Code of Conduct

Default Scent superstition?

Hi Everyone!
    I'm new to BN, but have greatly appreciated the cameraderie and excellent thoughts here. As a musician, I can readily discern things like augmented 7th chords, but I have yet to develop this level of discernment with fragrances, so I hope you'll bear with my somewhat eccentric thoughts.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to you? Awhile ago I was on this huge, very stressful project at work. One day I had a particular facet of the project go perfectly. I happened to be wearing Desire Blue that day, so I decided to wear it again. This isn't in my regular rotation, and I don't repeat day to day, but I decided to make this an exception. So I ended up wearing it day after day, just as a ballplayer who won't change or wash his socks while on a winning streak. The project ended very successfully, so I'm sure the cologne was responsible! Imagine how well it would have gone if I'd used a very expensive frag!

Are there other folks out there who do this sort of cologne-superstition behavior? Maybe you've got a special frag that always gets you the job, wins the prize, gets your bones jumped, etc.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Scent superstition?

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm new to BN, but have greatly appreciated the cameraderie and excellent thoughts here. *As a musician, I can readily discern things like augmented 7th chords, but I have yet to develop this level of discernment with fragrances, so I hope you'll bear with my somewhat eccentric thoughts.

Has this sort of thing ever happened to you? *Awhile ago I was on this huge, very stressful project at work. *One day I had a particular facet of the project go perfectly. *I happened to be wearing Desire Blue that day, so I decided to wear it again. *This isn't in my regular rotation, and I don't repeat day to day, but I decided to make this an exception. *So I ended up wearing it day after day, just as a ballplayer who won't change or wash his socks while on a winning streak. *The project ended very successfully, so I'm sure the cologne was responsible! * * Imagine how well it would have gone if I'd used a very expensive frag!

Are there other folks out there who do this sort of cologne-superstition behavior? *Maybe you've got a special frag that always gets you the job, wins the prize, gets your bones jumped, etc. *
    I thought it was their jock they didn't change during a winning streak...

To answer your question: No. I'm not superstitious about scents, but I am about lucky pennies, throwing spilled salt over my shoulder, and not opening umbrellas indoors!

Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cćlum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Hey cognoscento, welcome to Basenotes.

I sort of had a "good luck" fragrance -- kind of. I wore Dior Homme on my exam days because, not only did it make me feel good, it made me feel happy. I want to be upbeat and be able to focus all my attention on the task at hand. I guess it wasn't really supersitituous, I was just trying to keep my mind straight. Then again, I also started wearing Rive Gauche during my finals because I thought, if I can't "win," maybe I can distract all the ladies away from the final -- hehe jk!

I think it's less about superstition and more about reality. If there are certain frags that I notice people like, I'll probably wear them at times when I want to impress people. You could maybe call that superstitious, but I think that it's so heavily based on real life and experiences that it is too logical to be considered superstitious. Cog, it's great to have you aboard! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time here, and be sure to let us know if you ever need anything.

lots of musicians here!!

I geneally wear Miliisime Imperial when playing a gig, or Tabarome if its formal and I'm in a suit. I use frags to try to help get my mindset right for different occaisions.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Hey cognoscento, welcome to Basenotes.

I sort of had a "good luck" fragrance -- kind of. I wore Dior Homme on my exam days because, not only did it make me feel good, it made me feel happy. I want to be upbeat and be able to focus all my attention on the task at hand. I guess it wasn't really supersitituous, I was just trying to keep my mind straight. Then again, I also started wearing Rive Gauche during my finals because I thought, if I can't "win," maybe I can distract all the ladies away from the final -- hehe jk!
    Chris,
    Thanks for the welcome! Dior Homme... I'll have to give that a try sometime. Actually I'm with you, I tend not to be at all superstitious, which made it very ironic that I did that - that much stress just does weird things. Fortunately, the stress has abated. I hope folks realize that my nickname is ironic, too, at least for now.

Speaking of Rive Gauche, I just did my first swap for that, so I'm looking forward to the welcome attention that I've heard about from you Rive fans!

Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by hirch duckfinder
    lots of musicians here!!

I geneally wear Miliisime Imperial when playing a gig, or Tabarome if its formal and I'm in a suit. I use frags to try to help get my mindset right for different occaisions.
    Hi Hirch,
    Good to meet a fellow gigster! I like to experiment for gigs, I'll gauge my mood and what I think people might like. And if I'm playing in a restaurant, often the smells are already strong, so sometimes I'll really crank up the dosage!

Wow, you've got about half the Creed line, so far I haven't gotten any of those yet. Those must be nice to have on the gig. Like you, I usually try to wear what fits, but sometimes I like to have something that will deliberately clash just for fun.
    Cheers, D

Great thread and great replies. I like reading about what musicians choose for gigs.

I haven't found too many situations where I want a certain scent, like Chris has about exams, but the thread really hit a chord with me because I know that when I wear L'Artisan Parfumeur's Santal I can look anyone in the eye for as long as I like. A total confidence frag/drug for me. I love it when a scent has such power over my mind.

For a while I started wearing Acqua di Parma on Sundays when the sun was out in the morning and liked that ritual. But I never kept it up.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giraffe
    I think it's less about superstition and more about reality. If there are certain frags that I notice people like, I'll probably wear them at times when I want to impress people. You could maybe call that superstitious, but I think that it's so heavily based on real life and experiences that it is too logical to be considered superstitious. Cog, it's great to have you aboard! I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time here, and be sure to let us know if you ever need anything.
    Hi Giraffe,
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I am having a great time. I'm guessing that you're a tall person. And compared to other online communities I've been in, this one is way more civilized, proving it is possible to have strong opinions without strafing people. Every community is at least somewhat diverse, but to me, it seems that sensitivity to scents attracts a certain quality of person.

In fact, I agree that it's about reality to a large degree - my delivery is pretty dry, and I'll need to use more "irony smilies"!

There's another thing I did once which I haven't seen much on BN, maybe I'll start another thread about it: Most people, as you know, like to wear something that will not asphyxiate their office mates. However, in one office I was in, there was a real jerk sitting across from me - not even minimally polite. So at times I would deliberately wear too much cologne with the intention of annoying him. Since he was completely neanderthal and uncommunicative, I never knew if I was successful, but I really had fun

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB
    I thought it was their jock they didn't change during a winning streak...

To answer your question: No. I'm not superstitious about scents, but I am about lucky pennies, throwing spilled salt over my shoulder, and not opening umbrellas indoors!

Ha ha! Well, I didn't mention where I sprayed the stuff for good luck, either.

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    ...I know that when I wear L'Artisan Parfumeur's Santal I can look anyone in the eye for as long as I like. A total confidence frag/drug for me. I love it when a scent has such power over my mind.
    For a while I started wearing Acqua di Parma on Sundays when the sun was out in the morning and liked that ritual. But I never kept it up.
    --Chris
    Very interesting observations, Dustbin. I believe Eau Sauvage and l'Homme Sage do for me what Santal does for you, and you got me interested in the latter. I can also follow you with AdP and the sun. Clinique Happy and a few other citrus scents do that for me. I would also never wear them on rainy days. I do like mood and scent to be in harmony. There wouldn't be a space left for superstition, Cognoscento, even colors would come first! I rather select scents like 'a-major' versus 'e-minor in specific situations (Acqua di Gio / 4711 are both c-major, certainly...)
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    [quote author=DustB link=1148441731/0#7 date=1148480521]...I know that when I wear L'Artisan Parfumeur's Santal I can look anyone in the eye for as long as I like. A total confidence frag/drug for me. I love it when a scent has such power over my mind.
    --Chris
    Very interesting observations, Dustbin. I believe Eau Sauvage and l'Homme Sage do for me what Santal does for you, and you got me interested in the latter. I can also follow you with AdP and the sun. Clinique Happy and a few other citrus scents do that for me. I would also never wear them on rainy days. I do like mood and scent to be in harmony. There wouldn't be a space left for superstition, Cognoscento, even colors would come first! I rather select scents like 'a-major' versus 'e-minor in specific situations (Acqua di Gio / 4711 are both c-major, certainly...) [/quote]

Buongiorno, Narcus,
    I actually am not superstitious at all, but was a little in this case, and it did get some conversation going, as I'd hoped

Gentlemen, that's a great concept, having something that makes you feel invincible. Platinum Egoiste gives me a feeling close to that. Maybe when I get some really fancy stuff like you folks have, I'll feel even more of that, but right now I'm too cheap. ;D It would be fun to identify the "personality" of each scent, psych profiles. I may do that in my own peculiar way.

When I want to feel like a romantic animal, I wear Jaipur.

Narcus, following on your idea, I'd say that Angel starts with an E7#5#9 at triple fortissimo, then modulates through several minor keys, finally settling down to a quiet G lydian mode harmony.

Ciao, D

Quote Originally Posted by Cognoscento
    Buongiorno, Narcus,
    I actually am not superstitious at all, but was a little in this case, and it did get some conversation going, as I'd hoped
    Gentlemen, that's a great concept, having something that makes you feel invincible. Platinum Egoiste gives me a feeling close to that. Maybe when I get some really fancy stuff like you folks have, I'll feel even more of that, but right now I'm too cheap. ;D It would be fun to identify the "personality" of each scent, psych profiles. I may do that in my own peculiar way.
    When I want to feel like a romantic animal, I wear Jaipur.
    Narcus, following on your idea, I'd say that Angel starts with an E7#5#9 at triple fortissimo, then modulates through several minor keys, finally settling down to a quiet G lydian mode harmony.
    Ciao, D
    You are doing splendidly well, Cognoscento! You knew all along that smell can be music, sculpture or a little poem sometimes! And you already got me lost on Angel. Have you read Turin on perfume yet? There is a little controversy going on right now (threads exist, search 'Turin', and you'll find some of it). He is a genius weaving the sense of smell into other aspects of life and art. Next to always I am lucky to understand his quotations from music and composers, they are fun!

More seriously on superstition: one possible explanation for your success and Desire Blue is that it may have an effect on the creativity center of your brain. Or, it could have constantly reminded you of your determination to succeed. Then your decision to continually wear it during that period was very reasonable (we need not endeavor into how strong jocks/socks must smell to give ball players similar kicks).

On your wardrobe - thanks for opening it from the start - you are being extremely modest! Dollars paid and fragrance received often are not in balance! There are scent collectors in this unique community owning bottles by the hundreds, having tried everything within reach, new and old. If one of these says he finds everything his heart desires within designers' kingdoms, I have no further questions. Old Spice, Grey Flannel could have been, but aren't made by L'Artisan Parfumeur!

EGOISTE:
    http://www.rightonstrategy.com/Movie...er/egoiste.mpg
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    You are doing splendidly well, Cognoscento! You knew all along that smell can be music, sculpture or a little poem sometimes! And you already got me lost on Angel. Have you read Turin on perfume yet? There is a little controversy going on right now (threads exist, search 'Turin', and you'll find some of it). He is a genius weaving the sense of smell into other aspects of life and art. Next to always I am lucky to understand his quotations from music and composers, they are fun!

More seriously on superstition: one possible explanation for your success and Desire Blue is that it may have an effect on the creativity center of your brain. Or, it could have constantly reminded you of your determination to succeed. Then your decision to continually wear it during that period was very reasonable (we need not endeavor into how strong jocks/socks must smell to give ball players similar kicks).

On your wardrobe - thanks for opening it from the start - you are being extremely modest! Dollars paid and fragrance received often are not in balance! There are scent collectors in this unique community owning bottles by the hundreds, having tried everything within reach, new and old. If one of these says he finds everything his heart desires within designers' kingdoms, I have no further questions. Old Spice, Grey Flannel could have been, but aren't made by L'Artisan Parfumeur!

EGOISTE:
    http://www.rightonstrategy.com/Movie...er/egoiste.mpg
    N,
    Thanks for that thoughtful post. In fact, not being as fluent in scent notes (yet), I often grasp for terms I know better from music or prose. But I'm coming along, and I imagine I look funny sniffing every bottle of essential oil in a health food store, for instance.

I've not read Turin per se, but I did read Emperor of Scent, which was fascinating. And thanks to recent posts, I know that Turin is an undiscerning hack! I have read a well-known book on perfume. I don't remember if Turin's material is written in French or Italian? Maybe you're reading the original? Tres bien, molto bene!

About my Angel "chanson"... I think you'd agree that the first blast of it is a very loud, powerful chord, with a lot of tension. Then it proceeds through other harmonies that are not as dissonant, but are still somewhat dark, mysterious, and shifting. Finally, it settles on chocolate, a decidedly major chord, but still with some residual exotic character, thus Lydian instead of straight major. Maybe that language is more evocative than things like E7#5#9! ;D

That Egoiste video is outstanding! Kind of like my life, but less dramatic

GREAT to see fellow musicians on here. I'm a fulltime composer and music producer and for sure there are scents that affect MY mood and attitude and also those that I notice affect how OTHERS see and react to me!
    CDG 2 (the original in the silver bottle) and also the original EDP are both somehow very much winning, good scents for rehearsals, scoring and performing! CDG2 seems to build a protective wall around me and keep me in its modern embrace so that the artist can work unfettered and unpressurised!
    To meetings with Arts Administrators I mostly wear Guerlain Vetiver or Noir Epices (Frederic Malle) OR maybe Eau Noir (Dior) and to meet fellow artists: Habit Rouge/ Une Rose/ Jicky... !
    For when I am creating.. I try every scent under the sun that I have in my collection...
    I love to put myself into different moods and to explore where they take me...
    And oh yes, IF you ever have to go into an intimidating situation full of big big egos..
    make sure you're wearing something VERY you but not too faint.
    Meet fire with fire I say!
    p.s. to calm down.. Hiris - Hermes, Une Rose - Editions de Parfums...

@ Cognoscento:
    E7#5#9 yes, pretty dry for me, the non pro ignorante, but in your own words perfect !
    I read most of Turin in english and german. His Guide I consider more like etudes, and I do not mean Chopin. It is his 'Perfume Notes' of recent years that I admire.

@ Zenman7: - we are reaching new peaks with you! 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by zenman7
    GREAT to see fellow musicians on here. I'm a fulltime composer and music producer and for sure there are scents that affect MY mood and attitude and also those that I notice affect how OTHERS see and react to me!
    CDG 2 (the original in the silver bottle) and also the original EDP are both somehow very much winning, good scents for rehearsals, scoring and performing! CDG2 seems to build a protective wall around me and keep me in its modern embrace so that the artist can work unfettered and unpressurised!
    To meetings with Arts Administrators I mostly wear Guerlain Vetiver or Noir Epices (Frederic Malle) OR maybe Eau Noir (Dior) and to meet fellow artists: Habit Rouge/ Une Rose/ Jicky... !
    For when I am creating.. I try every scent under the sun that I have in my collection...
    I love to put myself into different moods and to explore where they take me...
    And oh yes, IF you ever have to go into an intimidating situation full of big big egos..
    make sure you're wearing something VERY you but not too faint.
    Meet fire with fire I say!
    p.s. to calm down.. Hiris - Hermes, Une Rose - Editions de Parfums...
    Zenman,
    Great meeting you, fellow creator of sonic structures! Hey, if you need a flamenco or classical guitarist, I'm your man. I work hard, can set all kinds of moods, and I'm reasonably priced.

Nice fragrance thoughts! I agree, scents can put you in the frame of mind for the creative activity at hand. Your 'drobe looks like a wishlist for me - with all that fancy stuff like CDG, you must compose and produce very well! I can aspire to your advanced level!

Ciao, Dave

Myself, another musician....B.A. in jazz percussion, although sadly not my true profession...I've stuck with Nicole Miller for Men for all gigs...since 1996...that's 10 years. It goes along with the superstition that absolutely NO ONE sits on my throne leading up to a gig. I was also a hockey player, anyone that knows hockey, well, superstitions are just a way of life. Not getting to play much these days, at least that discontinued frag stays in the collection for VERY special occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by PRBRT33
    Myself, another musician....B.A. in jazz percussion, although sadly not my true profession...I've stuck with Nicole Miller for Men for all gigs...since 1996...that's 10 years. It goes along with the superstition that absolutely NO ONE sits on my throne leading up to a gig. I was also a hockey player, anyone that knows hockey, well, superstitions are just a way of life. Not getting to play much these days, at least that discontinued frag stays in the collection for VERY special occasions.
    Hey PR,
    Good to see you. Musicians are coming out of the woodwork, AND you're the first person to openly admit to a superstition! Excellent! (well, I guess I sort of did).

People keep saying that Nicole Miller is killer - I'll have to get my hands on some of that.

I have a close friend who is a drummer, and he's not exactly superstitious, but extremely fastidious... he sets up with gloves on so that he doesn't get any smudges on his drums, which do, in fact, look brand new. And he is more obsessive than Rain Man about continually adjusting his seat to get it JUST right. We bust him pretty good!

Cheers, D