried once and need to try again before I come to conclusions. So I still owe a review.

Let me disclaim a bit. I know I don't have the best nose. The reviews I've read by some of the other BNers here show many more notes than I can pick out. If I seem to be panning a complex favorite of yours it's probably just that I'm oblivious to what you experience. It may also be familiarity with individual notes. I cook a lot and have much more success figuring out what herbs and spices went into things than dissecting fragrances. My tastes also run strongly to bold masculine scents, usually fougere or orientals, although I do have some florals in my wardrobe.

I still have to try a few Montale samples that I received from Vijay. *Here's my take on the latest one I tried.

Sandflowers - Next to Preparation Parfumee Andree Putman, this is the most subtle perfume I have ever smelled. *According to Montale, this perfume includes juniper berries, sandalwood and oakmoss. *When I first tried it, I used almost a third of the sample vial because I can barely smell it. *Once it settles, it smells like a newborn baby's breathe. *I'd like to get a whiff of the fragrance I am wearing so this one doesn't cut it or me.

First, thanks to all who added content to this thread. It's great to see so many reviews of Montale scents in one place. Thanks also for the compliments on my original post!

Second, since this thread is still alive, I’ll add a few more reviews of some other Montale samples I received from Vijay (maisonstinky). As always, these are just my impressions, so I hope everyone takes them with a grain of salt. Also, as before, feel free to add, comment, contradict - whatever - this is about discussion after all.

Blue Amber: Might as well start with my favorite of the new batch. This reminded me immediately of some great amber scents - Ambre Precieux, Amber Extreme, and Ambre Sultan, to be exact. So, I put them all on various parts of my body and compared them. I found that Blue Amber was not quite as round, buttery, and rich as AP. In that regard it was closer to AE. But, Blue Amber is more complex, and to my nose, more interesting than AE. AE seems to me to be mainly amber and vanilla. Don't get me wrong, AE is good - smooth, round, warm - but I find Blue Amber to be more interesting. As you wear it, you can pick up bits of floral notes wafting in and out. It's not quite as rich or exotic as Ambre Sultan, and not spicy like AS either. Blue Amber could be considered the daytime version of Ambre Sultan, as it seems less sultry and dark…but brighter, and possibly easier to wear. As you can see, I place this scent in some pretty good company!

Soleil de Capri: What a fun, bright, summery scent. Another poster mentioned this smelled like Juicy Fruit gum to him. To me, it smells more like an orange push-up pop – at least for a while it’s sweet and orangey, or maybe tangerine-like, starting with a sharp but sweet citrus blast, then getting more woodsy and floral as it develops. I find it totally unisex. I could imagine this one being great for casual wear on a hot day. I’m not sure it’s my thing, but I can imagine it would be to the liking of many on this board.

Royal Oud: I'm not sure how to review this one! It's kind of an oddity in my mind because it mixes some notes that I am having a hard time understanding together. It's got a fruity quality, which is listed as kumquat. (I've never eaten a kumquat, so I can't comment directly on how much it actually smells like one.) Mixed with that fresh fruitiness, almost in equal parts, is the oud. At times the medicinal quality of the oud contradicts the sweetness of the fruit, and at other times the two seem to complement each other nicely, with the oud providing some warmth, depth, and body. Each time I put it on, I am not so sure I like it, then the longer it is on, the more I start to like it. I had my gf smell it multiple times, and each time she liked it very much. I am still trying to decide what I think about it, but do think it's worth a sample, since it is pretty interesting.

Aoud Lime: To me Aoud Lime seems to be a less intense, less focused version of Montale's Attar. It seems like a softer oud, rose, and sandalwood scent to my nose, especially after it dries down. Again, I find this one to be completely unisex. Oddly, I think Aoud Lime may be the most inappropriately named fragrance ever. I'm not sure I get lime at any point in the development of this scent. In fairness to Montale, they don’t list lime as a note, at least in the listing I saw. Please don't take my comment about the name to mean that I don't like this scent. I do like it; I just don’t comprehend the naming of it.

Vetiver des Sables: First, I feel obligated to say that I am not a huge vetiver fan. Most, I wouldn't want to wear. In fact, the only one I do wear is Lutens Vetiver Oriental. Hopefully that will provide a reference point for this review. Vetiver des Sables seems to be a combination of vetiver and something with a menthol quality. Montale lists iodine as a note, but I don’t get that as much as something like eucalyptus. To me it smells like an ointment for joint pain or an herbal liniment for bruises. It’s not my favorite Montale, but again, I am not a fan of vetiver.

So far my faves from Montale are: Oud Cuir d'Arabie, Attar, Blue Amber, and Black Aoud.

I hope these help!

I wanted to talk about the Montale oud line in general. A lot of members have Pm'ed me about it and had some questions about it.

But before I do that, I wanted to thank and congratulate everyone that posted on *this thread (Robyogi's). The posts were good and unbiased. *Accolades were given to certain fragrances and some negative opinions were offered on some fragrances. But all in all it has been a very clean thread *. This is what this forum is all about, sharing of information, so that individually we can make an informed decision on the products that are being talked about

Back to the Oud's :

Members have asked me about the correct spelling, sometimes it has been spelled as Oud and sometimes as Aoud. This is how Pierre Montale has it on the description file and also on the bottles. Is there a difference in the product, I really don't think so, but maybe a member from the Middle East can give us a better answer. When I was living in India (A long long time ago * ) we used to spell it as Oudh.

The following information is in Montale's description file provide to me, I modified it a little:

What is oud ? :
    Oud has been used in oriental perfumery since the dawn of time. It is a fragranced ointment from Arabia, extracted from the root of the oud tree, preserved in a cave for several years; The oud oil is obtained by a thousand year old secret process. It is a smokey mystic aphrodisiac scent. Its subtlety and richness come from its vintage

I must say that when I first used it , I did not really fall in love with it, but the second time I used it I could not stop smelling my hand. *So I must warn you sample at your own risk. These scents are intoxicating and addictive.

Don't take my word for this, let me share an email from a member who got the samples , I will post a few lines of his message to me, I won't give out his name, he knows who he is and if he wants to validate it , I am sure he will do so in this thread:

Hi Vijay, how are you ? Guess what happened today. I broke out the samples of montale again and put some royal oud on my daughter's wrist, rubbing it in with my finger. It smelled really good on her, as I thought it would. But here is the rub . As the day went on I found myself smelling my finger almost continuously. It seems as though it smells good on me also. I guess it's growing on me. Can't wait to try the aoud lime now. Is this normal with the oud's?

Have a great rest of the weekend guys *.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

sorry that i didnt realized this post before because montale is my top brand of the moment and i would like to collect almost the full collection : : :

the ones that i have tested in these days are

oudh ambre ,black oudh,oudh lime *simply wonderful no words to describe them

sweet oriental dreams the bottle i decided to buy some days ago and this is my first from the montale line if you like rahat loukhoum or loukhoum by keiko mecheri probably you 'll like this the only gourmand i really like very very comforting scent

the ones that i *ve also fall in love with are blue amber and chypre vanille these are the latest two creation and they will be soon added in my collection

i also tested ginger musk very good ,elegant everlasting power on skin it stays potent even when you wake up having worn it the night before , definitely not for people who like very masculine frags ,but if you are not you will like it as i did

Yeah , it was kinda wierd, I did nott care for it at first. Though I must say that the oud did smell regal in a way when I first smelled it(after the gauzey thing subsided). I am not opposed to florals in men's scents, but at first this was too "rosey" for me and I apparently washed it off too soon because as Vijay said this scent can be addictive, just give it some time. Oh and consider your post validated Vijay- you are da man
    Zanshin

Quote Originally Posted by mstrocovie
    Yeah , it was kinda wierd, I did nott care for it at first. Though I must say that the oud did smell regal in a way when I first smelled it(after the gauzey thing subsided). I am not opposed to florals in men's scents, but at first this was too "rosey" for me and I apparently washed it off too soon because as Vijay said this scent can be addictive, just give it some time. Oh and consider your post validated Vijay- you are da man
    Thanks for validating my comment mstrocovie , You really put a * on my face, after I read your post. Not for the validation part, but for your post, which I saw was your first post at Basenotes. I know you have been lurking for a while, at least this thread goaded you into writing your first post at Basenotes *;D. May there be many more .

An official welcome aboard and a salute to you from me *

Watch out for those Ouds, yes they are addictive, well at least to me they are *:-/.

Vijay"Maisonstinky"
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

OK, here we go. I am going to attempt to review some of the Montale line of scents that I got from "maisonstinky"-thanks again Vijay. I am not eloquent in the way I speak , so I won't try to be in this review. My typing would not allow it anyway.
    First I will assess the 3 ouds and the attar. Although they all are wonderful in a unique way I find that the 3 ouds are much more wearable by me than the attar and even that I find could grow on me.
    ROYAL OUD- This is the very one that I put on my daughter's wrist and couldn't stop smelling and my fav so far it's sweet and a little spicy and deeply intoxicating. BLACK OUD- WOW , what a scent ,it's a man's rose baby. ATTAR- Rose supreme in a fresh kind of way with sandalwood in there too-very unique and well done , as are all of the montale line.
    oud de ARABIE- I equate this to a brawl in a biker bar when you first apply it ,though it does soften up in time. Testosterone infused leather. GREYLAND- Really liked this one and it seemed familiar to me. So I investigated and found why. This scent reminds me very much of Armand Basi Homme with not as much cinnamon and a little more musk to it-both wear close to my skin and smell wonderful. WOOD AND SPICES- Sweet mix and as robyogi said not what I was expecting- but I kinda like it-the unexpected. And with that being said , I expect to be ordering one of this fine line of fragrances. And seeing that I will be receiving a couple more and have 5 more to test out, the one I purchase may be the the one that I least expected. As always BIG THANKS to you "maisonstinky" for turning me on to this fine line.
    Zanshin

oops....it's Cuir de Arabie....sorry :-[
    Zanshin

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyManMatt
    Ginger Musc - This one reminds me of a little of the Latest Gaultier (2), probably some cardamom in there. Not as strong and cloying as G2 though, and none of the amber bubble-gum stuff is present here, still reminiscent somehow. I really like it, however I feel it might be a tad to feminine for long term wearing. Fresh, fizzy & clean but with a strong character, not so much ginger though funnily enough.
    Got my sample package today (thanks a lot Vijay!) and I've only had time to try them real fast. The funny thing is that GaultierŹ˛ was the first one that came to mind when smelling Ginger Musk, so far my favorite together with Black Oud and Soleil de Capri. Alright, more comments to come.

Ok, here we go!

Greyland- This is a very nice scent. It is like CDG 2 Man but without the smoky incence vibe. I really like the way this smells but I have come to the conclusion that I don't actually like wearing scents like this.

Fougeres Marine- This one was a dissaopinting. There is an accord that is similar to an accord I get in Himalaya that ruins both scents. It is worse in this one. It gives me a big time bugspray vibe. Would be good otherwise.

Soleil de Capri- Juicy Fruit, butter and a sprinkle of spice. Genius, though a bit odd.

Lime Oud- This oud is just too bitter for me.

Cuir de Arabie- This scent scares the shit out of me, and not in a good way. If you want some dark, brooding leather that will kick your ass than this is the scent for you.

Woods and Spices- I get no woods or spices here, but rather sweet syrup. The naming puzzles me here, and I also just don't really like it.

Patchouli Leaves- This is good stuff. Tons of amber in this. This is oversimplifying the scent a bit but it will at least give people who haven't smelled it an idea as to what it's like: this scent reminds me of a combination of Amber Extreme and Patchouli Patch.

Black Oud- This is my favorite Montale scent so far. Took me a couple of tries to like this one, but now I'm quite fond of it. I get a lot of the oud smell and some pretty roses too. Out of every rose scent that I've ever tried, this is by far my favorite. Highly recommended.

There are a few others that I might post about later. This is an interesting line, much different than anything else I've tried. There are a few duds but also some great ones that are worth looking into. Y'all should hit up Vijay and try some of these. Everyone so far has had different opinions, but if you just want to get a little intro to the line I would suggest these four scents: Black Oud, Patchouli Leaves, Soleil de Capri, and Greyland. I haven't tried all the scents though so try whatever sounds good to you.

Of the men's Montale line, I like Soleil de Capri. Yes, it does smell like Juicy Fruit, but its different and my girlfriend goes googoogaga over it. Aromatic Lime is very pleasant, though I'm not sure if its right for me.

Greyland and Sandflowers were too similar to other scents for me to purchase.

The real mystery is Fougere Marine. I've read a few reviews now that this is a marine scent, similar to GIT or Cool Water. I'm soooo not getting that vibe. The closest thing I could describe this scent as is potpourri, but I know that is doing it injustice. I'll keep trying...

Overall, the house puts out very high quality, long last products, fitting with the above average price.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

This is the thread that got me going for Montale scents, the beginning of a total change in perspective on masculine fragrances, like making a new start! Only in retrospect, I realize what happened in the past three months. Guerlain's Derby even faded for me, together with Chanel's Coco or YSL’s Rive Gauche. Even Bandit and Yatagan, while still favourites, lost some of their daring weirdness, looking a little pale now, not quite as strong any more! Has Pierre Montale spoiled my fun with older perfumes? No, not really. A few of those will just have to leave my wardrobe, and this transition period is a little difficult to cope with.

I have tried and smelled the new fragrances (13 including ouds) often in the past months. I believe to be quite familiar with their effect on my skin and in a room (keeping scented tissues in separate sealed jars for convenience). Some of those that charmed me in the beginning have not remained favourites in the long run. Their quality of underlining felinity or masculinity is not always detectable for me. But I can say that Montale's own classification generally suits me fine. What amazes me most is their outspoken individuality! From Greyland to Jasmin Full – none is similar to the other (I am not talking about any ouds here which deserve a thread of their own). Only with a few houses one can say the same about their line. Great things have been already mentioned about several scents in this thread which is almost a guide. I do not need to echo that. Call me nuts, I not only appreciate, but really love most of the samples that got under my nose! Beyond the two mentioned, they are Patchouli Leaves, Fougčres Marine, Ginger Musk, and – favourite of the day - Sandalsliver! Thank you Vijay to have made all of this possible while the persons in charge in Europe were not very responsive!

Montale http://www.parfums-montale.com/
    As much as I am ready to praise their scents – the house is not very customer friendly. Their website still is not working properly, would need an update, and does not take orders. As discussed on another occasion: for most scents Montale will indicate basic notes, for others they don’t. I asked Montale Paris questions concerning Aouds (email 4 weeks old) – no reply yet! Their local Agent carries no small units of anything, imagine! They also have no samples to offer (they will decant if you ask politely, Their local Agent carries no 50ml units, nor do they offer samples (they will decant if you ask politely, one at a time).
    Last edited by narcus; 4th September 2006 at 10:48 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.