Code of Conduct

Default Any non-niche similar to Vétiver Extraordinaire?

I loved the sample of VE I got recently, but I'm wondering if I can get something similar with a smaller price.

I also love Terre d'Hermes.

Default Re: Any non-niche similar to Vétiver Extraordinair

Quote Originally Posted by youngscholar
    I loved the sample of VE I got recently, but I'm wondering if I can get something similar with a smaller price.

I also love Terre d'Hermes.
    Try Adolfo Dominguez' Vetiver Hombre!
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

Pieter,

I did a search on your recommendation and YIKES!!! It's $499. Sounds great but not that great.

Heh, I've been looking for a good vetiver and managed to find some Vetiver Hombre on ebay yesterday!

It's a 120ml EDT tester, used once, and without a cap! But bloody hell, it was only 38 Euros from a seller in Spain as opposed to $500 everywhere else (although I am wondering whether this stuff flows like water in Spain and it's actually dirt cheap ).

The guy's got 1000+ feedback all at 100%, and he's been a seller since 2003, so I'm hopeful it'll be the genuine article! Oh I love the excitement of bargain buying online.. is it real or isn't it??

The regular duty free price at Spanish airports was € 30 for 120 ml last time I checked. Otherwise it's hard to come by but definitely worth the effort.
    Lovesick the wind that carries it

This place has some relatively inexpensive Spanish perfumes: http://store.deliciasdeespana.com There are some Dominguez' things there too.

MikeD, great info. The Vetiver was $62 at that website. Here is the link to the product which took me a few minutes to locate...

http://store.deliciasdeespana.com/in...cturers_id=114

Sure beats $499!

Some may disagree, of course, but you should try Cartier`s Declaration Essence. Definitely. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

My jaw has dropped to the floor when I've read that Adolfo Domínguez Vetiver sells for almost $500!!
    Here in Spain it is sold even at supermarket chains, I don't know at what price but I'd say it must be around 30-40€ for 100ml. I have always overlooked it, being so easily available, but now that I know it has a cult status, I'll have to check next time!
    "It is the mark of a brave man to admit defeat, cut his loss and move on." - David Ogilvy

Hey Pigeon Murderer, since there isn't any info on Declaration Essence, can you describe it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    Some may disagree, of course, but you should try Cartier`s Declaration Essence. Definitely. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Then I'll be the first

Declaration, to me, is centered around a sour cardamom-note, making it smell dirty, whilst VE has that little earthy, but in one way, clean-smelling vetiver-note, making them very different, IMO....

Quote Originally Posted by keeg
    [quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1148202034/0#7 date=1148390192]Some may disagree, of course, but you should try Cartier`s Declaration Essence. Definitely. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Then I'll be the first

Declaration, to me, is centered around a sour cardamom-note, making it smell dirty, whilst VE has that little earthy, but in one way, clean-smelling vetiver-note, making them very different, IMO....

[/quote]

VE is very unique scent in a way, and it`s quite hard to find a comparison, at least in my experience. However, let me give you some key-words to lighten up my opinion with similarity: Fresh light "a-bit-moist-smokiness", birchleaf-like smell, vetiver, balanced sensuality, dry-wood boards in Finnish sauna. ;D

ps. Essence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigeon Murderer
    [quote author=keeg link=1148202034/0#10 date=1148392067][quote author=Pigeon Murderer link=1148202034/0#7 date=1148390192]Some may disagree, of course, but you should try Cartier`s Declaration Essence. Definitely. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Then I'll be the first

[/quote]

VE is very unique scent in a way, and it`s quite hard to find a comparison, at least in my experience. However, let me give you some key-words to lighten up my opinion with similarity: Fresh light "a-bit-moist-smokiness", birchleaf-like smell, vetiver, balanced sensuality, dry-wood boards in Finnish sauna. ;D

ps. Essence. [/quote]

Hmm..Guess I need to check out the Essence-version again...Didn't get much sauna-feeling from the original, but I can see what you mean about this in VE....

Come from Norway, so I know saunas well, too

Whoo! I received my Vetiver Hombre today and man, what a nice fragrance. It's so fresh and clean. It's got a really peppery edge to it which is really really nice. Our practice manager certainly approved of it when she had a sniff too The strange thing is that is smells awfully familiar, but I'm pretty sure I've never owned a vetiver before. The only thing I can think of is a small green bottle I got in a pack of five miniatures at an airport absolutely yonks ago; I can remember what the other four were, but not that little green bottle.

Mind you, my memory might not be what it was; I'd also managed to get some Colours by Alexander Julian, and it's just uber-flowers.. it actually makes me feel quite queasy smelling it - the worst thing is : I've had some of this before as the smell is so distinctive; I must've made a mental block on my previous ownership.. never again.

Thumbs up for the Vetiver Hombre, but the Colours.. eurgh.. Colors by Benetton = good / Colours by A.Julian = yuck