Code of Conduct

Default THALLIUM by Jacques Evard - Experiences?

I was talking scents with an old college friend of mine and he kept talking about a cologne called THALLIUM he swore it was the best thing ever but he couldn't find it anywhere (he used to wear it in college) so after a little research I found a good size bottle on ebay fairly cheap and snagged it blindly for my own use. Hope this wasn't a bad idea.

Can anyone describe to me what to expect as far as how this stuff smells. Also do you like/dislike it? I couldn't really find any mention of it when doing a search. So let's hear it!

Thanks

Default Re: THALLIUM by Jacques Evard - Experiences?

I smelled it in a store last year so I can't really give a detailed description as my memory fails me. But I do remember it being a fresh and slightly sweet scent. It's not offensive in the least bit and I would consider it one of those "safe scents". I don't see how anyone could hate it, although there might be a few who would consider it boring. I would probably buy it if I found a good deal.

Overcome By Fumes

Ah to wear a fragrance named after a substance that causes nerve damage, baldness, and impotence.

Brilliant naming, folks!

P.S. I haven't tried the actual juice.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceRooster
    I was talking scents with an old college friend of mine and he kept talking about a cologne called THALLIUM he swore it was the best thing ever but he couldn't find it anywhere (he used to wear it in college) so after a little research I found a good size bottle on ebay fairly cheap and snagged it blindly for my own use. Hope this wasn't a bad idea.

Can anyone describe to me what to expect as far as how this stuff smells. Also do you like/dislike it? I couldn't really find any mention of it when doing a search. So let's hear it!

Thanks

This is one of those knock off scents that you find in perfume shops. Thallium is copy of Niko's Sculpture Homme.

Thanks for the honest information folks, exactly what I was looking for. I guess i will know when it arrives and I get to give it one or two test runs.

Thallium?....is'nt that a metal?

What will they come up with next!?

How 'bout......

"Strontium 90" or "Cobalt 60". Intense gamma rays would be one of the "notes".

"Lithium"....that'll be a good one!

S

Well "they" came up with acier aluminium in the seventies....

Overcome By Fumes

Well, there's Chrome too, but at least those ones aren't necessarily directly toxic. When they start making fragrances called arsenic and mercury, let me know.

But they make Poison... isn't it toxic ? :
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Ah to wear a fragrance named after a substance that causes nerve damage, baldness, and impotence.

Brilliant naming, folks!
    Depends on ones experience I guess. Thallium is a very interesting element.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45
    Well, there's Chrome too, but at least those ones aren't necessarily directly toxic. When they start making fragrances called arsenic and mercury, let me know.
    I think Mercury would make a rather nice name for a frag. Of course it should refer to the roman god or the planet rather than to quicksilver. Maybe something spicy, peppery.

Thallium Sport is a 100 percent blatant shameless knockoff of Allure Sport

Interesting. I actually bought Thallium after trying it in a fragrance store. I was just itching to buy something, and the SAs put a considerable amount of pressure on me to purchase something, this and some fragrance called Persang especially. I thought the fragrance was nice enough, so I went ahead and got it. I seldom ever wore it, and not long after I purchased it, I went ahead and gave it to my father. He doesn't seem to wear it that often.

A supervisee came into my office this week, and picked up a familiar fragrance on him, but couldnt quite put my finger on it at first. But the smell brought Thallium to mind. I asked him what he was wearing, and sure enough, it was Thallium. It didn't smell too bad on him, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post

Brilliant naming, folks!

No brilliance there, indeed.
    However, it does bring a smile to my face as it reminds me irresistibly of Tom Lehrer's element song. :bounce:
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Thallium seems to me to be a sort of 'House Brand' for some of the mall fragrance stores or kiosks.

Anytime I go into one of these stores, Thallium will always be on the counter (as well as another brand that has slipped my mind right now), but no well known designer fragrance will be.

The SA will invariably say something like "Do you want to smell something real fresh we JUST GOT IN?" or, "this is very popular in Europe" or, "if you like XXXX (the fragrance I ask for), you'll love this".

Having once worked in a large chain stereo store that carried house brand speakers, I know what the behavior of someone is that is trying to get a customer to buy the brand that has a lot more profit margin in it. The hard sell of Thallium reeks of that behavior.

I can guarantee that Thallium costs about half of what a designer fragrance costs the shop, but they can sell it for the same price. Especially since is has that French name 'Jacques Evard' on it.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Moon View Post
    Thallium seems to me to be a sort of 'House Brand' for some of the mall fragrance stores or kiosks.

Anytime I go into one of these stores, Thallium will always be on the counter (as well as another brand that has slipped my mind right now), but no well known designer fragrance will be.

The SA will invariably say something like "Do you want to smell something real fresh we JUST GOT IN?" or, "this is very popular in Europe" or, "if you like XXXX (the fragrance I ask for), you'll love this".

Having once worked in a large chain stereo store that carried house brand speakers, I know what the behavior of someone is that is trying to get a customer to buy the brand that has a lot more profit margin in it. The hard sell of Thallium reeks of that behavior.

I can guarantee that Thallium costs about half of what a designer fragrance costs the shop, but they can sell it for the same price. Especially since is has that French name 'Jacques Evard' on it.

That right there pretty much describes my experience. I was interested in Gucci Envy, but the two SAs were quite pushy about me considering Pur Sang and Thallium. After I got home and did a quick google search, I quickly discovered that I could have gotten a bottle for less than half what I paid at the store. I felt cheated. Usually, I don't buy fragrances at fragrance/dept stores. I buy most of my fragrances online, because it's much cheaper, as I'm sure most of you know. But I said let me do something different today. I just felt like switchin it up. I regretted it though, and tried to bring it back, but because I just kinda ripped open the package, I was told they couldn't accept it back. It needed atleast appear to be in new condition. RATTS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by stevolution View Post
    Thallium?....is'nt that a metal?

What will they come up with next!?

How 'bout......

"Strontium 90" or "Cobalt 60". Intense gamma rays would be one of the "notes".

"Lithium"....that'll be a good one!

S

This is off topic, but Thallium is a very dangerous sort of poison. Some years ago there was a case here in Norway, with a man who killed his ex-wife with Thallium.. She suffered a slow, cruel death. The plan was that she should lose her hair, so she wouldn`t be attractive to other men. What a psychopath!

Thallium smells great. So, does it really matter where it comes from, how much it costs or what the name is? I do own one!

Blog Entries

I got the exact same thing at a kiosk. But this one had a double-layer scam. If you resist the bait-and-switch to Thallium, they do a sniff-and-switch with counterfeits. I thought Diorissimo was fairly mediocre after we bought it - until I smelled the real thing in a reputable store. I also got stung for a weak, nasty, counterfeit L'Eau par Kenzo PH, too. No more kiosks - ever.

They tried to hit me with a $45 "deal" on Thallium, but when they dropped it to $20 I was clearly going WTF. Got home and found it for like $9.99 on eBay.

I've seen this sold at kiosks at the Gibraltar Trade Center near Detroit MI. I heard the line, "This is popular in Europe" as well. There was a whole bunch of these so called Euro-popular frags. Conversely, there are some other kiosks that sell some worthy juice as well here.
    Your nostrils, which will dilate immesurably in unspeakable contentment, in motionless ecstasy, will ask nothing better for space, for they will be full of fragrance, as if perfumes and incense; for they will be glutted with complete happiness, like angels who dwell in the peace and magnificence of pleasent heaven.
    (From Maldoror by Comte de Lautreamont)

The Israeli guy at the fragrance kiosk ran the exact same line on me and was pretty pushy about it until he realized I was serious about validating his claims by looking up reviews right then and there on my iPhone. He said "it's really popular in Europe right now" and started pushing Roma Uomo on me as well.

Because of this unscrupulous selling practice, I'm wondering how authentic the bottle of Prada Amber pour Homme he sold me is. It was still packaged in it's original box, seemingly unopened nor tampered with, sealed in a cellophane wrapper. Safe to assume it's authentic and not some diluted/off-brand version? It seems perfectly legitimate to my untrained olfactory nerves. He sold me the 3.4oz/100ml (largest bottle) for $55 when I see it retails at places like Macy's, Belk's and Sephora for a cool $77. What do you guys think? Do I score a deal or did I get taken for a ride?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    The Israeli guy at the fragrance kiosk ran the exact same line on me and was pretty pushy about it until he realized I was serious about validating his claims by looking up reviews right then and there on my iPhone. He said "it's really popular in Europe right now" and started pushing Roma Uomo on me as well.

Because of this unscrupulous selling practice, I'm wondering how authentic the bottle of Prada Amber pour Homme he sold me is. It was still packaged in it's original box, seemingly unopened nor tampered with, sealed in a cellophane wrapper. Safe to assume it's authentic and not some diluted/off-brand version? It seems perfectly legitimate to my untrained olfactory nerves. He sold me the 3.4oz/100ml (largest bottle) for $55 when I see it retails at places like Macy's, Belk's and Sephora for a cool $77. What do you guys think? Do I score a deal or did I get taken for a ride?
    Not seeing the actual packaging, I can't tell you for sure, but my off-hand guess would be 50/50 that you got the real thing.

In my case, the counterfeits were very good, and I was not able to write them off as such until my nose got good enough - basically a year and a half on this place. They had nice wrapping, including cellophane, authentic-looking (but disturbingly flimsy) boxes, etc. The Diorissimo bottle, interestingly, had the serial number ground off the bottom, despite being in the "sealed" packaging. Not sure what was up with that. It may have been an authentic bottle picked from a trash dump. But the juice - extremely linear, a bit too yellow, and turned sharp and nasty in a year. It had the primary odor of Diorissimo, but no more. When I finally smelled real Diorissimo in Saks, with an educated nose - even from a light-ravaged tester - I knew instantly that we had bought a fake. My Kenzo was the same. Weak juice, flimsy packaging, and other small anomalies that didn't add up. The juice is closer to authentic than the Dior (I think it's just plain harder to screw up with calone), but it takes a ridiculous number of sprays to make it stick. When I read an article about BOXES of fake Kenzo frags being intercepted at the Indian border, I finally understood - these are serious industrial operations. In some cases it's actual industrial corruption, such as diversion of bottles. Selling of bottle specs. Whatever. Early samples of juice getting faked. The quality of the fake is money in the bank, so they get better all the time. However, they can't get too good, or else they lose money.

My advice is:
    • hold off on using that place until you feel confident in your abilities to detect a fake
    • smell a bunch of legit scents somewhere else, until you know them cold. Then go back to the kiosk and test. See if what they're selling is "off"
    • see how ridiculously low they will go on a good scent. If it's too low, you KNOW you're going to get a fake (see next item)
    • Be careful about the "fresh package" scam. Basically, you sniff the real thing, then they offer you an "unopened" one. That's the fake.
    • See if they balk when you demand to buy the one you smelled. Methinks they will protest too much.
    • Support artists, not criminals. Buy from authorized distributors, or discounters that can be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Not seeing the actual packaging, I can't tell you for sure, but my off-hand guess would be 50/50 that you got the real thing.

In my case, the counterfeits were very good, and I was not able to write them off as such until my nose got good enough - basically a year and a half on this place. They had nice wrapping, including cellophane, authentic-looking (but disturbingly flimsy) boxes, etc. The Diorissimo bottle, interestingly, had the serial number ground off the bottom, despite being in the "sealed" packaging. Not sure what was up with that. It may have been an authentic bottle picked from a trash dump. But the juice - extremely linear, a bit too yellow, and turned sharp and nasty in a year. It had the primary odor of Diorissimo, but no more. When I finally smelled real Diorissimo in Saks, with an educated nose - even from a light-ravaged tester - I knew instantly that we had bought a fake. My Kenzo was the same. Weak juice, flimsy packaging, and other small anomalies that didn't add up. The juice is closer to authentic than the Dior (I think it's just plain harder to screw up with calone), but it takes a ridiculous number of sprays to make it stick. When I read an article about BOXES of fake Kenzo frags being intercepted at the Indian border, I finally understood - these are serious industrial operations. In some cases it's actual industrial corruption, such as diversion of bottles. Selling of bottle specs. Whatever. Early samples of juice getting faked. The quality of the fake is money in the bank, so they get better all the time. However, they can't get too good, or else they lose money.

My advice is:
    • hold off on using that place until you feel confident in your abilities to detect a fake
    • smell a bunch of legit scents somewhere else, until you know them cold. Then go back to the kiosk and test. See if what they're selling is "off"
    • see how ridiculously low they will go on a good scent. If it's too low, you KNOW you're going to get a fake (see next item)
    • Be careful about the "fresh package" scam. Basically, you sniff the real thing, then they offer you an "unopened" one. That's the fake.
    • See if they balk when you demand to buy the one you smelled. Methinks they will protest too much.
    • Support artists, not criminals. Buy from authorized distributors, or discounters that can be trusted.
    After taking some time to carefully look over the design of the bottle and the box and smell the fragrance as it dries down, nothing about any of it leads me to suspect that it's a fake (other than the source I purchased it from). The box quality is sturdy and elegant and doesn't appear even in the slightest to be a knockoff. As a designer and someone with a self-proclaimed eye for taste and design, I feel confident that at least the box is legitimate. That isn't to say a fake frag couldn't go inside of legit packaging, but that leads me to my next set of observations. The bottle is thick, heavy and in every possible way resembles the tester bottles I've been handling at Sephora and Macy's for the past several weeks. I will be doing a side-by-side comparison tomorrow, however, just for the peace of mind.

The UPC code on the bottom of the box is: 8435137704231 Can anyone run that and confirm its legitimacy? On the bottom of the box next to the barcode it reads:

FRAGRANCE AND SKINCARE, S.L.
    BARCELONA 08021 TR DE GRACIA 9
    MADE IN SPAIN

I'm paranoid by nature, so despite feeling that the box, bottle and scent are all original and authentic I still need just a little more proof to feel fully assuaged of any doubt. After being subjected to the questionable sales person's sketchy selling practices, I feel like I should've been more on-guard, like he knew I would be an easy target to sell a fake to.
    Last edited by stoavio; 26th October 2009 at 02:32 AM.

I sampled it a few months back. It impressed me as a Rochas Man kind of thing, not as strong, a bit cheaper. In any case, I think there are several "women's" frags that do this sort of thing better, such as Brit Gold, Paul Smith London for women, or the original Prada. If you want a "men's" frag that I'd say is superior but just as cheap, go for Jacomo Rouge.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 26th October 2009 at 02:45 AM.

Blog Entries

Based on what you're saying, I think it's more than likely legit. Plus, the UPC is a Prada prefix, although that's likely to be faked. In any case, most folks who have real counterfeits can spot several weaknesses - always at least one. I wouldn't worry about it any more.

If you are still really paranoid about it, just do the final test. Take an atomizer of yours with you to the store next time and spray it on a test paper, along with the real thing on another paper. Mark them, mix them up so you can't tell them apart, and sniff-diff them. I'm betting you can't tell the difference, or, if your nose is really good, you'll only be able to tell a loss of topnotes from the decant.

My nose is, ultimately, how I know that my L'Instant PH EDP Extreme is not a fake. If it's a fake, the crook perfumer created something better than the EDT, and deserves every penny.

I got the exact same thing at a kiosk. But this one had a double-layer scam. If you resist the bait-and-switch to Thallium, they do a sniff-and-switch with counterfeits. I thought Diorissimo was fairly mediocre after we bought it - until I smelled the real thing in a reputable store. I also got stung for a weak, nasty, counterfeit L'Eau par Kenzo PH, too. No more kiosks - ever.

They tried to hit me with a $45 "deal" on Thallium, but when they dropped it to $20 I was clearly going WTF. Got home and found it for like $9.99 on eBay.
    Same experience here. I asked to try the Creed and they were like "you're just paying for the name."

WTF Is there some crazy Thallium pyramid scheme being run?

Based on what you're saying, I think it's more than likely legit. Plus, the UPC is a Prada prefix, although that's likely to be faked. In any case, most folks who have real counterfeits can spot several weaknesses - always at least one. I wouldn't worry about it any more.

If you are still really paranoid about it, just do the final test. Take an atomizer of yours with you to the store next time and spray it on a test paper, along with the real thing on another paper. Mark them, mix them up so you can't tell them apart, and sniff-diff them. I'm betting you can't tell the difference, or, if your nose is really good, you'll only be able to tell a loss of topnotes from the decant.

My nose is, ultimately, how I know that my L'Instant PH EDP Extreme is not a fake. If it's a fake, the crook perfumer created something better than the EDT, and deserves every penny.
    I'll be stopping into Sephora today to perform the sniff test. Again, after looking over the packaging, bottle, and running the UPC #, I have little doubt this is real but since I have this nagging thought, I think I may as well lay it to rest with the sniff test.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    Same experience here. I asked to try the Creed and they were like "you're just paying for the name."

WTF Is there some crazy Thallium pyramid scheme being run?
    I don't know. I've speculated here and there about what Jacques Evard really is. I think it may just be a cheap fragrance maker that gets a good business from shady resales and simply goes along for the ride. It's like putting Aqua Velva in foofy bottles and selling cheap, then hoping somebody figures out the rest of the game, upping your sales volume. Business is a continuum. I imagine that cutting a deal for a top-shelf Hollywood celebrity to front your juice is just as ugly, but happens behind closed doors. In the end, profits are made, dinner gets on (most) everybody's table, and life goes on. I tell myself that sharp operators in kiosks have to eat, too, just like the folks at Guerlain.

Thallium's not the worst juice around, especially if you get it cheap. The version I smelled (LOL - "vintage" Thallium) was a lot like Joop and Original Santal. It seems designed to catch you on the topnotes. The similarity to OS was actually what made me resist the stuff when Kiosk-man swooped down on me. I already had Original Santal, which was also way nicer. The guy's odd persistence simply ensured that my suspicions would not go away. But like I said, I still was unprepared for the full-on fakes.

On the plus side, my credit card number didn't get stolen for a couple of years, until an online vendor got breached. Plus 1 for kiosks.

(Sorry, guys - I'm in a very "Monday" mood! )

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stoavio View Post
    I'll be stopping into Sephora today to perform the sniff test. Again, after looking over the packaging, bottle, and running the UPC #, I have little doubt this is real but since I have this nagging thought, I think I may as well lay it to rest with the sniff test.

While on the one hand I roundly chastise you for giving in to the universal Basenotes affliction of OCD (), I commend you for putting your nose to the test. Nothing builds up the power of the old sniffer like sniffing with money on the line!

Old thread, I know, but I didn't want to create yet another.

Thallium is my most recent blind buy. I don't blind buy often, but when a 3.3 oz bottle costs $15 shipped, it makes little sense to seek out a sample.

This just arrived today and I must say that it's VILE. HORRIBLE. Makes my stomach turn in the same way that Joop does. God I want to bury this bottle out in the desert and throw away the map.

Quote Originally Posted by jase View Post
    god i want to bury this bottle out in the desert and throw away the map.
    lol!!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Good to know, since I've been on the fence about buying this one for a long time. I have the "sport" one and it smells good, but does'nt last long at all.....and also have "black" which last forever, but sometimes gives me a headache because it's just sooooo strong and synthetic smelling.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Good to know, since I've been on the fence about buying this one for a long time. I have the "sport" one and it smells good, but does'nt last long at all.....and also have "black" which last forever, but sometimes gives me a headache because it's just sooooo strong and synthetic smelling.
    I won't be buying either of those...they are guilty by association!

I actually don't mind Thallium at all. It has an odd sweetness to it but it is not offensive. In fact, it is designed to be mass market so it keeps its head down to avoid being shot down. The commission on this must be 50% of the asking price for it to be pushed this hard. But honestly it isn't bad in the realm of cheapies.

Quote Originally Posted by docluv45 View Post

Brilliant naming, folks!

Dammit! So that's what's gone wrong for me. I thought it was just impending middle age!

Thallium and Thallium Sport are two good cheapies. You can get them for around $15.00 each. A high schooler or college student would be THE MAN wearing either one of these.