Code of Conduct

Default Looking for Davidoff classic substitute

My uncle was a huge fan of the original Davidoff and is extremely disappointed that it's been discontinued. Does anyone know how long ago that was (I wonder if I can still find stock of it anywhere for him)?

Also, can anyone recommend other scents similar enough that he might like? He's tried another Davidoff (is it called Blue ?), but says it's a disappointment.

Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for Davidoff classic substitute

The original Davidoff (the first one) is one of my favourite fragrances too. I know no one similar fragrance. Somebody adviced Krizia Uomo Istinto to me, but I can't find it too. I'm a lucky one: I bought a deo spray and a shower gel (original Davidoff) two weeks ago with... 50 % discount (sale at a perfume shop in an other city). Of course, I payed in euros, but the price label was still in Dutch guilders. They had a huge tester (eau de toilette, ca 120 ml)) too and they proposed to give that tester to me for free, if I buy last deos (3x) and shower gels (4x). I didn't... Me stupid... No time these days to go there again... -(

I didn't see original Davidoff here in Holland for ca. 7 years.

I can't believe it, I just can't believe it, but I found it on the net:

http://www.perfumedistributor.com/davidofmetsp17.html

No offense here at all, but to be honest, I really can`t understand why anyone would want to find substitute for this scent. Davidoff Classic is one of the very worst scents I`ve discovered. IMO it`s totally unbalanced stuffy chypre, with nasty leather/tobacco accords. It`s just vile creation.
    I really think that Bandit without the floral notes is quite near to this scent. I don`t like Bandit neither...

Apart from Bandit, I can`t actually think of anything so similar - luckily.

Instead, why not to go with Antaeus, Bel Ami, Oscar PL or Trussardi Uomo, just for instance..?

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Pigeon Murderer that Antaeus might be a decent substitute. Also try Basala. Both of them are much better than Davidoff IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    No offense here at all, but to be honest, I really can`t understand why anyone would want to find substitute for this scent. Davidoff Classic is one of the very worst scents I`ve discovered. IMO it`s totally unbalanced stuffy chypre, with nasty leather/tobacco accords. It`s just vile creation.
    I really think that Bandit without the floral notes is quite near to this scent. I don`t like Bandit neither...

Apart from Bandit, I can`t actually think of anything so similar - luckily.

Instead, why not to go with Antaeus, Bel Ami, Oscar PL or Trussardi Uomo, just for instance..?

Surely we can all understand how pleasant associations are formed. There's very little objectivity about any of this. An abundance of factors, from the weather to I-don't-know-what, conspire to produce radically different reactions to one and the same fragrance (or anything else) in me over time. We look for what makes us happy, either by shocking us with something new, thus jolting us out of our boredom or worse, or by reminding us of the times in the past when we succeeded in finding something that did that. The younger we are the more those things find us rather than the other way around, and the older we get the more valuable those memories and the things that reinforce them become. I realize I'm stating the obvious here, but sometimes the obvious is overlooked. That's why I understand why Herb Lady's uncle wants what he wants, and nothing else will do.

Roxoff

As much as I have an open mind to scents, and considering I wear (and don't mind) on occasion Lord Molyneux, I was really looking forward to the classic Davidoff, and it pains me a little, but I've got to agree - it's pretty darn bad... Suprising, since Zino, the release after is so good.. Its also kind of bad even mentioning this scent in the same thread as Antaeus or some of the others ;D

I'm not familiar with this scent at all, but as Roxoff said so nicely previously, my uncle likes it, wants it, and as he's the one who'll wear it, it's out of my hands.

Thanks for the other suggestions so far and for the link!

I saw this one today too but again...only able to smell from the bottle...Thoughts opinions from any others?
    $70 for 50ml....