Code of Conduct

Default Sweeter leathers?

I'm looking for a nice, smooth, and rather sweet leather scent. I have Magnetism, and I like the direction it goes in the drydown with the leather and amber, but I'm not too sure about the top notes and the beginning of the heart. Is there anything that's similiar in nature but that doesn't have the weird fruity metallic opening? Keep in mind that I'm not after something with tobacco/leather or mossy, earthy leather. The warmer and smoother the better.

So far I've checked out:
    John Varvatos
    Dior Homme
    Vera Wang

My favorite of these if the Dior. JV is too sweet and VW is too weak (and I don't even smell leather in it). Any other good suggestions? I probably ought to try Creed Royal English Leather huh?
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: Sweeter leathers?

Try Cuiron by Helmut Lang, warm with hints of rose and suede, with a woodsy drydown. You can even wear it in the summer without killing.

There's also DK Fuel and DK Unleaded. Smooth and warm on the first, and of fresh leather on the latter.

My favorite is the woody leather in Valentino Vendetta, but the Geranium Jasmine and Clove can be interpreted as "mossy" or "tobacco-ish"...more the classic leather composition IMO, but I've been stocking up on bottles for cheap as it is discontinued. As a matter of fact I think all the scents I've mentioned are discontinued, but they're out there on the net.

I agree with you on the staying power of Vera Wang...smells nice starting off, but quickly disappears by the first hour or so.

There's also Habit Rouge, an warm retro oriental leather but with a persistent citrus bite to it through and through.

Lastly, there's Fendi Uomo, more chypre based leather, has a sophistication to it, like the feeling of vacationing in Rome, and the smell of leather on a cold early morning coming back from the club.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

You might like Serge Lutens Daim Blond: suede with heliotrope (and lots of other things). Definitely no problem with longevity. It's an EdP Haute Concentration, and so it lasts a long time. The only drawback is that it's rather expensive. You can get it online from Aedes de Venustas in New York.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 1st September 2006 at 05:58 AM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Definitely not for everybody, but Dzing! is worth a try.

I think you need some Dzing! in your life. Habit Rouge is sweeter, but not as leathery as Dzing! Daim Blond is fruity with apricot, but lovely and soft. Cuiron is still quite dry to me. Dzing! up your life I'd say.

If you like Dior Homme I would also suggest you to try Daim Blond. These two are definitely in the same category (at least in my opinion). I don´t get that much leather from Dior Homme (it´s more the very elegant iris that i love in this one) but Daim Blond smells sureley as some soft suede. Due to the apricot kernel note it´s a perfect smooth fruity leather scent, much better then the Varvartos and it lasts and lasts...

Christian
    Guerlain: Après L´ondée - Chanel: Cuir de Russie - Dior: Dior Homme - Divine: L´homme de coeur - Caron: Le 3me homme
    ---------------------------

"Tra il fiore colto e l’ altro donato / l’ inesprimibile nulla" Giuseppe Ungaretti

For sweet, smooth leather without any further frill, DZING! is a good suggestion. Another one you should try is Creed Royal English Leather

Both Magnifiscent and Concord are right about Dzing!, it was the first one I thought of when I saw the thread. But the also mentioned Daim Blond and Cuiron are worth checking out. The last one isn't as sweet as it is smooth really, and all about sandalwood inmo, but if you want leather still worth seeking out.

While wearing Dior Homme today, I came to think of that Amouage Dia shares a leather-note with it.

Knize Ten?
    In rotation: Greenbriar (new), Silver Mountain Water, Dunhill for Men (1934), Acqua di Parma Colonia, Habit Rouge EDC, Ho Hang, B*Men, Agua Brava

Quite suprising that no one hardly ever talks about Michael Kors. C`mon, sweet suede meets some intoxicating pipe tobacco, dried plums playing along in delicicous style.

Another vote for Daim Blond.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Be sure to check out Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens.

the ULTIMATE in sweet leathers...."Cuir Venenum" by Parfumerie-Generale!
    I am not kidding....the ULTIMATE!

Quote Originally Posted by whitebar
    Be sure to check out Cuir Mauresque by Serge Lutens.
    Absolutely. More leather and less suede than Daim Blond. Sweet, but not "peachy" like Daim Blond, more of an orange note. Slightly sharp and animalic, especially in the topnotes and middle, then getting sweeter and rounder as it dries. Classy but not stuffy.

How sweet do you really want? I think you should know that Daim Blond is REALLY sweet and REALLY fruity, much too much so for me.

If you are looking for a smooth, rather sweet leather scent, then I recommend Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait. *IMO, there is nothing smoother, and it is definitely sweet, though not overly sweet. * *

You might also want to check out the super-smooth Cuir d'Oranger by Miller Harris

Ugh. This question gives me a bad memory: Jacomo's Paradox Pour Homme (or For Men, I can't remember). First, there are wetter leather scents, which are heavy and dense like Royal English Leather, Dzing! maybe, and Bel Ami. Then there are the dry leather scents which are like the dusty untanned side of leather, and more like suede or just plain leather dust in a leather shop. This dry leather is nice and fresh, and sort of reminds me of dust motes floating in shafts of sunlight instead of boots, jackets, and nice couches. The dry leather smell is like the inside of leather bags, and Hermes's Eau d'Hermes is pretty good at it.

Jacomo's Paradox is all dry dry dry leather. Leather shop dust in sunshafts. But it is sweet too, and the sweet if off the scale. Beware though, because the sweetness is cotton candy. No lie. It's like someone mistook cotton candy for a duster and dusted out the leather shop. Then turned the volume of the scent down by half. Not enough of a scent here, and what's there tells you all day long that you'd have been happier in almost anything else you own.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Davidoff's Relax isn't classified as a leather scent, but there's a very noticeable leather note in its sweet, marshmallow-like drydown. One of my favorites.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Chic for men by Carolina Herrera.

I immediately think of Guerlain's Cuir Beluga, which could be worth a try. It is expensive as hell, but I remember that it was the only scent from the exclusive L'Art et la Matière-line that really impressed me immediately.

Cuir Beluga is a very soft and sweet white leather, suedelike with mandarin and heliotrope/vanilla. I like Robin's description on Nowsmellthis: "I have always thought of Serge Lutens Daim Blond as the pale, buttery leather interior of a new, very high end car — the sort of car that the salesman is likely to call without irony a "motorcar" — but next to Cuir Beluga, Daim Blond smells positively edgy."

It is created by Olivier Polge, also responsible for Dior Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by rjrober22
    the ULTIMATE in sweet leathers...."Cuir Venenum" by Parfumerie-Generale!
    Where did you find the Cuir Venenum?

Thanks!

NoNonScents!! Getting Ready to Retire....

Quote Originally Posted by vontech
    [quote author=rjrober22 link=1148673445/0#13 date=1148690135]the ULTIMATE in sweet leathers...."Cuir Venenum" by Parfumerie-Generale!
    Where did you find the Cuir Venenum?

Thanks!

[/quote]

here you go:

http://www.parfumerie-generale.com/e...ection_en.html

Be sure to also try Paloma Picasso Minotaure. It quite resembles Biagiotti's Roma, but with a leather note, just to give a picture...

I am surprised these have not been mentioned here: In Leather and Black excellent leather frags ('Man' and 'Woman?) by the German leather goods Designer Etienne Aigner, not extremely strong (as to become favorites of my own) but by no means scents 'with just a leather note in it' ! The directory will tell you more. Milamber gave us a very detailed review of In Leather Man. This is only slightly sweet. Where I remember diasagreeing: I needed more than just light spritzes to wear ILM to satisfaction. You may wish to check out the 'Woman' versions for sweeter notes. Very nice bottles. It is quite popular in continental Europe and probably has a small market in the US.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Blog Entries

[edit]No advertising on the boards please[/edit]
    MICHAEL STORER fine niche perfumery for the individualist
    www.michaelstorer.com

Richard James!

Suede and tuberose, yumsters!

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    I am surprised these have not been mentioned here: In Leather and Black excellent leather frags ('Man' and 'Woman?) by the German leather goods Designer Etienne Aigner.
    I sampled the Suede Edition of In Leather Man a couple of days ago:That's SWEET leather!The next day,being confused,I bought the original In Leather Man:Leather indeed,but not so sweet.Anyway,I do not regret for my purchase but I liked the Suede Edition better.
    It's never too late to mend.

WARDROBE:http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1256

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Quite suprising that no one hardly ever talks about Michael Kors. C`mon, sweet suede meets some intoxicating pipe tobacco, dried plums playing along in delicicous style.
    IMO this doesnt get enough respect on Bnotes. It isnt a classic, but it is a nice frag although it may not be everyones cup of tea.

What? No mention of Creed Royal English Leather? Well here you go!
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

With apologies to Steve Martin . . . three simple words in the English language:

Royal English Leather.

I would like some more leather recommendations too; I have only tried the Creed offerings: REL and Cuir De Russie. One buttery leather, the other a smoky raw leather; both different and both simply outstanding.

What other leather scents are as good or better? I tried Bel Ami by Hermes and thought it was terrible!
    -

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    You might like Serge Lutens Daim Blond: suede with heliotrope (and lots of other things). Definitely no problem with longevity. It's an EdP Haute Concentration, and so it lasts a long time. The only drawback is that it's rather expensive. You can get it online from Aedes de Venustas in New York.
    I want to 2nd this vote; I just tried Daim Blond today during my visit to Barney's. Its not "out there", its smooth, silky, elegant, classy.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Dior Bois d'Argent.

yep, i have to go with M Kors and Royal english leather! and add ......

Tommy for men! i get a real leather note from this, must be my nose!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

daim blonde really isn't all that leathery, more sweet, and pretty subtle

what about lonestar cowboy? descrbed as kinda garagey/leather still it's one of the more appetizing leather scents I've tried. andy tauer seems to be into "tasty" scents.

cuiron? sweet like battery acid!

Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick
    Try Cuiron by Helmut Lang, ...There's also DK Fuel and DK Unleaded.
    the first reply to this thread is the best, IMO. After the DKs and Cuiron, no other sweet leathers are needed.