Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How important to you is a scent's "masculinity"?

From time to time posters make comments like "To me this is not masculine and I can't see myself wearing it." Others consider many scents to be unisex and some don't think in terms of masculine/feminine at all.

In deciding whether to add a scent to your wardrobe, how important are your own perceptions about its "masculinity"? (The terms "masculine" and "masculinity" should be in quotes in the poll but they evidently can't be due to a limitatation--flaw--in the way the polls are coded.)
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

Default Re: How important to you is a scent's "masculinity

I don't know how to vote with this...basically if it doesn't smell like a flowerbomb (one exception, FM Iris Poudre) or a fruitcup, I'll wear it with no problems about it.

Perfume is so subjective...I have no discomfort with Jicky, a women's scent, and quite comparable is Caron's Pour Un Homme.

Women gush when I wear YSL's Nu...they don't even think twice about the marketed gender. They love it on me. White flowers, wood, and musk...where's the fear in that?

Longevity is a plus when wearing womens marketed scents since most are EdP.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

It depends on my mood and what I am going to do. I need some overtly masculine frags in the wardrobe for some occaisions (tabarome). Other times I may wear Neroli sauvage because it smells happy and beautiful or other scents with no obvious gender signiture.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I've worn feminine scents, like the newest version of L'Interdit, but I don't agree with the people who think that the Basenotes forum should combine the men's and women's fragrance discussion boards. *That would be too confusing and time consuming. I basically wear scents that smell manly.

I follow what I think is a straightforward method: There are four types of fragrances-
    1) masculine
    2) feminine
    3) nice, without being either masculine or feminine
    4) unpleasant and/or headache

I will wear stuff out of 1 or 3. And rather than use the labeling, I decide for myself whether a fragrace has been miscategorized as 1 or 2 when it's really 3. (of course, that can go other ways as well)

If it smells good on me and I'm comfortable with the scent, it shouldn't really matter whether it's marketed for men or women.

A good example is Kingdom - the department stores in London now display it in the unisex/miscellaneous sections, and all the SAs have stated that it's a unisex fragrance.

Trebor

Not very important, but I'm still hesitant to wearing some fragrances outside my apartment (closet cross dresser ;D). There are fragrances I think are better suited for my girlfriend rather than me, even if I love them myself. But I own several female scents and wear some of them with pride to work, clubs, family gatherings etc. So it was the 2nd last option for me...

Dependent

I'll try anything once. Then I decide for myself if I'd want to wear it again--a lot, or a little. The gender designation by the maker has much less impact than how I feel about it myself. "Too feminine" is just one possible reason why I might be disinclined to wear something repeatedly, but it is a factor.

I don't really think in terms of masculine and feminine, but in terms of what I like and perceive as appropriate for me. Part of that is whether I perceive a fragrance as "too feminine," but I focus more on whether the overall impression of the scent is "me."

I wear scents marketed as masculine, feminine and unisex. Some of the masculine MARKETED fragrances strike me as SMELLING more feminine than many scents marketed as feminine or unisex, so I try to evaluate scents on an individual basis.

I also don't really care if someone recognizes a fragrance I'm wearing as one that is marketed to women. Strangely enough, the only time this has EVER happened (that someone has remarked on) is when I was wearing Aramis 900 and my girlfriend remarked that it smelled familiar. It turns out that she had smelled Clinique Aromatics Elixir before, which is virtually the same scent (same company) as Aramis 900.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

It's definitely not that important to me. I prefer a calm frag over a heavy, loud, masculine one. I think that a lot of fragrances can be worn on a unisex base.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

I always fear that the scent I wear would be a fragrance equivalent of pink, flowers and cuddly teddy bears. And unfortunately most feminine frags and some unisex or even musculine scents appear to me as exactly that. If a frag doesn't make such an impression it really doesn't matter whether its floral or too sweet or meant for women or whatsoever. For example I find Rive Gauche Pour Femme very wearable as a guy but black XS for me is too damn fruity and pink.

I think it also comes down to how you want to be perceived by others. I wear fragrances to enhance my degree of sensuality and sexual attraction (if such a thing's possible!). Typical masculine fragrances just don't interest me, because I don't perceive myself to be a 'typical' man (in addition to just not liking those scents). I also detest typical male interests/activities, such as football/soccer - just because I've got a dick, it doesn't mean I have to place myself in the box that society dictates to me. I consider myself to be very much in touch with my feminine side and am very comfortable expressing this, not only in my frags, but also in my clothes and mannerisms. That's not to say that I wish to be seen as effeminate, just downright sexy! And if people can't understand this then they can bloody sod off!!!

Trebor

P.S. Metrosexual? Oh, please! I had those traits long before the tosser, who came up with that term, had even learnt to spell...

Dependent
    Blog Entries

I am definitely open to any fragrance, regardless of how the scent is marketed. I wear scents that I like according to the situation/occasion they fit best. Having said that, I have not bought or worn a "feminine" fragrance as of yet. The closest I have come is to wear a light "men's" fragrance that women on this forum wear.

Basenotes Plus

I draw the line for myself at smelling like flowers. Others may do as they please. My collection is 90% those classified as masculine and 10% unisex.

It's a delicate balance between what your nose enjoys and how you want to be percieved by others, your social image. Sometimes the two match well, other times they don't.

I think personally this is really soupy territory. I think fragrance has such a different character from skin to skin.
    on me for example Jicky smells veeery manly an many smelling it on me have said they can't imagine a woman wearing it which of course many can and do. Fumerie turque on the other hand is a scent many men wear and on my skin it's an absolutley gorgeous scent filled with female mystery. I think it depends on your skin how a frag comes out in the end. I tend to enjoy really full oriental smells so my tastes stray into the grey area quite frequently. To a certain extent I think we all wear a fragrance for it's impact on those around us sexual or not. In that line of reason I always simply judge whether the fragrance smells allluring on my skin and is a bit indicative of my personality. I've always thought frag choice is most important as a form of self expression.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor
    I think it also comes down to how you want to be perceived by others. I wear fragrances to enhance my degree of sensuality and sexual attraction (if such a thing's possible!). Typical masculine fragrances just don't interest me, because I don't perceive myself to be a 'typical' man (in addition to just not liking those scents). I also detest typical male interests/activities, such as football/soccer - just because I've got a dick, it doesn't mean I have to place myself in the box that society dictates to me. I consider myself to be very much in touch with my feminine side and am very comfortable expressing this, not only in my frags, but also in my clothes and mannerisms. That's not to say that I wish to be seen as effeminate, just downright sexy! And if people can't understand this then they can bloody sod off!!!
    A*men, I could not have said it better myself and those words could just as well be mine.

Personally it depends on the frag although at the moment all my frags are marketed as masculine; but wouldn`t dismiss wearing female marketed fragsa if I felt they were right for me.

My personal feminine perspective is this: if a guy smells good wearing Jungle Gardenia, he should wear it. I just smelled Creed's Vanisia on a man last night & were I not already familiar with the scent myself, I wouldn't have known it was a woman's fragrance; all that mattered to me was that he smelled good wearing it. He was also a bartender, and his tip jar was mighty full by 10:00 p.m., I'll say that much. There was nothing spectacular about him, rather, he could have disappeared into a sea of all good looking male hired lounge help, but the way his body heat worked that Vanisia was great. After an hour I noticed all the women that had been standing at one end of the lounge had now moved over to the right end where he was working. He was no Tom Cruise, had about all the skill of a Jack Black in training, but he was undoubtedly the most popular male in that bar that night. You just can't beat the power of a good scent.

I just wear what I like.

Fragrances have no genitalia.

I wear what smells good on me but I don't like things that are too feminine. Pure vanilla smells are womenly. I wear Chergui though and it smells very feminine to some people... my gf wore it once and it smelled better on her! I just like to smell pleasing to my own nose and that is how I do...

EnvYuS

Great thread Turner! I voted very important simply because I find most feminine fragrances too sweet or floral for me to pull off. I don't like men's that are too sweet. A little sweet is ok. I like alot of unisex fragrances. So, I guess it just depends on my criteria.

Masculinity in fragrances is so strechy concept. I know many of you, who consider Yatagan for instace to be ultra-masculine. But believe it or not, somebody has also said that it reminds very much old-lady`s perfume (in the dry-down)
    Also, Antaeus: Masculine yes, but also filled up with very feminine nuances. (you know, there are so many scents for women in that similar Chypre/Leathery concept, starting with Tabac Blond...And actually these castoreum scents were first brought to ladies overall)

Interesting responses so far, and not far from my expectations. Note that by phrasing my question as "how important are your own perceptions about its 'masculinity'?" I had hoped to sidestep both the issue that personal opinions differ and the issue of how a fragrance is marketed.
    “They aren't connected . . . they aren't mafia. Not with names like Tuner Watson” - Jim Rockford

I find that there is a difference between fragrances that could be worn by either, and seem appropriate in the sense of not being in disharmony with the gender of the wearer, and ones that are, simply, sexless. By 'sexless' I do not mean that they happen not to resonate with whatever subjective evocations of masculinity or femininity are currently popular, but rather that they don't resonate in any way at all, and are, simply, uninteresting, for a variety of reasons, but mostly (but not altogether) to do with lack of complexity. I think it was Nietzsche who said (wrote) that 'the degree and kind of a man's sexuality reach up into the ultimate pinnacle of his being'. In our era we would probably substitute 'one's' or 'a person's' for 'a man's', but be that as it may (since some of Nietzsche's views on women are decidedly at odds with twenty-first century Western ones). As an example of one that doesn't resonate with me at all in this way yet which is widely regarded as an accomplished fragrance, I would say Tam Dao. As an example of one that does resonate magnificently and brilliantly for me, perhaps in spite of its relative lack of complexity, I would say Caron Pour un Homme. I find the former, as it were, sexless, and the latter (one might say) suprasexual. The former makes me think of a natural smell that comes as no surprise, and the latter of something that seems as though it must or should have always existed, which makes the fact that I am smelling it all the more startling, because, at the same time, I know it didn't. I suspect there is a connection here between sexuality and the power to create -- a power that in higher organisms is, of course, always utterly dependent on the presence and cooperation of its own complementary opposite.

I usually wear more masculine scents but I do enjoy Mitsouko. I like a fragrance for its uniqueness and the mood that it creates for me...therefore I don't really care if its lable Masculine or Feminine. However, really floral or girly scents can give me a headache and thats why I wear more "masculine" or neutrual fragrances.

I do like testing feminine scents once in while just out of curiosity and I get anoyed at sales people that come up to me and say...."Oh this are ladies fragrances".

i prefer masculine colognes above all the rest. rive gauche pour homme, gucci envy for men, and knize ten are up there among my current faves. woods, leather, and spice are all very nice then there's l'eau d'issey pour homme, the one "feminine-smelling" men's cologne that i love to wear. it just works well with my skin and smells like citrusy soapiness to my nose. go figure.

Good smelling juices have no sex, so it's people who wear 'em that gives 'em a sex! Like for clothes and hobbies etc, clichés have always had too small boundaries for me... I've always broken banks letting myself flowing freely and this usually makes people incredibly sexy!
    So I always wear and do whatever I like, don't caring about manliness of it! Real manlyness is more related to self confidence and self consciousness; is a quality that beholds to ya and not to what ya wear or do!

Bottom line: I formerly became concerned if a scent I liked was marketed towards women, but now I wear what I like, no problems.

How important to you is a scent's masculinity?

Hey, I'm a guy!!! 8-)

The effemination of men in general leaves men confused as to who they really are. This is a cultural phenomenon and has become visible through the current trend of the "metro" man. Women are still attracted to ultra masculine guys. Period. Just like men are most attracted to ultra female traits. Period.

If your scent says "Hey, a girl of 12 could wear this sweet scent" then your masculinity drops on the scale. That's all right! As long as you dont overdo it and add too many feminine traits to it. Women - in general - are not attracted to feminine men.

A good masculine cologne - for me - makes a statement. The statement of a confident, sexy and MASCULINE guy.