Code of Conduct

Default Pulse points over-rated?

All my life I have heard about putting perfume on pulse points, and the reason behind it. Now that I've been testing frags myself, I am beginning to think this might be one those myths that gets going, it sounds good, and nobody questions it. For example, fragrance on my wrists is often face down at a desk, it can rub against my pants as I walk, and it transfers to the inside of my shirt sleeve cuffs. But on the back of my hand, it evaporates much more freely and is less likely to get transferred to other things. *Also, is the skin temperature so much different that it amounts to a hill of beans? Maybe not. But if it is, do I always want my fragrance pumping out at the highest possible rate. I might not. I might want it to develop more slowly.

I should add that I'm not saying pulse points are silly. I'm just questioning this because I think there are pros and cons to these traditional points, and they just might not deserve holy grail status.

Default Re: Pulse points over-rated?

I apply my SOTD a little higher up on the underside of my arm because I hate getting it on my watch band. After a few days of different scents mixing together and sticking to the band, there is a funky odor that is just rank hanging around my watch like a cloud. So, I spray higher than my watch band will slide.

I do think pulse points make sense, especially in cool or cold weather. Maybe not so much in hot weather.

[blue]

Pulse points are really for the discreet application of extrait (parfum). If you want sillage, and if you want to smell your own fragrance, spray it over large areas of skin (neck, back of hands, arms, chest, back, nape of neck, even your hair) and even your clothes.

scentemental[/blue]

" Also, is the skin temperature so much different that it amounts to a hill of beans"?

Good question and I think you have a valid point.
    I've felt my pulse points and I don't think there is much difference in temperature from the rest of my body. Certainly not enough heat to activate a fragrance. I guess if we looked under one of those inferred cameras, our pulse points would show up as a red heat source. But is it enough heat to affect our fragrance? I wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [blue]
    Pulse points are really for the discreet application of extrait (parfum). [/blue]
    Me thinking - do I really want to get intimate with my doctor as she's checking my blood pressure? Maybe not.

Definitely over-rated. There are better places to wear a fragrance.

xilonic

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental
    [blue]

Pulse points are really for the discreet application of extrait (parfum). If you want sillage, and if you want to smell your own fragrance, spray it over large areas of skin (neck, back of hands, arms, chest, back, nape of neck, even your hair) and even your clothes.

scentemental[/blue]
    This matches my personal experience. If I apply an EDT or EDC to the underside of my wrists, it is barely noticeable, and then gone within a couple hours - on my sleeve, or my watch, or just rubbed off on the desk, papers, etc.

Usually I apply them to the topsides of my arms, wrist, and/or hands, as well as my chest. With short-sleeved shirts, usually to my upper arms, just under the sleeves so some fragrance transfers to the shirt for longevity. This seems to give better sillage and longevity.

I apply my SOTD a little higher up on the underside of my arm because I hate getting it on my watch band. After a few days of different scents mixing together and sticking to the band, there is a funky odor that is just rank hanging around my watch like a cloud. So, I spray higher than my watch band will slide.
    i do exactly the same thing...for the same reasons!.