Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Iris Gris by Fath

Someone posted recently asking about this scent, and at the time, I couldn't find any reference to it. I was just searching for the original thread and couldn't find it quickly, so I'm posting this.

In looking through a reference book, I found that Fath created Iris Gris in 1946. Unfortunately, that's all the information the article contained about this fragrance. I hope the person who was looking for it finds this thread and that this information can help them in their quest.
    Last edited by JaimeB; 30th November 2007 at 11:47 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Iris Gris by Fath

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Someone posted recently asking about this scent, and at the time, I couldn't find any reference to it. I was just searching for the original thread and couldn't find it quickly, so I 'm posting this.

In looking through a reference book, I found that Fath created Iris Gris in 1946. Unfortunately, that's all the information the article contained about this fragrance. I hope the person who was looking for it finds this thread and that this information can help them in their quest.
    If I remember correctly, didn't Fath halt production on this, because it was too expensive to produce?

That didn't seem to stop Clive Christian did it?

I'm going to be trying this some time when I get a bunch of iris scents to sample, so I'll report back with as much detail as my uneducated nose allows.
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 30th November 2007 at 09:37 PM.

Very few will be lucky enough to smell this (me included so far). It was attributed to perfumer Vincent Roubert.

Some pics from the Osmotheque's website:

Quote Originally Posted by sofresh View Post
    Very few will be lucky enough to smell this (me included so far). It was attributed to perfumer Vincent Roubert.
    Well, it's expensive, but if you want it, it's certainly available. It's not luck; it's about how one wastes ones money.

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    Well, it's expensive, but if you want it, it's certainly available. It's not luck; it's about how one wastes ones money.
    True indeed. I saw they had samples of it available on TPC. I've yet to see a full bottle for sale anywhere...but I'm sure they're out there for heavy cheddar.

I tried a little bit of this this morning, and was somewhat surprised by the scent: I was expecting something heavy and complex like the Carons, but instead found a very plain, almost minimalist iris.
    Of the four iris fragrances I've tried - Cuir d'Iris, Bois d'Argent, Cuir Ottoman and Iris Bleu Gris - this is most similar to Iris Bleu Gris. This is an iris fragrance, not a fragrance with a dominant note of iris: I could detect little else, except a few very quiet florals and possibly something vanillic in the base. The iris itself is a little soapy, but nothing like the soap bomb Iris Bleu Gris was on my skin, and in general, more polished, more refined and gentler. Iris Gris is totally unisex to my nose; Bois d'Argent is much sweeter.
    This is an interesting, well-made perfume and I'm sorry it's out of production, however, it's demise is hardly the Greek tragedy some people make it out to be, especially with so many good iris scents out now ( some of which I hope to be ordering shortly! )