Code of Conduct

Default spraying frags on clothing

Many here suggest doing this. Isn't anyone concerned about the possibility of frags with high oil content staining clothing?

Default Re: spraying frags on clothing

I remember reading that it can stain them but I don't think it will if you are careful. I do a shot from a good distance so that it is not all concentrated in one area. I've never noticed any stains on my shirts and I've probably used every single one by now. I would say no, if careful but I'm sure it could happen if you are unlucky...

EnvYuS

Hi Stu-
    I've thought about it, and I think Ive even seen that concern raised in previous such threads, but never Experienced this problem. Then again, I only do this with select frags whose longevity I want to amp up (Bulgari Black, L'Artisans) and Ive never done it with something that has color to it, or with an EdP (which would bring the oil content you mention into play). I suppose a good test would be something like the blue juice of L'Eau par Kenzo on a white tshirt...

If i spray on my clothes, i spray it under the collar. I just checked my shirt and it has rather non visible stain on the white part. And it isnt wisible since its under the collar, ewen if it would, you wouldnt see it. And i have sprayed from 5cm away. So if you spray from a distance, you should get nothing.

Another perk when you spray under the collar. When using something with power, you dont get the cent all the time, because its blocked, but when you walk you get a good whif. So if in a in door job, you wouldnt bother you or your co workers that much. As much as if you would, lets say, spray on your neck or wrists

I don't spray on clothes. I am paranoid that (And there is evidence of this in a post about a month ago) the scent will stay there even after washing the clothes. So If I were to spray my shirt with Voleur de Roses and I wear it 6 weeks later and I'm wearing GIT, I really would be wearing a combination of VDR and GIT, which wouldn't be my intention.

I am always spraying my scent when I am dressed, and never have I seen traces of stain from them...
    No worries, IMO

Avoid darker coloured scents or scents with a high oil content if you are afraid of staining.

I like to spray a little on my undershirts as it prolongs the longevity of the fragrance and seems to soften & slow down the drydown. This is particularly true of harsher fragrances such as Homme de Gres where the initial impact can be a bit overwheming. I have my undershirts and shirts laundered every day so I'm not worried about the scent becoming an unwelcome house guest!

Finally, it also helps the fragrance to remain true to the original intention of the nose.

AZTEC

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I do a shot from a good distance so that it is not all concentrated in one area.
    I think this is good point, and nice thing to remember when spraying on clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    I am paranoid that (And there is evidence of this in a post about a month ago) the scent will stay there even after washing the clothes.
    Yes, I noticed that too - it is often very hard to get the scent out with normal wash, especially 100% cotton fabrics. I do spray on clothing and I usually end up running the washing machine twice on hot wash cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by aztec
    I like to spray a little on my undershirts as it prolongs the longevity of the fragrance and seems to soften & slow down the drydown.
    Undershirts are the best place in my opinion too - no concerns for stains and last quite long. You also avoid acidification if fragrance reacts negatively with your skin. And it does not absorb if you're have any health concerns.

I have tested and worn many fragrances on my cotton shirts. I never experienced a problem with an alcohol-based fragrance staining a shirt; the fragrance always washed off easily when the shirt was laundered.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I have tested and worn many fragrances on my cotton shirts. *I never experienced a problem with an alcohol-based fragrance staining a shirt; the fragrance always washed off easily when the shirt was laundered. *
    However, if you are going to spray on a delicate fabric, or if you would just like to test in order to put your mind at ease, I would suggest that you spray a small amount of your selected fragrance on a very small corner of a shirt tail. *Then you can launder the shirt in order to see how your test affected the fabric. *If the fragrance does stain the fabric (and I don't think it will), then the damage has only been done to that small area of the shirt tail. **

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    [quote author=Rockford link=1149080856/0#9 date=1149139458]I have tested and worn many fragrances on my cotton shirts. *I never experienced a problem with an alcohol-based fragrance staining a shirt; the fragrance always washed off easily when the shirt was laundered. *
    However, if you are going to spray on a delicate fabric, or if you would just like to test in order to put your mind at ease, I would suggest that you spray a small amount of your selected fragrance on a very small corner of a shirt tail. *Then you can launder the shirt in order to see how your test affected the fabric. *If the fragrance does stain the fabric (and I don't think it will), then the damage has only been done to that small area of the shirt tail. **
    [/quote]
    I keep amending my post because I keep realizing that I have more to say. *

First, I should tell you that the only clothing fabric that I have tested is cotton. *So, I cannot comment on fragrances applied to any other fabric. * Second, I have experienced my fragrances inadvertently being rubbed off my skin onto wool sweaters and wool jackets --- in these cases, the fragrance surprisingly stayed with the wool for a good while, and also there was was no damage done to the wool. *But frankly, I wouldn't recommend applying fragrance directly to wool clothing. * *