Code of Conduct

Default Bulgari Black vs John Varvatos

I finally got to try both of these today. Does anyone think smell suspicously alike? I smell an "Unforgivable" copy there. I was comapring a freshly-sprayed strip of the Bulgari to a strip of John V that had dried for about 10 minutes. Also Varvatos is commemorating 1 year of the juice with a special pewter-case botle in a possibly leather version of the box.

There is no Nose....

Default Re: Bulgari Black vs John Varvatos

I have to say that Bulgari Black is way better. I really, really like JV but it is not as good as black. There is nothing bad to say about either of these two. They are both amazing but my taste is for the sweeter BB scent.

I don't think they are very similar. Possibly some but they go in opposite directions after the middle notes.

EnvYuS

Going to add another into the mix as well.

The new Valentino, to me, smelled a lot like John V. So much so that I had to check and make sure I wasn't putting on the wrong thing.

I'm going to do a test this weekend and put Valentino on one wrist and John V on the other.

DrB

PS Pewter Bottle? Leather box? ::whimper:: I want!

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    I have to say that Bulgari Black is way better. I really, really like JV but it is not as good as black. There is nothing bad to say about either of these two. They are both amazing but my taste is for the sweeter BB scent.

I don't think they are very similar. Possibly some but they go in opposite directions after the middle notes.

EnvYuS

I second nearly every point made here. The only thing I don't agree with and I think it's subjective, is that I do not think of BB as sweet.

One more note about the Bulgari Black. A few days ago I asked a sales rep at Macy's about it and she replied in a friendly but athoritative voice that "its been cancelled". For some reason (probably her face and long, long legs) I believed her and didn't think about it again until *surprise!* there it was on the shelf of sephora. I guess for a dept. store rep, cancelled = "my store doesn't sell it anymore". It would be nice if fragrance counters were staffed only by true frag fanatics.
    There is no Nose....

Fragrances are often "Delisted" from stores, meaning distribution is being pulled back and sales people misinform customers by telling them that their favourite scent is being discontinued.

On me, *and, I suspect on most everyone else's skin, *they do not smell even remotely alike.

Beware of paper strips, Olfa. *BTW, were those the only two you smelled at the time, *or did you indulge in more scents? This may have something to do with it . . .

Anyway, Bulgari Black is one of my all time favorite orientals--Love its evil aura. *Let others call it sillage *

John Varvatos is a fruit picking, compliment gathering attention getter. *It's OK and pungently obnoxious. *I suppose that if it had been released as a niche scent, preferably by CDG, *many BN'ers would be singing its praises.

Cheers,

Mario 8-)
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

I find them very very different. JV is exotic fruits and leather, with a sharp tree-bark like opening and too much goopy vanilla in the base- "organic" or "crunchy" smelling. Bulgari Black is smoke and rubber, l'eau de Batman, over the lightest and least-sweet vanilla I know- "synthetic" and "urban" smelling. Totally different impressions on my nostrils.

No. I think there's vanilla in both, but they're very different. If I had both, I'd wear Black in the summer and JV in the winter. Black's a fresher scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani

John Varvatos is a fruit picking, compliment gathering attention getter. *It's OK and pungently obnoxious. *I suppose that if it had been released as a niche scent, *preferably by CDG, *many BN'ers would be singing its praises.
    What's your basis for this contention? This is insulting to the list as a whole to put it mildly.

I prefer JV over BB, JV smelling of the sophistication of leather and wool, much like DK Fuel, but I equate DKF to suede. BB on the other hand smells of smoky wood and vanilla and reminiscent to Body Kouros. BB is transparent a la Bulgari and its steroidic counterpart is definitely BK.

I don't think JV and BB smell alike IMO, but they're worthy of trying on the skin to let the scent fully bloom and you'll see how different they are.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!