Code of Conduct

Default A Thorn in My Side...

This has been bugging me. I have been thinking alot lately about Mugler Cologne. I went to a Thierry Mugler event a few days ago and restocked on the shower gel and deo stick--both fantastic.

But it just bugs me how my admiration for Mugler Cologne is slighted by the existence of Creed Original Vetiver. When Mugler Cologne came out, it struck me as pretty original. It was wonderful stuff. I wore it alot. THEN last year I got a bottle of OV. It is such a blatant ripoff of Mugler Cologne. But what pisses me off is that it totally steals from Mugler Cologne, but then makes it just a microscopic notch better. That is what bugs me--the fact the Cologne was the originator, but I am forced to say that OV is better in the end. It was like taking a preexisting product, sticking a digital clock on it, and calling it new...

I even told the Mugler rep to go check out OV. I mean, I love OV. It has a bit more warmth and smokiness and development than Cologne. So I prefer OV, but something in my heart feels that a crime has been committed...
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Thorn in My Side...

That really sucks. I feel like if Mugler Cologne was any different than it is, it wouldn't be what it is. I know that's obvious, but ya know what I mean. I have no interest in trying Original Vetyver, as good as it might be, because I think I would have the same problem with it that you have. Really bad form by Creed. Btw, sorry to change the direction of your thread, but how did the Mugler convention go?

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    That really sucks. *I feel like if Mugler Cologne was any different than it is, it wouldn't be what it is. *I know that's obvious, but ya know what I mean. *I have no interest in trying Original Vetyver, as good as it might be, because I think I would have the same problem with it that you have. *Really bad form by Creed. *Btw, sorry to change the direction of your thread, but how did the Mugler convention go?

The Mugler event was cool. I was really bummed out because they had absolutely NO info or anything about the new summer fragrances. I thought that was what the whole thing was gonna be about! Also, they only talked about Angel, A*Men (which I think is NOW called Angel Men--I know there were some sort of international licensing issues initially, but now it's gonna be called Angel Men, I believe) and Cologne but there was NO B*MEN. Nada. I guess it's not been a big seller, so Nordies doesn't have it anymore. So there was no mention of B*Men, except to say that it wouldn't be mentioned.

I was talking to the lady from Nordstroms about DIY perfumery and she said that a few years ago, they had an employee who created his own cologne and sold it in-store. So I guess that sort of thing is possible.

The Mugler rep told me that Mugler is very concerned with grey market product. The rep says any time she sees Mugler products sold by a questionable or unauthorized retailer, she buys it so that its source can be tracked.

It was really nice to smell the four floral versions of the womens' Angel. They are really attractive. Sure the whole event was probably a little "foofy" for us guys, but it was something to do on a Saturday morning.

But yeah, back to the Creed/Mugler thing--it seems everything is "dog eat dog" with Creed. They're either ripping people off (OV/Cologne, Himalaya/XS) or they're being ripped off (GIT/Cool Water, MI/Unforgivable, Bond).
    "He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative."-- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    It was really nice to smell the four floral versions of the womens' Angel. They are really attractive. Sure the whole event was probably a little "foofy" for us guys, but it was something to do on a Saturday morning.
    I'm actually thinking of getting decants of those. I saw them uptown yesterday so they are at least available here. I'm very eager to find out what they smell like so I guess the easiest way is just to walk to the store and sample them, but then I want to play around with them a bit and probably give them to mu girlfriend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have and love both Cologne & OV. Yes they smell very similar, but I respect their differences as well. It's kind of how I feel about Chrome and CKone. Both smell similar (I've been asked if I was wearing CKone while wearing Chrome MANY times) but their differences make them BOTH exceptional frags.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

[quote author=The Giraffe link=1148543608/0#1 date=1148544052]That really sucks. *I feel like if Mugler Cologne was any different than it is, it wouldn't be what it is. *I know that's obvious, but ya know what I mean. *I have no interest in trying Original Vetyver, as good as it might be, because I think I would have the same problem with it that you have. *Really bad form by Creed. *Btw, sorry to change the direction of your thread, but how did the Mugler convention go?

I was talking to the lady from Nordstroms about DIY perfumery and she said that a few years ago, they had an employee who created his own cologne and sold it in-store. *So I guess that sort of thing is possible.

[/quote]

that scent is t gregory......it didn't do much for me....kind of a geir clone

This has been bugging me. *I have been thinking alot lately about Mugler Cologne. *I went to a Thierry Mugler event a few days ago and restocked on the shower gel and deo stick--both fantastic.

But it just bugs me how my admiration for Mugler Cologne is slighted by the existence of Creed Original Vetiver. *When Mugler Cologne came out, it struck me as pretty original. *It was wonderful stuff. *I wore it alot. *THEN last year I got a bottle of OV. *It is such a blatant ripoff of Mugler Cologne. *But what pisses me off is that it totally steals from Mugler Cologne, but then makes it just a microscopic notch better. *That is what bugs me--the fact the Cologne was the originator, but I am forced to say that OV is better in the end. *It was like taking a preexisting product, sticking a digital clock on it, and calling it new... *

I even told the Mugler rep to go check out OV. *I mean, I love OV. *It has a bit more warmth and smokiness and development than Cologne. *So I prefer OV, but something in my heart feels that a crime has been committed...
    I couldn't believe the similarities when I first sampled OV. *I own Mugler and enjoy it for what it is, but I have a hard enough time justifying the retail price of MC. *You can just forget about paying retail for OV. * *

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=Indie_Guy link=1148543608/0#2 date=1148545729]It was really nice to smell the four floral versions of the womens' Angel. They are really attractive. Sure the whole event was probably a little "foofy" for us guys, but it was something to do on a Saturday morning.
    I'm actually thinking of getting decants of those. I saw them uptown yesterday so they are at least available here. I'm very eager to find out what they smell like so I guess the easiest way is just to walk to the store and sample them, but then I want to play around with them a bit and probably give them to mu girlfriend.
    [/quote]

I WANT decants of those to send to my girlfriend, but I don't see anyone decanting them in SaleSwap so I'm gonna have to settle for going back and getting sample vials, I guess. :\

Post Thanks / Like

I can decant Mugler Cologne. PM me if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like

In all forms of art and entertainment people have always borrowed, stolen and modified concepts from each other.

For me originality is not very important but quality is.

Pass the O.V.

"Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Mugler Cologne is great for a light, non-offensive, impossible to over-apply scent. I like it for an office no-brainer.

OV is sexier, earthier and can be over done. It's better than Cologne, too.

But they're both outstanding! I'm glad I own both!

Post Thanks / Like

Indie... your post singlehandedly made me choose Mugler Cologne as my SOTD today.

Anyhoo, I feel that OV is a blatant ripoff of Mugler Cologne, right down to the base. Olivier Creed must have told his son "hey... here's a scent that's growing in popularity. Why don't you copy it, put our name on the juice, and charge a significant markup, so we can make a ton of money and claim originality?"

Personally, I see no reason whatsoever to spend $198 for 4 oz of OV ($1.65/milliliter) at Saks when they also sell a 10.2 oz Mugler Cologne for $88 (29 cents/milliliter). That's a 580% markup... outrageous for a cloned juice. :P
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my Mugler Cologne 10.2 OZ splash for $25 at JR's Factory Outlet in NC!

Not to rub it in or anything.... ;D

Not a fan of OV. It starts out very beautifully, but it all falls apart on my skin, where MC is clean, soapy, with a good drydown and longevity. Price is better than reasonable, especially on internet websites, and you don't have to struggle with the SA guard dog hunched over the Creeds! ;D

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!